Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

trauma llama posted:

Get yourself a Bottle of Perrenial's Sump next time it is released (January). Because that is an incredibly delicious coffee stout. Basically just cold brewed coffee with some malty sweetness.

Copious bottles of that got me through the winter.

Sump doesn't compare to this stuff. Seriously.

Also, Sump- like pretty much all Perennial- is kinda "meh," especially for the effort required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

Also, Sump- like pretty much all Perennial- is kinda "meh," especially for the effort required.

sooooo wrong, and i'm (kind of) a (P)erennial hater

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

funkybottoms posted:

I Agree with funkybottoms. Fresh Sump is awesome. I was fortunate enough to be living in St. Louis when it was last released.

Perennial does some good stuff, but the hype machine is insanely strong. I really think Abraxas is decidedly average, and their year round stuff isn't great. I enjoy their special releases and their "the last word" was awesome. They really could use some mellowing out. That place is outrageously pretentious.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

FBS is a better coffee beer and I'm an avowed Founders hater!

Anyone had the new Boulevard Aztec Chocolate Imperial Stout? I was very happy with the coffee variant (also better than Sump!) they released a few months ago.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So, Randall Jr exploration is fun.

Anyone have one of these? Any successful blends?

My favorite so far was the BCBS w/ Cinnamon Toast Crunch and cacao nibs.

I took a Weyerbacher Tiny and added marshmallows, toasted coconut and milk chocolate. That was outstanding.

It's kind of funf ucking with my favorite stouts and seeing what happens. Thinking aobut mango-ing/pineapple-ing some IPAs...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Vertigo posted:

So, Randall Jr exploration is fun.

i looked at pictures of this thing and is there more to it than "big cup with a strainer lid"?

also, you should totally throw crushed-up Girl Scout cookies in there

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

i looked at pictures of this thing and is there more to it than "big cup with a strainer lid"?

also, you should totally throw crushed-up Girl Scout cookies in there

No. Its pretty much a thermos with a strainer lid.

I have found, however that it holds carbonation very well. The BCBS was still carbed after an hour

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

krustster posted:

I blasted a pretty decent Old Stock vertical (2010-2014) thanks in part to the magnanimous ChickenArise. It sure was cool to see how it changed year to year, after already having seen the surprisingly big difference between 2015 and 2014. Most of us agreed that 2011 and 2012 were the best and roughly the same as each other, taking on kind of a bourbon-like boozy aspect without the overbearing sweetness of a fresh one, and the 2010 had blended together to make more of a "dark fruit" taste which was good and all but starting to lose the depth. It was pretty crazy to see how different it was compared to the '11. The takeaway from this scientific experiment: age your Old Stock for 3 years for tastiest results. 4 year was pretty much the same as 3, and 5 year was starting to become not as good.
I'm glad they weren't a weird oxidized mess! I probably still have a few bottles left of the 12 and 13 that I should get on before too long.

trauma llama posted:

I Agree with funkybottoms. Fresh Sump is awesome. I was fortunate enough to be living in St. Louis when it was last released.

Perennial does some good stuff, but the hype machine is insanely strong. I really think Abraxas is decidedly average, and their year round stuff isn't great. I enjoy their special releases and their "the last word" was awesome. They really could use some mellowing out. That place is outrageously pretentious.
The price is my main issue. I get a good bit of their stuff on draft at a decent price point, but the bottles are just too much vs other options. That said, I do fork out for a couple of bottles of Sump.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

A friend of mine bought a bottle of Toppling Goliath's Kentucky Brunch for $350 a coupe years ago. I called him an idiot at the time.

He just sold it last week for $1000.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

A friend of mine bought a bottle of Toppling Goliath's Kentucky Brunch for $350 a coupe years ago. I called him an idiot at the time.

That is ludicrous. That is Blauw or higher territory.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm sure the person who dropped the G on it appreciates aged coffee beers. Because those are ALWAYS great...

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

danbanana posted:

I'm sure the person who dropped the G on it appreciates aged coffee beers. Because those are ALWAYS great...

I'm sure the person who dropped a G on it just did it so they could post pics online and whip out their big beer dick at the bottle share

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

MunchE posted:

I'm sure the person who dropped a G on it just did it so they could post about their sweet ROI online

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I'm finding my tastes in beer changing from stouts, to IPAs and the lambic/fruited beers. And it's not even about the time of year. I'm just finding so much more variety in taste in these beers as opposed to your typical stout.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Vertigo posted:

variety in taste in these beers as opposed to your typical stout.

Every "top tier" stout is 99% the same loving thing. Chasing stoutwalez is dumb.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

a worthy uhh posted:

Every "top tier" stout is 99% the same loving thing. Chasing stoutwalez is dumb.

