Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Our air conditioning unit in our apartment is broken this weekend, which is making heatgun work a unique brand of torture :gonk: but we are still going strong on Arthas!

Left shoulderpad, about half done!

Bracers, which just need spikes added!

The weirdest breastplate of all time, which needs trim and then is done! Cropped out my face because I am super tired and hot as gently caress and I looked like balls.

3 weekends of work left, things are coming together really well but oh my god I hope they fix the air conditioning soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Anyone have any experience with buying/using a scroll saw to cut foam or wood? Harb Freight has one that's a good price but not sure if the application I have in mind will work for it? Mainly cutting foam to assemble armor and possibly cutting wood to build up and use as the base for other prop pieces.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Super 3 posted:

Anyone have any experience with buying/using a scroll saw to cut foam or wood? Harb Freight has one that's a good price but not sure if the application I have in mind will work for it? Mainly cutting foam to assemble armor and possibly cutting wood to build up and use as the base for other prop pieces.

Do you mean EVA foam or rigid pink foam? I have a scroll saw that I use for wood and I love it but I think the blade would tear up the sides of EVA pretty bad, I'd just use an xacto

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

McPantserton posted:

Do you mean EVA foam or rigid pink foam? I have a scroll saw that I use for wood and I love it but I think the blade would tear up the sides of EVA pretty bad, I'd just use an xacto

Good to know. I've seen/heard people mention cutting up EVA foam on what I assumed was a scroll, maybe it was a band saw?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Super 3 posted:

Good to know. I've seen/heard people mention cutting up EVA foam on what I assumed was a scroll, maybe it was a band saw?

Ok I got curious and busted out my scroll saw real quick on a scrap of foam from building Arthas. It ate up the foam a lot less than expected and left pretty good edges with pretty minimal ridging from the cuts but I am still team xacto knife, it's a cheaper and probably safer way to cut and I think you'd get better accuracy with a knife going around corners. I can't really come up with a time that I'd go to my scroll for foam after having tried it out but it's good to know that it works! I took some pictures but they're uploading super slowly from my phone so I will edit them in later because I have a date with a hot tub right now to try and fix my back, which is jacked to hell and back after crafting forever.

e. Now with photos!
My saw:

I used the saw on the bottom cut and was paying a minimal amount of attention to the marks on it at the end there, you can see the first cuts are pretty good right up until I lost interest haha

Best attempt at photo of the cut edge, it had sort of regular lines from the sawblade but was much less ugly than I'd expected so there you go!

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 6, 2015

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I've used a bandsaw on foamcore sheets before when I needed a stack of identical bits, and it worked amazingly. A little bit of cruft on the bottom piece, but nothing that would be impossible to cover. I have plans for a set of robotic spider legs that I'll do out of the pink foam on a bandsaw.

Also, craft foam, the EVA kind, can be safely cut at low power on a laser cutter. No noxious fumes, hooray!

Edit: I guess I don't really do "cosplay", more "I have crazy ideas for things and must build them!"

Current ideas:
- remote controlled robot spider legs
- "spirit walker" with a tech slant - instead of a mask, a tv screen showing static interspersed with footage from cameras mounted on the back, with a white-noise generator as background audio.
- steampunk shoulder-mounted arm controlled by a wii nunchuck
- shoulder-mounted robot dragon.

TwystNeko fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 6, 2015

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the pictures and trial run there.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TwystNeko posted:

I've used a bandsaw on foamcore sheets before when I needed a stack of identical bits, and it worked amazingly. A little bit of cruft on the bottom piece, but nothing that would be impossible to cover.

FWIW you can probably avoid this by putting a sacrificial piece (of scrap plywood, hardboard, MDfF or similar, or just the same foamcore) underneath.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Has anyone used transparent worbla who can give me some input? I want to do an Immortan Joe costume, but I don't have a vacuforming table (or the room for one) so I'm wondering if this stuff would let me make a reasonably comparable set of clear armor.

