Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mzbundifund posted:

Bee armor is hilarious but it's getting really weak and we just started hard mode. What's the next armor we should be looking for to raise the number of minions?

If you found a spider cave before you started hardmode, go back to it and kill the horrible new spiders for mats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mzbundifund posted:

Bee armor is hilarious but it's getting really weak and we just started hard mode. What's the next armor we should be looking for to raise the number of minions?

If you ever found one of those underground spider nest things, go back to those. There are now hardmode spiders that drop bits to make a spider armor/summoning set.

After that is another new item craftable after you kill the Twins.

efb

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Gimbal lock posted:

Weird. I just found an enchanted blade pit that spawned right in the center of a big tree:

Alright, I've been around two worlds, and I found only one of these magic sword shrines or whatever they are. I didn't know what to do with it, but smartitem told me to use my pickaxe on it, so I did, and it just shattered and nothing came out. Did I ruin my magic sword? Is one supposed to always get SOMETHING, or are some of them totally fake and do nothing?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

John Lee posted:

Is one supposed to always get SOMETHING, or are some of them totally fake and do nothing?

The latter.

e : if the shrine is colored, it's real. If it's greyed out, it's a dummy.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Excelzior posted:

you're missing a mushroom biome :colbert:

The Mushroom biome is built into the giant wall sectioning off the central forest. There's also a skylake/airboat and a desert skyboat, but I could only fit the main ship in.

Edit: Originally the Mushroom biome was above the jungle biome, but they do not play well together and I had to move one.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 5, 2015

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Gimbal lock posted:

I'm thinking of making a new map anyway since I'm currently established in a large world. I like the overworld's size and expansiveness of the large worlds but the underground is too sparse.

That's my main problem with the bigger maps. The underground is so empty. I started out fresh after this patch in a medium expect world, and finding any ores was a huge pain. So i switched over to a small world and found more iron in an hour than I had been able to collect in the two days of exploring the first world. A good ore haul for a trip was 2 or 3 bars, making tools was hard, and finding enough of the higher ores to make armor would have taken forever.

So I switched over to a small expect world, grabbed some mobility items from another save, and continued on.

Here's my :effort: base. The main neat things are my super-market style automated glass doors to keep NPCs from falling into the death pit below the base, while letting me run through without pausing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

John Lee posted:

Alright, I've been around two worlds, and I found only one of these magic sword shrines or whatever they are. I didn't know what to do with it, but smartitem told me to use my pickaxe on it, so I did, and it just shattered and nothing came out. Did I ruin my magic sword? Is one supposed to always get SOMETHING, or are some of them totally fake and do nothing?

Yeah, some are fake and some give you stuff. You did the right thing by breaking it. If it makes you feel better, I managed to find two of them but no caves so I'm going to have to just buy up a lot of dynamite or just go make a new base in a new world.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Hi! I'm a filthy casual. Has anyone found any updated inventory editors and/or mods that make my cheatingplaying easier yet? (fully-lit maps, etc.)

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Mzbundifund posted:

Spider armor, which is made from fangs that drop in hard mode spider nests.
e: didn't notice a new page :saddowns:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

jetz0r posted:

The main neat things are my super-market style automated glass doors to keep NPCs from falling into the death pit below the base, while letting me run through without pausing.

Those are pretty drat cool, but I haven't seen NPCs go over platform edges since 1.3 started, even if it's just a 1 tile gap with more platform on the other side. I've even used this to corral them into areas so they will stop falling off loving cliffs making me have to go find them. Still though, a bit of caution works wonders and that will help some in invasions and is cool.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Hi! I'm a filthy casual. Has anyone found any updated inventory editors and/or mods that make my cheatingplaying easier yet? (fully-lit maps, etc.)

Not that I know of yet, I believe many mods run through TShock, which is currently being updated. The good news is there's no drastic internal changes that will make TShock unusable, so wait a few days for them to sort it out and you should be good. Someone who pays more attention to Terraria modding can probably give a more precise answer.

various folks posted:

Spiders spiders spiders

Thanks. By "good fortune" my hellevator runs right through a spider hole so I guess my sunfury and I will go there to have words with the locals.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 5, 2015

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

How avant garde. Whats your map size and difficulty?

Just wondering, since I stopped messing around with expert, what is the smartest fast track to deal with the difficulty in that game if you start out fresh in an expert map?

I'm clearly a masochist since I'm playing expert solo, so here's a serious answer: Starting fresh on an expert map means getting face hosed by every single enemy for the first few hours (depending on luck). The only progression that has worked for me is: Initial ranged weapon + armour (the best ores you can find); use fire or frost arrows -> Make it to the ocean and prepare for lots of fishing-> Break two orbs/hearts for weapons -> Faf about until meteorite -> Meteor and space gun allow you to beat the EoC and BoC (build an arena for BOC); with a lot of alchemy you can also kill the EoW -> Upgrade armour and buy minishark -> Jungle until you get all the shrine/chest items, along with anything else you need -> summon and defeat queen bee (use minishark and meteor shot, with an arena and all the potions you can swallow) -> Use beegun, hive pack, minishark and beenades to kill skeletron.

