Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is it just me, or has SJW become nerdspeak for "someone who thinks women, homosexuals and nonwhite people deserve as much respect as you do"? People say that there are extremists calling for the deaths of all anyone with a dick, but I've never seen them, just Gamergaters and MRAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

"SJW" is is a signpost for lovely opinions. It's basically just another US conservative-style barely coded bigoted insult along the lines of "liberal elites" or "urban thugs" or "hysterical women."

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I am really appreciating the SJW to skeleton plugin right now.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

CommissarMega posted:

Is it just me, or has SJW become nerdspeak for "someone who thinks women, homosexuals and nonwhite people deserve as much respect as you do"? People say that there are extremists calling for the deaths of all anyone with a dick, but I've never seen them, just Gamergaters and MRAs.

"Become"? It's pretty much always been that. It's just getting more obvious.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

CommissarMega posted:

They exist, there's just like, five, and it's ambiguous whether or not they're real or people trolling. That solitary screencap that discredits the entire feminist movement came from somewhere.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Deleter posted:

I used to use it but the anti-skeleton sentiments became too much to handle.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
The main difference between the loonies on the gamergate/MRA/FPH side and the loonies on the feminist/anti-racist/social justice side is that the they're on the fringe of the latter. The base of MRAs take people like Paul Elam or Dean Esmay seriously. A crap ton of gamergaters take Owen and Aurini seriously. Not many feminists take "all men are evil and wicked" rants seriously. Most anti-racists don't take "white people are the cause of all problems and People of Color are saintly angels" seriously.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

JackMann posted:

The main difference between the loonies on the gamergate/MRA/FPH side and the loonies on the feminist/anti-racist/social justice side is that the they're on the fringe of the latter. The base of MRAs take people like Paul Elam or Dean Esmay seriously. A crap ton of gamergaters take Owen and Aurini seriously. Not many feminists take "all men are evil and wicked" rants seriously. Most anti-racists don't take "white people are the cause of all problems and People of Color are saintly angels" seriously.

You worked out the thing I was trying to say better than I said it, thanks.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

spectralent posted:

They exist, there's just like, five, and it's ambiguous whether or not they're real or people trolling. That solitary screencap that discredits the entire feminist movement came from somewhere.

Oh, what, like this? https://witchwind.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/piv-is-always-rape-ok/

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hemlock;6657549 posted:

If the essence of being a fighter is "being a trained combatant" as you say, then there are no non-combat related bits. That's like asking about the non-magic-related aspects of being a trained wizard. At most you're talking about skill proficiencies, but fundamentally the non-magic-related aspects of being e.g. Mercury Boltblaster don't originate in his being a wizard at all--he has non-magic-related aspects like crazy hand-to-hand combat skills and a close relationship with the Queen of Raelna, but those things originated in his background and martial arts training, not from his training as a wizard.

But what really makes the idea of expendable nonmagical resources (what you call "declarative") an abomination to many people is that Vancian mundane activity is fundamentally incoherent. Let's pick a mundane activity and pretend that it's a fighter thing. Say, spotting when someone is lying. "Liar's Scent: you can tell when someone is lying to you." In what universe would it ever make any kind of sense to say "By concentrating briefly, you can tell when someone is lying to you, once per day?" What, I lose my training at detecting hinky behavior just because I talked to a different hinky guy in the market earlier today?

Vancian mundane abilities just make no sense. 5E has a few of them (like Lucky, which is kind of like being proficient in every skill). Fortunately it doesn't have a lot.

Hope that answers your question. Although it wasn't really a question, was it? It was just a verbalization of a wistful emotion which is not widely-shared, and for your sake I'm sorry about that.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
That guy makes a good point about character classes and Vancian magic being dumb, he has convinced me that D&D should move away from those.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

spectralent posted:

That kind of stuff isn't really feminism though. It's hate speech. Feminism is about equality, not segregation.

CommissarMega posted:

More and more, the type of people who use SJW as an insult are the types that believe that freedom of speech only applies to themselves, and that this also means a right to a platform.

