Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
My dumb, poorly-considered thoughts on this update's maps:

- Powerhouse: Had a great time playing this one. The inside of the bases can be pretty stalemate-y sometimes, though, and some rooms look oddly plain.
- Borneo: Seems alright. Nothing too amazing, but a fun enough payload map. Custom assets blend in well with Valve's.
- Sujin: Every map in TF2 runs at ~100fps for me, except this one which drops to ~30. Also, it's basically a very pretty corridor.
- Snowplow: Unclear what relevance the train has to the CP objectives, frequent crashes, sometimes floods the console with errors every frame... Valve Was Right. The addition of music is nice, though. TF2 should have more contextual music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I kept getting stuck on/blocked by the train when I played on Snowplow because it was invisible. :( Had a similar thing on Borneo where I kept bumping into invisible trees.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
apparently there is a crafting glitch right now where you can make promo, default, and possibly even australium weapons :aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FSwLb-anew

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

It's kind of amazing how ugly most of the weapon skins are, considering that CSGO skins are great these days. They could have gotten some the people who make those skins to make some for the first tf2 batch but instead we get... plaid.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Desperate Character posted:

apparently there is a crafting glitch right now where you can make promo, default, and possibly even australium weapons :aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FSwLb-anew

Think that works for every class or just Spy?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Well, did everyone enjoy your 5 minutes of contracts for £4?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Kins posted:

- Snowplow: Unclear what relevance the train has to the CP objectives, frequent crashes, sometimes floods the console with errors every frame... Valve Was Right. The addition of music is nice, though. TF2 should have more contextual music.
BLU loses when the train blows up, for every ~30 seconds it sits at a cap point it takes 10% damage. It seems to get some health back when it moves to another point, though.

I'm not totally clear on this though because I have a bug where the snowplow train is invisible except for the icicles hanging off it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Why is cactus canyon still in beta.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because they're probably satisfied with the layout and are doing a proper art pass on it.

Or maybe Valve doesn't give a poo poo about it anymore and are going to forget it ever existed.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
There is a bug where the game no longer shows the model of the festive rocket launcher.

How will everybody know they are being killed by my strange professional festive killstreak rocket launcher!?

:saddowns:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Desperate Character posted:

The video won't play for me. How do you craft Australium weapons, specifically?

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Xander77 posted:

The video won't play for me. How do you craft Australium weapons, specifically?

Like crafting any regular old weapon. One class token and slot token and a scrap. Just make sure to do it in the custom recipe slot, I think? Instead of just the unlocks, you can also get the rest of the weapons in that slot, including promos and australium. The recipe works with any class and slot, not just spy.

GameboyHero fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 3, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Last time there was a glitch that let you craft things you shouldn't, Valve replaced all the resulting items with a "nice try" item, so you might well be wasting metal and weapons by doing this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Kins posted:

Last time there was a glitch that let you craft things you shouldn't, Valve replaced all the resulting items with a "nice try" item, so you might well be wasting metal and weapons by doing this.

That was because said item wasn't even usable by players. It was a coding thing for the MVM robots that somehow slipped into the crafting system.

Has anyone even pulled it off? It might have gotten hotfixed by Valve already.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. Fetus posted:

That was because said item wasn't even usable by players. It was a coding thing for the MVM robots that somehow slipped into the crafting system.

Has anyone even pulled it off? It might have gotten hotfixed by Valve already.
Here's some results folks posted on Facepunch:

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
Suijin is a really nice looking map, but jesus christ is it badly designed, there's no point going anywhere because it's literally just a straight line meatgrinder from Spawn to the Cap with snipers headshotting people on the point from right outside their spawn door.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some dumb idiot posted:

Suijin is a really nice looking map, but jesus christ is it badly designed, there's no point going anywhere because it's literally just a straight line meatgrinder from Spawn to the Cap with snipers headshotting people on the point from right outside their spawn door.

This was mentioned to the creator when it was first being playtested on the tf2maps servers and I guess they never felt a need to do anything about it.

