Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

eXXon posted:

So uh was there ever a definitive answer as to what happened to Adda, Anais and John Natalis?

John Natalis went missing after a battle, I don't think Adda and Anais are ever mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

I think that's not the only mouth of the Pontar. If you pay attention, the swamp and lake was clearly once an outlet of the Pontar in the past as well.
That small Pontar mouth is eerily similar to how Niben River was depicted in Oblivion though (including how a large ship seemingly able to sail the impassable land obstacle).

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yen is mean to peasants when she doesn't have to be, then makes excuses for it. That's lame. I didn't buy her remorse for treating Sven's ghost like poo poo for a second, and I also didn't believe her " that's not Sven" line.

Whenever I'm with Yen in this game I feel like I'm sitting at a table next to someone bitching to a server that the restaurant is too loud when they have a headache. I don't see why anyone would put up with a person like that, but it takes all kinds I guess. Strong women do exist that are mature enough not to be rude even when they're stressed. I posit that the people who defend Yen are the true nerds, and wish good luck to them in their future relationships while I enjoy mine with someone who isn't rude.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Personally, as a woman, Geralt fawning over Yen was just gross. All his dialogue for her was this sappy "ur the best, Yen", "Wow, ur soo pretty, Yen", "Yen, how are u so cool?". Over and over and it just seemed a little pathetic. Talking to Triss, Geralt seemed to be comfortable, like he was talking to an old friend. Then you get to the djinn part and all of a sudden it's like, oh that's why he was acting like a whipped dope the whole time, he was magically attracted to her . And then it was like, ok so Geralt has a great connection with Triss despite the forced connection to Yen. And of course, Yen's general air of "gently caress you, I don't gotta explain any of my abhorrent actions to anyone blah blah blah." was just a huge turn off. If it was an equal relationship then why not tell Geralt your plans? Geralt has Ciri's best interests at heart too, so maybe instead of tricking him into loving up people's lives you can just be honest and then maybe come up with a different solution together. Because it's a relationship between lovers and not between a mom and her dumbshit kid. I love strong women, but there's a difference between standing up for yourself and what you believe in and just steamrolling everyone but you think they are too stupid to understand. Not a cool attitude. Triss, you my gurl.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Pot Of Shoe posted:

Then you get to the djinn part and all of a sudden it's like, oh that's why he was acting like a whipped dope the whole time, he was magically attracted to her . And then it was like, ok so Geralt has a great connection with Triss despite the forced connection to Yen.

Actually, Geralt made that wish because he was already fawning over Yen, and she didn't especially care much for him. What the wish was, specifically, was never revealed, but it bound Yen to him AND got them out of a situation with that first djinn immediately. I'm still early in reading the books, but the Yen in the game seems very true to the Yen in the books. Someone said she gets better later on though, I'd imagine this happens after Ciri comes into the picture.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I can see this sort of complex "why the hell would you be with her / him?" relationship situation in real life happen all the time and accept it in a drat character story-driven game. Happens all the time with old married couples if you ask me. Given how old both Yennefer and Gerald are, I'm not sure how else the interactions could be given the pretty bitter, miserable lives they lead a lot of the time. I'm not sure how old Triss is though.

The typical Internet relationship advice for practically any sort of conflict becomes "sever, they're terrible and you deserve better because life is short" and it's not all that different with the pretty consistent player-hating on Yennefer. The irony of someone being "strong" is that they must actually have some weak points still - it pretty much becomes trying too hard otherwise. It humanizes characters for me to make them contradictory in a way. Most bullies are the type that have some deep-seated insecurities that take it out on others, and the discussion of how sorceresses are oftentimes ugly girls that demonstrated gifts is important in the formation of their personalities and worldview. Yen pretty much had a chip on her shoulder and that's nothing to ignore.