My thinking is I'd make a buck out of something like pink home depot housing insulation foam, carve the abdominal shape into it, then lay the clear worbla overtop and heatgun it down into form. That said, I have never used worbla, clear or otherwise, so I have no idea. Any suggestions?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I think your plan sounds good! I would say do 1-2 layers of paper mache over your foam so the heatgun doesn't melt it, pink foam melts very easily. I also still suspect that worbla's TranspArt is basically rebranded petg so I would probably buy a sheet of that first because it would be a lot cheaper.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Amusingly I was just coming to ask for a little guidance on a Furiosa arm. I'm a novice when it comes to building this stuff (:v: so naturally I pick a tough one) but I've been looking around to get an idea of where to begin; I've seen at least one tutorial and a number of different cosplayers all doing different methods. Foam and aluminum plating seem to be the most common suggested methods. A friend actually suggested I try wonderflex.

What would you guys recommend? :ohdear: I'm mostly planning this for Halloween so I have all summer to screw it up.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Transmogrifier posted:

Amusingly I was just coming to ask for a little guidance on a Furiosa arm. I'm a novice when it comes to building this stuff (:v: so naturally I pick a tough one) but I've been looking around to get an idea of where to begin; I've seen at least one tutorial and a number of different cosplayers all doing different methods. Foam and aluminum plating seem to be the most common suggested methods. A friend actually suggested I try wonderflex.

What would you guys recommend? :ohdear: I'm mostly planning this for Halloween so I have all summer to screw it up.

I came here for the same exact reason

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'm thinking Furiosa will be my next project too haha. I'll probably start with the basic structure of the arm part using wood dowels and fake leather, making cuffs that the dowels are attached to to make the basic underlying shape. Will probably make her fingers out of pink foam covered in whatever hardware store stuff looks good, and once those parts are together I will raid my local True Value and add wires, cords, bolts, etc. to fancy it up.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

McPantserton posted:

I'm thinking Furiosa will be my next project too haha. I'll probably start with the basic structure of the arm part using wood dowels and fake leather, making cuffs that the dowels are attached to to make the basic underlying shape. Will probably make her fingers out of pink foam covered in whatever hardware store stuff looks good, and once those parts are together I will raid my local True Value and add wires, cords, bolts, etc. to fancy it up.

I've always wondered how to deal with a character like Furiosa when you aren't actually missing a limb. Just build the "prosthetic" much larger and hide yours inside somehow?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Magnus Praeda posted:

I've always wondered how to deal with a character like Furiosa when you aren't actually missing a limb. Just build the "prosthetic" much larger and hide yours inside somehow?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

McPantserton posted:

I was looking through a Cosplay magazine at Barnes and I'm pretty sure I saw you holding a very large novelty check in your chaos get up.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Super 3 posted:

I was looking through a Cosplay magazine at Barnes and I'm pretty sure I saw you holding a very large novelty check in your chaos get up.

She won first in category, second overall at C2E2. There was indeed a giant check involved.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Magnus Praeda posted:

I'm just thinking a black glove, simple but effective enough! I'm also not going to shave my head, half of it is shaved normally but I like my hair. So I'll be somewhat inaccurate Furiosa anyway.

Super 3 posted:

Ahaha yeah, that is definitely me! :D My copy came in the mail yesterday, I feel so cosfamous now.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Hey all, I wanted some help brainstorming something, but I guess I should post some previous work first? The biggest thing I've done so far is Hector from Fire Emblem 7:

(guy in front, not back)
I've done some other things, but that's not why I'm here.

I'm starting to make a Captain Anarchy cosplay:

The main things I'm struggling with: making those gloves, and trying to figure out a way to hook the shield onto the harness - it'll be really useful to do that while walking around cons, if anyone here has ever walked around a con with a big prop we share some pain.

For the gloves, I've already bought a cheap pair or red football (american) gloves that I'm thinking I'll add foam to and cover the foam with cloth. They won't be nearly as bulky as the reference images, but I'd like to be able to move my hands at the con. I've done a cosplay with hockey gloves already, and that's not fun.