But it's pretty! You can be a samurai! Bushido! Bokeh! Japanese stuff!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Kins posted:

Here's some results folks posted on Facepunch:
Ok. Is there a particular class + slot combo that's more likely to pay off in terms of rare or restricted items than the others?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

mabels big day posted:

This minisentry nerf completely sucks. They take way too long to build to be useful in really any encounter. The entire playstyle that gunslinger engineer allowed is dead. There's no point in being able to repair them when they have such low health and were designed to be disposable anyway.

rekt scrub.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
dead ringer nerfs are a good step, but a better step would be to vac ban anyone that equips it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or give spies a 50% chance to explode every time they right click.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Yet another newb that can't hit an immobile, reasonably sized target smh

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
And the craft server's been disabled. RIP.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
Hey is that Frankenhud gonna get a hotfix? :)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

What's the easiest way to change the crosshair? CS:GO has a site that you can use to modify your crosshair via console commands, but I don't know if that exists for this game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

braden posted:

Yeah, I think the dude behind it mentioned they were going to have to work on one

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

braden posted:

Delete your current FrankenHUD install
Go to https://github.com/TheKins/frankenhud
Click "Download Master"
Shove the "hud_src" folder into your tf/custom directory
Enjoy a mostly-hotfixed, but still slightly wonky FrankenHUD

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm terrible at googling. How often do you get new missions? Is it once a day?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

symbolic posted:

What's the easiest way to change the crosshair? CS:GO has a site that you can use to modify your crosshair via console commands, but I don't know if that exists for this game.

Launch the game, options, multiplayer

Not sure if you mean beyond that.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

concerned mom posted:

I'm terrible at googling. How often do you get new missions? Is it once a day?

Two per week.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Picking up weapons is kind of a cool idea, but I just never find myself using it. You have to find someone of your own class, which on a balanced team can be tough, and if I already have a good gun that I have made plans for and know the ammo count of, why take the risk of getting something else?

It makes sense in CA because you burn through ammo like nothing and there is no way to get it back, but in TF2 you have such big pools that ammo replenishment is a non issue, not to mention ammo crates and dispensers

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
It's touted as something for people to try out weapons they don't have. It'll have some fun clutch moments where you switch rocket launchers mid kritz to not reload or whatever, or you might luck out and not have to walk back to spawn to switch off demoknight to take out some sentries, but for the most part you don't want to switch loadouts mid life. New players get the benefit of trying out lots of items they don't have.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
I'm particularly enjoying the bit of the update where the mac version gets a popup that says 'buffer overflow' before crashing every 2nd map.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Picking up weapons is kind of a cool idea, but I just never find myself using it. You have to find someone of your own class, which on a balanced team can be tough, and if I already have a good gun that I have made plans for and know the ammo count of, why take the risk of getting something else?

It makes sense in CA because you burn through ammo like nothing and there is no way to get it back, but in TF2 you have such big pools that ammo replenishment is a non issue, not to mention ammo crates and dispensers

It also only drops weapons they currently have out, and just doesn't seem to work for some things. Like I couldn't switch my bootlegger for a grenade launcher, presumably because the bootlegger replaces my whole drat leg and that would be a weird thing to switch out mid battle.

Incidentally, pure demoknighting is a delight now. Bootlegger + Tide Turner + Eyelander = A very fast demoknight with a ton of health who fully restores charge with any melee kill.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Do the bonus points from contracts do anything, or just bragging rights?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

hup posted:

Do the bonus points from contracts do anything, or just bragging rights?

The bonus points contribute to leveling your coin up. Apart from that, it might do nothing at all.

Edit: A little math shows that if you want to make your coin gold, you need to do most of your bonus objectives. I think you can miss like 4, assuming there's 12 weeks of contracts totalling 24 contracts.

Slime fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 3, 2015

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Yep those are 2 rear end-ugly weapons alright. Money well spent.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Thanks square dance taunt

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
Kritz is a lot more viable now in pubs and competitive with the ability to pick up weapons. If you can catch an enemy medic running stock with your kritz before they can uber, you get the element of surprise without the risk of having to stay running the Kritzkrieg until you die or hit up a resupply cabinet (ineffective against sentries, teams that are prepared for the kritz, etc). Other weapons have become similarly more viable since you can usually swap them out in the middle of battle after getting a couple of "surprise" kills.

Pastamania posted:

I'm particularly enjoying the bit of the update where the mac version gets a popup that says 'buffer overflow' before crashing every 2nd map.

They're aware of the problem, might want to send McJohn your specs anyway though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Made 25% of the money I spent on campaign back so that's not too bad I guess, obviously prices are going to plummet but daily(?) contracts until October means I might even turn a profit.

• Locked thread