Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

edit;oops

Toys For Ass Bum fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

duz posted:

So I have to use quickplay now to get onto valve servers? Lame.

Well this is just loving BULLSHIT :suicide:
Literally every time I tried using the quickplay button, I got sent to an empty server/server with <6 people on it/foreign server where I have 200+ ping.
After 20 minutes of searching and disconnecting and searching again, I haven't been able to get onto a playable VALVe server.
And clicking "show servers" just comes up with a bunch of foreign servers for some reason. Where'd all the Australian ones go?

THANKS VALVe!

Toys For Ass Bum fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 4, 2015

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm still downloading the update, but it can't mean what I think it means? I go to valve servers by clicking servers and adding the tag for valve servers, and refining the search any other way I want, latency or whatever. And that doesn't work now? And this is intentional?

Edit: Didn't I hear tf2 is maintained by six dudes in the CS:GO office area of valve? These guys, I'm just gonna go play something else and check back later to see if these guys can get their poo poo together.

I mean gently caress, is this a move towards preparing us for whatever method they'll use to host competitive matches? Do they feel that the admittedly old fashioned server menu is a relic? How about replacing it with something that works??

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 4, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Valve doesn't want you anybody to play TF2 anymore, sorry :(

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
e: I should read more than just the current page. Wow that's hosed.

Glad I got my environmental kills contract done earlier, it would have been really obnoxious trying to find an appropriate map on quickplay.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man I was really enjoying the broken rocket jumps. I felt like a pro for a couple hours there.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

duz posted:

So I have to use quickplay now to get onto valve servers? Lame.

haha gently caress that

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe the change was to prevent friends from gathering on a server and trading contract completions?

They take the integrity of their reskins very seriously!

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Until they "fix it" you can use the server browser in steam to join Valve servers.

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!
I got Heavy for my first contract tonight and I was stunned to find myself keep playing Heavy after I had finished. Maybe it's because they reduced bullet spread by default but I found I was able to drill people much more often than before. I realized the joy of coming around a corner to find an Engineer nest half-built with four people around the dispenser and turning them all into hamburger, good times.

One good/bad thing about the contracts is that to get your bonus objectives, they force you to do the Advanced tasks and not just shoot people. Mine tonight was destroying buildings and for some goddamn reason tonight on 2fort there wasn't an Engineer in sight for close to half an hour. I was just slumming in the enemy base for most of that time, stunned that nobody seemed to care about the fat guy and his clown cannon.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

Maybe the change was to prevent friends from gathering on a server and trading contract completions?

The last thing you want in a multiplayer game is friends playing together.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The ability to to now pick up another Medics uber via medigun seems kind of like a big deal. Not only will killing a medic with an uber be a big deal but your team can now basically steal ubers from the enemy team. Pop your uber, kill an enemy medic with around 90% uber, scope that gun after yours end, and you're basically pushing in the enemies team poo poo with a free second uber before they can even build a new one to 20%

Soldiers can now not only force pull ammo to people but uber charges as well!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The ability to to now pick up another Medics uber via medigun seems kind of like a big deal. Not only will killing a medic with an uber be a big deal but your team can now basically steal ubers from the enemy team. Pop your uber, kill an enemy medic with around 90% uber, scope that gun after yours end, and you're basically pushing in the enemies team poo poo with a free second uber before they can even build a new one to 20%

Soldiers can now not only force pull ammo to people but uber charges as well!

This is going to make comp tf2 really weird for a while

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Grapplejack posted:

This is going to make comp tf2 really weird for a while

I foresee lots of running Kritz to mid, because crushing the mid fight with it and then having an invuln ready to push last before the other team has even respawned seems really good.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Jabor posted:

I foresee lots of running Kritz to mid, because crushing the mid fight with it and then having an invuln ready to push last before the other team has even respawned seems really good.

Running Uber to mid is going to be a liability, you're gonna want to bring kritz to mid and try to get the other med's kritz.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Reiley posted:

Running Uber to mid is going to be a liability, you're gonna want to bring kritz to mid and try to get the other med's kritz.

If the other team runs quick fix can they beat you to your kritz uber? Also I hope these reskins eventually lead to some more alternate weapon models, I know it's lovely to make it hard to tell what weapon your opponent has but on the hand the winger is very ugly.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Kritz and quickfix are both +25% build rate. I think.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Specialized%20Killstreak%20Max%27s%20Severed%20Head

whaaaaaa? :catstare:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Maybe has to do with that recent crafting glitch?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm having trouble finding someone else with this problem and how to fix it, since it's kind of vague, but while navigating menus the game is just randomly crashing. Error message pops up without any hanging or anything. Has happened so far upon receiving items from a trade, on decoding one of the challenge things, on opening my inventory, etc. It's not consistent at all.

Reinstalled the game entirely and it didn't seem to fix it so I'm not sure what else could.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
The ability to pick up charged medi guns is going to be pretty neat I think. Seeing more kritz medics in competitive play should be fun. The major downside I can see for competitive play is medics suiciding more often to avoiding dropping an almost full uber into enemy hands. A medic at 75% uber who gets caught by a scout or hit hard by a soldier is going to have to make a serious decision on if they should just suicide to avoid handing the enemy an uber. Maybe a mechanic that lets other players drain a dropped uber would help, so that your teammates could empty your medi gun after a soldier suicides on you at 90% charge with no one else on his team around.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

1. Couldn't the medic just switch to a different weapon to drop that instead?

2. That's not speculation - you definitely can chain uber by picking up mediguns? I thought various charge meters were now tied to you, rather than your weapon?

