Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is that failure one that would've shown good compression on a normal compression tester if he used one of those, and not that funky electronic compression tester that shows each chamber separately?

Either way, seller is a dick, gently caress this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is that failure one that would've shown good compression on a normal compression tester if he used one of those, and not that funky electronic compression tester that shows each chamber separately?

Either way, seller is a dick, gently caress this guy.

Absolutely. Even just cranking it over with a ratchet and a plug out will tell you if it has compression on each rotor.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 2, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
File a report, the worst that happens is your still out of the money.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 4, 2020

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Extra posted:

Paypal will very likely side with you if you can document information regarding the item for sale was falsified. They'll be even more likely to side with you if you can document the seller told you to go pound sand.

He's SOL.

Like he said, he didn't go through eBay communication channels to get the info from the seller, and as far as eBay is concerned, external communications don't exist.

All eBay knows is the ad said "as is" and they have no verifiable record of the seller ever saying it was anything otherwise.

Sorry dude. :(

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
File a claim.

kastein posted:

Yeah gently caress him, "as is" doesn't exclude him from the engine being as he claimed it was. Good compression and that horror show of damage don't go together.

From experience, ebay and paypal will side with the buyer even on something like the buyer asking for the cheapest shipping on expensive test equipment, then filing a claim due to shipping damage. Friend lost $1200 on a spectrum analyzer he sold because ebay/paypal simply took the money back even though he showed that the buyer didn't even want shipping insurance and they closed the case when he counterclaimed because the guy never sent the thing back as he was supposed to. Buyer kept the money *and* the (not very damaged) equipment. Like Z3n said, file a claim and tell em the condition is not as it was stated, and I bet you at least get money back to cover the repairs it'll need.
Ugh that blows... Ebay/paypal told me as a buyer that I wasn't getting a refund for something that was never shipped to me in 2006. Long time ago, I know. I charge back'd and all of a sudden PayPal found in my favor... :facepalm:

Wait, you talked to the seller outside of eBay communication? Crap...

Spyder, wow you've shown me a lot of beat up motors before. That one is way, way up there. Maybe the worst... I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Boat posted:

He's SOL.

Like he said, he didn't go through eBay communication channels to get the info from the seller, and as far as eBay is concerned, external communications don't exist.

All eBay knows is the ad said "as is" and they have no verifiable record of the seller ever saying it was anything otherwise.

Sorry dude. :(

Id say still file a claim, send a message to the guy via ebay communications, then if he ignores it, its easier to file the claim.

Worst that happens is they don't refund, which you might be stuck with anyways. At least its worth a try!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boat posted:

He's SOL.

He's not going through ebay, he's filing with paypal, and from my experiences with paypal they side with the buyer.

I got screwed by paypal on a bike I sold, a month after it was delivered the buyer claimed it was damaged and got his money back, and I got my bike back with a bent frame.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I filled through PayPal, not eBay. I have a screen shot of me trying to contact the seller through eBay and the error message returned. We will just have to see what happens.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure you'll get most if not all your money back through paypal.

The only reason I even got my bike back was because I raised hell, paypal just gave the guy his money back without contacting me at all. Haven't used them to sell anything since.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The seller called me this morning and was incredibly polite. We settled on a number and the dispute is closed. I'm incredibly surprised he handled it this professionally. He cleared up the ownership of the motor, he meant to say that he spoke to the previous owner, who apparently lied to him about the compression. Now, time to figure out what to do about the turbo. I found out the vband housing is made by someone else- not BW. Supposedly it's a TiAL and BW's will be out in a few months. I'll probably just stick with the TiAL for now, pending there's no issues with using it.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 3, 2015

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

A responsible seller? How absurd! Glad it got settled.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 4, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Extra posted:

It's kinda more that spyder could have easily recovered 100% of what he paid because that's how paypal works. A smart seller will first try to get the person to not file a claim, and when they do file a claim negotiate a partial refund rather than be out everything.

