Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Sneaky Kettle posted:

So, do the planes at higher tiers of carrier have better spread for their torp drops? The Hosho's planes seem to only drop their torps in a big fan with half a mile between each torp that, at best, lets me land two hits per volley.
If an enemy cruiser activates its defensive fire ability, torp planes being attacked by it will have their aiming fan made huge. Its one of the things keeping them balanced. Is that it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

Sneaky Kettle posted:

So, do the planes at higher tiers of carrier have better spread for their torp drops? The Hosho's planes seem to only drop their torps in a big fan with half a mile between each torp that, at best, lets me land two hits per volley.

Not really.

American carriers get better spreads because their squadrons have more planes and when you get the high tier extra plane per squadron commander perk the spread gets better too ( i believe anyway i haven't got a commander that high yet)

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

sarmhan posted:

IJN destroyers are fun.

2167 base xp

Very nice. I haven't done that well yet. IJN destroyers are amazing fun. I just finished a game where I kept two groups of enemy ships at 7km from me where I slipped down the middle through them to hunt down their carrier and torp it into oblivion. I haven't played a carrier yet but I imagine you start getting worried when you notice a lone IJN destroyer 15km out and coming your way (his returning planes spotted me). He panicked and beached himself and died horribly. There was a hostile Wyoming near that tried to help out but he was too late. He was also sent to the bottom.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Aoba is my shining star, my bright shining star.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Very nice. I haven't done that well yet. IJN destroyers are amazing fun. I just finished a game where I kept two groups of enemy ships at 7km from me where I slipped down the middle through them to hunt down their carrier and torp it into oblivion. I haven't played a carrier yet but I imagine you start getting worried when you notice a lone IJN destroyer 15km out and coming your way (his returning planes spotted me). He panicked and beached himself and died horribly. There was a hostile Wyoming near that tried to help out but he was too late. He was also sent to the bottom.

A destroyer anywhere near carriers makes them panic, bad players will recall all their planes in the hope of killing the destroyer. Getting a Cleveland near them is similar, and even better as you an farm all their planes as they try to do something.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

A destroyer anywhere near carriers makes them panic, bad players will recall all their planes in the hope of killing the destroyer. Getting a Cleveland near them is similar, and even better as you an farm all their planes as they try to do something.
Also if you are going for a carrier in your destroyer, its really important to try to get them on fire so they can't launch planes. Don't just watch your torps swim towards them, throw that HE.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yeah I'm gonna turn on replays.

After every bad game in the Kuma, I finally had one that wasn't bad. Big Race, I go the far south destroyer alley. I catch an enemy destroyer the friendly in front of me spotted with a blindfire torp salvo, no chance. I hit the next destroyer in the engine and the friendly destroyer put six into him at point blank range. Next up is a St. Louis backed by a Tenryu, so I go to close on them, fire a longer range spread that misses the st. louis. To get a good torp spread off my right, I stuff my nose into an island, and the St. Louis takes two of the torps. I start trading broadsides with the St. Louis and it's real close. The Tenryu tries to slide around the other side and catches a torp spread dead on the edge of the island, and I finally kill the St. Louis a second before I burn out from the three fires on my ship (I'd burned the repair kit a bit before to fix four fires).

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

ohsosad posted:

Not really.

American carriers get better spreads because their squadrons have more planes and when you get the high tier extra plane per squadron commander perk the spread gets better too ( i believe anyway i haven't got a commander that high yet)

Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks!

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Pretty sure the extra plane commander skill only applies to fighters and dive bombers, not torpedo bombers.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

cheese posted:

Also if you are going for a carrier in your destroyer, its really important to try to get them on fire so they can't launch planes. Don't just watch your torps swim towards them, throw that HE.

This. I don't fire torps at carriers that I sneak up on until almost point blank because I want them to panic because I can be an rear end in a top hat sometimes. Just finished another game. I slipped past the Maginot Line again and didn't open fire with HE until about 7km out. Lit up his flight deck after a few shots and sent him down. I'm still learning about the concealment mechanic, but it's pretty cool. I've started cursing pubbie destroyers I'm teaming with when they fire their turrets at some cruiser 9km away while we're maneuvering toward the battleships.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

xthetenth posted:

Yeah I'm gonna turn on replays.

Me, too. I had pretty much a perfect game in the Wakatake (my first in it in open beta) where I correctly anticipated nearly every enemy move so that where ever they turned there were torpedoes there waiting for them.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Devlan Mud posted:

Pretty sure the extra plane commander skill only applies to fighters and dive bombers, not torpedo bombers.

Actually you are right.