For the shield, I already have a metal snow saucer being delivered, I'm going to strip it, grind down the edges, weld some metal in to cover the holes up and weld some stuff onto the back for straps.
Now, I've seen the backs of some Cap shields, and they have little latches you attach back straps to and you just put your arms through the straps. I would like to have the harness on, and be able to shove it on my back like you see in the movies/comics. Do you think just having a couple hooks on the back would be adequate, or maybe I could put some rare earth magnets on the harness and the shield, and stick it to my back all futuristic-like?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I'd maybe search for Hellboy glove tutorials on instructables or RPF as they have a similar profile.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The only issue I could think of with putting magnets on the shield would be accidentally getting random stuff with it throughout the day. Display stands, cell phones, credit cards. I don't know how much of a concern that is realistically, but I'd probably be worried about it regardless.

That said, the magnet idea is super awesome and would fit in with how Captain America just sort of sticks it to his back sometimes.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Just put a hook on your back and hang the shield from one of the shield straps. Not like an actual hook but something that will catch the strap.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

What up shield buddy. I'm working (slowly) on a Cap shield and have some plans for the same thing.
I'm going with a binocular harness:

I'm planing to replace the fake leather back panel thing with a metal plate I've cut into shape. Then I'm bolting a 65lb magnet (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-65-lb-Heavy-Duty-Round-Pull-Magnets-96354/203613136) to the plate. My shield is made out of a satellite dish and is already magnetic, so I'll just be able to swing it back and have it connect. If yours isn't magnetic you might have to attach another magnet or a steel plate or something to the inside of the shield, which might make it a bit more difficult to connect in one go.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Funhilde posted:

I'd maybe search for Hellboy glove tutorials on instructables or RPF as they have a similar profile.

I hadn't thought of that, thanks!
Quick, to the internet!

Radio! posted:

What up shield buddy. I'm working (slowly) on a Cap shield and have some plans for the same thing.
I'm going with a binocular harness:

I'm planing to replace the fake leather back panel thing with a metal plate I've cut into shape. Then I'm bolting a 65lb magnet (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-65-lb-Heavy-Duty-Round-Pull-Magnets-96354/203613136) to the plate. My shield is made out of a satellite dish and is already magnetic, so I'll just be able to swing it back and have it connect. If yours isn't magnetic you might have to attach another magnet or a steel plate or something to the inside of the shield, which might make it a bit more difficult to connect in one go.

Shield buddies! :hist101:
:hfive:
That's actually a great idea. I was wondering how I was going to make the harness, too, but it wasn't of much consequence. I just got my sled *cough cough* shield base in the mail today, and it is in fact magnetic.

Thank you both for awesome ideas!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This isn't a 100% cosplay ask, but it's related to costuming so I figured it would fit here.

This November is the latest Wasteland airsoft game. It's held every year in Ocala, FL by Mindgame Productions and is basically a roleplay-heavy airsoft game set in the Fallout universe. They encourage players to dress up in their best post-apocalyptic gear (though some guys are lame and just come in their regular airsoft gear), and this year they're going further by giving credits toward in-game upgrades (like unlocking power armor and magazines for your fully automatic weapons) for creating good costumes.

I have a Swiss M32 canteen and cup that I want to carry, because it looks very post-apocalyptic with its beaten up metal and flaking paint. Unfortunately, the Swiss meant for their canteens to be carried in their soldiers' breadbags and thus they never made a belt carrying pouch for them. I'd greatly prefer a belt pouch, and I figure there's no time like the present to learn to sew.

The idea I had for a pouch is based on the Soviet flyashka canteen pouch that's been in use since before World War II. It's a simple cotton pouch shaped to fit the canteen, with the belt loop formed from a strap that attaches at two points on the back of the pouch. The strap also comes up over the neck of the canteen and optionally fits to a button on the front to secure it.

