Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I enjoyed the heck out of the DQIV-VI trilogy, especially V. I didn't have as much fun with IX but that was mostly because I misunderstood the class leveling system for most of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I remember getting DW for free with my subscription to Nintendo Power when I was like 7 or 8. First NES & JRPG I ever played so the series has a special place for me. Bring it on! (I also never played a single other one to completion)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Dragon Quest is one of my favourite series ever and DQ7 is a day one purchase, but hopefully they do a mobile port first cause I'd rather have it on my iPhone than the 3DS. The mobile version of DQ8 is fantastic and has been around over a year. Apparently Japan is supposed to get an iOS/Android port of DQ7 this summer.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BGrifter posted:

Dragon Quest is one of my favourite series ever and DQ7 is a day one purchase, but hopefully they do a mobile port first cause I'd rather have it on my iPhone than the 3DS. The mobile version of DQ8 is fantastic and has been around over a year. Apparently Japan is supposed to get an iOS/Android port of DQ7 this summer.

what a filthy casual

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aren't all the DQ phone ports playable in portrait only? That's what I've seen in all the reviews and it follows with the lazy poo poo port jobs Square-Enix has done with the games I have seen.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

raditts posted:

Aren't all the DQ phone ports playable in portrait only? That's what I've seen in all the reviews and it follows with the lazy poo poo port jobs Square-Enix has done with the games I have seen.

It threw me at first, but DQ8 actually plays extremely well in portrait. The controls are fantastic and it was one of the first ports I played that felt really well designed around the limitations of mobile rather than just slapping on crappy touch controls and calling it a day. The DQ ports are nothing like the terrible things they did with the Final Fantasy ones.

I think Touch Arcade did pretty extensive reviews of all of them if you're really curious.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

dq games are mediocre and time spent translating them is wasted time

Spoken like a man who hasn't played Dragon Quest V. Now admittedly, it is also the only DQ I've had the drive to finish out of all the DS ones, but seriously DQV is so good. It's so goddamn good. DQ as a franchise has validated its existence because it produced DQV. It has literally the best plot out of any JRPG I have ever played. You get so invested in it! It is kind of a slow burn, but when it gets there it really gets there.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I don't know why you guys are so down on DQ, I think their blizzards are pretty good.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
Even though no one answered my question about Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3, it runs really well on the N3ds. It really scratches that musou itch. I only grabbed it blind because the 3ds is the primary platform it was developed for and it was optimized for the better processor in the -`new´- system.

The hopping around between your units really minimizes the downtime. You can usually trust the AI to go to important objectives so you don't have to waste time micromanaging their orders. For timed stuff it's a good idea to just quantum leap to the closest unit and rush over.

There seems to be a good amount of unlockable stuff, even if it's a bit grindy for things like your custom unit to use another officers weapon (their move set).

It probably runs really bad on the regular 3ds though, seeing as how the few reviews I read complain about frame rate, they seem to not be using a n3ds.

I want Hyrule Warriors 3DS real bad though. Also they need to make Fire Emblem Warriors.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Everyone go play DQV right now. And if you've already played it before, play it again.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The only Dragon Quest I've ever played for myself is the sixth one. I've seen LPs of 1-5, though, and they all seemed pretty good. I can see why people hold V up to this golden standard, but it has its share of problems too. For me, VI was pretty good, it just had a bit of a wonky Job Class mechanic and required a bit of grinding to make said jobs useful in the long run. But the world was huge and full of things to explore, and it has some of the best methods of traveling the world in any game I've ever played. (a flying bed as an airship, a literal island as a normal ship, AN ENTIRE FLOATING KINGDOM YOU MAKE GO WHEREVER YOU WANT)

Though story-driven plots and stories of growth like V's are cool, I liked the way VI presented itself in the whole world being somewhat important. But no Dragon Quest game is perfect, no GAME is perfect really. If VII and VIII come out here, I will definitely play both of them to see what else I've been missing.

I also beat Fantasy Life's main story yesterday. I was a Hunter for the whole thing but I guess the game doesn't want to force you to fight if you didn't choose a class that could fight? Made the story pretty underwhelming and just a vehicle to unlock new areas in the end. But I still had fun with exploring the world when the story wasn't active, and will likely continue to have that kind of fun now that it's over. Anybody have any suggestions for further enjoyment?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah you only play the main quests in Fantasy Life to open up new areas, the real game is just maxing out the jobs.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Party Meiser posted:

I want Hyrule Warriors 3DS real bad though. Also they need to make Fire Emblem Warriors.

:monocle:

I would play the living poo poo out of this.

:siren: ALSO, FOR YOU GLASSES PEOPLE: :siren:

Looks like a recent firmware update has tweaked whatever algorithm the super stable 3D uses on the Nu3DS, because I've been having no issues with my glasses on now, and I wear big black Buddy Holly glasses. Just make sure you're holding the thing at least a foot away from your face, and it works now. :woop:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Everyone go play DQV right now. And if you've already played it before, play it again.

Just completed my 4-5-6 trilogy set for DS. 4 and 5 were like $80 on Amazon at some point, but they must've done a reprint or something because I found both of those games for $20 used at Gamestop. No case, so I ordered a couple of empty ones and a dude at Staples printed the covers for free.

Fuzz posted:

:monocle:

I would play the living poo poo out of this.

Looks like a recent firmware update has tweaked whatever algorithm the super stable 3D uses on the Nu3DS, because I've been having no issues with my glasses on now, and I wear big black Buddy Holly glasses. Just make sure you're holding the thing at least a foot away from your face, and it works now. :woop:

Huh, I knew something was up.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Fuzz posted:

That's great news as I have been experiencing the same problem with the Nu3DS.

