Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I forget if I have asked this here before, is there any trick to defeating the grand cross part of Neo Exdeath fast? On my 3 berserkers/1 samurai playthrough, this attack is what is really stopping me. In order to win I have to constantly gil toss, and grand cross easily incapacitates my party so tat my samurai either has to spend time healing everyone or can't even do anything. Even something that my guys can wear to negate or soften grand cross would be good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
There's a few ways to get extra damage on him, but nothing you can use; Grand Cross section has Dragon classification, so Dragon Lances and Apollo's Harp will both do a ton of damage to him.

Pretty much all you can do is go level grind and hope the Zerkers kill all the right spots quickly enough. Don't forget the Magic Lamp on the back part.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Bregor posted:

Equip Axes is extremely my jam sometimes. :black101:

Twinkle twinkle little axe, death scythe's great, that's the facts. :v:

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I forget if I have asked this here before, is there any trick to defeating the grand cross part of Neo Exdeath fast? On my 3 berserkers/1 samurai playthrough, this attack is what is really stopping me. In order to win I have to constantly gil toss, and grand cross easily incapacitates my party so tat my samurai either has to spend time healing everyone or can't even do anything. Even something that my guys can wear to negate or soften grand cross would be good too.

Aegis Shield gives you immunity to petrify in addition to a flat 33% chance to block spells.

Bone Mail can negate poison, old, darkness, confusion, berserk, and instant death. Downside is that Almagest hits twice as hard, and there's no way of bringing a dead Bone Mail-er back up. It's technically possible to get more than one, but good luck farming rare steals with the Thief Knife.

Hermes Sandals can block sleep, paralyze, slow and stop.

If you were lucky enough to grab any Genji gear from Gilgamesh in the Rift via the Thief Knife, the Shield can shut down Mini, and the Armor can block Toad.

The Thornlet protects against sleep, but that's redundant with Hermes Sandals.

That.... appears to be all the gear your team is capable of that blocks status effects.

I'm not aware of any ways of taking it out quickly, either. Just hope your Berserkers decide that it has to die, I guess.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Leofish posted:

I also have my tripe crown pics as well!

A tripe crown sounds rather unpleasant. :v:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Earlier today I did the endgame with my kid with my fiesta party (but, you know, not on fast forward). He liked it a lot and was all :swoon: when Galuf showed up to help dunk Exdeath's void party. He also wanted to know why Exdeath was a tree. And later during the last fight where we all even were. Then why was my wizard small (Grand Cross! :argh:)

By the time we got to the part in the credits with the guys riding dragons/chocobos he said, "I want to do your game more. A lot."

Aww. Me too little guy. :unsmith:

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
I just finished my victory, which was also my first time playing FF5. Between Summoner and Beastmaster, I had the tools to deal with pretty much anything the game threw at me. (Mostly, I was carried to victory on the back of Syldra, but the Wonder Wand gets an honorable mention for berserking Shinryu.)

Also got the triple crown. :toot:

...and I managed to capture a crystelle. I used it on Neo Exdeath, but I don't really think I needed it at all. Between the +30% HP on my summoner, aegis shield blocking almagest on the dragoon, and my rapid actions from everyone having hermes sandals, I would have been fine without it. I'm still including this picture because capturing it took more work than any of the actual bosses.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Ramc posted:

Earlier today I did the endgame with my kid with my fiesta party (but, you know, not on fast forward). He liked it a lot and was all :swoon: when Galuf showed up to help dunk Exdeath's void party. He also wanted to know why Exdeath was a tree. And later during the last fight where we all even were. Then why was my wizard small (Grand Cross! :argh:)

By the time we got to the part in the credits with the guys riding dragons/chocobos he said, "I want to do your game more. A lot."

Aww. Me too little guy. :unsmith:

You have a cool kid. :3:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Maleketh posted:

You have a cool kid. :3:

Now that he has realized there are other jobs in this game (he saw Sully's collection of job icons on his solo run page) I am probably going to have my own personal challenge run on the side with him. Beat the game with a 3-year-old picking your jobs at any given time.

He liked the kitty Krile White Mage... and the Berserker Bartz one. :gonk:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

There we go. Between one-shotting dark flames with Ramuh on my bards and turbo, this didn't take very long. Now I can cast fire spells on myself the rest of the game! :shepspends:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Got all the way to exdeath and promptly got smashed by Almagest which one shot my entire party. So it looks like it is time to grind some levels for the HP. My party is Thief-Red Mage-Time Mage-Bard. I've just been singing requiem at Unknowns in the undersea chasm place. Is there a better spot to grind for exp?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
First ever Fiesta done!