Maybe Geralt is the type of man that wants to fix people similar to the stereotypical woman that wants to "fix" a man. His ethical leanings are a bit more sappy than most witchers tend to be anyway.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I have only gotten to Skellige, did the first bit of the main quest. I'm hopelessly romantic and old-fashioned (not to mention getting older) so my Geralt went for Yennefer. Part of my rationale is that Ciri is Yen's adopted daughter and, in Witcher 2, Yen is portrayed as Geralt's long lost love. They had sex on the unicorn half-way through the King Bran's wake. My wife has long dark hair and is named Jennifer so that was a point in Yen's favor. I tend to have the main character romance the dark-haired girl in these types of games, no matter what. (My wife's reaction when I played ME2 was hilarious, "Miranda, are you serious? She's such a bitch.")

I hadn't even encountered Triss yet when Geralt romanced Yen, so when I finally did meet her, Triss knew what happened, I guess, and Geralt admitted to loving Yen and they agreed to remain friends. I haven't progressed beyond that initial quest, going back to Novigrad to work on things more on my level.

I thought both characters were really well done and didn't really have a problem with either of them. They were both interesting and well thought out and added to the story. I generally don't care if the game hero's love interest doesn't have a perfect personality. In my opinion, it's a story. :shrug:

Lastly, I really like the Easter eggs in this game. There are so many of them. The Hamlet reference in the druid's laboratory was hilarious.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

necrobobsledder posted:

I can see this sort of complex "why the hell would you be with her / him?" relationship situation in real life happen all the time and accept it in a drat character story-driven game. Happens all the time with old married couples if you ask me. Given how old both Yennefer and Gerald are, I'm not sure how else the interactions could be given the pretty bitter, miserable lives they lead a lot of the time. I'm not sure how old Triss is though.

The typical Internet relationship advice for practically any sort of conflict becomes "sever, they're terrible and you deserve better because life is short" and it's not all that different with the pretty consistent player-hating on Yennefer. The irony of someone being "strong" is that they must actually have some weak points still - it pretty much becomes trying too hard otherwise. It humanizes characters for me to make them contradictory in a way. Most bullies are the type that have some deep-seated insecurities that take it out on others, and the discussion of how sorceresses are oftentimes ugly girls that demonstrated gifts is important in the formation of their personalities and worldview. Yen pretty much had a chip on her shoulder and that's nothing to ignore.

Maybe Geralt is the type of man that wants to fix people similar to the stereotypical woman that wants to "fix" a man. His ethical leanings are a bit more sappy than most witchers tend to be anyway.

Yeah, I guess seeing what sorceresses do to him, I always thought he'd settle down in some small town with a peasant woman or something- the last thing he'd want is a woman who can literally make him want her, etc. You almost never see that in a video game- heroes marry heroes, especially PCs.

Also you kinda never see lovers have separate lives in video games, which is kind of a healthy thing IRL, but in video games they follow each other like puppies.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Look, if Geralt really had to pick a sorceress, he should have gone with Rita:

quote:

The full list of Margarita Laux-Antille's outstanding mental, spiritual and physical attricutes would consume a mountain of parchment. Rita, as her friends called her, once held the position of rector at the Aretuza Academy for Sorceresses on the Isle of Thanedd - the same school attended by her famous ancestor, Ilona Laux-Antille.

Quite unusually for one of her profession, Margarita showed no interest in politics - it was only care for the good of her school that led her to join the Lodge of Sorceresses.

Finally, her beauty deserves mention as well. It was said that not even the marble likenesses of goddesses and nymphs chiseled out by the greates sculptors could rival this sorceress' figure.

Yet with all her astuteness Laux-Antille still could not escape the same fate that so many of her fellows met. She had been arrested some time before our tale begins and was staying in the Oxenfurt prison, awaiting a summary and pre-determined trial.

Only Geralt and Yennefer's daring jailbreak saved Margarita from certain execution.

She seems nice and I vaguely recall that she tried to teach Ciri magic briefly, but I forget how that went. Ciri didn't stay there long.

Triss is also a conniving schemer and in one of the later books she goes along with the Lodge's plan to backstab Yen and ditch Geralt to take control of Ciri. I don't know the full details because there's only a sketchy fan translation to go by.

