Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I got into an invasion match in Gems of War and the enemy team didn't spawn its units, so as soon as I matched skulls I won. It was super cool cause they were twice my level so I got like three promotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

coyo7e posted:

you'd come back and everyone's dead, irradiated, on fire, radroaches all over, etc.

Seems accurate.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Hey dudes, what's the best way to go for a controller for my Nexus 6/Galaxy Tab S 10.5? I have a USB OTG cable but wireless is probably better, idk

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Hot drat, Blek is a fantastic and devious puzzle game. Thank you so much for the recommendation earlier. Absolutely worth $1.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cakefool posted:

Seems accurate.
For anyone who's (still, like me) interested and wanting to check out the fallout shelter game, the "talk" I'm referring to was on Idle Thumbs Podcast a week or three ago, between two episodes. I can't recall who had been playing it, and then they came back a week later and talked about how they'd found a support site post talking about the hosed up frequency of encounters and stuff (which, to be fair, is kinda true to the fallout franchise if you remember the first 1 or 2).

They probably talked about it in the show notes.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Fallout Shelter is pretty fun, I've had a few crashes and a glitch where some women are staying pregnant forever but it's a fun diversion. I never saw any glitches with resources but it does keep simulating for a while after you close it so if you're super low on food and water people could start dying. And it doesn't require purchasing of lunchboxes at all, collecting stuff is the whole point of the game so if you pay to "win" then there's nothing left to play the game for.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

coyo7e posted:

For anyone who's (still, like me) interested and wanting to check out the fallout shelter game, the "talk" I'm referring to was on Idle Thumbs Podcast a week or three ago, between two episodes. I can't recall who had been playing it, and then they came back a week later and talked about how they'd found a support site post talking about the hosed up frequency of encounters and stuff (which, to be fair, is kinda true to the fallout franchise if you remember the first 1 or 2).

They probably talked about it in the show notes.

Any word on when it's going to be available for Android?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
August.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Aside from the fact that it's Fallout themed the game itself is boring as poo poo, but if you're into that kind of thing you'll probably enjoy it for a while.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

psylent posted:

Aside from the fact that it's Fallout themed the game itself is boring as poo poo, but if you're into that kind of thing you'll probably enjoy it for a while.

Considering the number of people here who ate up Tiny Tower and Tiny Death Star and Tiny Tower Vegas, I'm sure there are plenty of goons excited at the prospect of another game with no gameplay where nothing happens. As long as it has timers I can check every few hours. :v:

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

BobTheJanitor posted:

Considering the number of people here who ate up Tiny Tower and Tiny Death Star and Tiny Tower Vegas, I'm sure there are plenty of goons excited at the prospect of another game with no gameplay where nothing happens. As long as it has timers I can check every few hours. :v:

I'm really looking forward to this. I played a poo poo ton of Pocket Knights which is PAD without the match three part and way greedier so I have a high tolerance for bullshit.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.

Digital Jesus posted:

Hey dudes, what's the best way to go for a controller for my Nexus 6/Galaxy Tab S 10.5? I have a USB OTG cable but wireless is probably better, idk
I've tried a couple of different Android Bluetooth controllers and find the lag noticeable enough to be annoying. OTG cable with an Xbox 360 controller (even with the PC wireless dongle) has always felt the best. Cumbersome, though.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I don't think I have a 360 controller anymore... Would an Xbone controller work?

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Having completed YMBAB multiple times now, I'm left with the feeling that with a couple of slight tweaks it could have really been amazing.

The horn: this should really have been an input to activate, rather than automatic. There's no strategy to it, you just know that on a run where the meter is full, it will activate, and that's that.

The traps: taking away controls from the user sucks, and I feel that the freeze trap with the key lasts a biiiit too long. I know the traps are meant to be a negative experience, but I feel they come up a bit too often.

The secret creatures: I wouldn't mind at least a hint as far as where the remaining unlocks are. The wraith unlock was straightforward enough, but reading some of the hints in this thread I never would have been able to discover these by myself.

