Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Smythe posted:

i have a question how is an imagehost like imgur monetized?

very carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i remember phpbb

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Smythe posted:

by burning investor cash, duh

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Smythe posted:

The same way waffleimages was: poorly

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cold on a Cob posted:

the only good reddit is a dead reddit so yeah, reddit is almost good :)

also I missed all the drama but apparently some kids are angry about something about ethics in fat shaming or are community or whatever, I don't care, I just want to see reddit die.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

quote:

We have begun discussions with more than one venture capitalist firm that have approached us and voiced their support for Voat and the community.
These investors share and support the principles in which we hold, that a free community is neccessary. They support us and our mission.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

someone's going to get paid in venture capital money because reddit imploded. lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
reddit is open source right? why not just stand up a reddit2 or somwething

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i thought that's what voat was

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

one of the worst parts of reddit is the actual site itself.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Shaggar posted:

one of the worst parts of reddit is the actual site itself.

seriously. it's like someone looked at slashdot and was inspired to write a shittier commenting/thread system.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

TerminalRaptor posted:

seriously. it's like someone looked at slashdot and was inspired to write a shittier commenting/thread system.

+5 Insightful
  +5 Insightful
    +5 Insightful
      +5 Insightful
        +5 Insightful

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

TerminalRaptor posted:

any system where separate threads can start from posts within a thread are retarded. it always sucks but stupid fuckers keep trying to make it work.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

any system where separate threads can start from posts within a thread are retarded. it always sucks but stupid fuckers keep trying to make it work.

> meme reply
>> in-meme reply to meme reply
>>> in-meme reply to in-meme reply to meme reply
>>>> in-meme reply to in-meme reply to in-meme reply to meme reply

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

i bet half of reddit's issues are caused by this, 'cause cassandra is somehow even worse at joining a hierarchical list of replies than mssql and oracle are

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i bet half of reddit's issues are caused by this, 'cause cassandra is somehow even worse at joining a hierarchical list of replies than mssql and oracle are

I think I read somewhere that voat is a from-scratch rewrite so whatever reddit's issues are voat's will be different

maybe they use mongodb and node.js

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shaggar posted:

facebook's new system is nice because it only goes one level down

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

yospos and every other single thread post on sa only work because this forum is a ghost town, any volume and it would make poo poo like celeb amas completely break down

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

imagine a world in which tori Pittsburgh-posting would be voted right off the page, if you have some dumbfuck userbase like reddit some garbage will be voted to the top, but it's still a noble goal

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
dialogue doesn't scale

even in person, if you've ever had a good conversation with someone you've probably noticed that having a third person present kindof fucks it all up

hell, even plato's symposium is mostly just a sequence of dialogues, the places where multiple people interject are the lighthearted bits between the parts you're actually meant to pay attention to

i'm sure there's a technical solution to this though

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
every attempt to reply to a top-level post instead generates a chat instance

additional people attempting to reply join the chat

users can be voted out of a chat

once less than 2 people are still in the chat or is idle for 5 minutes, the chat closes and all content is immortalized under the top-level post

i'll start the wiki init the mongodb find investors

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
vbulletin is the apotheosis of forums. Jellsoft is trhe alpha and omega. Richard is G*d. J

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
I heard about this on fark and came as quickly as I could

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
gonna post about this on my livejournal

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
i imagine trying to keep the reddit community happy is like suckin on a gross dick while a whiny voice says "no, not like that. ugh. thats so stupid. just terrible"

tho i guess that goes for any online 'community'

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

maniacdevnull posted:

The same way waffleimages was: poorly

rip

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

PUGGERNAUT posted:

gonna post about this on my livejournal

livejournal also owned

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a classic case of autism contamination
yeah now that i think about it him posting stuff from sa was the main thing that kept me thinking of sa as A Thing

computer parts posted:

facebook's new system is nice because it only goes one level down
even that can get slightly disorganised, but yeah, it's better than infinite threading and i can see a case for not having no threading

honestly the worst part about facebook's implementation is that it's inconsistent in that some types of posts get threaded replies and some don't

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

remember when he posted here and asked for reasons why he was wrong but not trolls so tef (i think) wrote a pretty good post detailing why he was wrong (basically lol using software to enforce social actions never works) and he replied with 'no but' and stopped posting

and then jeff died when he got hit by a tram

Careful Drums posted:

did this actually happen? I would buy archives to read this

PleasingFungus posted:

yeah it was great. [full thread]

bonus: google "jeff fatwood" (that's how I found the thread!)

e: oops that was the sequel thread. the first jeff fatwood threads were here and here. have some vintage tefposting

compuserved fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 5, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

jony ive aces posted:

honestly the worst part about facebook's implementation is that it's inconsistent in that some types of posts get threaded replies and some don't

it's just inconsistently rolled out. you gotta make sure video posts or posts by jimmy from macon with threading on don't cause metrics drops.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

livejournal also owned

yeah my friends and I all had livejournals back before Facebook was a thing, it was cool

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

rjmccall posted:

Google Wave!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I can't wait for Reddit 4.0!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I think u mean hotline

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

theflyingexecutive posted:

imagine a world in which tori Pittsburgh-posting would be voted right off the page, if you have some dumbfuck userbase like reddit some garbage will be voted to the top, but it's still a noble goal

sounds like garbage.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

rjmccall posted:

dialogue doesn't scale

even in person, if you've ever had a good conversation with someone you've probably noticed that having a third person present kindof fucks it all up

hell, even plato's symposium is mostly just a sequence of dialogues, the places where multiple people interject are the lighthearted bits between the parts you're actually meant to pay attention to

everyone gets their own chat with an ai, and the ai writes an essay summarizing the arguments presented so far

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

tef posted:

codinghorror posted:

So ... what if we built a better forum mousetrap? Lest you think I'm full of poo poo, and admittedly I frequently am,
Your name has come up before in this context, yes :3:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

endless promos for Ted 2 in the image stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

I had sex with a 32-year old at 16. SA is run by SJWs. Liking 16-year olds is not pedophilia. I hate your pronoun. I like young boys. I donate to the NAACP and probably NAMBLA too.
So if yospos is building some forum software, that means we have to use mongo right?

• Locked thread