Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

ToiletDuckie posted:

Carrier question: once every ten games or so, I'll run into someone that can have their torpedo planes drop in a wave instead of the normal parallel drop. It's almost like the planes are turning as they drop or maybe dropping at the same point sequentially.

Err, it's hard to describe, but it seems like something that'd be really useful for getting every torpedo to hit a stationary target or form a better spread vs. DDs. I've never been able to reproduce it while playing carriers, though. Is it something that you can force by combining manual drop with other commands?

It happens when they use auto drop on a target that is turning.

It screws up the arc so the torpedoes go all over the place not in a line but generally towards the same point and you can't do it while manually dropping.

That's if I'm thinking of what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

I feel like the US equivalent is kinda bad, but maybe because I haven't upgraded any of the equipment on either of them yet.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

So uh which Tier 4 skill is best for Japanese Cruisers? I feel like I really, really use HE a lot since I'm shooting at DDs a fair amount. Heck I've never been able to get good at getting Citadels at all. On the other hand "More AA" and "not needing to blow repair the instant your stern gets hit" sound good too.

Probably Demolition Expert, but it's down to personal choice. IJN cruisers just don't have particularly great AA suites, so I feel boosting their range is okay, but ultimately pretty eh. And the second part is basically worthless at the higher tiers, as you no longer have the guns it applies to. Last Stand sounds good, but at the higher tiers it's both less likely and less important for them to be shot out. I've also not seen what exactly the degraded capability corresponds to, as they give no numbers. Them working at 50% capacity is pretty good; them working at 10% is basically worthless. Still, assuming it leans towards that higher amount you could make an argument for the skill.

Peavey
Aug 22, 2007
hi
When is it a good idea to switch from HE to AP? I'm currently only at tier 3 and haven't got a battleship yet. I can't see an advantage to AP that trumps constantly setting everything on fire and breaking guns with HE. Is it just effective due to the low tiers involved?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

xthetenth posted:

French actually.

But no seriously the French and Italians should be hilarious fun and it's annoying as hell that the horrible regime fan club needs to have their godawful ships in first.

Spica-class "large torpedo boat" as a T2 or T3 destroyer, please. Some of those tiny buggers did hilarious things. :allears:

Peavey posted:

When is it a good idea to switch from HE to AP? I'm currently only at tier 3 and haven't got a battleship yet. I can't see an advantage to AP that trumps constantly setting everything on fire and breaking guns with HE. Is it just effective due to the low tiers involved?

In a battleship: Always unless you're up against a destroyer.
In a cruiser with 8in guns: At long range against a BB or at any range agianst other cruisers.
In a cruiser with 6in guns: At short range against other cruisers that aren't named St. Louis.
In a DD: Haha, never. Well, I guess if you're very close up against a Chikuma, Tenryu, Kuma, Phoenix or Omaha. But evne that's questionable.

Once you learn to get citadel hits, you'll do magical things that make enemy ships dissapear.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
DDs can load AP if they're close enough to shake hands with an enemy cruiser. Longer out if the CA is named Tenryuu, Kuma, Phoenix, or Pensacola (assuming you have a DD that is close to tier of the Pepsicola). You could probably whip it out sooner on most CAs, but those ones are special as they have fairly easy to hit citadels, and its worth going for instead of splashing HE on them hoping to knock out some guns and survive longer while your torps or smoke reloads to bail out. You usually shouldn't get in a gun fight with a cruiser, even if you're uptiered as a US DD, but sometimes it becomes inevitable.

Swap to AP if you're desperate, as well. If you're going to die and you need a miracle to turn the game around, whipping out AP and potentially ammo racking somebody on a lucky turret penetration could be a game-changer.

Never shoot AP at a DD. You can pen them with HE and citadel, and you'll knock out more modules (especially the rudder) with HE's superior effective range. You also don't run the risk of overpenning and wasting your shells.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Didn't one of the beta patches basically remove citadel damage from destroyers to improve survivability? There is no reason to shoot AP at them unless that is what is loaded and you do not have the -30% reload speed while switching ammo type in loaded guns captain skill.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Gort posted:

I'm in the same boat - I just started playing yesterday and the South Carolina is the funnest ship I own.

I don't think battleships are my style. Whenever I play my South Carolina on the road to carriers I always feel like the fat kid on the one speed bicycle. I miss my Minekaze when I play battleships. I did notice that the Minekaze turrets are painfully slow to traverse. It's the balance against the long range torps of course. And I don't know if I like the Minekaze's 10km slower torps.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

grrarg posted:

Didn't one of the beta patches basically remove citadel damage from destroyers to improve survivability? There is no reason to shoot AP at them unless that is what is loaded and you do not have the -30% reload speed while switching ammo type in loaded guns captain skill.

