Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

Zsinjeh posted:

Most people? As far as I can tell it's just you
https://www.reddit.com/r/Harmontown/comments/30o01l/demorge/ I take it back, clearly all these people are pointing out his lackluster presence

Maybe you haven't noticed by now, but that subreddit is wall-to-wall circle jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MY ABACUS! posted:

Maybe you haven't noticed by now, but that subreddit is wall-to-wall circle jerks.

And not to pile on, but its telling that that thread is two months old. Demorge has been on practically every show this year and most fans can't remember a single thing he's done since his first appearance as Obama.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I don't think anyone is claiming reddit is or isn't a circlejerk. Most people are just pointing out the absurdity of reading reddit at all.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I don't think there's a lot to be gained from looking at harmontown as a show really. It's basically just Dan and Jeff inviting people they like to hang out with them for an hour. I agree that Demorge isn't as funny as a lot of their guests but frankly I'd rather listen to dan and jeff just hang out with cool people for two hours than a full-on show where they purposefully try to choose people based on what they think their audience wants. That's literally every other podcast.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I get the feeling Irish Joe listens to podcasts while he works (crafting horse-centric portraiture) which he needs to be at a certain level to get into his groove. He has to be at his best for his equinology to really take off, you know. It really puts the pressure on.

He puts the podcast on, stares at the canvas and starts sketching, painting the background and then he falls into a haze. When he breaks out of it and realizes he drew another god-damned Friesian playing a saxophone in space he has nowhere else to point blame but at DeMorge being too bland.

I only listen to Harmontown in 10-30 minute chunks while I do menial stuff so I don't mind that it's not particularly well-crafted nor has a specific through-line each episode that bears paying attention to. Also if you wanted to sound like a wanker you could say Harmontown is supposed to be about, like, the freedom to feel around and without you know, restrictions, guy, so who cares if some of the people who talk aren't exceptional. "Harmeenians" and moon bases and all that.

edit: A potential IJ original

Giggs fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 23, 2015

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I just wish they either committed to Shadowrun by starting before they were too drunk to move the plot forward or dropped the pretense and just go with the flow and stop trying to force it into a meaningless ten minutes that pleases no one.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Wow, the drop in quality from last week's episode to this week's episode is incredibly jarring.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I just wish they either committed to Shadowrun by starting before they were too drunk to move the plot forward or dropped the pretense and just go with the flow and stop trying to force it into a meaningless ten minutes that pleases no one.

Hope for another three and a half years? Shadowrun was the SOLUTION to the group not being able to focus on D&D.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
bad ep

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"I accidentally bumped into a cop one time. I'm lucky I'm not dead."

-millionaire celebrity, Dan Harmon

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Jeff's delivery of "Is it your dick?" was loving perfect.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just starting in on this thread.
I saw them live in Portland (penis size and Human Centipede episode. My GF was the only person who had seen #3) and was disappointed at how short it felt.

We ended up going to the same bar afterwards and that was way more fun. Dan was constantly double-fisting glasses of Ketel One, Spencer ate six boxes of blackberries and Jeff got turned down by a pretty lady that was taller than him (and he is loving tall) and made a little bit of a stink.
He went to a strip club next door for about an hour and came back very happy.

I kissed Dan's belly and the Spencer disappeared into some bushes.
That was a fun night.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Ok which one of you is Skylar?

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Spencer disappeared into some bushes.
That was a fun night.

I imagine that's how every night ends for him. He walks off into the shadows to be reborn again the next day at noon.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Wow, Dan was especially blackout drunk in this episode. Came right out of the gate ranting like a crazy hobo on a street corner.

Edit: Ep got much better once Emily and Kumail got on stage.

qbert fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 30, 2015

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

qbert posted:

Wow, Dan was especially blackout drunk in this episode. Came right out of the gate ranting like a crazy hobo on a street corner.

Edit: Ep got much better once Emily and Kumail got on stage.

Can't we all agree that Kumail is basically the best thing ever? He's pure gold on the podcast.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fishvilla posted:

Can't we all agree that Kumail is basically the best thing ever? He's pure gold on the podcast.

