Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The only thing that bothered me about the combat shotgun is that it's a good weapon, but wastelanders in fallout 3 use it to make traps instead of something cheaper and more disposable like the sawed-off shotgun. just seems like a waste is all :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I haven't seen a lot of post-E3 stuff posted but there are apparently some things out there. In case people haven't seen it yet, here's an interview with everyone's favourite second coming of Hitler.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...~phqLesk9yRqpux

Not really much new information and really just a lot of dodging of questions, but one of my favourite bits was:

As we've already seen this game isn't being hamstrung by being forced to run on some lovely PowerPC bullshit hardware not even your grandmother would want to use. They also confirm in the interview that there are no loading screens and a lot of the buildings - including Boston's skyscrapers - are open for exploration. So for everyone out there who was so pissed that DC's streets were clogged with rubble, you can stop cutting yourselves now.

Given Bethesda's track record for promises (remember what they said about Oblivion pre-release? lmao) I'll believe it when I see it

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Todd Howard is legit my favorite part about bethesda because of how mad nerds get at a marketing man. Also he gots that charisma.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Man Whore posted:

Todd Howard is legit my favorite part about bethesda because of how mad nerds get at a marketing man. Also he gots that charisma.

Very true. People seem to have forgotten everything about him the instant fallout 4 was announced. Reddit's a poor example but they were unironically worshiping Todd Howard as the "savior of videogames" mere weeks ago.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bholder posted:

Sorry, I like guns with actual ammo in them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jF9eqi4oK0

It didn't take very long for Bholder to expose his really bad opinions, why is this problem endemic to all Fallout 3 > NV types?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

frajaq posted:

The only thing that bothered me about the combat shotgun is that it's a good weapon, but wastelanders in fallout 3 use it to make traps instead of something cheaper and more disposable like the sawed-off shotgun. just seems like a waste is all :spergin:
Or maybe Bethesda Softworks game design is extremely generous and actively removes all semblance of challenge in a game

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Like the PPSh--the ugly and inelegant product of a joyless Communist war machine--the vaguely titled "Combat Shotgun" is a baffling problem imported by the equally enigmatic Chinese invader. Frankly, it's the equivalent of TES's Dwarven weapons with their brutalist aesthetics: To keen eyes, they appear purely utilitarian...yet seem simultaneously impractical or impossible to use. To a lesser extent, the same thing could be said of the "Chinese Assault Rifle", which clearly resembles the Kalashnikov, another blunt product born of Communist necessity and devoid of Western love or grace.

And in a sense, the Chinese of Fallout are the IP's Dwarves. In both cases, they are an exotic species that is all but gone by the time the player experiences the world (although their crap continues to litter the wasteland). The Chinese had their propaganda recordings echoing long after the war ended; the Dwarves had their infernal Rube Goldberg machines clanking deep within the earth for centuries after their disappearance. Remnants of the "Ghoulified" Chinese army haunted a candy factory without purpose; Dwarven ghosts wandered the halls of their subterranean lairs. Chinese General Jingwei, a participant of a simulation of a battle that ended centuries prior, growls at the player in a strange language; bloated Yagrum Bagarn, the last remaining Dwarf, surrounds himself with the walking dead and regales the player with tales of alien antiquity.

It is probably the most masterful thing Bethesda ever did for Fallout 3, frankly. By borrowing themes from Morrowind's most mysterious residents, we're left to find the remains of these ancient invaders and ask the salient questions. Who were these Chinese? What did they want? Where did they come from? How did their technologies truly work? They're questions that each person must answer for themselves, but will never know for certain.
:captainpop:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 4, 2015

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Given Bethesda's track record for promises (remember what they said about Oblivion pre-release? lmao) I'll believe it when I see it
It's actually quite plausible it's not marketing bullshit.
The only real technical limitation preventing there being little to no loading screens in the FO3/F:NV iteration of the Bethesda-Gamebryo engine were memory limitations on the hardware the game had to run on and the engine being really inefficient at handling large amounts of NPCs.
Skyrim's Creation Engine was already a lot better at handling NPCs. So with more memory to work with (and Bethesda having fixed whatever they screwed up in the Creation Engine's memory handling system for Skyrim 1.9) it's probably doable what Howard is talking about in that interview.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I assume the whole "outside" will be without loading, basically like previous games except cities are now included in the world space. I also think smaller shacks and buildings will have no loading (and can possibly be scavenged for materials) but larger buildings, like the one shown here will require a load screen.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jF9eqi4oK0

It didn't take very long for Bholder to expose his really bad opinions, why is this problem endemic to all Fallout 3 > NV types?

I think he means the ammo for it was rare, a problem solved in my opinion by taking hand loader.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Raygereio posted:

The only real technical limitation preventing there being little to no loading screens in the FO3/F:NV iteration of the Bethesda-Gamebryo engine were memory limitations on the hardware the game had to run on and the engine being really inefficient at handling large amounts of NPCs.
Skyrim's Creation Engine was already a lot better at handling NPCs. So with more memory to work with (and Bethesda having fixed whatever they screwed up in the Creation Engine's memory handling system for Skyrim 1.9) it's probably doable what Howard is talking about in that interview.