Correct, they basically just have hitboxes where you can knock out components or hit their magazine.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I like the Chester and St. Louis solely because they have that Great White Fleet-era ornateness about them that later ships lack. :shobon:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

grrarg posted:

The only hitbox change they made was a fix where hitting under the waterline would cause a DD to instantly explode. Other than that I'm pretty sure nothing really changed.

Hazdoc posted:

Never shoot AP at a DD. You can pen them with HE and citadel, and you'll knock out more modules (especially the rudder) with HE's superior effective range. You also don't run the risk of overpenning and wasting your shells.
A citadel hit with HE isn't really as impressive as it sounds though, since unlike WoT HE in this game does roughly half the damage an AP shell does if it penetrates. The issue is overpenetration like you said but I generally have no qualms firing AP from cruisers into them.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ofaloaf posted:

I like the Chester and St. Louis solely because they have that Great White Fleet-era ornateness about them that later ships lack. :shobon:

I really hope we get a premium St. Louis one of these days with fresh white paint and all the trim sparkling.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You know, I have to admit when I'm wrong - I really expected WG to pull a "buy the temporarily-removed premiums for cash" thing over the holiday weekend, but they didn't. So a bit of credit is due.

Doesn't mean they still might not do it, though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A special Chinese battleship with the guns removed and replaced with catapults to launch Type 59s at the enemy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A special Chinese battleship with the guns removed and replaced with catapults to launch Type 59s at the enemy.

And it looks like the turtle boat

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

What are people picking for their 1-point skill for carriers? Basics of Survivability seems like the better choice, but Basic Firing Training seems like it could be decently useful too, given carriers both have good AA to begin with and are almost always priority targets for other carriers. Expert Rear Gunner seems like it might be at least okay too, but I have no real idea just how much self-defense armament rear gunners have in the first place for it to boost.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I took the +AA one because I'm going down US CVs which have good AA, and I feel that while being able to put out fire and flooding faster sounds good on paper, in practice in a CV if you're in either of those two states it's not really going to help since you either got attacked from the air in which case your repair will be back up by the time they're back, or you're getting shot at by an enemy ship in which case being able to put out a fire 15% faster isn't going to help you very much anyway.

The rear gunner one seems completely pointless because I think I've seen bombers shoot down something a total of like, one time ever and I don't think +10% effectiveness or whatever is going to change that.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

First game in the New Mexico: 1,916 exp loss, confederate, and 122k damage. This is gonna be a good boat.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What captain skills should I be going for?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gort posted:

What captain skills should I be going for?

Depends what class of ship that Captain is going to stick with.

US + IJN Battleships and Cruisers: Basic Firing Training, Aiming Expert, Superintendent, Advanced Firing Training, then I'm not yet sure what else. Torpedo Armament Expertise has value for IJN cruisers only.

US + IJN Destroyers: Situational Awareness, Torpedo Armament Expertise, Superintendent, Concealment Expert, and then it gets murky with demolition expert and last stand having appeal, aiming expert is useful on IJN destroyers but completely wasted on US destroyers

Carriers you want Torpedo Armament Expertise and the 3, 4 and 5 plane ones, but as above the 1 skill depends on the 1 plane skill actually being worth it, or just boosting your AA a bit

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 5, 2015

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Insert name here posted:

The rear gunner one seems completely pointless because I think I've seen bombers shoot down something a total of like, one time ever and I don't think +10% effectiveness or whatever is going to change that.

I have it on my IJN captain, and I have had quite a few times where my bomber squadron has killed 1-2 equal level fighters chasing after them.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
You don't need Superintendent on cruisers because only consumable with limited charge is plane.

Also Cleveland's 6 inch bouncing off Aoba at 3 km :psyduck:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Has anyone gotten one of these yet? :smugdog: probably but I want to feel special :saddowns:

As you can see, I certainly didn't kill those 4 ships. My team had a healthy point lead but then they all melted, leaving 5 enemy ships against 2 of us in destroyers. My last teammate died right after I torpedoed a St. Louis that was trying to cap, and then the rest of the match was me hanging out near our last cap point as the battleships slooooowly trundled towards it.

Aesis posted:

You don't need Superintendent on cruisers because only consumable with limited charge is plane.

Yeah I'd go with High Alert or Vigilance for a rank 3 skill.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I've already picked it on my Cruiser captains, and I'm not about to waste gold changing it, so I guess I'll be using a lot of float planes

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Tier 9 and 10 cruisers get the battleship repair ability which has limited charges, so it will be useful then, but until then, yeah...

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
No idea how Fire Prevention works, but even with DCP it just doesn't seem to prevent fire that much.

e: You know how Wargaming could rake in more money? Gold for extra commander skill points :v: War thunder already does it so Wargaming won't be the first to do it.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 5, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Did they break all of the "aim assist" mods, or are some still working?