He probably got notice of the claim, poo poo his pants a little when he realized he was about to be out both the motor and the money so he sucked it up and made the call.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Rhyno posted:

He probably got notice of the claim, poo poo his pants a little when he realized he was about to be out both the motor and the money so he sucked it up and made the call.
This, x100.

Glad it worked for you, Spyder! I want a ride once it's together and in a chassis. .

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've had a really weird experience with PayPal.

Bought some wheels on eBay. Got them. Not the same brand (cheaper brand), though otherwise did match the description, and the seller kept insisting he'd just replaced the center caps when they got broken (... wheels had the cheaper brand name on them too). Did a dispute, seller and I agreed on a reasonable number, and I cancelled the dispute.

... woke up a few days later to an email from Paypal saying my account had been blocked for suspicious activity, and a bunch of pissy emails from the seller, since Paypal had yanked the money out of his account anyway. It took over 2 months to get my account unlocked, and the only reason it actually got unlocked is I got both the Texas Attorney General and the AG of whatever state Paypal was based in at the time to contact them. Got a really nasty letter in the mail from Paypal literally saying "We are an ethical company, we can't believe you went to the state attorney general", along with about a 2 inch thick pile of emails and faxes back and forth between myself and Paypal disproving their "ethical" conduct.

It's been about 10 years and I still get really worked up just thinking about it. :fuckoff: I wound up sending the seller the number we'd agreed on, plus another $100 to cover NSF fees he got whacked with (which basically put us back at the original selling price), except I sent it as a money order. I've never trusted Paypal with over $100 since then.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have just been avoiding eBay as much as I can help it. Besides, its become like amazon lately, with out all the bullshit.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Since I don't know how to take a vacation, here's the progress over the holiday weekend.

The 20B ECU arrived. I can't wait. :)

While I was at Pineapple checking out the ECU, I found this little 12A sitting on the engine stand waiting to be picked up. A older fellow had his 246k engine brought it and Rob built a brand new engine for him. The guy owned the car since new and wanted to keep driving it until they take his license away. It's really neat to see the transformation from boat anchor to clean engine. He even rebuild the factory thermoreactor exhaust system for the owner.

Now, for a terrible project. I've had the god drat vert at my house for way to long and one of the last issues with it is a bad temp sensor. The coolant gauge sensor was throwing us off, immediately reading 1/2 on the gauge and ranging between 2/3 and 3/4 which is way to hot once warmed up. I discovered who ever rebuilt the motor put a earlier gen rear iron and sensor on it. So we drilled and tapped a new sensor. It was a complete cluster F' though doing it in the car. We drained the coolant and pressurized the block in the hopes any metal shavings would be pushed out. It seems to have worked, but what a PITA.
First, let's start with the horrible contraption I had to rig up to fit in the space available. My large right angle drill did not clear the brake master.

Here's the before-hole.

After getting the initial hole started and realizing how absolutely lovely that setup worked (chuck kept slipping), I grabbed a tapered reamer and my air ratchet. This still took 15 minutes.

Next up- the tap.

It fits!

With that fixed the car is almost ready to leave. I may or may not have cracked the stock 25 year old radiator in a fit of rage... Thankfully we had a spare.

Next up, I decided to resume sanding on the Red 93 that's getting painted. Note to self, despite the reviews these HF sanders SUCK. This one decided to puke it's guts out in the form of a nasty black liquid. Of course it managed to throw it all over my freshly sanded surface. At this rate of failure, I'm only going to need 12 of these to finish sanding the entire car once!

After giving up on the sander, I pulled my 94 out from under the tree I abandoned it a few weeks back.

A quick bath solved one problem. The next: the turbos. Ever since I put this car together I have had strange boost issues. A few friends were over and convinced me to finally rack it and see if I could fix it. The good news is, it's fixed. It was a simple switched solenoid wire. The bad news, I found out why my AC is no longer working (dye everywhere!) and my power steering pump is leaking, yet was overfilled? I have no idea. It's fun to have consistent boost again- but now I have to figure out why it's spiking to 18PSI vs the factory 14PSI.

