Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Mortvert posted:

Does any of you have any idea if you can craft endless bags of non-normal ammo like silver musket balls? I can't find any info on the wiki and I'm not keen on burning throught majority of my current resources just to see if thing like that exist.

Not that i've seen so far. Probably the devs intended for you to get infinite basic ammo only. Any advanced ammo gets used up. If it's an issue of cost, party rounds are cheaper than musket balls, do decent damage and have good velocity, plus they poo poo rainbow confetti all over the place so it looks like your target got wrecked by a pride parade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Making progress but it's still kinda slow going cause I have so much adventuring to do as part of collecting materials. I don't even have a hook yet so I can't get much fancier.

You don't need a hook now, just 15 gems of same type to make a simple 1-arm grapple now.

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Gimbal lock posted:

The leaf wall is 100% player placed, unfortunately. I'm beginning to suspect that it's entirely because of a strange room that I've built at the base of the tree is interfering somehow. I'll try building the room on the west side of the trunk.

According to the wiki, living leaf walls don't count as valid walls, no matter who makes them.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Mortvert posted:

You don't need a hook now, just 15 gems of same type to make a simple 1-arm grapple now.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, I don't have any kind of grappling hook at all. I'm moving around with the climbing claws lol.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Crimson Harvest posted:

Making progress but it's still kinda slow going cause I have so much adventuring to do as part of collecting materials. I don't even have a hook yet so I can't get much fancier.

How avant garde. Whats your map size and difficulty?

Just wondering, since I stopped messing around with expert, what is the smartest fast track to deal with the difficulty in that game if you start out fresh in an expert map?

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 5, 2015

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Crimson Harvest posted:

Yeah that's what I'm saying, I don't have any kind of grappling hook at all. I'm moving around with the climbing claws lol.

I forgot on this run that you can get hooks from piranhas now. Mess about in the jungle for a few minutes (even the surface probably has a bunch of them) and you'll pick up a hook easily. It's way faster than waiting for skeletons to drop them half a map below the surface.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

dabre_aiamim posted:

According to the wiki, living leaf walls don't count as valid walls, no matter who makes them.

This is correct. Retarded, and correct.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

How avant garde. Whats your map size and difficulty?

Just wondering, since I stopped messing around with expert, what is the smartest fast track to deal with the difficulty in that game if you start out fresh in an expert map?

I haven't messed with expert at all since I am not an expert, but from what I hear the answer to your question is: fishing.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

dabre_aiamim posted:

So that's the catch, huh? That's a drat shame. Thanks for the help!
I'm thinking of making a new map anyway since I'm currently established in a large world. I like the overworld's size and expansiveness of the large worlds but the underground is too sparse. The decision came after running out of good space on a small map back in 1.2.4. It's still pretty early anyway since I haven't even beaten the eye in this map yet.
For posterity, this is what my soon-to-be-abandoned village looks like. the buildings are inspired by the design of the baobab buildings that a goon posted earlier in the thread.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Instead of living leaf walls, use the one sold by the dryad.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Man I can't commit to a new main base because I can't decide which furniture theme to go with.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

pon alien posted:

Man I can't commit to a new main base because I can't decide which furniture theme to go with.

Martian blocks looks super cool, got some great furniture and it's a little glowy.

I'm having fun* fighting the Moon Lord in expert mode, 500 of each tower fragment and no gravity globe.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Is there always an enchanted sword somewhere on the map?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Man, as fun as this is over starbound at times I cannot believe these assholes still do not make autoswing a default function. Is there an easy way to edit the game to make everything autoswing or is the OP's AHK script the most :effort: way to do it effectively?

Fishing is awesome as gently caress too. A couple hours in to a game with friends I managed to fish up the shark pick with 100% pick strength, using a lead rod and some 20-25% strength bait, while we still had copper/lead armor and a couple tungsten picks. Went and broke 2 crimson orbs for more weapons afterwards because this pick is awesome as hell and also does 16 damage so it's my main melee weapon too in normal difficulty.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Evil Fluffy posted:

Man, as fun as this is over starbound at times I cannot believe these assholes still do not make autoswing a default function. Is there an easy way to edit the game to make everything autoswing or is the OP's AHK script the most :effort: way to do it effectively?

Fishing is awesome as gently caress too. A couple hours in to a game with friends I managed to fish up the shark pick with 100% pick strength, using a lead rod and some 20-25% strength bait, while we still had copper/lead armor and a couple tungsten picks. Went and broke 2 crimson orbs for more weapons afterwards because this pick is awesome as hell and also does 16 damage so it's my main melee weapon too in normal difficulty.