Gizmoduck_5000 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 4, 2015

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
SJW is basically this decade's replacement for "politically correct", right down to the rule that anyone using it unironically can be safely and reliably ignored.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It's hard finding a sensible middle ground nowadays.
It's hard and nobody understands.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

CommissarMega posted:

FMguru posted:

SJW is basically this decade's replacement for "politically correct", right down to the rule that anyone using it unironically can be safely and reliably ignored.
It's actually a straight-across comparison to "Cultural Marxist." As an insult, SJW lumps everybody who isn't right-wing in with teenagers who claim they have a werewolf soul and multiple personalities that are anime characters. "Cultural Marxist" was meant to label people who want freedom of speech and labor unions as mentally disturbed radicals who wants to demolish civilization as we know it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

Vancian mundane abilities just make no sense

At this point I'd consider D&D's attempt to diegetically explain Vancian magic to have been a huge, lovely red herring because it then makes everyone question the in-game reasoning behind any other ability.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CommissarMega posted:

I remember the early days when it meant things like that lady who claimed that expecting her to be responsible for anything was impossible because she's spiritually a cat. Otherkin, fictive headmates, poo poo like that, and they believed it was a matter on the same level of import as racism that they be allowed to express their inner cat/homestuck character/whatever.

It's made me terribly sad to see it morph into the latest dogwhistle, but also in a way glad because anyone who uses it in 2015 is invariably spouting something bigoted so they make themselves easy to spot.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I just use it in reference to the absolutely insane tumblrites

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FireSight posted:

I just use it in reference to the absolutely insane tumblrites

Those are tumblrinas.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I tend to give SJWs (yes, there are people that have adopted the term themselves) a bit more leeway because I can agree with their objectives if not their methods.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

It never stops to amaze me that "Social Justice Warrior" is actually used as an insult, even if it's a pretty dumb-sounding phrase. Like, haha, take a look at this nerd, caring about social equality! What a terrible person!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Halloween Jack posted:

"Cultural Marxist" was meant to label people who want freedom of speech and labor unions as mentally disturbed radicals who wants to demolish civilization as we know it.

Also a straight up anti-Semitic conspiracy theory! :jewish:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I posted this in the MTG thread but I think it's a good point so I'll repeat it here, but a lot of the goofy skeleton warrior stuff idiot assholes rage about is kids trying to figure poo poo out.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Darwinism posted:

It never stops to amaze me that "Social Justice Warrior" is actually used as an insult, even if it's a pretty dumb-sounding phrase. Like, haha, take a look at this nerd, caring about social equality! What a terrible person!

I think the insult is supposed to be the "warrior" part, because of how confrontational they get with people they disapprove of. But since people they disapprove of are, in my experience, mostly mysoginistics or racists, I am always somewhat taken aback when people curse Tumblr. Maybe I am just lucky enough to never get into the really crazy parts.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Lightning Lord posted:

I posted this in the MTG thread but I think it's a good point so I'll repeat it here, but a lot of the goofy skeleton warrior stuff idiot assholes rage about is kids trying to figure poo poo out.

Yeah, an absolutely massive amount of those oh so hated aforementioned "tumblrites" are underaged. They're filled to the brim with passion and a desire to do and be something, and have no idea where to put it all. Their heart may be in the right place but like most teenagers they're clumsy and a more then a little ignorant about what to do with it all. They just know they gotta do SOMETHING. That's what being a teen is - everything burns hot.

Which makes the snorting commentary about the "tumblrites" or "tumblrinas" all the creepier. Especially that last one, because what, heaven forbid we not also make it a gender based slur? But like, yeah man, way to lay down those sick burns on 16 year olds.

EDIT: Also, and it's especially viewable here in SA, there's a ton of overlap between this and the hilariously sad try hards who get all snippy whenever anyone cares about anything. "Oh, you actually pay attention to the game? You actually notice writing? You actually care about the characters? Pfffffffff ok whatever tumblrina." It's always been the most old man behavior possible, except they're in their like 30's and have been doing this since the 90's.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 4, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Interestingly, the place where I personally found the loudest objections against Tumblr is ADTRW.
E: but to be fair that was the chat thread and they were using the word "normie" unironically, so

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 4, 2015

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Libertad! posted:

What about the anti-capitalist themes and Japanese Imperial colonialism in Shadowrun?