I'm also really pumped about the Dragon Quest announcements. :woop:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Should I play all the dq games

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

DQ8 on PS2 was my favorite. However, playing the first one on NES as a kid made me avoid JRPGs for decades.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

noirstronaut posted:

No. The gameplay is super simplistic, like slightly upgraded Wizardy. DQ is a franchise that doesn't radically change at all, like Dynasty Warriors in terms of gameplay. Basically just pick a game with a story that interests you.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

noirstronaut posted:

Yes but not in order. Start with DQ9, then once you get bored of the post game in about 2017 start on DQ8 or 4-6.

I want the DQ9 post game as a standalone game with regular content patches sooooooo bad.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
these answers are very different

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DQ8 was great, but also the only DQ I particularly cared for. i couldn't really get into 9

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

these answers are very different

Play 8 when it's rereleased. If you like it get Heroes on Wii U. That's what I'm doing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It depends on how much you like the direction JRPGs took after Final Fantasy 7 and X. If you liked FF4+6 more you'll probably love Dragon Quest. If you like 30 minute cutscenes with anime teenagers whining incessantly about stupid poo poo like in Final Fantasy X, you're unlikely to enjoy Dragon Quest games.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

One time I decided to start playing the DQ games in order because I'd never played much of any of them.

I got up to about halfway through DQ4, several years ago, and have not touched the games since. I'd say that unless you know you'll be super into it, start with the ones that people recommend so you don't burn out by the time you get to them.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BGrifter posted:

It depends on how much you like the direction JRPGs took after Final Fantasy 7 and X. If you liked FF4+6 more you'll probably love Dragon Quest. If you like 30 minute cutscenes with anime teenagers whining incessantly about stupid poo poo like in Final Fantasy X, you're unlikely to enjoy Dragon Quest games.

lol

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

BGrifter posted:

:frog:

That said, DQ5 is fantastic and you should play it

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy on the NES got me into RPGs. Dragon Warrior III on the NES is one of my all-time favorite RPGs. Dragon Quest games rule.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy on the NES got me into RPGs. Dragon Warrior III on the NES is one of my all-time favorite RPGs. Dragon Quest games rule.

This man knows what life is all about.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dragon Quest is cool and good.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's worth noting that, with Dragon Quest 8, the entire series is on portables, and all the portable versions are better than the console version, possibly excepting Dragon Quest 8 because they apparently just ported that one rather than remake it like the previous seven.

Dragon (Warrior) 1+2 and 3 are on GBC, 1+2 is on one cart too so it's easier to jump from one to two, and it's pretty neat to go from the extremely limited DQ1 to the much more fleshed out DQ2.

DQ1 had just one hero, and one monster per battle, the story is you're out to save a princess from a dragon... it's really really simple, but also short and charming and the GBC version cuts out a lot of the grind that padded the first game's length out. DQ2 is a lot better, it's got multiple characters with their own personalties and stories, you can fight more than one monster at once, the world is huge now and the story takes you all over it. It's pretty cool to see just how much the sequel improved on the original on basically every point.

But Dragon (Warrior) 3 is easily the best on GBC, and possibly the best GBC game ever, it's just absolutely massive, looks great with super smooth pixel animation, has the best job system in the game, and the story, while still a super simple NES game story, is pretty cool with a bunch of neat details tying it back into the first two games. The leaps in quality from 1 to 2 to 3 are hilariously massive and if the series had kept up that level of quality improvements then it would be celebrated as one of the best games series ever.

Instead, the series kept on improving in quality until DQ3 and then was like, "Yeah, yeah that's good enough, let's stop innovating now". So DQ4 plays a lot like DQ3, and DQ5 plays a lot like DQ4, and so on. There's enough differences between each game that it's not nearly that cut and dry, like DQ6 is basically a pokemon game, and honestly DQ4 being a DS game sequel to a GBC game means it's still a really massive improvement beyond just how the story's presented, so there's still a lot to discover, but "gameplay innovation" kinda stops cold.

Also I only made it partway through V, got stuck and procrastinated on looking up what I was supposed to do to the point that I can't even remember where I left off, so if I do get back to that game I'd need to start over from the beginning.

Also also pressing B to talk to people in your party who'll have unique things to say for basically every major event and hell even every room in the game is really, really cool. Took me until halfway through V before I found out I could do that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a dragon quest megathread? If not there needs to be because dq chat suuuuucks and the only dq I want to chat about is Dairy Queen :reject:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
DW8 3DS is adding two playable characters. There's no reason to play the console version other than you have a PS2 raring to go.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a dragon quest megathread? If not there needs to be because dq chat suuuuucks and the only dq I want to chat about is Dairy Queen :reject:

There is, also stop posting and leave the forums.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

8 is really hosed up on iOS, they haven't patched it since it came out and the framerate is awful + there's tons of other issues

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
If you play games on your phone you should be locked up.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

elf help book posted:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

elf help book posted:

Seriously. Mobile games suck poo poo and are ruining everything. I bought my nephew a DS and he never touches it cause all his friends play iPad f2p poo poo or Minecraft PE. gently caress this world I'm off to Diary Queen to catch some streetpasses.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

elf help book posted:

agreed

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I tried playing DQV because this thread recommended it ages ago but I didn't like it and quit about half way through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I remember one of the post game bosses in DQ8 being literally unbeatable if you didn't max out spear levels or something due to it having super armor. Did I just never figure that out or what was that thing about?