Was thinking up crazy strategies like farming Aegis Shields with a Thief Knife, but I just ended up using a bunch of Elixirs and throwing money at NED.

Everyone mastered everything except Samurai which only Bartz mastered. Didn't end up using all those abilities but why not? Brave Blade run so I had plenty of AP to go around.

Time to re-reg tomorrow! After having no rods or real magic users I'm thinking a 750 run will do just fine. :science:

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Seravadon posted:

Got all the way to exdeath and promptly got smashed by Almagest which one shot my entire party. So it looks like it is time to grind some levels for the HP. My party is Thief-Red Mage-Time Mage-Bard. I've just been singing requiem at Unknowns in the undersea chasm place. Is there a better spot to grind for exp?

If you wanna get fancy, you can !Hide someone once NED starts shaking, since it's the sign he's about to use Almagest.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Sworder posted:

If you wanna get fancy, you can !Hide someone once NED starts shaking, since it's the sign he's about to use Almagest.

I tried that. My Bard promptly got her face smashed in as soon as she came out of hiding. :(

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Steam sale and Terraria update have kept me away from this game, but I'm into world 3 now. Blue/Zerk/White/Summoner, doing well at level 33. Wiped once in all of World 2 (Single blue dragon in the middle of the lava floors). Passed up L3 Flare because I wasn't the right level when passing through the dragon floors, then hit 33 on the upper floors and got it and Condemned from X-Death himself.

A few questions:
-I have totally forgotten the plot, am I supposed to be doing the Pyramid with only three people?
-Can this team take on either of the optional bosses, and what should I do to prepare for them and NED? I see mention of Death Sickles and rings, I don't have any of those.
-Which weapons should I unlock, and should I go for another tablet, either for the legendary weapons or the other rewards? I'm already planning on Rune Axe-ing someone (Probably my Zerker, because the other three can all fling around Blue or White as needed).
-The combo of Excalipoor and Goblin Punch was mentioned several pages back, but not elaborated on. I'm guessing the sword has a script attached that makes it always deal 1 damage, and GobPunch bypasses that?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Maleketh posted:

A tripe crown sounds rather unpleasant. :v:

It was delicious!

Stupid typos. :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Seravadon posted:

No, you never need to grind for NED when you have a bard. During his first tree phase, have one or two characters just sing speed song until you're getting instant turns on everyone, then go ahead and sing Hero's Rhyme or whatever else you want, if you feel like it. You can then burn down the Almagest part long before NED gets the chance to use it.

In case you don't know, the buffing spells increase the relevant stat(s) every time the bard gets a turn. Since Speed Song increases your speed, you'll get turns faster and faster (and thus increase your stats faster and faster). You can easily get your team to max speed and zany levels/stats during the first phase.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Dareon posted:

Steam sale and Terraria update have kept me away from this game, but I'm into world 3 now. Blue/Zerk/White/Summoner, doing well at level 33. Wiped once in all of World 2 (Single blue dragon in the middle of the lava floors). Passed up L3 Flare because I wasn't the right level when passing through the dragon floors, then hit 33 on the upper floors and got it and Condemned from X-Death himself.

A few questions:
-I have totally forgotten the plot, am I supposed to be doing the Pyramid with only three people?
-Can this team take on either of the optional bosses, and what should I do to prepare for them and NED? I see mention of Death Sickles and rings, I don't have any of those.
-Which weapons should I unlock, and should I go for another tablet, either for the legendary weapons or the other rewards? I'm already planning on Rune Axe-ing someone (Probably my Zerker, because the other three can all fling around Blue or White as needed).
-The combo of Excalipoor and Goblin Punch was mentioned several pages back, but not elaborated on. I'm guessing the sword has a script attached that makes it always deal 1 damage, and GobPunch bypasses that?

- Yes. You'll get your 4th member back soon.
- Rings can be bought from a shop in Mirage. They're 50k and make their corresponding elements heal you. I'm not sure if you can get death sickles in World 3 still. As for the special boss you will probably be able to take on Shinryu using the berserk and image method. Not sure on Omega.
- I would get the staff for your white mage since it boosts Holy. Maybe the magus rod as well?
- That's correct. Goblin punch only takes into account the 100 power of the weapon and ignores the "always do 1 damage" part.