You can look for sky islands for loot, but starfury is a trap - it's decent against zombies and other trash mobs but EoC is much too fast in the second half of the fight for stars. Make the upgraded healing potions ASAP, and try to find a lost girl/nymph (the metal detector is REALLY useful). Do not fight the queen bee in a hive, use an above ground arena in the jungle. Avoid the underground desert - it's another trap; the enemies are tougher than in the dungeon and the fossil armour isn't that great. Also avoid granite and marble biomes initially - the chests have regular golden chest loot but the monsters are very nasty.

Skeletron is really nasty - don't underestimate him. When he spins, hit him with beenades - this will do bucket loads of damage, and you will need to dodge his attacks, especially in the last form.

To defeat the WoF you will probably need an arena for atleast half the length of the map (on a medium map); so good luck finding water walking boots and a lava charm. You will also need atleast spectre or lightning boots.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

pon alien posted:

Hey if you're like me and you keep losing track of where the cursor is in a sea of darkness and/or flaming neon particles, go to C:\Users\[name]\Documents\My Games\Terraria\config.json and set "ThickMouseEdges" near the bottom to true for a nice fatty outlined cursor.

This has seriously changed the world for me.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
So what are the Goon servers? sudden itching to try multiplayer for the first time ever.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/ This is an online inventory editor. Upload your .plr file and edit it, download and put it back. Works like a charm. I used to to cut out some grinding (i.e. biome keys, chlorophyte ore, souls of night/light. boss summoning items, buffing potions you get for fishing).

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

This is taking me forever. I still have to build the Armory/Storage area on the left side and then in the middle the main zone, then the BATTLE PLATFORM above everything else.
Any suggestions for theme for the upcoming Armory? Gold bricks maybe, I have enough.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I really imagine yoyos are going to at least have their drop rate lowered soon

In the post plantera dungeon I haven't gotten any special drops yet beyond some ectoplasm but FOUR krakens. And only one broken hero sword from the solar eclipse but two cthullu eyes. These things are 100+ damage dealers. My survival time and number of kills per survival time is higher for yoyos than other weapons, including the true night's edge, they just tear through enemies.

Also some hints about the dungeon. On your first run through, remove all water candles. That prepares you for both the here and now and much later, if there's water candles post plantera you're in trouble. I managed that this run. However, do NOT worry about spikes. Instead, come back when you have the Drax (after the three mech bosses and before plantera) and then remove them. Drax mines them quickly, but just after skeletron you don't really have good options for them. This was my mistake this run. Mining out spikes with post-plantera enemies after you is trouble, but having them still there is also a nuisance.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I'm unclear on how nymphs work: I have a grinder in rmy underground ice biome, it's just a screen full of single-block ice rows and minetrack, so I can ride my cart through the grinder over and over and eventually pick up everything dropped by enemies who die on the track. I have a stardust dragon out to do the killing, but I don't think I've ever found a nymph in this world- does that mean she'll always be killed as a lost girl, and have no chance of dropping the metal detector?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Mzbundifund posted:

Find a big spider nest underground and kill a shitload of Black Recluses, they drop fangs from which you can make a whole set of summoning gear and two different summon staves - a tiny baby spider summon which follows you around like the bees, and a Spider Queen which sits on the ground like a turret. All pretty good stuff. After that though you have to wait till post Plantera for Tiki or Spooky Wood armor.

e: i didn't notice the new page either :saddowns: :negative:

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 5, 2015

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Omi no Kami posted:

So I'm unclear on how nymphs work: I have a grinder in rmy underground ice biome, it's just a screen full of single-block ice rows and minetrack, so I can ride my cart through the grinder over and over and eventually pick up everything dropped by enemies who die on the track. I have a stardust dragon out to do the killing, but I don't think I've ever found a nymph in this world- does that mean she'll always be killed as a lost girl, and have no chance of dropping the metal detector?