They changed it a few weeks back from all planes to just dive bombers and fighters.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Just got torped in the back by a friendly Phoenix. The ship he was aiming for was 8km away. And later that same game, his division mate did pretty much the same thing. At this point I'm more worried about friendly torpedoes than enemy ones.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

I did it again. I slipped past the main force (killed a random battleship and cruiser on the way in) and found the carrier and killed it. Man pubbies are dumb. I need to play with you guys.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They really need to tweak the torpedo firing graphic to terminate at the maximum range of the run, rather than having the 'spread line' extend farther than the maximum range. It's one of those 'facepalm' moments when you see some guy whose torps *maybe* max out at 5km poo poo them out towards something 10km+ away. He's got more of a chance of hitting something friendly that's trying to maneuver for a shot on his target.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 4, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The Furutaka is the dumbest bad ship. It'd be fine at tier 5 in the post-refit layout, with 3x2 guns and manageable firing arcs, but instead it gets the pre-refit gun layout with the post-refit torpedoes (one less tube a side, but whatever). The hull upgrade gives it post-refit AA guns but doesn't update the turrets.
If Wargaming really wants the original hull for the unique turret layout they could just make it a premium and get money off shipfuckers.
It would also be okay if they came up with some imaginary stat changes to put the Sendai class between Kuma and Aoba instead, the 140 mm guns are better than Furutaka's guns.
:spergin:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I can't believe they have not addressed the retarded carrier matchmaking. It was one of the top complaints throughout beta, right behind battleships whining about torpedoes and not being able to sink every ship instantly by looking at them. Just got out of a game with 2 Langleys versus 2 Bogues. How hard is it to put one of each per side?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i unlocked the first japanese destroyer and i only hit an enemy with torps at basically point blank (1.5kms)

i need torpedo guides pls

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Look for the grey/white cone..that is the predictor as to where the current target will be if it stays on the same heading/speed. That is a good place to start aiming your shots.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Also, to target a ship while having torps selected, put your cursor on it and press "x". That is what gives you the grey cone.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

grrarg posted:

I can't believe they have not addressed the retarded carrier matchmaking. It was one of the top complaints throughout beta, right behind battleships whining about torpedoes and not being able to sink every ship instantly by looking at them. Just got out of a game with 2 Langleys versus 2 Bogues. How hard is it to put one of each per side?

I think the matchmaker in general is hosed, I just got in a game where my team has two less ships than the other.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, just a little bit.

Surprisingly we lost because of a cap, by the end we had a decent chance of winning a straight fight.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
This is what the St. Louis is for. Commander's got the change-ammo and 155m+ skills, and it just pours out damage. Citadel pens rapidly trash cruisers like Chikumas and Tenryus.

Replay Link

Finished the match by ramming a three-quarter health Kawachi for 28k on 2k health. :patriot:

On an unrelated note, this game can be pretty sometimes:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Sneaky Kettle posted:

On an unrelated note, this game can be pretty sometimes:

New Dawn :allears:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

cheese posted:

Yes but you get glorious 10km torps that let you sit forever out of range of everyone and fire them from 13km into oncoming battleships.

I really don't think I will get the 10km ones, 7km is so much that I don't know what to do with them most of the time to begin with

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The 10km ones are significantly slower too, which is a pretty big deal. Harder to actually hit people, and lowers your opportunities to fire.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mans posted:

i unlocked the first japanese destroyer and i only hit an enemy with torps at basically point blank (1.5kms)

On the T2 Japanese destroyer, never go with a 'wide' spread, narrow it by pressing the '3' key a second time. Most of the poo poo you're shooting at at T1-T4 is maneuverable enough to get between the twin torpedo wide spread.

Generally I'll try to guess which way the target will try to 'break' when he spots my torpedos, and I send the second shot that direction. Protip: most of them break *away* from the direction you fired them in, so aim right of the lead line from your perspective.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

The 7km torps on Minekaze are the best.

Torpedo spotting is a % of max torpedo range, so torps in the 7-8km range tend to sneak up on people and are less likely to be evaded. Once you get into the 10-20km torps most people will be able to easily avoid them.

Also Minekaze has a 5.9km surface detection range, so you should never have problems shooting the 7km torps undetected.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

ohsosad posted:

Actually you are right.

They changed it a few weeks back from all planes to just dive bombers and fighters.
It's been DBs and Fighters only since the very beginning of CBT.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Ah i was hoping that skill would help balance out higher tier carrier gameplay with the US vs IJN torpedo spread.

Until they implement the new IJN spread mechanic T8+ is going to suck with the super accurate two torpedo squadron setup the US carriers are going to use.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

I see why people have Tier 10 carriers, its like 3500 - 4500 xp per win on average and you get those confederate flags every day. A loss is still like 2500xp.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

I've got an Arkansas beta premium. Can I use it to transfer captains between ships so they never have to retrain?

