Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acksplode
May 17, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

They actually don't space them out as well as they should - they're like the first thing you can finish.

It's an open world game where you can generally do what you want when you want, so pacing is kinda your responsibility. If you're getting tired of APC chases then go track down some firemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It is pretty fun to wreck the poo poo out of their chase cars in ways you know would be extremely lethal to their occupants.

Also the APCs do upgrade a bit over the chases, like the last few have dual rocket launchers on the roof instead of a mook hanging out the side shooting RPGs.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

acksplode posted:

It's an open world game where you can generally do what you want when you want, so pacing is kinda your responsibility. If you're getting tired of APC chases then go track down some firemen.

Yeah, but they can do stuff to mitigate that, and they DO for the most part - that's why most things open up sequentially as you play. The APCs fully open up a lot earlier than everything else. While I agree with your general idea, there's no reason for the devs to not structure things so that most players don't shoot themselves in the foot.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

ayn rand hand job posted:

Like everything militia related it was fun the first time you did it and then it became a drag since it never changes

Basically this. The APC chases are really fun the first few times, and the ones on Founder's Island are a bit more challenging because you have the winding construction areas, but they get dull pretty quickly. Pursuit mode in general is really awesome to me so I would have liked to see side missions other than that and Firefly dedicated to it.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
The fact that the APCs were as fast as the Batmobile was silly. They should've made them slower but with some kind of take-down gimmick.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Sinners Sandwich posted:

https://youtu.be/kE3oWEDNgXI?t=9m11s

My favorite part about that is that the key just kind of physics out and can get stuck in her cleavage

It honestly never occurred to me that there were exploding collar game overs, you would need to be knowingly failing an impossible to misunderstand challenge.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a way to consistently do fear takedowns? I'll have the meter full and I have no idea how to do it unless the prompt comes up. Sometimes I'll try to do it and he just does a normal punch.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
The apcs would have been better if you didn't have to wait for the cursor to lock on, it just makes it a lil tedious when they keep making turns.

Aquasnake posted:

It honestly never occurred to me that there were exploding collar game overs, you would need to be knowingly failing an impossible to misunderstand challenge.

Why the hell did they make so many?

That is a weird place to put effort when the average person isn't going to see them.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

NESguerilla posted:

Is there a way to consistently do fear takedowns? I'll have the meter full and I have no idea how to do it unless the prompt comes up. Sometimes I'll try to do it and he just does a normal punch.

It seems finicky sometimes in how close you have to be to groups of enemies in order to trigger the prompt. I don't know if there's any specific requirements for it in terms of how close you have to be to perform one.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SectumSempra posted:

The apcs would have been better if you didn't have to wait for the cursor to lock on, it just makes it a lil tedious when they keep making turns.

They seem to always match your speed once they're aware of you, but if you can get in its path first, you can soften them up considerably. I think I took off close to half of an APC's health by ramming into it head-on at high speed, and the resulting chase was over pretty quick.

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie
So I just finished the game on PC with 100% of the side missions. Two the AR Challenge missions didn't pop up (City Heat TT and Under the Pale Moonlight). Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is there any way to fix it? This is for the PC version.

Also End Game Spoilers What was up with the van getting rammed open and "I knew he'd come for me" part? It was all a hallucination, and seemed really jarring and out of place to me. They also never really resolved the Red Hood thing. He just shows up out of nowhere, sets Batman free, and that's the last you see of him. All in all, the ending seemed really rushed to me.

Oww My Eye fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 6, 2015

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there any way to force the PlayStation prompts to display instead of the XBox prompts on the PC version? I'm using a PS4 controller.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oww My Eye posted:

Also End Game Spoilers What was up with the van getting rammed open and "I knew he'd come for me" part? It was all a hallucination, and seemed really jarring and out of place to me.

The van was flooding with fear toxin, which made Bats hallucinate the escape/Joker fight. You can see it coming in through the vents. Or at least, I assume that's what the gas was, it could've just been Generic Fog of Coldness or something. Or maybe Batman was just playing it out in his mind cuz he cray. It's hard to tell for sure.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

CJacobs posted:

The van was flooding with fear toxin, which made Bats hallucinate the escape/Joker fight. You can see it coming in through the vents. Or at least, I assume that's what the gas was, it could've just been Generic Fog of Coldness or something. Or maybe Batman was just playing it out in his mind cuz he cray. It's hard to tell for sure.

The "I knew he'd follow" or whatever was him saying that he knew Jason Todd wouldn't stay away. The rest is just an awesome fear gas trip.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love that line because it's so totally Batman trying to save face with Alfred because there's no way he actually was sure of that. Like, come on, after everything that's happened can Batman really actually be sure Todd will do a heel-turn like that?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

How bad is origins? I'm playing through all the games right now waiting for the PC version fix since I never beat them. I just beat asylum which was goddamn fantastic and moving on to city. should I skip origins?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

queeb posted:

How bad is origins? I'm playing through all the games right now waiting for the PC version fix since I never beat them. I just beat asylum which was goddamn fantastic and moving on to city. should I skip origins?

Don't skip it, it's a good game. The main issue with it is that it doesn't really offer much new to the series but it's still a pretty fun game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Origins is really not as bad as it used to be. They fixed the majority of the glitches (there are still quite a few but I don't think there's anything showstopping anymore) and the combat is basically the same as the rest of the series with a few new gadgets. The side quests are kind of lackluster and you only actually end up doing maybe half of what the trailers implied you'd do but that's moot by now. I guess it just depends on how high your tolerance for "it was all the Joker. Again. Time for him to steal the show for the next 10 hours." is. Personally I love the guy so it wasn't that huge of a deal for me but others might be tired of him by now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Origins is really not as bad as it used to be. They fixed the majority of the glitches (there are still quite a few but I don't think there's anything showstopping anymore) and the combat is basically the same as the rest of the series with a few new gadgets. I guess it just depends on how high your tolerance for "it was all the Joker. Again. Time for him to steal the show for the next 10 hours." is. Personally I love the guy so it wasn't that huge of a deal for me but others might be tired of him by now.

