Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Drunk in Space posted:

I know these are very bare-bones descriptions, and I'll try to remember more details if I can, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out with the names of them. I've been racking my brain for days now and it's driving me more than a little insane.
The first one is Evil Islands, most likely. http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-EVI/evil-islands
It had a lot of sneaking.

The second one was probably Severance (aka Blade of Darkness) which featured throwing, dismembering, and multiple playable characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
drat that was fast. Yes, you're right on both counts. Just looking at them briefly, it's incredible how much your perceptions change with time. The last time I played those games (I suppose it would have been around 2002) I remember them, especially Severance, looking amazing. Now look at them . . . (although I suppose Severance does actually look pretty decent all things considered).

Thanks for that. I'm going to make a big cup of coffee, check out some youtube playthroughs, and pretend I'm young again. :cheers:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Severance is still a good game. Dark Souls reminded me of it.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I've always liked Disgaea and Disgaea 5 looks great, but I'm not buying a next-gen console. Hopefully NIS will get its head out of its rear end and move stuff to PC.

Also I've no idea where I was supposed to send a request for more Soul Nomad so I'm expecting some salaryman to be very confused at the awfully written e-mail I sent to the first address I could find on NIS's japanese website.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

I've always liked Disgaea and Disgaea 5 looks great, but I'm not buying a next-gen console. Hopefully NIS will get its head out of its rear end and move stuff to PC.

Also I've no idea where I was supposed to send a request for more Soul Nomad so I'm expecting some salaryman to be very confused at the awfully written e-mail I sent to the first address I could find on NIS's japanese website.
"Soul Nomad? Our company's never made a Soul Nomad. Now, I wonder if anyone's asked for more Soul Cradle..."

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
"Have you been eating those spores again!?"
"What?"
"Don't 'What' me private Piss-me-Off"

Working Designs translations are a treasure.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Not that this should come as a surprise to anyone but the DQ7 and DQ8 remakes on the 3ds were unofficially announced for coming west.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm surprised because DQ has been a no show in the US outside of Heroes for a good while

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

dude789 posted:

"Have you been eating those spores again!?"
"What?"
"Don't 'What' me private Piss-me-Off"

Working Designs translations are a treasure.

I wonder if the guy who worked on those went on to write for Family Guy.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Rascyc posted:

Not that this should come as a surprise to anyone but the DQ7 and DQ8 remakes on the 3ds were unofficially announced for coming west.

The DQ7 remake would actually be a pretty big surprise.
Now they just have to get on the new DQ Monsters games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm surprised because DQ has been a no show in the US outside of Heroes for a good while

And the iOS/Android ports, a few of which got entirely new translations.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I love RPGs, but my focus has been on western RPGs. I've been trying to expand my horizons and explore jRPGs. I played and enjoyed: Persona 3, ChronoTrigger, Final Fantasy 6, and Suikoden 2. Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together is one of my top games of all time.

Would I enjoy any of the Tales games? What would posters here recommend as an intro to the series?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

prometheusbound2 posted:

I love RPGs, but my focus has been on western RPGs. I've been trying to expand my horizons and explore jRPGs. I played and enjoyed: Persona 3, ChronoTrigger, Final Fantasy 6, and Suikoden 2. Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together is one of my top games of all time.

Would I enjoy any of the Tales games? What would posters here recommend as an intro to the series?

What do you want in an RPG? Combat? story? Urgency? What did you like about those jrpgs you already played?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

prometheusbound2 posted:

If you have a 360 give Tales of Vesperia a shot. It's probably one of the better 'introductions' to the franchise. By and large the Tales games are good but their plots are goofy as hell so it depends on your tolerance for JRPG-style plots. They are almost always carried by their combat systems and character interaction.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Vesperia has fairly sluggish but still enjoyable combat, a neat idea for a plot that it sadly doesn't fully deliver on, and really good characters with a fun party dynamic.

Tales of Graces F has a slow, kind of boring intro, really great combat, a bad plot, but very funny character interactions and an enjoyable 'adventure' feel.

Tales of Xillia has a pretty decent plot, pretty good combat, and a pretty fun cast of characters, but it's rushed so there's no real post-game content and the third act of the story is slapshod.

Tales of the Abyss has an actually really good plot, but the characters are all kind of dicks to each other (this is intentional, and they all grow out of it, but some people really dislike that) and it's got the 'characters don't tell each other pertinent information' thing going. Its combat is pretty simple compared to later games, but still enjoyable. It also has missable sidequests out the rear end, if that bugs you.

There's no one Tales game that's universally considered the 'best,' so it's kind of hard to recommend one game over another. Every game has its ups and downs. My personal favorite is Xillia, I feel it's the most consistent of the recent games, but you can definitely feel the strains of their deadline around the ending. It's not KOTOR 2 levels, not by a longshot, but it's the same sensation of 'I can literally tell where they excised entire chunks of the game.'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 5, 2015

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

tales of destiny is pretty good I think, if you can stomach the encounter rate. you eventually do get ways to lower it, but even then it's a bit much I think. rutee is 'the bomb'

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Tae posted:

What do you want in an RPG? Combat? story? Urgency? What did you like about those jrpgs you already played?

