Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I wonder what's on the mind of these non-Bernie challengers. They must know they have no hope (Sanders also does, but has different objectives).

I guess they can build profile for 2020/24 and be there to catch the ball if a death or omega scandal hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jagchosis posted:

Did you just forget the last five years or what

But yeah that crowd doesn't matter

"People's Republic of Wisconsin" is a name for Madison that as far as I can tell dates to the big protests against the current Republican governor. The gist is that Madison is actually among the most left areas of the state.

I.e. of course he'd be popular there, people were willing to do mass action at the capitol.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Lincoln Chafee and Jim Webb might make it to the first debate.

Jim Webb is probably the only other serious contender, because he's got enormous appeal to moderate republicans who are completely turned off by the current right wing insanity and is a godsend to the Democrats who don't want another Clinton in the White House.

His biggest negatives are his smoking hot Viet wife who's 22 years younger them him, his 2 divorces, and his relative lack of recent political experience outside of his one senate term.

InvincibleMadHouse
Jan 19, 2009

by Ralp
also being an ACA saboteur and an unlikable poo poo in his home state with higher negatives than most unknown candidates.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Of course there's the chance that Biden might throw his hat in the ring. He wouldn't win, his value would more be in who he endorses after he dropped out because it'd be seen as the tacit endorsement of the Obama administration (as Obama is staying away from this).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

InvincibleMadHouse posted:

also being an ACA saboteur and an unlikable poo poo in his home state with higher negatives than most unknown candidates.

Are you sure you're not confusing him with Joe Manchin?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JT Jag posted:

Of course there's the chance that Biden might throw his hat in the ring. He wouldn't win, his value would more be in who he endorses after he dropped out because it'd be seen as the tacit endorsement of the Obama administration (as Obama is staying away from this).

It's really no secret that Obama is for Hillary, his former SOS. Of course it's also no secret that Hillary has north of a 96% chance of being the nominee.

InvincibleMadHouse
Jan 19, 2009

by Ralp
nah his vote was contingent on scaling back/slimming down the original legislation, he was poo poo talking universal healthcare the whole time, and since its passage he's never missed a beat criticizing Obama over everything from the scope of the law to a lack of leadership on it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

GreyPowerVan posted:

Those are Merrells (sp?) and he's probably wearing them because they're the most comfortable shoes that I have ever worn.

Better than Eccos?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

Better than Eccos?

Haven't tried them.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

"People's Republic of Wisconsin" is a name for Madison that as far as I can tell dates to the big protests against the current Republican governor. The gist is that Madison is actually among the most left areas of the state.

I.e. of course he'd be popular there, people were willing to do mass action at the capitol.

It goes back for decades among Reagan-loving suburbanites like Walker

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Peel posted:

I wonder what's on the mind of these non-Bernie challengers. They must know they have no hope (Sanders also does, but has different objectives).

I guess they can build profile for 2020/24 and be there to catch the ball if a death or omega scandal hits.

Jim Webb has a decent-ish shot at being Hilary's veep (wrap it up, Castroailures). Chafee and O'Malley are probably in it for the same reasons as Jindal and Christie: they've been thinking about it for so long, it seems silly to let a little thing like humiliating, inevitable defeat get in the way.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AndNowMax posted:

Jim Webb has a decent-ish shot at being Hilary's veep (wrap it up, Castroailures). Chafee and O'Malley are probably in it for the same reasons as Jindal and Christie: they've been thinking about it for so long, it seems silly to let a little thing like humiliating, inevitable defeat get in the way.

I doubt you can stay long in politics unless you become impervious to shame.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The phrase you're looking for is "People's Republic of Madison" and it goes way back before Walker.

But yes, Madison is way to the left of most of Wisconsin. The rest of the state also called it "80 square miles surrounded by reality" and "the Berkley of the Midwest". It also has a relatively huge gay population since it's one of the few places in the state where they could live without much discrimination.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
My assumption with Webb was that he's in it for reasons basically analogous to Sanders': he wants to drag the party his way. Be a voice for the Reagan Democrats, in his case.

Chafee and O'Malley, I guess they're just in it for the publicity and / or Cabinet post bargaining. O'Malley might have thought he could win at one point but surely there's no way now.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Joementum posted:

Correct. There are various state laws that make it impossible. For example, New Hampshire requires you to be a registered member of the party to appear on the party's ballot and Sanders will have to register as a Democrat to compete there (as will Lincoln Chafee).

It's too bad cross-filing is no longer legal in California. It caused all sorts of weird stuff to happen, like Nixon winning the Republican AND Democratic congressional primaries in 1948.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I doubt you can stay long in politics unless you become impervious to shame.