Can confirm. The difference between WalezBro IRS Of The Month Wax Sealed Pappy Barrel and Ten Fidy or Stone IRS is minimal.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MunchE posted:

Can confirm. The difference between WalezBro IRS Of The Month Wax Sealed Pappy Barrel and Ten Fidy or Stone IRS is minimal.

There is a difference but it's not worth the price or hassle that some of these beers warrant. But if people want to be dumb, sure let them be dumb. I'm just going to laugh at people buying cases of the whale of the week at release while I think even one bottle is splurging.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

a worthy uhh posted:

And the 1% is brewed by InBev!

There's diminishing returns with all styles. At this point, there's a widely available shelf version of every "whale" at half the cost that's 80% as good. We're pretty lucky with that. That said, there's something awesome about getting to try something that IS legitimately "top-tier."

But nothing is worth $1,000 for a tick, especially a two plus year old coffee stout.

vanstevens
Jan 2, 2015
Goons (more specifically MichiGoons), My cousin is getting married this summer in Michigan. What are some beers I can bring him from Florida that are not available in Michigan? Basically, what's not distributed in Michigan that should be? Thanks!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

vanstevens posted:

Goons (more specifically MichiGoons), My cousin is getting married this summer in Michigan. What are some beers I can bring him from Florida that are not available in Michigan? Basically, what's not distributed in Michigan that should be? Thanks!

Cigar City Brewing springs to mind.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

vanstevens posted:

Ccb, Funky Buddha, coppertail can/bottle stuff worth bringing.

vanstevens
Jan 2, 2015

vanstevens posted:

Is there anything not from Florida that's particularly hard to find? I have most of my Florida bases covered.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'd also throw in Rapp and if you're a JWB member then that too yeah. You try looking on seekabrew?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

And the 1% is brewed by InBev!

There's diminishing returns with all styles. At this point, there's a widely available shelf version of every "whale" at half the cost that's 80% as good. We're pretty lucky with that. That said, there's something awesome about getting to try something that IS legitimately "top-tier."

But nothing is worth $1,000 for a tick, especially a two plus year old coffee stout.

If only I could find something that's 80% as good as Double Barrel Hunahpu.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

If only I could find something that's 80% as good as Double Barrel Hunahpu.

Luckily you can get a whole 4 pack of DBH for the cost of just a single KBBS!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

Anti-Hero is a crappy IPA and you should feel bad for drinking it.

That said, always drink more Revolution!

Anti hero is top tier. I'd drink it over pretty much any Chicago-available ipa.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Belching Beaver Peanut Butter Milk Stout has very little peanut butter and a heavy copper taste. I'm used to that in this style but it seems heavier with this. Gotta say I was kind of hoping for a Blackwater level dessert beer and this definitely isn't that.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
The Klamath Basin Brewery Vanilla Porter tastes like an A&W cream soda. If they made an imperial version it would totally be my go to dessert beer.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

ShaneB posted:

Anti hero is top tier. I'd drink it over pretty much any Chicago-available ipa.

Yum yum may not be an ipa, but it is far superior. Too bad it's so expensive most places.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

trauma llama posted:

Yum yum may not be an ipa, but it is far superior. Too bad it's so expensive most places.

I haven't had a Yum Yum outside the brewpub that wasn't a diacetyl bomb. Bad buttery off flavor. Maybe the early production batches were bad.

Modern Times Aurora smells like a barleywine. Looks like a barleywine. Tastes like a barleywine. Is the lowest ABV barleywine I've ever had. Nice beer but definitely not what I expected.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

danbanana posted:

I haven't had a Yum Yum outside the brewpub that wasn't a diacetyl bomb. Bad buttery off flavor. Maybe the early production batches were bad.

That may be the case. I haven't noticed any diacetyl at all. It also has a very strong citrus flavor to it when fresh but the hops mellow/die off faster than any other beer I've tasted.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

The Klamath Basin Brewery Vanilla Porter tastes like an A&W cream soda. If they made an imperial version it would totally be my go to dessert beer.

Ohhhh you have fine taste; in Bend that is one of my go-to cheapo bombers at the supermarket.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
I think ChickenArise mentioned it earlier but I was able to grab some Solar Abyss tonight. Didn't feel like dealing with the brewery Saturday but they put some into distribution and grabbed some today at Whole Foods. I think it's goddamn delicious. This is definitely up my alley double IPA wise. Juice and citrus bomb way in the forefront. Wings is incredibly amazing but definitely has more of a hop bite. Glad to have these beers around here. Anyone tried Double Duckpin from Union in Baltimore? I think it's a pretty impressive DIPA also.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

I haven't had a Yum Yum outside the brewpub that wasn't a diacetyl bomb. Bad buttery off flavor.