3. What the poo poo is up with the "no valve servers on the server list" thing? That's has to be something they will revert, right?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

Maybe has to do with that recent crafting glitch?
It's a different glitch. Apparently you can get Killstreak Kits that aren't tied to a specific weapon and thus can be applied to pretty much any non-stock item, including hats and medals.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

The Kins posted:

It's a different glitch.
"Oh no, I was talking about the OTHER economy destroying glitch from this patch."

Xander77 posted:

1. Couldn't the medic just switch to a different weapon to drop that instead?
Oh guess I kind of forgot about that. Looking forward to some crazy medic weapon swapping plays now. "He didn't even swap his medi-gun out when that soldier bombed in on him, what an insult!"

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

The Kins posted:

It's a different glitch. Apparently you can get Killstreak Kits that aren't tied to a specific weapon and thus can be applied to pretty much any non-stock item, including hats and medals.

I just finished up a tour in two cities and got a 'specialized killstreak kit', where there's usually a weapon name between killstreak and kit. They're selling for like, 40 dollars on the market at the moment, but I can't seem to craft it because it keeps saying crafting failed, I'm assuming they already patched it, gently caress.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

qsvui posted:

- Valve official quickplay and matchmaking servers are no longer listed in the server browser

This is really stupid and I hate it.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Brasseye posted:

This is really stupid and I hate it.

It really is dumb, it's basically how I've played tf2 since release. Find a valve server with a map I like, and check the scores to see if it's fresh or old match.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

The Kins posted:

Holy poo poo. I got one of these today and I thought it was just a new drop. Team Shine Max time :getin:

E: it gives me "Request Failed" now, unfortunately. If this doesn't work can I ask Valve for a kit that I can at least apply to a weapon? :ohdear:

Ettin fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 4, 2015

Sprite Based
Nov 13, 2004

dance dance sasquatch
They seriously loving removed Valve servers from the in-game server browser? Why the gently caress would they do this? I live in Japan, and Valve servers in Singapore are basically the only option I have to play. And now I can't loving use them except through retarded quickplay. Wow, seriously, gently caress you Valve.

EDIT: Is there someone I can email about this? I don't care about any of the other stuff they've done to change the game, but this is terrible.

Sprite Based fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 4, 2015

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Sprite Based posted:

They seriously loving removed Valve servers from the in-game server browser? Why the gently caress would they do this? I live in Japan, and Valve servers in Singapore are basically the only option I have to play. And now I can't loving use them except through retarded quickplay. Wow, seriously, gently caress you Valve.

I didn't realise they did that. How stupid?

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Ettin posted:

Holy poo poo. I got one of these today and I thought it was just a new drop. Team Shine Max time :getin:

E: it gives me "Request Failed" now, unfortunately. If this doesn't work can I ask Valve for a kit that I can at least apply to a weapon? :ohdear:

Probably not, they obviously patched it out to keep people from getting it, so I doubt they would really take pity on you very much. A few posts up I have the same problem, so I basically spent 4 dollars on nothing in return, oh well.

On the other hand, valve is absolutely horrible with dealing with emails, it took them 2 weeks to even get back to me over a problem with a phisher/scammer I was having at the time.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010

iroguebot posted:

It really is dumb, it's basically how I've played tf2 since release. Find a valve server with a map I like, and check the scores to see if it's fresh or old match.

Exactly. This is how I've been playing games...forever all the way back to Gamespy, this is a bummer :(

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

iroguebot posted:

And I just realised the other day I can use the history tab to see a huge list of servers Ive been in before. Awful decision.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Brasseye posted:

And I just realised the other day I can use the history tab to see a huge list of servers Ive been in before. Awful decision.

Same, but they removed all the valves even from history, the choice to do it really is strange and seems unwanted. The only thing I can chalk it up to is possibly something to do with the apparent competitive beta thing they are working on.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
I almost exclusively play Doomsday now, and before the patch melee demoman absolutely cleaned house there. The tide turner, booties, and persian persuader were really powerful together. Now the tide turner doesn't stop due to fall damage, and only takes 1/3 the slowing from damage, the booties give an extra 10% movement speed, and any melee kill will refill the charge, not just a charging kill. This makes the katana incredibly good, since if you don't kill someone on the first shot you can just random crit them, full heal, and instantly charge off to kill the next person. I was using the persuader before because the shield recharge was so unreliable, but now all you really have to deal with is TF2's awful melee hit detection.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
So now the only people on valve servers will be the ones who went through quickplay (way less). That is really frustrating. I rely on valve servers to play the cp maps I enjoy like gully/badlands/granary/process etc.

It's going to be way harder to find a game on these maps now. :(

Ricardio
Dec 3, 2012

Completely Consensual
Quickplay results are dismal now too for whatever reason. 2/24 players etc.

Also had a bug in which hl2.exe crashed on start. I had a completed pyro mission that I had to turn in without finishing the extra objectives in order to "fix" it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Welp, looks like the two items I got from my week 1 contracts have sold, which paid back my season pass. I have a feeling later weeks will be less profitable though, at least for garbage-tier items.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah, they really should have fixed quickplay before forcing people to use it, I'm a dumb idiot baby who uses quickplay all the time and nine times out of ten, when I go "okay I don't care what game mode, gimme Valve servers or community I don't give a gently caress, just throw me in a game" it'll say "No servers matched your criteria lmao" after a couple minutes and I'll have to try again, then I try again and get thrown into a 24/7 2fort server. What the hell Valve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I normally bring up the server list, type valve at the bottom and flick through servers til I can find one where a fairly even fight is going on. It takes forever to do that now

• Locked thread