Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Poil posted:

They could go for always online. :haw:

Luckily Cities: Skylines has future tech that lets you save your games manually.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Poil posted:

:thurman:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

In case people are interested, there's a competition to create an asset for the game. The prizes are ~~** Gamer Gear ** ~~ , but prizes nonetheless and worth a pretty penny. The theme is "worlds largest X" statues.

Link: Competition Details

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Fishbus posted:

The theme is "worlds largest X" statues.
"No obscene or graphic models. Keep it clean!"
drat...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I have a sneaking suspicion that making a decent quality chirper statue would have a fair chance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Here's another buildingmaker to watch. Only a few so far, but nice well-designed building growables, keeps the file size under control.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 3, 2015

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Poil posted:

Cities: Skylines, Patch 1.07c posted:

"Disasters are now available! Download Origin for the full effect."

1.07c was the April 1st "patch"

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
"Model must be under 4,000 tris, LOD under 200 "

But no limits on file size. Just as planned! 500MB HD Statue of David here I come!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Bel Monte posted:

"Model must be under 4,000 tris, LOD under 200 "

But no limits on file size. Just as planned! 500MB HD Statue of David here I come!

number of tris directly relates to the size of the file. You cant get HD anything at 4k tris or less.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Not even with ridiculous textures?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Fishbus posted:

In case people are interested, there's a competition to create an asset for the game. The prizes are ~~** Gamer Gear ** ~~ , but prizes nonetheless and worth a pretty penny. The theme is "worlds largest X" statues.

Link: Competition Details

I think this was an episode of Corner Gas, when they were trying to build the World's Biggest Hoe.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Any tips of managing cemetaries/crematoriums so that there isn't a constant amount of dead corpses in every building because the cemetaries seem to fill up instantly and I don't want to have to constantly build more?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cacator posted:

Any tips of managing cemetaries/crematoriums so that there isn't a constant amount of dead corpses in every building because the cemetaries seem to fill up instantly and I don't want to have to constantly build more?

Build 1-2 crematoriums per major population centre. A ratio of about 1 crematorium per 3,750 pop seems to work.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

LumberingTroll posted:

number of tris directly relates to the size of the file. You cant get HD anything at 4k tris or less.

number of tris doesn't correlate as much as a texture unless you go really (and inefficiently) crazy. They should have enforced a 2k x 2k max texture just to be safe. Any competent artist should know this. But then I didn't know about city builder asset modders.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fishbus posted:

number of tris doesn't correlate as much as a texture unless you go really (and inefficiently) crazy. They should have enforced a 2k x 2k max texture just to be safe. Any competent artist should know this. But then I didn't know about city builder asset modders.

I think 2k x 2k, or even 1k x 1k, is recommended on their modding wiki, but there are people who are retarded and manage to have 20mb buildings within that.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

It is also useful to note that an asset, with literally nothing has 5mb of overhead.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Breetai posted:

Build 1-2 crematoriums per major population centre. A ratio of about 1 crematorium per 3,750 pop seems to work.

Crematoriums don't have hearses though, do they? My crematoriums are nowhere near capacity so I thought it was a transportation issue.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cacator posted:

Crematoriums don't have hearses though, do they? My crematoriums are nowhere near capacity so I thought it was a transportation issue.

They have their own hearses. Crematoriums can knock out something insane, like one corpse a second. I don't think it's possible for them to be running over capacity, even when you increase their funding so they have the maximum number of hearses.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Are there any large growables? is 4x4 the max or are there 6x6 and 8x8?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Question on landfills/incinerators. Do landfills actually send their inventory to be burned? I have a bunch of incinerators and yet my landfills don't decrease in amount filled.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

You have to tell the landfill to empty itself, at which point it stops working until you tell it to start working again.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

double nine posted:

Question on landfills/incinerators. Do landfills actually send their inventory to be burned? I have a bunch of incinerators and yet my landfills don't decrease in amount filled.
There's an "Empty Facility" toggle on landfills you can hit. This completely turns off collection for that land fill so there's no way to have a non-micromanaged hybrid system in the base game, its sort of assuming you shift entirely to incinerators when they unlock and delete or mothball your old landfills after they are manually emptied.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Blimpkin posted:

Are there any large growables? is 4x4 the max or are there 6x6 and 8x8?