This exactly matches my experience with Yum Yum.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

crazyfish posted:

This exactly matches my experience with Yum Yum.

I guess I need to pick up another 6 pack. It's been awhile since I've had it.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Had a good time at the Synek launch party for Tampa last night at the Brew Hub in Lakeland. Some people drove crazy distances to be there(Some people from Ft Myers and Tarpon Springs) even though they knew they weren't getting their units(I guess they sold more than they thought in the Cincinnati and St Louis stops). Got to talk with the founder of the company for a while, interestingly enough, he wasn't even a huge craft beer fan when he started the company, he just wanted to do something to help craft brewers distribute their beer. They are also going to try and setup a marketplace for shipping the 1 gallon Synek bags of beer around the country from various breweries as they're saying that the properly filled cartridges should have a shelf life of 4-6 months. I'm hoping they can do that for some of the smaller breweries who don't can or bottle. If you're around when they come through your area the launch parties are worth checking out.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I think I've reached end game, I truly feel like I just beat the final boss. The simple comment "gently caress trading, let's drink the beer together" turned into something far crazier that's I imagined. Philly goons Hatful and a worthy uhh are loving awesome!

The short version of this post: drink your fruited beers fresh. Unless it's lambic, you're on your own there, and I have no clue how they can become magical or taste like band aid.

3 Fonteinen Hommage 2013 and Framboos 2014 were the reasons last night happened. It's a killer side by side. Fresh raspberry was quite prominent on the boos, while Hommage is... how do I not make a Pokemon simile here, it's taken on a far deeper 3F funk signature, basically on a whole new level compared to the other times I've tried it.

My buddy brought this back from his crazy Copenhagen/Euro trip:

Cantillon Blabaer has ripe blueberry on the nose, and at first I felt it wasn't what I expected since it didn't have that jammy texture that Nocturn Chrysalis has. Now that I've had time to think about it, the flavor profile blending fresh fruit and Cantillon funk is near identical to Fou Foune; meaning I think drinking this beer as fresh as possible is the best way to really get the most of the fruit character. Blueberry is mostly on aroma and the depth of the flavor comes from the Cantillon funky profile. I do like this beer a lot, but be warned that it's a palate crusher, so it's perfect for a small pour. Not close to Upland pH, just felt it's harsh for Cantillon.

poo poo got real when a worthy uhh managed to land this.

I begged Trevor to trade me one of these after I gave him my second bottle of Cerveza de Tempranillo, but he was firm that it's off the table, so I just figured it's the new addition to the list of beers I'll never try.

One year ago, I could see this easily being the best de Garde beer; it's definitely meant to drink while fresh, versus how Archer and Biere Rose can improve over time. I'm forever the de Garde fanboy either way, the tempranillo flavor is far bigger versus the JK Tempranillo beer. Oaky yet not hot/boozy.

The right thing to do was to properly thank a worthy uhh for landing my PNW white whale.

Ale Apothecary The Beer Formerly Known As La Tache Rum Barrel aged with White Peaches

I fully wrote that out for a reason, because I am ashamed to confess having zero recollection of how this tasted fresh. Hate to say it, this is actually the second time I've had this beer. I didn't check it into untappd because I decided slaying a liter each of Convivial and Tilquin while waiting in line at WTF last year was a good way to kill time before Fou Foune was poured. After having Fou, I have a very faint memory of running into this at Ale Apothecary's table. Welp.

This beer was eye opening in the same sense as Block 15 Fuzzy Wuzzy, Peche and Brett, Crooked Stave Persica, and Imperial Peach Bu. All awesome peach beers yet they're nothing like this one. Very fresh peach on the nose, which is absurd for a beer over a year old! The delicate peach and moderate champagne carb on the mouthfeel was such a tease that was like an invitation to take more sips. The booze being dominant is what I would expect from the rum barrel and peach combo, and this is truly remarkable because of how the rum was subtle and the barrel heat is more of a soothing complement. Subtle/delicate is what speaks to me the most these days, and this hit all the marks for me. While I haven't tried it, the description for Chez Monus, or perhaps the New Glarus Peach, might make those two the only similar beers, but the rum barrel aging is so outstanding. Just more proof of the potential for beer with stone fruits to be mindblowing.

Oh yeah! Surprise of the night: Cigar City/The Answer Good Night Mekong, aka the east coast's take on Alesmith Vietnamese Coffee Speedway. Smooth, not super sweet, very nice!

Uhh ... how do we follow this, we still have more beer to drink tonight.

air- fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 3, 2015

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

Uhh ... how do we follow this, we still have more beer to drink tonight.

drive down to Richmond?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Damnit you made Eric drink the Blaeber?

Glad you guys enjoyed the Good Night Mekong, it was easy to get him two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

help, I'm dead