Let's not forget this chestnut from W1, where Shani is clearly the better choice:

quote:

If you decide to get [Triss] a ring, it must contain a ruby or a diamond. She will not take any other types. On top of that, you have to behave like a good father, by being strict with Alvin at least once.

:rolleyes: To be fair though, the writing in W1 was, uh, not the best. The videos I'm watching make the dialogue sound a lot shittier then I remember it being, but then I read that the Enhanced Edition actually made it worse?

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYtqc77BKCE creeeeepy

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 5, 2015

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax

Another Person posted:

well, of course it is all down to player choice, but keep in mind geralt was under a spell for most of the game, which might explain why he just lets her actions bounce off of him

Thats rape.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

eXXon posted:

:rolleyes: To be fair though, the writing in W1 was, uh, not the best. The videos I'm watching make the dialogue sound a lot shittier then I remember it being, but then I read that the Enhanced Edition actually made it worse?

Enhanced Edition improved it, the original version was very stripped-down and flavorless. Everything having to do with Triss in the first game was still weird as hell, though.

Yen sometimes comes off as keeping an iron grip around Geralt's throat, but given that Geralt is a vagabond monster-killer who tends to jump into other women's beds like his dick's been magnetized to goose down, this might make her the best match for him. His relationships with both Triss and Yen are built on false premises - Triss exploited his amnesia and Yen's got the whole djinn thing - and to both women's credit, they recognize this and try to do something about it, at least. Triss severs and wants to stay friends, and Yen goes to punch a genie until it un-wishes the wish.

I've wanted to get some face time with Francesca Findabair, personally. Dol Blathanna is one of the few major regions of the Witcher that the games never explored.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Goon relationship advice itt.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Not even a genie could overcome my distaste for that high-fantasy spelling of Jennifer. That is on par with a war crime and those who think differently should be yailed.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Subterfrugal posted:

Not even a genie could overcome my distaste for that high-fantasy spelling of Jennifer. That is on par with a war crime and those who think differently should be yailed.

Quit being so yudgemental.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Turds in magma posted:

I can totally understand why virgin basement trolls wouldn't be comfortable with a woman who has enough power to take care of herself and who makes her own decisions.

I also can see why they would trip over themselves to put themselves at the whims of manipulative women. Like, all the women in this game who play Geralt like a mandolin, or simply use him to further their agendas.

Stupid virgin basement trolls who don't know an unhealthy relationship when it's sending him on fetch quests :rolleye:

Are there any mods that I can use to cheat my gold level? I'm tired of not having All The Gwent Cards.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The best Yen related thing is from the novels when Geralt writes to her to help him with Ciri. But they broke off their relationship a while so Geralt doesn't know how to address her. He decides on "My friend".
Then later he gets the most passive aggressive letter imaginable from her and its absolutely hilarious.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I also can see why they would trip over themselves to put themselves at the whims of manipulative women. Like, all the women in this game who play Geralt like a mandolin, or simply use him to further their agendas.

Stupid virgin basement trolls who don't know an unhealthy relationship when it's sending him on fetch quests :rolleye:

Whereas Geralt is merely using the women in this game to further his agenda of getting his dick wet. Far more noble.

He seemed peeved when he realised Keira, in addition to wanting to ride the White Wolf, also wanted him to do some stuff he's trained to do and at which he makes his living. I was like get a grip brother, you don't get to be mad about someone that hot wanting casual sex with you and maybe also a small favour.

Conversely, how anybody can take the line that Yennefer is just an independent and assertive woman that nerdlings can't stand the idea of is beyond me. She's a gigantic rear end in a top hat. That's 100% clear and very much not virginal gamers reading a strong woman as threatening. She is grade-A fuckhead from tip to toe and completely by design.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 5, 2015

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
They should have either Yen or Triss play gwent, so that you could use that as a tiebreaker if you were torn between the two.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

CVagts posted:

They should have either Yen or Triss play gwent, so that you could use that as a tiebreaker if you were torn between the two.