Otherwise, the game is awesome, and I've really enjoyed it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

psylent posted:

I'll play anything Fallout related until my fingers bleed. Since this was a huge success, they are hiring more members on to their mobile games team. Excited to see what the future holds. Hopefully they have shorter Android lead times with their next release.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It seems to be getting mixed reviews in the iOS Games thread.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
If I didn't like LoL, should I bother checking out Vainglory?

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

If I didn't like LoL, should I bother checking out Vainglory?

Probably not.

I have to say, I do like Vainglory, but mobile is a lovely place for it. I was trying to play before bed and I kept nodding off... Not a great tactic.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Anyone who isn't playing Merchant should give it a bit of a look. You have a stable of heroes who go out and gather materials to supply your craftsmen with raw materials that they can convert into goods you can sell. Has some 8-bit charm, no IAP, completely free. There is a bit of a downside in that you have to wait for things to complete, but with stuff like Cookie Clicker and others of the ilk being popular around here, there is probably someone else out that that will like this.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

New Leaf posted:

I'll play anything Fallout related until my fingers bleed. Since this was a huge success, they are hiring more members on to their mobile games team. Excited to see what the future holds. Hopefully they have shorter Android lead times with their next release.

Please pleaseTactics 2 for Mobile! ;)

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Finagle posted:

Maybe I'm just dumb, but how do you add friends just by name? I thought they had to be FB or Origin friends.

Yeah, those are Origin user names.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Does anyone play WH40K Carnage? I picked it up since it's on sale and it makes for a decent time waster in short stints, I just wonder if it's worth trying to accumulate friend codes for the fireteam missions or whatever.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

It seems to be getting mixed reviews in the iOS Games thread.

Mostly negative. It starts out kinda fun. But you basically do everything in the first hour. And it gets very buggy and energy intensive the more vault dwellers you get. So you start using up more battery life and lose more progess as the game goes on. Until it is an unplayable mess.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Shwqa posted:

Mostly negative. It starts out kinda fun. But you basically do everything in the first hour. And it gets very buggy and energy intensive the more vault dwellers you get. So you start using up more battery life and lose more progess as the game goes on. Until it is an unplayable mess.

whoa, i didn't know they ported gamebryo to cell phones. impressive!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Digital Jesus posted:

I've been using a Moga Pro controller for about a year and a half and haven't had any problems with it. It's pretty expensive, but the sticks and triggers have held up well and I've played response-heavy games like Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 without noticing any lag problems.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Do any goons play dominations? Is there a thread for it and is their a goon alliance in game?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Joe Danger is on sale for 99 cents. As I've mentioned before its a pretty fun little game, and a good example of how to adapt a relatively busy console game to mobile.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 5, 2015

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
So Merchant.

First of all gently caress you for mentioning it, because it's essentially Oil
Tycoon, but you have to baby sit it more.

Second of all, it's all I think about. What's the best scheme for making money? I'm always broke and I can't tell why.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Sell raw ingredients. I haven't found any item where the final sale price covers the sale price of the base materials and the build cost.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

So Merchant.

First of all gently caress you for mentioning it, because it's essentially Oil
Tycoon, but you have to baby sit it more.

Second of all, it's all I think about. What's the best scheme for making money? I'm always broke and I can't tell why.

You were probably broke early on for the same reasons I was, potions. You need to keep making them or your hero will die but you seemingly can't do anything without them. At least not anything except the mission that gets you the materials to make the potions, so those are what you should run. I would run a couple of those over and above what I needed for potions just so I could sell off the raw materials for cash. This gets a bit slow, it is best to do it with a second hero. You may want to liquidate some iron ingots and sheets as easily built weapons/armor to get enough cash to get that second hero and then that one was pretty much dedicated to harvesting moss and roots.

Also, you don't always have to have the latest and greatest gear your craftsmen can churn out. Skipping out on some of those isn't a bad idea and saves inventory room. Don't be afraid to sell off raw materials (other than the rare crystals or one of a kind items) as you can always get more. Extra inventory spaces are 50 gold to start and go up in price by 25 for each additional slot. You will want to work on getting those unlocked at some point, but probably not necessary until your second hero is in your stable.