Because getting that one guy in a Phoenix/Omaha who manages to land every single salvo on your wildly dancing destroyer at 13km every 3 or 4 battles is really loving annoying.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

NTRabbit posted:

Did they break all of the "aim assist" mods, or are some still working?

Because getting that one guy in a Phoenix/Omaha who manages to land every single salvo on your wildly dancing destroyer at 13km every 3 or 4 battles is really loving annoying.
Probably some Russians got it working. I've seen handful of Clevelands do that from 13~14 km too despite all the wild dancing. Assuming they're using top-down view as well, because they knew exactly how far ahead to aim.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 5, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I finally got into this game. I tried to get into the closed beta but it never seemed to happen.

World of Warships is a lot of fun, but like others have said very different from World of Tanks. Right now it is very hard not to resist the urge to do suicide torpedo runs with my Clemson. Once people told me, "If you target an enemy ship while your torpedoes are armed, you get a 'lead' indicator" I've sank so many ships with torpedoes. I think the first BB I sank was like the second time I ever used Destroyers, which was pretty exciting. But I do have some questions:

-What exactly does upgrading Fire Control do? Just boost your maximum range a bit? Its hard to notice a difference.

-People explained the difference between using HE and AP, but so far every time I use AP it does almost no damage to ships. And its not 'over penetrating' most of this time; it indicates I've scored hits, but just no damage. So far I haven't gotten any of those impressive citadel hits people mentioned.

-How is the grind compared to World of Tanks? So far I have a St. Louis and a Clemson. I also had pre-ordered a month of premium through amazon which I didn't remember doing, so I know I'm at least getting bonus money/exp. But since I just started playing yesterday I haven't gotten any of those insanely good 1,000+ exp games; I can sink a ship or two and compared to WoT I actually survive far more battles in this game. But even at tier 3 its looking like a long grind.

-How much fun are carriers? I used to play Navyfield for years and LOVED playing Carriers, it was like playing a completely different game. Is Carrier play in Warships similar to how it was in Navyfield?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'd say carriers actually do play close to Navyfield, since the game gives you a top down view when you're doing plane stuff. Right now is a good time to start the Japanese CV lines because nothing had AA at low level and not that many people are doing the fighter focused US lines yet.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Fire control: Increase max range for main turret. Doesn't do anything else. However it is useful as current game flow is just clustering up and shooting at near-max range.
AP: Hit doesn't mean penetration. So if you're getting no damage then the shells bounced.
Grind: Worse than WoT because it takes at least twice longer per game while xp reward and requirements remain similar. I've played for 25+ hours but only managed to play 152 games and get 200k xp. Also lower tiers get lower xp.

e: If AP shells penetrate but over-penetrates, doesn't crit hit or doesn't damage citadel then it'll do minimum damage.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 5, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
If he played Navyfield seriously, no grind could possibly compare. *Grinds PVE mission 100 times over five hours, tries veteran conversion ten times, fails every one, now worse than when I started*

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I managed to get a perfect torp run this morning and hit 5/6.

Sadly, it was on a teammate. :smith:

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I forgot about about vet conversion in that game. WoWs is automatically better based on that alone.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Aesis posted:

Fire control: Increase max range for main turret. Doesn't do anything else. However it is useful as current game flow is just clustering up and shooting at near-max range.

Should be yes but I played 8 games late last night and lost every one of them. No-one would sail together, my teams just drove one after the other into the waiting packs of opposition. Related question: anyone on the EU server playing WoWS?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I guess they were as bored as I am, except I don't drive into the pack :v:

e: 1.6k base xp on win with Atago for doing only 30k damage and stopping 63 points of cap :stare: Not the brightest Fubuki player I've seen. He just sat in cap doing nothing even when it was obvious I was inside cap to stop capture.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 5, 2015

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How are people getting these insane amounts of xp? I sink 3 other cruisers in my St. Louis, we win, yet I'm only getting about 350xp.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Panfilo posted:

How are people getting these insane amounts of xp? I sink 3 other cruisers in my St. Louis, we win, yet I'm only getting about 350xp.

Check and make sure you aren't playing against Bots. Those are typical numbers for co-op battles.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What level do you have to be to 'grow out' of playing co op matches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

This match went way better than I expected. All but three enemy ships went south, we were kind of in the middle and some going towards A.

Enemy team had 2 carriers to our one (which died in the first wave of torp bombers, ugh), but cutting through the middle got our cruisers and my battleship in range to peg their carriers. No planes came after that first wave.

Somehow, right at the end and right after I was able to pop my last hull repair, I got in brawling range with a Myogi who was inattentively shooting at someone else. He got me pretty good after I landed a whole lot of hits, but it wasn't enough.