All extremely fair questions I probably should have initially elaborated on.

Story is by far the most important part of an RPG for me. I don't mind goofy plots if they know they're goofy and well executed. And I'm less interested in plot so much as I'm interested in character development and interaction.

I enjoyed Persona 3 for its sense of place and interacting with a world. And I liked that the storyline effectively evoked mystery and dread.

I like Final Fantasy VI for its elements of exploration and storyline.

In Suikoden 2, I really enjoyed the political plot and the base building elements.

Tactics Ogre I loved for its storyline(it did politics better than Suikoden 2 and most other video games) and also its gameplay/combat system.

I understand the "point" of the Tales games is that it has a much more fast paced system. I'm cool with fast paced combat, but I'd like to see crafting systems, the ability to approach combat challenges from multiple angles(i.e. not just lineareally more powerful attacks) and diverse and interesting equipment and character options.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

if you liked tactics ogre, you might give FFT a try. war and politics. I would recommend patching the psx version with the psp script.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Final Fantasy 12 and FFTactics are also Matsuno games, like Tactics Ogre. Tactics Ogre 64 is also another excellent game about political intrigue.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I've never played FF7 before, and I've been eyeing it on Steam since it's like $12, but I've got a couple questions:

- If you've got a controller plugged in, does it let you pick which controller you want to use, or just assume a default/accept inputs from all? I know this is a weirdly specific question, but there's a fun bug with unofficial Dual Shock 4 drivers for Windows 10 where the controller shows up as both a generic controller and a 360 controller in Windows, and the option that's supposed to let you hide the generic controller doesn't work.
- In case gamepads aren't an option for me, how's the keyboard controls?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

prometheusbound2 posted:

Story is by far the most important part of an RPG for me. I don't mind goofy plots if they know they're goofy and well executed. And I'm less interested in plot so much as I'm interested in character development and interaction.

I enjoyed Persona 3 for its sense of place and interacting with a world. And I liked that the storyline effectively evoked mystery and dread.

In Suikoden 2, I really enjoyed the political plot and the base building elements.

Tactics Ogre I loved for its storyline(it did politics better than Suikoden 2 and most other video games) and also its gameplay/combat system.

I understand the "point" of the Tales games is that it has a much more fast paced system. I'm cool with fast paced combat, but I'd like to see crafting systems, the ability to approach combat challenges from multiple angles(i.e. not just lineareally more powerful attacks) and diverse and interesting equipment and character options.

If you liked Persona 3 you'll probably like Persona 4. It's more optimistic but I feel there's a greater sense of place as the setting is a rustic little town that I think more Westerners could relate to (my favorite minor detail is Japanese Walmart running out all local business) than a super private school in the middle of a bustling metropolis. It's a mystery story with some pretty good surprises and definitely stronger character interaction than P3.

I think you'd enjoy Nier. It's a rough game but it's dark and weird with lots of neat twists you'd probably enjoy.

If you have a Playstation 3 then check out Grandia and Grandia 2 should be hitting Steam soon. They're more traditional RPGs, very linear with a focus on combat, but their stories take a backseat and put the characters full on in the spotlight.

I hesitate to recommend Xenogears but it's worth checking out. The story isn't good but it's so loving weird that it's interesting as a time capsule of game design in the late 90s where companies were trying to go bigger and badder with a mishmash of inspirations shoved into a single project that ultimately crumbles apart in the end (literally).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

prometheusbound2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al64LdoZdEI for its mostly fast paced combat system and diverse character options and two-angle plot. There's a lot of politics/war in this game that you get to see all the scenes from various sides on how they deal with it, much like FFT and Tactics Ogre. The core plot is mostly SAVE THE WORLD though but it gets intermixed with the whole war plot instead.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Ogre Battle 64 is a baller game and I only wish somebody could make a rebalance hack for it. The enemy unit design only takes the gloves off once and it sucks that you still see empty slots in the last act. Caliber is glorious for the bullshit enemies it throws at you.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

al-azad posted:

If you liked Persona 3 you'll probably like Persona 4. It's more optimistic but I feel there's a greater sense of place as the setting is a rustic little town that I think more Westerners could relate to (my favorite minor detail is Japanese Walmart running out all local business) than a super private school in the middle of a bustling metropolis.
I always felt that there only being like four places you could go to outside the school (not counting plot events) was really weird in P3. While in P4, there's a good bet there aren't any other restaurants of note in the city besides the ones on that street.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

abraham linksys posted:

I've never played FF7 before, and I've been eyeing it on Steam since it's like $12, but I've got a couple questions:

- If you've got a controller plugged in, does it let you pick which controller you want to use, or just assume a default/accept inputs from all? I know this is a weirdly specific question, but there's a fun bug with unofficial Dual Shock 4 drivers for Windows 10 where the controller shows up as both a generic controller and a 360 controller in Windows, and the option that's supposed to let you hide the generic controller doesn't work.
- In case gamepads aren't an option for me, how's the keyboard controls?