Schwartzcough posted:

No, you never need to grind for NED when you have a bard. During his first tree phase, have one or two characters just sing speed song until you're getting instant turns on everyone, then go ahead and sing Hero's Rhyme or whatever else you want, if you feel like it. You can then burn down the Almagest part long before NED gets the chance to use it.

In case you don't know, the buffing spells increase the relevant stat(s) every time the bard gets a turn. Since Speed Song increases your speed, you'll get turns faster and faster (and thus increase your stats faster and faster). You can easily get your team to max speed and zany levels/stats during the first phase.

Oh god I had no idea. I'm trying this out now and it is ridiculous. Do the buffs go away if the character dies?

Geocities Homepage King fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 6, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Dareon posted:

A few questions:

-Yes, Lenna will automatically rejoin later.
-Omega I don't see happening with your team. You either need to do a lot of damage very quickly with defense-ignoring auto-hit attacks, a Chemist to negate most of his attacks, or a Time Mage with Quick and a Poison Rod to cheese him. Shinryu should be doable with Berserk, Blink, and maybe Golem just in case. NED can be done with drat near any team, it just might require some leveling on your part.
-Rune Axe is a good choice. I'd go with Sage's Staff and Magus Rod for your White Mage and Summoner. You can grab another tablet for the Assassin's Dagger if you want, but you shouldn't need it.
-Pretty much exactly that. Goblin Punch ignores the "Always do 1 damage" code and uses the actual 100 Attack value on the sword, making it a rather potent combo, even with Blue Mage's abysmal Strength.

EDIT: Beaten by like 5 minutes. I type way too slow. :negative:

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Schwartzcough posted:

It takes about four minutes for one bard to rev up to full speed, then two more for any other buff song once there. Faster if you stack multiple singers, obviously.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Ramc posted:

Now that he has realized there are other jobs in this game (he saw Sully's collection of job icons on his solo run page) I am probably going to have my own personal challenge run on the side with him. Beat the game with a 3-year-old picking your jobs at any given time.

He liked the kitty Krile White Mage... and the Berserker Bartz one. :gonk:

We'd love to have that documented in the FFV challenge run thread.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Schwartzcough posted:

If you have the right team setup, it's worth trying out Hastega + Speed Song at some point.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Seravadon posted:

Oh god I had no idea. I'm trying this out now and it is ridiculous. Do the buffs go away if the character dies?

Nope! It's absolutely loving bonkers how overpowered Bards can be if you give them a chance. In addition to their songs, their sealed weapon deals EIGHT TIMES its normal damage (and unlike the other two harps, Apollo Harp's damage formula doesn't suck rear end) to Dragons and Undead.

Fun fact: The Grand Cross section of NED has Dragon classing. :haw:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Seravadon posted:

Nope, you keep bard buffs if a character dies. Bards are redonkulous in battles where you can actually sing for a while without dying.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I've made this case before but I actually think Neo Exdeath might be the hardest final boss (not counting difficult optional poo poo) in a Final Fantasy game. That doesn't mean it's a hard game but still!

Necron makes an interesting case; Neo Exdeath takes a lot longer to kill, but Necron's version of Grand Cross hits you with multiple ailments at once. I don't know how many times I had to stop what I was doing because half my party got zombied and killed, so I had to cure the zombie with Magic Tags before I could revive them, all while Necron's nuking the poo poo out of me. Once you can burst him down, though, he's a paper tiger.

I think it's actually interesting though that after Almagest on NED, FF games decided to make the final bosses' huge scary unique supermoves either be percentile damage (Supernova) or party-wide reduce to 1 skills (Fallen One). Zeromus and Neo Exdeath didn't do any of that prissy "give you a fighting chance" poo poo.

Seravadon posted:

Nope! It's a hard (albeit temporary) adjustment to the character's base stats. You can revive them and they'll come back up exactly like they were when they died. There's a reason FF5's bard is so broken.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Bufuman posted:

There's a few ways to get extra damage on him, but nothing you can use; Grand Cross section has Dragon classification, so Dragon Lances and Apollo's Harp will both do a ton of damage to him.

Pretty much all you can do is go level grind and hope the Zerkers kill all the right spots quickly enough. Don't forget the Magic Lamp on the back part.