SR hasn't been about anti-capitlaism, just "how do get my share of the blood money" since 4th ed, at least. The chapter fic in the newest book has the protags literally stealing babies for money.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Ronwayne posted:

SR hasn't been about anti-capitlaism, just "how do get my share of the blood money" since 4th ed, at least. The chapter fic in the newest book has the protags literally stealing babies for money.

Shitbag protagonists like that are part and parcel of the criticism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ronwayne posted:

I don't think Baby vs. Dragon is going to take off as an attraction, brother.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Lightning Lord posted:

Shitbag protagonists like that are part and parcel of the criticism.

Eh, the whole mercenary rockstar thing of the mid-late 2000's kinda put the final nails into any sort of any anti-systematic rhetoric. It ties into how difficult it is to have an anti-global capitalist message and not be a massive hypocrite/D&D (not the elf game, the other one) escapee. Embrace the inner murder-hobo and face to bloodshed.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Deleter posted:

I love that, but haven't installed it. I have a deep urge to write long screeds complaining about skeletons, though, just to mess with people. :j:

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Nessus posted:

I don't think Baby vs. Dragon is going to take off as an attraction, brother.

Thank you for reminding me White Wolf literally made BvD a thing (Baby vs Dog- both ghouls)

dwarf74 posted:

I love that, but haven't installed it. I have a deep urge to write long screeds complaining about skeletons, though, just to mess with people. :j:

Of course its a dwarf being racist against skeletons. We were in those deep tunnels first, rear end in a top hat. Hiding in barrels. Minding our own business.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

For all it's many, many flaws, the new Warhammer Fantasy edition/overhaul/thing, added a third undead faction: Skeletons. This is not a joke or a SA meme thing. It's just "Skeletons."

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Otisburg posted:

For all it's many, many flaws, the new Warhammer Fantasy edition/overhaul/thing, added a third undead faction: Skeletons. This is not a joke or a SA meme thing. It's just "Skeletons."

I thought it was deathrattlers because you can't trademark a skeleton

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

deathrattle is a hearthstone ability, blizzard should sue them

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheTatteredKing posted:

deathrattle is a hearthstone ability, blizzard should sue them

Lol it isn't the first time GW stole from blizzard

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So they think that D&D is inherently a combat game and not a storytelling toolbox. Their should be a combat encounter every session or you aren't playing D&D. "If you're investigating an entire session you're playing the wrong game."

"I get it, you can homebrew and make a bunch of houserules to modify the system to the story they're trying to tell, but they aren't playing D&D. There are five other systems that do what you're doing easier and better."

I'd love to read a discussion around this idea. Personally I disagree. I think D&D is a storytelling toolkit with combat, not a combat game.

"Some kind of conflict should happen every session."

"Look at the book, what percentage of the book is about combat? That's the same ratio that should inform gameplay."

Is it just a dungeon crawling system?

quote:

quote:

D&D is a combat game.
My reaction when people say things like that is uncontrollable hideous laughter. D&D is too deadly to be a combat game. "Enjoy rolling up your fourth character for the session if you keep picking fights."

quote:

D&D is a story game.
My reaction to that assertion is more silent, head-shaking pity. No, no it isn't, but there's really no saving people who've bought into such fallacious nonsense.

quote:

If you're investigating an entire session, you're playing the wrong game.
D&D is a game about, first and foremost, exploration. Investigation is a part of that. If, by investigation, you mean only the narrow sense of interviewing NPCs, searching fantasy cities for clues, playing "CSI: Waterdeep"... yeah, okay, that's kind of weird. But in the broad sense, "investigation" can also mean striking out into the unknown wilderness or poking every 10' section dungeon-wall with a stick. That's D&D. There's nothing more D&D than searching (mainly searching for treasure).

quote:

My northern pirates game has had sessions with literally nothing but RP. I don't often like to say that people are plain wrong, but your friends are just plain wrong.

quote:

Whenever someone tries to tell me what D&D is about, I am always amazed how limiting their description is. The only time D&D needs to be defined is by those who lack imagination to leave it boundless.

quote:

It's make believe, it's whatever you want.

quote:

They are simply wrong.
There are books and things which discuss and give advice about roleplaying, but they are not books of rules for how to roleplay. That's because roleplay, very literally, cannot even theoretically give rise to a conflict that needs rules for how to resolve it -- except for combat. And guess what the rules actually do cover?
If it's not combat, you're just talking and interacting and engaging in politics.
So, no. They're just wrong. There are no rules for non-combat gameplay in D&D: you wouldn't need or want them even if it were possible to create rules for such things.