Incidentally, if your hero dies, it costs 10 gold x hero level to revive. I have no idea what happens if your only hero is dead and you can't raise the cash to revive.

Ephphatha posted:

Sell raw ingredients. I haven't found any item where the final sale price covers the sale price of the base materials and the build cost.

Sometimes an item will end up enchanted and you can I think come out a very tiny bit ahead. Or maybe it is just closer to breaking even.

Sad truth is though, at some point, you have to have the craftsmen grind away at some stuff to up their experience so you can get better gear.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 5, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Antifreeze Head posted:

(other than the rare crystals or one of a kind items)

What do the crystals do?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

So far, I'm pretty happy to stick with AdVenture Capitalist as my idle game.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Kheldarn posted:

So far, I'm pretty happy to stick with AdVenture Capitalist as my idle game.

I was really into this until I got to the moon. The moon was so disappointing that I gave up pretty quickly. Probably didn't help that I was busy playing The Witcher 3 in my spare time.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Any more general tips for Gems of War besides what has been posted already? I'm especially bad at PvP. :( Best card I've pulled is revenant which kind of blocks my main character. I also have Luther but he doesn't seem that great to me. Also is there room in the goon guild?

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Do any goons play dominations? Is there a thread for it and is their a goon alliance in game?

There is a goon clan, Goon Privilege, and a thread, on my phone so I can't link right now. Make sure to have the language filter off when you search for the clan.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What do the crystals do?

They are needed for boost potions. If you have sold a few, it is no big deal really, but their low rate of showing up makes them somewhat unwise to sell off in wholesale quantities until you can start using the next version up.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Kid posted:

There is a goon clan, Goon Privilege, and a thread, on my phone so I can't link right now. Make sure to have the language filter off when you search for the clan.

Found goon Privilege but it looks full? If you can link the thread that'd be rad

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Gems of War folks: Where on the map is Maugram Woods?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I was really into this until I got to the moon. The moon was so disappointing that I gave up pretty quickly. Probably didn't help that I was busy playing The Witcher 3 in my spare time.

Yea the moon sucks. It took me weeks to finally get to the 100 laser cannon unlock and after I finally did it I'm making a ton more money but I still can't afford anything. Even on earth I'm stuck in the the quattuorsexagintillions and don't see a new breakpoint for a while, I'm giving up on it for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

vulturesrow posted:

Any more general tips for Gems of War besides what has been posted already? I'm especially bad at PvP. :( Best card I've pulled is revenant which kind of blocks my main character. I also have Luther but he doesn't seem that great to me. Also is there room in the goon guild?

Go finish the quests at Whitehelm. The vampire lady (yellow/black) makes a nice tank. He ability does a small amount of life-damage, but boosts her attack and health too. I have her at level 11, and after a couple of uses of her skill she matches skulls for 11 damage.

To get the souls to level up your guys, and get keys to hopefully get some usable troops, play Arena. It costs 1000 gold to enter, so save up for it and always make sure you start a new one before spending gold on your guild or unlocking areas. You have to draft from a random pool of monsters, one common, one rare, and one ultra rare. They're all level 10, so you don't have to worry about being under-leveled. The biggest challenge is trying to pick troops that will utilize most or all of the mana colors. Having a variety of weapons to pick from helps too.

But honestly the AI is too easy. The only time I haven't gone 8-0 or 8-1 is when the game crashed on me. I think I have legitimately lost maybe one match in Arena.

I bought the $5 starter pack with Google bux. The outfit is nice, and the magic keys will give you some Ultra Rares and hopefully an Epic to play with.

New Leaf posted:

Gems of War folks: Where on the map is Maugram Woods?

It's North of Ghoulvania and West of Pan's Labiryth

E: After playing a lot of arena, I have realized that rarity isn't the end all of judging troop strength. Rarer troops do have more stat points (damage/armor/health), but some of the common and uncommon troops have fantastic abilities. Arena will also give you a ton of souls, so feel free to mess around with different comps. Troops max out at level 15, and you can get them to 7~ pretty cheaply.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 6, 2015