Mmmmm nothing says 'merica like a nice German dinner.

I finally bought a set of Left Handed drill bits. I've got a set of turbos with 3 sheared studs and I can't wait to try them.

I convinced the same friends who harassed me into fixing my own car to help me push in this long term project. I'm finally assembling the monster project. Sadly, it's outside storage has led to quite the mouse/water issues. We spent last night cleaning for ~3 hours.

Open pool!

I managed to leave the gas tank uncovered, what the hell self. I literally have no idea where the sender is for this car.

And finally, we pulled my black car out and started looking at what it would take to toss the 20B into it.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 7, 2015

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Drove my White 94 tonight. Primary turbo 1/2 works- its overboosting. I'm still getting fuel cut and the secondary is barely coming online. I fixed a bunch of smaller issues with the tune, but at this point it has to be control system. I'll tear into it again in the future when I have time. It's a blast to drive @14psi. (Even more so at 20, but that's bad for the turbos.)

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
This thread has been incredible to follow up to this point, and I cant wait to see the 20b project come to fruition! I'm living vicariously through your rotary exploits!

This was very proclick for me as I'm in the midst of a very similar pissing match with a seller through PayPal. It's kismet that you just happened to post it a few days back and I'm reading it now as I need it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm finally getting to catch my breath after a busy past few weeks. I have been swamped with work. At some point I'm going to need to take a vacation.

So, where to start. Let's go with my latest tool aquisition. I've been looking for a Wilton bench vise for the past year. Every time one would come up, it would either be a boat anchor or way out of the price range. When this 9400 came up for $80, I jumped on it. The fellow selling it worked for a supply company and had sold the University of Washington new vises and kept the old ones. This was used in their welding department. Outside of some slag/random welds on it's body, it was in overall good condition.

After grinding, drilling out broken bolts, and generally doing as much cleaning as I could at home, I transported it to my friends shop to utilize his parts washer.

I also used his media blaster.

A quick coat of Rebuilders Cast. I'm not sure what I want to paint the vise, but for now this works.

Everything else got a quick run over the 8" wire brush on our grinder. I figure with the amount of oil this will see, it should be pretty well protected. I lubed the assembly with Mobil 222 XHP. Awesome stuff.

Here's the Columbian MONSTER vise it's replacing. Some day I'll restore it.

While I was playing with the vise, my brother was wiring up our surface grinder.

So of course we had to try it on the vise jaws. Disclaimer: We have no idea what we are doing. And yes- I am making new jaws.

This Ford has been forsale for months just up the street from us. It's in great condition. Too bad he wants $21k.

Next up: FD Transmission rebuild. The trans in the black 93 R1 project car needed to be gone through before bolting up to the new engine/turbo/ect. Someone went through it at some point, as it had signs of service, but someone went from 3rd to 5th and cracked the syncro. Otherwise it was in good shape. There were many "Where the hell dos this go?" moments. Many thanks to Rob at Pineapple for walking me through it and letting me use his specialty tools.

You can see the chisel marks from someone trying to hit the nut off- thankfully Rob had the right tool.

For the rotary truck fans, here's a magazine a customer dropped by for Rob.

Here's another side project. My friend bought a Koyo radiator and the supply side was corroded away. I cut/welded a new end on for him after work. I recently bought a new helmet and it's super sensitive to my LED shop lights, hence the flashlight. (Yes, I really did have to turn the shop lights off.)

It was a tight fit with a #7 gas lens and cap.

Oh and I've been meaning to try this trick. It works great for sharpening tungsten. (Yes that wheel is dedicated to tungsten).

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 28, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
We have Wilton's just like that at my work! Looks big, which means that Columbian one must be huge!