I would be interested in some 4x8 growables. Most of my city blocks end up being 8*n blocks in size

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Hmm, good stuff, lets just clean this up and leave well enough alo-..

Urbanisation ruins all things.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Westminster System posted:

I can still see some green. :colbert:

Man, I have not been a fan of what tunnels let you get away with, right until I realised the only way to save my city from some major surgery was to drop the Morlock Expressway underneath the entirety of the downtown. When I saw how drastically it fixed things I kept giggling to myself. I feel like I'm playing Dwarf Fortress.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cacator posted:

This was a super-weird page to start reading this thread on.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Which zones get you skyscrapers anyway? I'm guessing high level offices?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

lurksion posted:

Which zones get you skyscrapers anyway? I'm guessing high level offices?

High level high-density stuff in general - so dense residential and commercial, too.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This image is really loving with me, it looks like the buildings on the hill are further away.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
At first I thought It's probably cause the area pushing out into the "lake" on the right is actually below the mountain, but then I realised what you meant and now and you have broken my poor mind.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So I had an idea for an arterial highway system:

Twin highways running in parallel. All traffic ON to the highway system goes to the underground highway, whereas all coming OFF comes from the above ground. Cars can transition from the underground to the above ground, and will hopefully only do so when their turnoff is coming up next. Shown is an example of a linkage to a hypothetical R/C/I zone to the right. I know the offramps are sharp and ugly, I just wanted to do a quick mockup. The highway directions may be a bit wonky too, but you get the gist.

Hopeful result? Minimised congestion due to offramp turning.

Whadda y'all think?

Breetai fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 5, 2015

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Freudian posted:

High level high-density stuff in general - so dense residential and commercial, too.
Any other requirements? City population? Footprint? I have a bunch of max level high density residential and commercial in my first city (currently 30k) and no scrapers.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Level 3, typically, and a big enough footprint available. They are rarer in European Theme as well, as many of the level 3 choices are European themed wall-to-wall copies of level 1/2, unless you have tons of growables.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Level 3, typically, and a big enough footprint available. They are rarer in European Theme as well, as many of the level 3 choices are European themed wall-to-wall copies of level 1/2, unless you have tons of growables.
Ah. European would be the issue. Boo hiss. Time to go looking for mods.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This was the skylines' engine's solution to "click on cargo rail terminal, drag rail down to underground rail tunnel"

First experiments with regional arterial "surface streets" put underground. I think the general idea (ignore the top-right most area, before I had the funds to properly build out) is to build a 100x100 unit square, then take those six lane roundabouts and sink them to the lowest level and connect them at the corners of the 100x100 grids, and then add external and internal connections to the grid up to the surface level. Cargo and passenger rail generally at 1 above bedrock, and pedestrian tunnels at first underground level below the surface.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

zedprime posted:

There's an "Empty Facility" toggle on landfills you can hit. This completely turns off collection for that land fill so there's no way to have a non-micromanaged hybrid system in the base game, its sort of assuming you shift entirely to incinerators when they unlock and delete or mothball your old landfills after they are manually emptied.

Of course there's a mod for this that automatically empties your landfills/cemeteries when they hit 90% capacity or whatever, then they'll go back to collecting trash/bodies once they empty.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
So whats gone on since I last played this game?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Underground pedestrian tunnels! It's morlockville!

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Here's hoping for a transport management system like in Cities in Motion 2. Those trains queuing at one train station while none head to distance stations full of waiting passengers...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

You are missing a enormous Jesus on that hill top.