On an expert world, a nymph/lost girl has a 50% chance of dropping the wossname item. On an expert world it's 100%. Doesn't matter if they are a nymph or lost girl when they get killed.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Are you sure about that? It's a public wiki, but from http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Metal_Detector :

quote:

Killing The Nymph in its Lost Girl form will NOT give you a Metal Detector.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Pretty sure I got mine from a Lost Girl, but it's prolly not worth the risk given how rare they actually are.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Leave all the candles in the dungeon intact because you're not going back there in hardmode to take in the sights.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

pon alien posted:

Leave all the candles in the dungeon intact because you're not going back there in hardmode to take in the sights.

what if I really, really like Gothic furniture

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Wow they really buffed Destroyer since last time I played. I really thought well fed, ironskin, regen, magic power buffs + spooky armor set + magnet sphere + paladin hammer would be enough to win without a whole lot of prep but apparently not! Those things just pound me with damage even though I'm using equipment from my old character that's a few tiers above what I'm supposed to have. Does it basically require an arena now? What's the go-to strategy?

Last time I played Golden Shower would just murder it but I read that it was nerfed into the ground. Is that still better than the above?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Lakitu7 posted:

Wow they really buffed Destroyer since last time I played. I really thought well fed, ironskin, regen, magic power buffs + spooky armor set + magnet sphere + paladin hammer would be enough to win without a whole lot of prep but apparently not! Those things just pound me with damage even though I'm using equipment from my old character that's a few tiers above what I'm supposed to have. Does it basically require an arena now? What's the go-to strategy?

Last time I played Golden Shower would just murder it but I read that it was nerfed into the ground. Is that still better than the above?

Just build a decent sized box big enough to be inside and still have enough room to avoid his body - the drones are kept out by the walls, and they do the bulk of the damage.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Excelzior posted:

what if I really, really like Gothic furniture

I mean the water candles. Pink dungeon furniture is cool.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I found some nice materials I wanted to start my base with, so I left my small hovel and found a nice place in the winter biome to start building. Then it seemed like there were Too Many Slimes, I couldn't get anything done. Oh, a Slime Rain, that's cool. Then on my way back in turned into a Blood Moon. So it was Blood Moon + Slime Rain for a little while.

I've really been enjoying finding upgrades. Found a doublejump item, found an Ice Mirror so I don't need recall potions, all different kind of boots. I tried to bomb a Medusa to death but her Spearmen killed me and when I went back she was mysteriously gone!!

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Built a little workshop detached from what will be the side of the main house. I'm using ebonstone brick, smooth granite, and stone slab.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pon alien posted:

It changes post-Plantera and has cool stuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kanos posted:

The pre-hardmode bosses have new gimmicks on expert. Expert Skeletron's new gimmick is that he has insane defense(most attacks will do 1 damage) until you kill both hands.
I was aware, but not of what Skeletron's was, so i was guessing. Is his charge move not actually different from the normal mode one? I guess the answer for that person's problem is "run away better".

Xenaero posted:

This is taking me forever. I still have to build the Armory/Storage area on the left side and then in the middle the main zone, then the BATTLE PLATFORM above everything else.
Any suggestions for theme for the upcoming Armory? Gold bricks maybe, I have enough.
why aren't you using pots/planters?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zereth posted:

I was aware, but not of what Skeletron's was, so i was guessing. Is his charge move not actually different from the normal mode one? I guess the answer for that person's problem is "run away better".

The final part of expert skeletron is super dicey solo if you're not overgeared and requires some frantic platforming to not loving die, yeah. He's one of the hardest bosses in fresh character expert progression to fight solo.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

...so I spent 20 minutes excavating a huge empty space around my grinder to ensure nobody spawned where my minecart couldn't reach, and when I finished, I found like five metal detectors sitting among all the mined blocks and gel 0_0

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Zereth posted:

why aren't you using pots/planters?

I was told they grow slow in pots. Should I be doing that anyway???

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
You must be insane if you play hardcore at all. So many one off things that can kill by accident, like granite elementals just showing up through a wall and murdering you.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Xenaero posted:

How are your herbs growing? I thought walls, even glass ones, blocked plant growth.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

You must be insane if you play hardcore at all. So many one off things that can kill by accident, like granite elementals just showing up through a wall and murdering you.

Medusa petrifying you from offscreen while you're in midair and dying instantly.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
"Okay I just killed the golem, time to look for life fruits before corruption eats my jungle... oh hey Solar Eclipse."

Go back, fight it a bit. Then Martians invade... beat them back, get the last bit of my solar eclipse to normal spawns, then go to check out the dungeon a bit... MORE MARTIANS.

I need to contact X-COM.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

legoman727 posted:

"Okay I just killed the golem, time to look for life fruits before corruption eats my jungle... oh hey Solar Eclipse."

Go back, fight it a bit. Then Martians invade... beat them back, get the last bit of my solar eclipse to normal spawns, then go to check out the dungeon a bit... MORE MARTIANS.

I need to contact X-COM.

If you're at the point where you're killing golem, presumably you've killed at least one of the mech bosses. Doing that severely slows corruption growth and I'm pretty sure completely stops it overtaking the jungle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Damnit Anklet where are you.
Need some claws too. But the jungle will not be kind to me.