By that metric, is it possible Trump is one of the finest politicians ever?

I was reading an article on Vice this morning, the thesis of which is that the only reason he's popular at all, given his utter insanity, is that his complete and total lack of shame is appealing to a fair number of people.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

I was reading an article on Vice this morning, the thesis of which is that the only reason he's popular at all, given his utter insanity, is that his complete and total lack of shame is appealing to a fair number of people.

He's been running the intimidation con really, really well.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

He's not really insane (well other than his ego), his opinions are standard American Archie Bunker bluster and trash-talk. It takes someone like him to make you realize that people like Santorum and Cruz are actually speaking in elaborate code, rather than just openly spewing bigotry.

Someone like him with better hair could easily become president. Well not this election, but you know what I mean.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

SedanChair posted:

He's not really insane (well other than his ego), his opinions are standard American Archie Bunker bluster and trash-talk. It takes someone like him to make you realize that people like Santorum and Cruz are actually speaking in elaborate code, rather than just openly spewing bigotry.

Someone like him with better hair could easily become president. Well not this election, but you know what I mean.

Santorum and Cruz taking the Lee Atwater approach, then.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010
i'll bet someone a month probie bernie wins the nomination

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 5, 2015

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

wtf, someone edited my message but didn't change anything

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

quite the fucker posted:

Do you mean this as a toxx?

quite the fucker posted:

wtf, someone edited my message but didn't change anything

Sorry, I edited instead of quoting. :sweatdrop:

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do you mean this as a toxx?

Sorry, I edited instead of quoting. :sweatdrop:

i mean if someone else bets me, then whoever's wrong gets the probation

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
OK, I bet you that Bernie doesn't win the nomination. What do I get for winning?

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

Lazy_Liberal posted:

OK, I bet you that Bernie doesn't win the nomination. What do I get for winning?

if he wins you get probated, if he doesn't i get probated

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Can we add a 30 day probie for fishmech if either bernie or hillaty win the nomination?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

quite the fucker posted:

Maybe we can just save some time and have you leave the site for a while. I think interacting with actual Americans might help you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe she forgave him.

One bit of speculation that I think actually makes sense given that Bill apparently has a bit of a...tendency...to get around a bit is that they have some level of openness in the marriage. To be honest I think forgiveness might be irrelevant given that. It isn't cheating if you have permission.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Feral_Shofixti posted:

Can we add a 30 year probie for fishmech if either bernie or hillary win the nomination?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One bit of speculation that I think actually makes sense given that Bill apparently has a bit of a...tendency...to get around a bit is that they have some level of openness in the marriage. To be honest I think forgiveness might be irrelevant given that. It isn't cheating if you have permission.

Yeah, there's a possibility that they never considered their marriage as being predicated on the sexual aspect of their relationship. For all we know their marriage has never been stronger and Hillary's been bangin' Mark Penn on the side for 20 years.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Make the 30 year for Bernie winning.

He can still eat a month otherwise.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

quite the fucker posted:

Deal. :toxx:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

quite the fucker posted:

quite the fucker posted:

i mean if someone else bets me, then whoever's wrong gets the probation

Lazy_Liberal posted:

:getin:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

The yoogest, most luxurious joke will never get old. Trump's run feels like some insane art performance piece, and I'm on the edge of my seat wondering what he's gonna say next.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

AndNowMax posted:

Jim Webb has a decent-ish shot at being Hilary's veep (wrap it up, Castroailures).

Prior to Bernie putting up the Progressive Flag, maybe. He has no shot now because a Webb VP slot means instead of grumbling their way to the booth the Bernie voters stay home entirely. O'Malley's got a much better chance.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You can't :toxx: a probation you idiots. This is the Romney thread all over again.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Demiurge4 posted:

You can't :toxx: a probation you idiots. This is the Romney thread all over again.

This is America, you can :toxx: anything. It's what the Founders wanted.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The VP selection has no effect on the final vote in the general election so the shrewd thing to do as a candidate is to pick the person you can get along with and is closest to your own ideas on policy. This person is going to be hanging around the halls in Hillary's administration for eight years. She shouldn't pick the person who she thinks will (but actually won't anyway) matter on election day. She should pick the person who isn't going to give her headaches over the next 3,000 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Joementum posted:

The VP selection has no effect on the final vote in the general election so the shrewd thing to do as a candidate is to pick the person you can get along with and is closest to your own ideas on policy. This person is going to be hanging around the halls in Hillary's administration for eight years. She shouldn't pick the person who she thinks will (but actually won't anyway) matter on election day. She should pick the person who isn't going to give her headaches over the next 3,000 days.

Or maybe even someone she thinks might make a good president.

Nah.

• Locked thread