On the surface grinding, dress your wheel with a diamond dresser, making sure it it is on the back side of the wheel, take 2/3 thou maximum. Skim the dresser at least twice after you have full cleanup. When working on parts, you can take 2-3 thou, but leave less than that for your final passes.

Long thin parts should be boxed in with something magnetic on both sides. Usually a set of parallels if more than enough.

On that transmission, are you saying that if you skip gears, you can damage synchros?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, a can of Rebuilders Cast makes anything look incredible.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Been watching this guy all day. Can;t wait to be doing stuff that looks like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsTbWAu0k-o

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
Finally caught up on this thread, and it's making me want an awesome shop, and another FD. It blows my mind that I was able to get one with 60k miles into the Cayman Islands for $5000, and they're two or three times that here.

Makes me wonder if I should have tried to import FD-chan... :(

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Commodore_64 posted:

Been watching this guy all day. Can;t wait to be doing stuff that looks like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsTbWAu0k-o

This is awesome!
I wish the old farts in my shop were as willing to teach!

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

mafoose posted:

This is awesome!
I wish the old farts in my shop were as willing to teach!

Yeah, it's just the right style, too. Actually sticks with me, and all the little details have reasons instead of "that's just the way we've been doing it."

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Update: I've managed to damage both thumbs and a index finger! Productive weekend.

Decided to up my AC game and ordered the tools.

The tools on the right above are for these:

140k suspension of a 93 R1. It was in surprisingly good condition. Only one bad pillow ball and no torn bushings. Everything was cleaned with Simple Green and a scotch brite pad.

Except these. Trying out some new blasting media. It's working great so far.

The replacement bushings are a mix of power flex and OEM mazda.

Turns out the 3/4" drive HF socket set is perfect for using as bearing race drivers.

Everything was going great until I broke an Olfa knife tip into my drat thumb. I was so pissed I just taped it up and kept working, ignoring the sprinkler of blood that would happen after a few seconds with out pressure applied. It stopped after 15 minutes and outside of a nice clean cut, it seems fine. I'm still pissed.

These are the pillow balls everyone talks about going bad and causing rear end clunking in FD's. I don't know what Mazda packed these with originally, but it had to have been some special blend of ear wax.

Used some of that Mobil XHP 222(?) from earlier in the thread to pack the cavities. The dust shields were a simple hand press in.

Done.

Everything will go back on the car in the next few days. I had to order a new diff due to previous assholes selling me a Non Turbo Kaaz 1.5 way. My fault for not checking size of the half shafts when I bought it. Live and learn.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 3, 2015

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
More tools acquired. Found a post for a Arcan engine hoist and noticed the same seller had a Ranger 660 transmission jack and Engine support brace forsale. My harbor freight engine hoist had a bent wheel and I've always wanted a transmission jack... soooo $300 later. Haha. It turned out to be a nice older fellow, everything had been used once before being diagnosed with some hobby-changing medical issues. Now I can sell my crappy HF hoist.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nice job with the blasting, not so nice with the stabbing :(

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

AHHHH!

What is that green tool thing please?

I needs it! (would like to know what they are called as I have need of one)

Cheers!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sardikar posted:

AHHHH!

I needs it! (would like to know what they are called as I have need of one)

Cheers!

Do you mean the can tap?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
nice hosed up thumb

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Sardikar posted:

Yeah, it's a side can tap:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastercool-85...ol+side+can+tap

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

There is something really satisfying about pressing in new bushings.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
which is better from HF: 20T a-frame or h-frame?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
How much for your old HF hoist? Is it this one? http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-69514.html

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

which is better from HF: 20T a-frame or h-frame?

No clue. The 20T H frame has always gotten me by and it well rated. I need to build a mobile base. When I build a 30T/50T, it will be a H frame.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

That's it, except Orange. (They recently changed to Grey). It's not a bad hoist, it just needs a new front left caster for $8. If you're interested, have Count get ahold of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011