Yeah, but if you're not up for Joker stealing the show then you should drop Arkham right here and now basically.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also true.

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but if you're not up for Joker stealing the show then you should drop Arkham right here and now basically.

It's also not Mark Hamill which may be a deal killer.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Oww My Eye posted:

It's also not Mark Hamill which may be a deal killer.

It's still Hamill's joker, just performed by Troy Baker.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's uncannily good and probably my favorite depiction of the Joker in the Arkham series, until AK

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie

ghostwritingduck posted:

It's still Hamill's joker, just performed by Troy Baker.

It just felt off to me, but that's just my dumb opinion.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If you've watched Hamill's performance for the past near-20 years then you can definitely tell there's something off about Baker's version (bit too squeaky.)

He's does a serviceable job, though, better than most post-Hamill Joker voices (looking at you Brent Spiner.) Plus it's supposed to be a younger Joker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Troy Baker's Joker isn't perfect but it's close enough to work. It isn't like the new frigging Harley Quinn.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ImpAtom posted:

Troy Baker's Joker isn't perfect but it's close enough to work. It isn't like the new frigging Harley Quinn.
I dig the new Harley Quinn voice. It's still got that "Mistah J" flavor, good enough for me. Granted she is a Power Puff Girl, which could be a pro or a con I suppose.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 6, 2015

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
Just about beat this and I just wanna say that fighting the cloudburst with Like a Dog Chasing Cars cresting while driving around at top speed trying to avoid missile blasts is the kind of video game magic I love. Put a big smile on my face. I just love that song and Molossus and No Stone Unturned (at least from the 1:50 mark onwards) while tearing poo poo up in the Batmobile.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

My game broke in the final stretch and made a cutscene really funny since it looks like Batman's just totally lost his mind and is carrying an imaginary Barbara into the GCPD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnWPq3ScQCU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I might be the only one, but I think each Arkham game got better. I've played all of them again in the last year and I think I enjoyed each one more than the last.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rei_ posted:

My game broke in the final stretch and made a cutscene really funny since it looks like Batman's just totally lost his mind and is carrying an imaginary Barbara into the GCPD

That same glitch happened on another video I saw.

I thought that was part of the game and Bruce was going nuts. I like that twist better, honestly. :colbert:

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

queeb posted:

I love it because of the boss fights. I'm disappointed in the severe lack of boss fights in Knight, especially when compared to Origins. It was made by a different studio though so whatever I guess.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

NESguerilla posted:

Be sure it has the prompt. Basically you have to be close enough to a mook, and he has to be close enough to at least one more. Also sometimes you can start with a silent takedown and transition into a fear but really it works most consistently by starting with a fear takedown (prompt will say fear takedown, on PC you start with the LMB, and the dudes you can hit with it are glowing yellow).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Brady posted:

I love it because of the boss fights. I'm disappointed in the severe lack of boss fights in Knight, especially when compared to Origins. It was made by a different studio though so whatever I guess.

what lack of boss fights

you had the helicopter batmobile fight which sucked
you had the cloudburst batmobile fight which sucked
you had the excavator batmobile fight which sucked
you had the deathstroke batmobile fight - see cloudburst fight above
you had the pyg fight which kinda is buggy and kinda decent when it works right

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 6, 2015

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
If those are considered "boss fights" I don't wanna be right.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just finished City (just the story) after 100%-ing Knight and then Asylum again. I enjoyed City a lot, especially touches like credits on the fail ending for Catwoman ditching Bruce, but I have to say I liked Knight and Asylum the best.

I still need to play Origins, but I really love the mobility from Knight. Also, a lot of people mentioned the Disruptor as a con for Knight. I loved it, as it added more tactical choices to predator sections. I liked figuring out who to cripple to maximize my ability to take everyone out unnoticed.

City had the best fight so far for me though (Freeze) and overall was great.

ayn rand hand job posted:

you had the excavator batmobile fight which sucked

I loved the Excavator fight.

mastajake fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 6, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mastajake posted:

I loved the Excavator fight.

I liked the concept. I did not like how I drifted slightly off line because of the lovely camera and died 5 or 6 times because the batmobile caught the lip of the ledge where you were supposed to land.

It was poorly executed. I am glad they left the ability to swap to the cockpit view so it wasn't unpassable, but that doesn't excuse Rocksteady's implementation and use of lovely camera angles.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

JFC posted:

I might be the only one, but I think each Arkham game got better. I've played all of them again in the last year and I think I enjoyed each one more than the last.

This is the right opinion.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I like Origins but it definitely isn't as good as the first two. Knight is so different that I am still digesting it but comparing it is a bit apples to oranges in some respects. I do think it suffers a lot from wider but shallower, in that the predator encounters are hardly designed at all, presumably because they take a lot of time to do right that was spent on other poo poo (batmobile, which I do like), so they just said gently caress it and stuck most of them in the open air which makes them not really challenging in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
OK I just started playing this and I'm at (early game) ACE chemical and for the love of loving god please tell me the entire game isn't retarded puzzles of "OH I GUESS I NEED THE BATMOBILE TO BE HERE, LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN" because seriously it's an unfun mechanic. Please tell me this phase ends.

• Locked thread