Yen's card is slightly more useful, she's still terrible though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CVagts posted:

If Gwent had been the deciding factor on who gets to be with Geralt, my ending would've been the "Geralt dies alone" ending for sure cause fuuuuck that poo poo

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Subterfrugal posted:

Yen's card is slightly more useful, she's still terrible though.

Slightly? It is a medic card, it is a hell of a lot more useful! Triss is the weakest hero card in the game.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I think you misunderstood. I was saying that either Yen or Triss should actually PLAY gwent, like be the real endgame in the "play the important NPCs in gwent" sidequest. That way if you like gwent you could pick her, and if you don't like gwent you can pick the other girl.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Whereas Geralt is merely using the women in this game to further his agenda of getting his dick wet. Far more noble.

Pretty hard to argue this when sex in this game takes a far, far backseat when compared to the first two. I also find it hard to buy Geralt using women as he's sent on fetch quests 100% of the time by them, and they are constantly enlisting his help. Triss, Kiera, and Yen do it. Constantly. Without stop. Yes it's necessary to advance the plot, but there is never even the hint of sex at the end of a quest line.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

He seemed peeved when he realised Keira, in addition to wanting to ride the White Wolf, also wanted him to do some stuff he's trained to do and at which he makes his living. I was like get a grip brother, you don't get to be mad about someone that hot wanting casual sex with you and maybe also a small favour.

He's trained, sure, but he's not a simple hooligan who mucks around in sewers for free. Witchers never work for free and Kiera wastes Geralts time by stringing him along and clearing her paths, for free, so she can get a lamp to find some ghosts to give her secrets so she can ultimately live a life of spoilt luxury. Geralt got duped into doing witchers work for free and that is kinda lovely. Keira knew she was using him from the word Go.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Conversely, how anybody can take the line that Yennefer is just an independent and assertive woman that nerdlings can't stand the idea of is beyond me. She's a gigantic rear end in a top hat. That's 100% clear and very much not virginal gamers reading a strong woman as threatening. She is grade-A fuckhead from tip to toe and completely by design.

Yea she is pretty insufferable. Especially when knowing Geralt *hates* portals, she throws him into one during one of her temper tantrums. While that was kinda funny, a part of me hated her for doing it.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Again, Yen treats you like poo poo if you are snippy with her / acting like a dick yourself. Maybe that is why goons don't like her? SHE GETS MAD AT ME WHEN I YELL AT HER

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
So about those gold cheats/mods?

Kaedric posted:

Again, Yen treats you like poo poo if you are snippy with her / acting like a dick yourself. Maybe that is why goons don't like her? SHE GETS MAD AT ME WHEN I YELL AT HER

Geralt never raises his voice in the game. It's almost like he's a mutant, and Yen knows this, yet doesn't alter how she deals with Geralt. Despite having decades of history with him.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

radiatinglines posted:

Yen is mean to peasants when she doesn't have to be, then makes excuses for it. That's lame. I didn't buy her remorse for treating Sven's ghost like poo poo for a second, and I also didn't believe her " that's not Sven" line.

Whenever I'm with Yen in this game I feel like I'm sitting at a table next to someone bitching to a server that the restaurant is too loud when they have a headache. I don't see why anyone would put up with a person like that, but it takes all kinds I guess. Strong women do exist that are mature enough not to be rude even when they're stressed. I posit that the people who defend Yen are the true nerds, and wish good luck to them in their future relationships while I enjoy mine with someone who isn't rude.
And I don't get why people project their real life situations on video games. If you have to look for the biggest nerd loser then it's definitely the guy thinking that going after Triss or Yen in a game tells something about the player's real life, it's hilarious.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kaedric posted:

At the beginning of the game, she's also already starting to try to push back against the Djinn's wish and keep things muted. At least, that's how I read a few of her lines. She's already planning on possibly (sort of) breaking up with Geralt so she's a lot more reserved.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

So about those gold cheats/mods?

Geralt never raises his voice in the game. It's almost like he's a mutant, and Yen knows this, yet doesn't alter how she deals with Geralt. Despite having decades of history with him.

If you got portal dumped into a lake you were being a goon who just wouldn't let some poo poo go because 'I'm right goddamnit you will feel like I tell you to feel!'