Edit:

quote:

quote:

in D&D you get experience and treasure for killing monsters
That is 100% determined by your DM. However, I agree that there are systems that do much better at non-combat mechanics.
The whole "well your DM could make it work differently" argument isn't really valid from the perspective of what the game looks like when someone just runs it as-is, because 1. you're expected to be able to do that, and 2. any newcomer to the hobby isn't going to know any better, so analysis of the game has to derive from what's in the book, rather than "what the DM might replace the book with after he's picked up a bunch of experience running RPGs"

quote:

The very first time I played D&D there were homebrew rules. Basically, the rules focus on providing mechanics for combat. That doesn't mean the game has to focus on or reward only combat-oriented play.
The rules and the game are not the same thing. It is fair to say that D&D rules focus on combat. That does not mean a D&D game is 'first and foremost' about combat. It just means that's the part the game designers provided DMs the most support.
And the fact that the game designers provided the DMs a lot of support for running combat has no bearing on how much combat there should be in the game?

I mean, I can understand a scenario where a whole session, or even multiple sessions go by without combat simply because the players aren't going in that particular direction yet, but if you knew right off the bat you were going to play a game where you weren't expecting or wanting a lot of detailed combat, why would you choose D&D?

quote:

To quote some philosophy class I took 'is does not imply should.'

So no, the quantity of support, tools, and rules that are combat-oriented has no bearing on how much combat should be in the game. The amount of combat in the game should be whatever amount is the most fun for the particular group playing.

Edit: sorry, to your last question - familiarity in most cases. D&D is the most marketed and well-known system. If you want to jump into trpg, D&D is probably the system you've heard of. Many players do branch out after that. But buying rule books gets to be a burden for players if you keep switching systems to find the 'perfect' one.
Which circles us back to: as a newcomer to the hobby, if I read through the PHB and the DMG cover to cover, and I pick up on the creation of a villain, the defense of a kingdom, the random generation of a dungeon and wilderness encounters with wandering monsters, I'm going to have a fair amount of combat in my game as a matter of course.

Heck, if I buy the starter set and run Lost Mine of Phandelver, I'm going to end up in combat with goblins within the first 5 minutes of starting the game proper.

And as much as I agree with you that people are probably going to get D&D as their first TRPG and then will refine the amount of combat in their games, or even look at different games altogether after they've developed their "taste", that still means I ended up with a combat-focused game my first time through because that's just how D&D was written, even if I decide that I want something else and hack D&D to have less, or go to Call of Cthulhu afterwards.

quote:

If someone is DMing as their first experience with trpgs and they use D&D then I agree with you. I am curious what % of trpgers DM their first time.

As for modules being combat oriented - yep. But that's a module or compaign. Those are basically railroads. Defeating villains while defending a kingdom does not require players to fight - there are other types of conflict and ways of resolving them. Random encounters with monsters is very close to forcing combat, though I have had players find alternative solutions to that occasionally.

So I disagree that it's a 'matter of course.' Certainly it's biased toward combat because that what tools it primarily provides, but I don't think the % of the rules about resolving a particular kind of combat dictates the nature of the game played.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 5, 2015

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

That second last one is just incredible. Literally every edition of D&D has had at least some rules to govern social interaction.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If it's not a combat game and not a story game, what the actual gently caress IS it? Exploration, seriously. D&D, a game wherein, depending on edition, between half and 90% of the rule book is about combat and most of the rest is about social interaction and personal skills... is not a combat game nor a social skills game nor a storytelling game, but an exploration game.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhht.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

thespaceinvader posted:

If it's not a combat game and not a story game, what the actual gently caress IS it? Exploration, seriously. D&D, a game wherein, depending on edition, between half and 90% of the rule book is about combat and most of the rest is about social interaction and personal skills... is not a combat game nor a social skills game nor a storytelling game, but an exploration game.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhht.
This was significantly more the case in the early stuff at least, where mapping, complex cave structures, and so on were big. It got de-emphasized in 2E and seems entirely vestigal in 3E onwards, though obviously the context of the game allows you to do it if you want.

• Locked thread