I couldn't even get five minutes into this episode. When does Kumail show up?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
A bunch of well to do Hollywood people congratulating each other on their breakthroughs in therapy isn't my idea of a high time. The show needs more Jeff, he seems to be the only person concerned with keeping things funny.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Tard laugh in full force this ep

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

It's a shame that there seems to be 2-3 regulars now with some of the worst laughs committed to vocal cords, and I hope they are each surrounded by a circular buffer of friends so that no unsuspecting first time audience member gets their ear drums blown out. Dan bringing up the "HA HA HA HAAAA" guy a few months ago humanized him for me for about two episodes, now I'm back to being a guy that gets angry at laughing people on a free podcast. :(

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I think the problem is that we let these people get away with it for too long... More bullying please

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
First Ep in a long time I couldn't finish. Emily Gordon made the whole thing intolerable. I enjoyed his early rants with Jeff.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
It was a bummer that because Emily brought it up, they didn't rip on those non-appearance compliments as much as everyone did 2 weeks ago for Dan's stupid people-are-light book. I'm at least glad that Kumail and Jeff mocked how lovely "You have a nice voice" is, though. I've gotten that many times before and it really just does make me self-conscious of what a 5-at-best I am.

And that loving laugh is getting unbearable. I can't truly believe that is a 100% genuine involuntary reaction a human body makes. At least after I was done, I listened to the latest How Did This Get Made where, by coincidence, Adam Pally and Jason Mantzoukas just tore into the terrible live crowd and it was cathartic as hell.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 2, 2015

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

holy poo poo kumail's wife sucks

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
God drat this was a hard one to get through. It was like listening to two hours of stoned high school sophomores talk about philosophy.
Take a minute to process the idea that someone is paying Emily Gordon to write a book.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Have you guys never met a clinical therapist before? Emily was par for the course for them, and seeing as my best friend is a Ph.D. therapist, I rather enjoyed her as a guest. So much so that I immediately looked up her and Kumail's podcast.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

EnsGDT posted:

I immediately looked up her and Kumail's podcast.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! OH GOD I'M TOO LATE!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I tolerate Emily's unfunniness and lack of compelling input because she is an objectively amazing person. That's why everyone gives her a pass. She is really comedy poison though, and she's also severely uncool. But she's so happy and satisfied with her life that she dgaf

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I still found her more funny and entertaining than Erin.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Emily herself is an great person and in real life her and Kumail must be the best couple in the universe. But on a podcast that straddles a line between self-deprecation and self-obsession her presence kept it too far in self-obsession. Jeff has better instincts to keep the mocking tone and must have been asleep at the desk. Comptroll or something Jeff!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I thought she was fine. You guys are crazy

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Drunkboxer posted:

I thought she was fine. You guys are crazy

Me too. I welcome anyone who brings some actual insight into the show.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

The Erland posted:

Me too. I welcome anyone who brings some actual insight into the show.

I thought she was fine as well, but she brought pablum, not insight. Which is fine.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Even though it was entry-level philosophy, I though she was charming and Kumail is always welcome.

Not sure how people "can't get through an episode". What do expect when the format is, "fat alcoholic yells his bad opinions".

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
How do you even listen to this podcast you guys lmao, show rules

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Emily wasn't good, but it made me appreciate Erin.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
So, what, is Emily not one of the good ones anymore? And this wasn't the best episode of the show yet? I agree with the idea that she seems like a great person but maybe not a great entertainer, I don't think Dan helped her out any though with his questions.

It's amazing how sometimes Dan's rants are uniquely perceptive and bring up some sound, new ideas but then he'll go and be mesmerised by some really basic level pseudo-psychology. For so long I assumed that he was transcending established concepts, but now I'm beginning to wonder if he was just unaware of them until now. At this rate I half expect him to come to the show one day espousing the virtue of applying hot water and soap to your skin. Still an entertaining show though, even if it's been consistently less funny of late.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Viginti posted:

At this rate I half expect him to come to the show one day espousing the virtue of applying hot water and soap to your skin.

Don't hold your breath

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i thought emily was cool and fun

really confused about the anti-emily poo poo talking. what about it was so bad? gonna just toss a grenade here but, was it too much bj femininism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I think this might be one of the occurrences where the internet isn't being misogynistic but cynical. Anyone offended by PC philosophies would have tuned out by now (or maybe not given how many people are waiting each week to listen to the show and poo poo on it live) but there are plenty of people turned off by the level of sincerity and self-interest displayed in the conversations she was a part of. Again I think this is mostly Dan's doing, Emily has plenty of opinions on Geek relevant topics but was only asked about therapy and so that's all she was able to talk about. If you were unaware of her before now I can see her coming across as uninteresting or even grating with only this conversation and the constant praise to go on.

Despite being a fan of both of them I can't abide The Indoor Kids anymore though. It takes the relaxed, conversation style of podcasting to a bad extreme.