It's certainly technically possible. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see some long, empty hallways or Mass Effect-style elevators in front of large buildings or areas.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here's a fun song that was in a Fallout gayme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDqWFwNXQqo

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Back Hack posted:

That thing always bothered me, I still don't understand how it suppose to function, like at all, when the magazine is inserted near the front and the ejection port is way in the back of the gun. I know this game series isn't realistic at all, but goddamn, that's like below a level of 101 gun stuff right there.

How does this thing even cycle a bolt!?

Speaking of gun 101, there's a line in the game that I'm surprised doesn't get quoted alongside the usual suspects: "I can't wait to see if one of those helmets can stop a hollow-point round at 100 yards. I'm thinking... not."

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

And another thing, the muzzle velocity required to take someone's head off with a teddy bear is phenomenal. Are we to believe these are some kind of magic teddy bears?

I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Legit question: Is Lol teddy bear rocket launcher xDxD an accepted ~This is what makes Fallout Fallout~ thing?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

maev posted:

Legit question: Is Lol teddy bear rocket launcher xDxD an accepted ~This is what makes Fallout Fallout~ thing?

Nah, only things from Fallout 1 are canon, the rest is glorified fan fiction.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raygereio posted:

I don't get this, how did the engine get worse? Like, in Morrowind the cities weren't gated and had no loading screens. I thought it was the same engine? Morrowind worked fine on the original Xbox, which had less memory than a Xbox360 or PS3, yet memory is the reason we needed loading screens in the cities?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

ymgve posted:

I assume the whole "outside" will be without loading, basically like previous games except cities are now included in the world space. I also think smaller shacks and buildings will have no loading (and can possibly be scavenged for materials) but larger buildings, like the one shown here will require a load screen.

We've already seen in the E3 footage that a lot of buildings - all the houses in the starting neighbourhood - don't require you to transition. I strongly suspect that Bethesda has kept using their "cell" loading technique so that only small parts of the world are loaded at once (this is really, really obvious in FO3 due to terrible memory management) but they are now better able to load more into each cell. It also looked like in that combat montage you were able to somehow scale the side of a building and fire into it, as well as blow parts of the facade off (here) so I think most buildings are really open to the outdoors part.

Remember, you can also fly around in Vertibirds, though it remains to be seen if you can control them like dragons in Skyrim's DLC, and you can provide some low level fire support from mounted guns on them while in flight so you could in theory just fly to the top of these places.

You can also see a lot things that Bethesda, Obsidian and even some modders were experimenting with in previous games. Riding around dragons and building your own homestead were introduced in Skyrim. In NV there were a couple houses that had no loading screens (to the north-west of Vegas) though they aren't very well detailed and it's hard to tell what they were really trying to do. And all the games have the "open towns" mod that remove most city gates so you can just run around them.

There may well be transition screens between large indoor areas like Diamond City or the more detailed interiors, and they may have to introduce loading screens when you go from topside to underground environments. And I'm positive the loading screens will still be necessary when quick traveling so the game can load the world but still, the more openness they've show already is s step in the right direction.

As for Todd running his mouth - the easiest way to deal with that seems to just be to ignore him. People seem to be paying a lot closer attention to this than they were Oblivion and FO3 but I never followed much of the hype train back then and was unaware of things like Radiant AI sparking a civil war or things like that. Nothing said so far seems really outlandish this time around and they've demonstrated near everything they've talked about.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 4, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

marktheando posted:

And another thing, the muzzle velocity required to take someone's head off with a teddy bear is phenomenal. Are we to believe these are some kind of magic teddy bears?

I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

A wizard did it.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

marktheando posted:

Is this a real and serious complaint?

It's me being nick-picky, it's minor little detail that I'm just incapable of overlooking. To me it just it screams 'wrong' in every way; yes even in light of weapons such plasma pistols, laser rifles, and teddy bear cannons existing in this game series. This is the gun that bothers me.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 4, 2015

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

marktheando posted:

Is this a real and serious complaint?

Yes? It's like some of the cars in the game had two wheels on the bottom and two sticking directly out the side. It's obviously stupid and nonfunctional to a ridiculous degree. People who don't understand the basic functionality of things shouldn't be designing how they look.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

:allears: I love this thread

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

K8.0 posted:

Yes? It's like some of the cars in the game had two wheels on the bottom and two sticking directly out the side. It's obviously stupid and nonfunctional to a ridiculous degree. People who don't understand the basic functionality of things shouldn't be designing how they look.