Unfortunately, that seems like what I would have to do. I'm already at level 50 with my team, and I still can't beat Neo Exdeath. I feel like I would need to do A LOT of grinding to beat the boss at this point, and unless there's an enemy that gives extreme amounts of exp this would take longer than I'm willing to do.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

I think it's actually interesting though that after Almagest on NED, FF games decided to make the final bosses' huge scary unique supermoves either be percentile damage (Supernova) or party-wide reduce to 1 skills (Fallen One). Zeromus and Neo Exdeath didn't do any of that prissy "give you a fighting chance" poo poo.

NES Cloud of Darkness might have been the worst offender there, actually. It basically just spends the entire battle spamming one super-powerful move. No status attacks, no breather rounds, no dispels, NO MERCY, just pure unfiltered beatdown.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

NES Cloud of Darkness might have been the worst offender there, actually. It basically just spends the entire battle spamming one super-powerful move. No status attacks, no breather rounds, no dispels, NO MERCY, just pure unfiltered beatdown.

On the other hand, you had Sage and Ninja, so it was basically a damage race.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

On the other hand, you had Sage and Ninja, so it was basically a damage race.

A damage race on the heels of two dungeons with four bosses that weren't much weaker than the final boss itself. Keeping enough MP back for heals is a hell of a task.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I beat that thing with a solo Dragoon. Blood spear forever.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

Thanks for all the bard advice guys. I ended up pulling off the victory. Exdeath didn't know what hit him. (The answer is: A lot of comets and meteors are what hit him.)

I think I might try a 750 run next.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I just got my third job on my Monk / Red Mage run.

It's Bard :v:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Well, at least the monk will be able to do damage.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I was watching slio9's FF5 stream, and it looked like mini doubled (or greatly improved) the Aegis shield's special magic block. This is not according to the algorithm guide, but it sure looked true according to eyeballs.

Is this a known thing?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sax Solo posted:

I was watching slio9's FF5 stream, and it looked like mini doubled (or greatly improved) the Aegis shield's special magic block. This is not according to the algorithm guide, but it sure looked true according to eyeballs.

Is this a known thing?

It is not true, as best as I know from years past (though I'd be happy to be proven wrong). A couple fights with it is a pretty small sample size, though, so it could just have been higher than expected for those.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Sax Solo posted:

Is this a known thing?

I know Mini doubles one's evade rate, but does that affect the Aegis Shield, which is supposed to be a straight 1/3 chance? Interesting. I may have to hit the Algorithms guide to check that out.

EDIT: I can't find anything in the algorithms FAQ, either in the Aegis Shield check formula, or Mini's evasion boost formula (it seems to only affect physical evade).

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 6, 2015

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I have the Thieves Knife now and am wondering if it's worth attempting to mug a Rune Blade from the Stingray for my MK? It sounds like it's one of the best weapons for the MK.

I unfortunately sold my Thieves Glove since I didn't know I could get something that would allow me to steal if I wasn't a thief. Though I'm not sure if they effect the mug rate of the thieves knife.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

D_W posted:

I have the Thieves Knife now and am wondering if it's worth attempting to mug a Rune Blade from the Stingray for my MK? It sounds like it's one of the best weapons for the MK.

I unfortunately sold my Thieves Glove since I didn't know I could get something that would allow me to steal if I wasn't a thief. Though I'm not sure if they effect the mug rate of the thieves knife.

Can't speak for the first.

As for the second, it doesn't matter; only thieves can equip the thieves' glove. (OK, and mimics.) If you don't have one, selling it is no problem.

Edit: I think it would affect it if you did do that, but why bother?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Hrmm well I've been trying to steal one for like 20 minutes now and it doesn't seem to work. Maybe you can't mug rare stealable items?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

D_W posted:

Hrmm well I've been trying to steal one for like 20 minutes now and it doesn't seem to work. Maybe you can't mug rare stealable items?

You can. The issue is, to get a rare steal off the knife, you have to succeed at:

33% chance for the Knife to proc
40% chance for your Steal to hit
3.9% chance to get the rare steal (instead of the common steal)

On targets that have no common steal that last one isn't as big of an annoyance, but you can only successfully steal from a target once, so unless you get really lucky, knifing rare steals from things with common steals blows.

If you have Red Mage, why not just do Fork Tower and then Istory and get the Rune Blade from there instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

You absolutely can; I get all my dragon lances that way.

That being said, I wouldn't say it's worth it. Probably be much happier with an Enhancer.

• Locked thread