Then I can use one captain to go up, say, the cruiser line and he'll get more perks sooner, rather than using a separate captain for each ship or retraining each time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Clarence posted:

I've got an Arkansas beta premium. Can I use it to transfer captains between ships so they never have to retrain?

Then I can use one captain to go up, say, the cruiser line and he'll get more perks sooner, rather than using a separate captain for each ship or retraining each time.

Yes, you can use premiums to retrain a captain when you stick them in a new ship. The best part is, even if you choose the 50% 200k retrain that temporarily borks their skills on *that* class of ship, the skills still work perfectly and without penalty on the premium ship you're using to grind them on.

500g for a 100% retrain is loving ridiculous. I'd go for it more often if it were ~200-250.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Wish they'd increase torpedo arming range to 1 km. 0.5 km is still too short.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yes, you can use premiums to retrain a captain when you stick them in a new ship. The best part is, even if you choose the 50% 200k retrain that temporarily borks their skills on *that* class of ship, the skills still work perfectly and without penalty on the premium ship you're using to grind them on.

500g for a 100% retrain is loving ridiculous. I'd go for it more often if it were ~200-250.
500g is bullshit tbh, but then it makes sense considering WoT also asks for 300~600g for 3~6 crews.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Ishizuchi is an acceptable premium battleship. Does nothing outstandingly well but it's very accurate and will be a good skipper trainer.

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."

Burno posted:

I see why people have Tier 10 carriers, its like 3500 - 4500 xp per win on average and you get those confederate flags every day. A loss is still like 2500xp.

Racist.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I am kinda hoping they have done that on purpose for the sake of Captain grinds

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Mans posted:

- If you lock an enemy with X, you get a gray ghost cone showing you where to lead if your target will stay in it's current speed and heading.
- Hitting the torpedo select key agian one you've already switched to torps will switch your launchers between wide and narrow arc.
- Go for targets that are distracted or cover bottlenecks. Groups of enemies are also good targets.
- Spread your torps out a bit with multiple launchers isntead of firing all f them exactly on the lead cone.

The Umikaze is kinda eh because it has to torp from like 2km to hit reliably. It can't launch from outside view range and it doesn't have enough tubes to saturate an area enough to sore a hit or two from like 4km out. The Watatake gets better with 8km torps, but they're slow and you definitely need to spread 'em a bit if your target has any situational awareness. It's really the Isokaze that starts the whole invisible torpedo ninja schtick with it's fast 7km torps.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The Isokaze and Minekaze both have the 66 knot 7km torps. You'll have to get really close to use them, though, and unless your target is approaching you, you might have to get within view range to fire the torps. Unfortunately, your torps don't get any faster from this point, the range increases but the torpedo speed drops. Along with your reload time going to the multiple minutes. Getting and keeping an Isokaze or Minekaze and not going any higher in the IJN DD line is perfectly excusable.

Burno posted:

Torpedo spotting is a % of max torpedo range, so torps in the 7-8km range tend to sneak up on people and are less likely to be evaded. Once you get into the 10-20km torps most people will be able to easily avoid them.

Huh? Has somebody tested this and figured this out? I was under the assumption that torpedo detection range is constant. People didn't avoid the 20 km range long lances any better than 7km torps, it was almost always down to speed and their own attentiveness. Unless this changed recently, of course. I have yet to get back into the Mutsuki, much less the T9 Kagero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Huh? Has somebody tested this and figured this out? I was under the assumption that torpedo detection range is constant. People didn't avoid the 20 km range long lances any better than 7km torps, it was almost always down to speed and their own attentiveness. Unless this changed recently, of course. I have yet to get back into the Mutsuki, much less the T9 Kagero.

It was always that way since I have been playing (March)

You can see long lances at like 10km where you wont even see a Minekaze's torps when they are dropped at the 7km range, until they get much closer. People who get hit by the long lances at 20km are basically afk or blind. Which is why those long range kills were the most amusing, especially if they complained.

Ok the 10km spotting on the long lances is an exaggeration, but it is quite a bit longer spotting than those 7km torps.

I did a quick search and found this:
code:
The upgraded torpedoes:

Umikaze: 0.8km (range 8km, speed 48 knots)
Minekaze: 1.3km (range 10km, speed 57 knots)
Shimakaze: 2.1km (range 15km, speed 67 knots)

The Shimikaze's stock torps (20km) are also spotted from 2.1km, so it's not range based.

Sampson: 0.9km (range 4.5km, speed 54 knots)
Nicholas: 1.5km (range  5.5km, speed 65 knots)
Gearing: 1.6km (range 16.5km, speed 66 knots).

Zao: 2.4km (range 8km, speed 76 knots)

Gremyashchy: 1.3km (range 8km, 55 knots)

Burno fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 4, 2015