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lol at people not liking Yen for being sassy but forget the fact the relationship with Triss is solely based on taking advantage of him when he lost his memory.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Yennifer is an awful person, that's kind of the point. She cares about 3 things: herself, Geralt and Ciri. It's more than sassy - she's super powerful, knows it, and tells everyone that can't actually threaten her to gently caress off. (Emhyr is probably the only person in the setting she's scared of at this point)

I do think she works better in the books than the games. If you are choosing Geralt's responses humoring her makes less sense when you can kill dozens of guys single handedly without a scratch. Geralt's not nearly as much of a killing machine in the books. And their relationship is the pulpy, swashbuckling fiery-desire type of thing.

I think having Triss take advantage of Geralt's amnesia added a lot to her character, myself.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Palpek posted:

And I don't get why people project their real life situations on video games. If you have to look for the biggest nerd loser then it's definitely the guy thinking that going after Triss or Yen in a game tells something about the player's real life, it's hilarious.

Yes, I am and always have been aware that we are arguing about dialogue options in a video game. If you read the thread you'll see several posters saying that anyone who doesn't like Yen in the game must have some kind of "complex" or "hangups" in real life, that is what I was responding to. In other words, they started it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Subterfrugal posted:

I kept waiting for her to be all "Geralt....I know it's awkward to bring this up now, but christ, we're not in mexico, it's pronounced 'jennifer'."

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I kept waiting for her to be all "Geralt....I know it's awkward to bring this up now, but christ, we're not in mexico, it's pronounced 'jennifer'."

Is it high fantasy? I kind of assumed it was a Polish thing.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

UGH, spelling Gerald with a loving T? Get over yourselves CDProjekt.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

you should all be ashamed of yourself for the last however many pages this has been going on

i think one of my favorite things about this game is that when you do a level 10 quest, if there's an equipment reward, it will most likely have a level req of 10. one of the dumbest things about dragon age was doing level 15 quests and getting rewards with a req level of 8 or some poo poo.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

cams posted:

you should all be ashamed of yourself for the last however many pages this has been going on

i think one of my favorite things about this game is that when you do a level 10 quest, if there's an equipment reward, it will most likely have a level req of 10. one of the dumbest things about dragon age was doing level 15 quests and getting rewards with a req level of 8 or some poo poo.

The quest rewards are kinda poo poo thought compared to the gear you usually already have. I'd rather get more money or rare crafting items. Some of the unique swords look kinda cool though.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Romes128 posted:

Lol at people not liking Yen for being sassy but forget the fact the relationship with Triss is solely based on taking advantage of him when he lost his memory.

I fell squarely into the camp of liking Triss more, until earlier in this thread someone pointed out this exact plot point. EVERYTHING Triss does is actually super manipulative, but it's so subtle that it feels like genuine affection. It REALLY changed my perspective of Triss. Someone earlier pointed out that in The Witcher 2, the Rose of Remembrance is used by Philippa to control Saskia. Triss was given a rose by Geralt - what exactly did she plan to do with it?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

l33t b4c0n posted:

I fell squarely into the camp of liking Triss more, until earlier in this thread someone pointed out this exact plot point. EVERYTHING Triss does is actually super manipulative, but it's so subtle that it feels like genuine affection. It REALLY changed my perspective of Triss. Someone earlier pointed out that in The Witcher 2, the Rose of Remembrance is used by Philippa to control Saskia. Triss was given a rose by Geralt - what exactly did she plan to do with it?

It "feels like genuine affection" because that isn't feigned. She really does love Geralt, as seen in the novels.
Like, I agree with the manipulation stuff but it's disingenious to say she's just pretending to love him.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My main problem with Yen is that we're expected to adore him the same way Geralt does despite the fact she only appears in the third game after we've already gotten to know everyone else. Yeah you could read the books but I don't think it's particularly fair expecting players to go archive binge on something that's been otherwise unneeded to get a grasp on character relations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
She's manipulating him because she's super in love with him, not because she's omg evil.