Autoswing is in the game, but only for some swords. Things like picks and hammers always have autoswing, though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think since 1.3 all the post-Hardmode swords have autoswing now. Or something to that effect.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I know the True Excalibur doesn't, but the only reason you should have one is so you can craft the Terra Blade, which has autoswing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

About Swords, so I just crafted my first Night's Edge, problem is it doesn't do crap damage compared to my YoYo and Flail considering they multihit what am I missing here do swords just suck?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Swords are defensive. Use em to swat down projectiles and take out weak fast moving flyers like bats. They're also good against segmented things like worms.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
gently caress, swords, that's right.
Do yoyos ever stop being loving amazing? I got a godly one of some sort about 20 hours ago, and other than a mini-shark now and again it's all I've used.

Do they remain viable later on?? (I've only done the first boss so far this patch)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the arbitrary distinction between some swords having autoswing and others not having it is one of the dumbest things the game does and letting everything attack as long as you hold down the mouse button wouldn't magically break the difficulty of the game.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Yoyos are amazing all the way to the final boss. Especially if you craft the Yoyo bag which takes them from "crazy good" to "AHAHAHAHAHA".

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gonna play through this game again with a couple buddies due to the new update. Now that it's been live for a little while, what's the verdict on expert mode? We're interested in some of the new features it brings, but if the extra difficulty just feels like dumb bullshit where that isn't worth doing then maybe we'll pass.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vargs posted:

Gonna play through this game again with a couple buddies due to the new update. Now that it's been live for a little while, what's the verdict on expert mode? We're interested in some of the new features it brings, but if the extra difficulty just feels like dumb bullshit where that isn't worth doing then maybe we'll pass.

Do you like everything having double hp, double damage, and new attack patterns that are really annoying to dodge?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I can't speak for other bosses, but Expert Eye of Cthulu was actually really fun.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Play Expert if you want to think hard about defensible base design, make cool and pimped-out boss arenas, die screaming a lot, bash your face against bullshit hard enemies and bosses until you're standing atop a mountain of assorted monster bits and powerful artifacts with a broken, bloody smile on your face.

Play Normal if you want to do all that, but would rather concentrate on talking about the latest episode of My Little Pony and exchanging tips on being a big dumb baby.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Elth posted:

Play Expert if your a masochistic idiot who likes taking 5 hours a day out of your man-diapers to whine about 'cashulz' who are 'ruinin ma vijogaems'.

Play Normal if you're playing alone.
Play Expert with Friends.

ftfy

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

*rams fingers repeatedly in a door* Can't You See That I'm The True Winner Here

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I would play expert except I don't like designing and building an Engineer's wet dream to beat a boss.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Play normal if: You're playing solo or playing with only one other person; you haven't played the game through up to Golem previously; you don't feel like checking the wiki frequently to see what armor/weapons are available to you at arbitrary points of the game; you don't want to have to worry about potions; you are not the sort of person who min/maxes in games.

Play expert if: You're in multiplayer with probably at least two other people, are a masochist, are the sort of person who is playing a game and constantly looking for methods to break it over your knee, and/or want your balls crushed in a vise.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is there a 'rotate item' button I don't know about? I'd like my loom to face a different direction.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I gotta say, the best thing about 1.3 is the screenshot utility. Don't have to spend hour nailing individual screenshots together now.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 5, 2015

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Vargs posted:

Gonna play through this game again with a couple buddies

:colbert:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

King Doom posted:

I gotta say, the best thing about 1.3 is the screenshot utility. Don't have to spend hour nailing individual screenshots together now.

you're missing a mushroom biome :colbert:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Then nothing I said was wrong, now was it?
:colbert:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Huh.

When did they change the Avenger Emblem recipe from "grind Wall of Flesh FOREVER" to "Grind Wall of Flesh and the Mecha bosses for a bit"?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

RareAcumen posted:

Is there a 'rotate item' button I don't know about? I'd like my loom to face a different direction.

If the item is able to face different directions, it's based off the direction you're facing when you place it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Bee armor is hilarious but it's getting really weak and we just started hard mode. What's the next armor we should be looking for to raise the number of minions?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

King Doom posted:

So when are you gonna replace all that grey brick with tin plating so its a proper battleship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

Bee armor is hilarious but it's getting really weak and we just started hard mode. What's the next armor we should be looking for to raise the number of minions?
I'd like to say Tiki, but I've never run Summoning armor, so I dunno.