1. A test had it default to my "controller 1", but to be fair, it's not perfect. The port requires you to hit X on the keyboard when the game begins because it won't accept keypad input for one screen that's unskippable otherwise, which comes after the company logos, which, ironically, can be skipped with the gamepad.
They're loving awful, but they're remappable. This is the aforementioned screen you have to hit X on the keyboard to get past, by the way.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Nuebot posted:

So I'm going to have to buy a PS4 for two games coming out, Nier 2 and Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. So are there any other good RPGs, Japanese or not, on it that I can't get on PC? Aside from Final Fantasy.

isnt cyber sleuth a) jp only and b) a vita game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

prometheusbound2 posted:

You need to play Saga Frontier 2. Fuckin' full stop, go play it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

isnt cyber sleuth a) jp only and b) a vita game

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth coming to North America for PS4, PS Vita in 2016

not for long

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Davincie posted:

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth coming to North America for PS4, PS Vita in 2016

not for long

thats good news and i will probably buy a vita at that point(or vita tv i guess)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is there any point in continuing to level up my Lancers and Engineers in Valkyria Chronicles? Now that my Scouts are level 11 they double as good Shocktroopers, and now that my Shocktroopers are level 11 they double as decent Lancers, and I feel like I only ever use Engineers once every couple of chapters to repair my tank or remove mines.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is there any point in continuing to level up my Lancers and Engineers in Valkyria Chronicles? Now that my Scouts are level 11 they double as good Shocktroopers, and now that my Shocktroopers are level 11 they double as decent Lancers, and I feel like I only ever use Engineers once every couple of chapters to repair my tank or remove mines.

Yes, you need Lancers and should keep them levelled up. There are some things Scouts can't murder even with Attack-Boost Orders. Engineers are only really useful on maybe one or two longer missions.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Nope. VC1 is 90% Scouts and 10% Shocktroopers after a certain point in the game. Leveling Lancers only gets you the super cheap spell that makes even Scouts able to kill tanks, but they are mandatory for some missions. It doesn't hurt to have them take a level every other mission.

Engineers are useless and have been for the entire franchise.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

You need to play Saga Frontier 2. Fuckin' full stop, go play it.

bruh i love the saga series but you gotta tag that poo poo with "*this game is good but if you were an enlightened zen monk, you would still put your fist through a wall by the time you got to the final boss"

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The White Dragon posted:

bruh i love the saga series but you gotta tag that poo poo with "*this game is good but if you were an enlightened zen monk, you would still put your fist through a wall by the time you got to the final boss"

The game only feels that way right around the final boss. It's actually rather easy up until the Egg dungeon (well, maybe one or two before it). I found it easier overall than Saga Frontier 1.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I realise I'm about 5 years late on this question, but...does Final Fantasy 13 ever become cool and good? I got it in the sale for £5 and I like the music and graphics. I do not like how linear it is and how bad the voice acting is.

I just got the ability to level up the characters with the crystal points or whatever. Does it open up soon, or does it continue the pattern of walk along corridor, fight things, 'explore' tiny branching path to gain potion, save?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

I realise I'm about 5 years late on this question, but...does Final Fantasy 13 ever become cool and good? I got it in the sale for £5 and I like the music and graphics. I do not like how linear it is and how bad the voice acting is.

I just got the ability to level up the characters with the crystal points or whatever. Does it open up soon, or does it continue the pattern of walk along corridor, fight things, 'explore' tiny branching path to gain potion, save?

Nope. Until chapter 11, you are walking corridors and predetermined paths and can't even switch party members until then. Then it suddenly becomes a huge rear end skyrim battle area where 99% of the optional content is. Then next 2 chapters after that, back to corridors.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

final fantasy 13 is cool and good but it never really opens up

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Tae posted:

Nope. VC1 is 90% Scouts and 10% Shocktroopers after a certain point in the game. Leveling Lancers only gets you the super cheap spell that makes even Scouts able to kill tanks, but they are mandatory for some missions. It doesn't hurt to have them take a level every other mission.

Engineers are useless and have been for the entire franchise.

You don't need to play like that. For most missions, an A-Rank is possible using a good unit composition and decent tactics - not merely scout rushing. (Not necessarily beatable with A on your first attempt, but beatable nonetheless.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo instead of 'opening up' ff13 just should have significantly shortened itself. i think it'd be much cooler as a zippy 10-15 hour game

of course the world would have shat itself at the prospect of a jrpg that doesn't desperately stall for time to stretch a basic adventure plot over an 80 hour runtime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Endorph posted:

imo instead of 'opening up' ff13 just should have significantly shortened itself. i think it'd be much cooler as a zippy 10-15 hour game

of course the world would have shat itself at the prospect of a jrpg that doesn't desperately stall for time to stretch a basic adventure plot over an 80 hour runtime

I agree. It isn't so much the linearity that's bothering me, it's how little the encounters between cutscenes seem to matter. The number of piddly and identical fights between save points could be halved.

The 4hrs I've played would have been better as a kind of boss rush.