Its a parody if "THE FUTURE!" science poo poo from the 50's and 60's where concept cars looked like that at various fairs and expos. That aesthetic slapped together with Mad Max is one of the key components of the series since 1997.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A brief history of the Fallout universe and how it went off the rails from ours.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Lotish posted:

A brief history of the Fallout universe and how it went off the rails from ours.

They didn't get Nuka-Cola until 2044?
Did they just have Coke beforehand?
What do they drink!?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

For maximum incongruity, make sure you make dad-bot recognizably Chinese-American.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sout posted:

What do they drink!?

The world fell apart because Coke used its original recipe until 2044

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

sout posted:

What do they drink!?

Sunset Sarsaparilla, of course.

That whole write-up completely ignored Fallout: New Vegas, a bad write-up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

NV doesn't have a number, therefore it's not a real Fallout.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

Sunset Sarsaparilla, of course.

That whole write-up completely ignored Fallout: New Vegas, a bad write-up.

It also doesn't mention transistors; which is one of those things I kept hearing about. I don't know a lot about Fallout lore anyway.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The write up also completely skips Fallout: Tactics despite it apparently being canon, but it seems to gloss over a lot of things that happened between 2077 onward so I wouldn't worry. In fact, what was going on between 2077 and the mid 2150's is never really touched on in any Fallout lore.

And for the people bitching about 3 wheeled cars I can only assume you are refering to this thing:

It's probably supposed to be based off of some sort of Fuldamobile or Isetta concept but they existed long before the 1950's and there are companies around today that still build and sell 3 wheeled cars and motorcycles. Apart from looking weird, it's a quite functional design and layout.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Rutibex posted:

I don't get this, how did the engine get worse? Like, in Morrowind the cities weren't gated and had no loading screens. I thought it was the same engine? Morrowind worked fine on the original Xbox, which had less memory than a Xbox360 or PS3, yet memory is the reason we needed loading screens in the cities?

Was it something to do with radiant AI? Stopping people wandering off/getting killed? Otherwise literally everyone would have to be tagged as essential.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

K8.0 posted:

It's only noticeable if you are a gun nut. I live in a civilised country where we don't have guns so I have no idea what you are talking about regarding it being non functional. Just looks like a gun to me.

You may as well complain about hacking or healing being unrealistic.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Psychotic Weasel posted:

And for the people bitching about 3 wheeled cars I can only assume you are refering to this thing:

It's probably supposed to be based off of some sort of Fuldamobile or Isetta concept but they existed long before the 1950's and there are companies around today that still build and sell 3 wheeled cars and motorcycles. Apart from looking weird, it's a quite functional design and layout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

marktheando posted:

It's only noticeable if you are a gun nut. I live in a civilised country where we don't have guns so I have no idea what you are talking about regarding it being non functional. Just looks like a gun to me.

Figure A is the ejection port. This is where the shell is ejected from the shotgun when the shot is fired.

Figure B is the magazine, which contains the shells loaded with shot.

They should be much closer. In fact the ejection port should be basically right on top of where the magazine loads, like this.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

marktheando posted:

There are different thresholds for realisticness. Some of the same people who sneer at pointing out how a gun doesn't look right would object if the player character didn't use guns at all but just shot lasers from their hands.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

marktheando posted:

What, you mean your login screen isn't a list of words that may or may not be your password?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

Figure A is the ejection port. This is where the shell is ejected from the shotgun when the shot is fired.

They should be much closer. In fact the ejection port should be basically right on top of where the magazine loads, like this.

Yeah but it's a future gun. Also, I don't see how the thing being too far away makes it non functional.

2house2fly posted:

There are different thresholds for realisticness. Some of the same people who sneer at pointing out how a gun doesn't look right would object if the player character didn't use guns at all but just shot lasers from their hands.

The shells being ejected too far from the clip is nitpicking over a tiny detail, come on. It is absolutely not the same thing as magic powers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Note that the wheels are placed in opposite orientation.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

Magmarashi posted:

Please shut up.

There's nothing about that that makes it impossible. I could argue that it has the drum mag that feeds into a shell tube like most shotguns have.

Now can we move back to how the game has lovely writing while we all still plan on purchasing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

marktheando posted:

Yeah but it's a future gun. Also, I don't see how the thing being too far away makes it non functional.

The shells being ejected too far from the clip is nitpicking over a tiny detail, come on. It is absolutely not the same thing as magic powers.

Because the force of firing the shot isn't so great that it pushes the shell all the way back to the very back of the gun in order to eject it. The gun is nonfunctional because you fire one shot and then the shell remains inside the gun and it cannot load a new round. It's a tiny detail to you, who admits they know nothing about how guns work, but a glaring detail to people who do and have noticed it.

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

Please shut up.

There's nothing about that that makes it impossible. I could argue that it has the drum mag that feeds into a shell tube like most shotguns have.

Now can we move back to how the game has lovely writing while we all still plan on purchasing it?

He said he didn't know how it rendered the gun impossible to use so I told him.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 4, 2015

• Locked thread