Does anyone know where I could find a good guide to sewing something like this by hand? I don't need it to be fancy or look perfectly factory-stitched (it's a post-apocalyptic thing, after all), so it just needs to securely hold the canteen with the strap around the neck and have a belt loop at the back. Also, does anyone have a recommendation for what material I could use? I think the actual Soviet canteen pouches are made from cotton duck.

In case it helps, measurements taken from the internet give it as 6 inches tall, 3 1/4 inches across, and 2 1/8 inches front to back. The cup's measurements don't really matter, as the canteen is meant to nest in the cup and the whole thing put into the pouch.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 15, 2015

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

chitoryu12 posted:

This isn't a 100% cosplay ask, but it's related to costuming so I figured it would fit here.

This November is the latest Wasteland airsoft game. It's held every year in Ocala, FL by Mindgame Productions and is basically a roleplay-heavy airsoft game set in the Fallout universe. They encourage players to dress up in their best post-apocalyptic gear (though some guys are lame and just come in their regular airsoft gear), and this year they're going further by giving credits toward in-game upgrades (like unlocking power armor and magazines for your fully automatic weapons) for creating good costumes.

I have a Swiss M32 canteen and cup that I want to carry, because it looks very post-apocalyptic with its beaten up metal and flaking paint. Unfortunately, the Swiss meant for their canteens to be carried in their soldiers' breadbags and thus they never made a belt carrying pouch for them. I'd greatly prefer a belt pouch, and I figure there's no time like the present to learn to sew.

The idea I had for a pouch is based on the Soviet flyashka canteen pouch that's been in use since before World War II. It's a simple cotton pouch shaped to fit the canteen, with the belt loop formed from a strap that attaches at two points on the back of the pouch. The strap also comes up over the neck of the canteen and optionally fits to a button on the front to secure it.

Does anyone know where I could find a good guide to sewing something like this by hand? I don't need it to be fancy or look perfectly factory-stitched (it's a post-apocalyptic thing, after all), so it just needs to securely hold the canteen with the strap around the neck and have a belt loop at the back. Also, does anyone have a recommendation for what material I could use? I think the actual Soviet canteen pouches are made from cotton duck.

In case it helps, measurements taken from the internet give it as 6 inches tall, 3 1/4 inches across, and 2 1/8 inches front to back. The cup's measurements don't really matter, as the canteen is meant to nest in the cup and the whole thing put into the pouch.

I found one on eBay for less than :10bux: Unless you really want to make one I would suggest a local Army / Navy / Surplus store or order online.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

They're cheap, as mentioned, but it's really just a tube. Take a worn out old shirt, cut a sleeve off, sew it closed at one end, hem the top.... voila. Belt loops are easy, and youtube can show you all the various steps.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gegil posted:

I found one on eBay for less than :10bux: Unless you really want to make one I would suggest a local Army / Navy / Surplus store or order online.

You found a pouch or a canteen? I should clarify that I've already got the canteen and cup. What's lacking is a belt pouch designed for the canteen, as the Swiss Army was meant for it to be carried in the breadbag and thus never made a belt pouch for it.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

chitoryu12 posted:

You found a pouch or a canteen? I should clarify that I've already got the canteen and cup. What's lacking is a belt pouch designed for the canteen, as the Swiss Army was meant for it to be carried in the breadbag and thus never made a belt pouch for it.

I found the Pouch. I just googled "soviet canteen pouch" and got several hits

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gegil posted:

I found the Pouch. I just googled "soviet canteen pouch" and got several hits

Yeah, I have two Soviet/Ukrainian canteens with pouches (and a third incoming). I was going to use that style of pouch as the reference for making one to fit the Swiss M32 canteen. The Swiss canteen is a different shape and size from the flyashka pouch, especially with the nested cup.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Kind of a silly, general costuming question. I have hair that's a few inches longer than shoulder length. Am I going to be able to cram this convincingly under a bald cap if I confine it all under a wig cap, or is the combination going to look lumpy and weird?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
In my experience it looks lumpy and weird. I have seen people with longer hair do a ponytail low in the back of the head tucked down their shirt, and use a bald cap with sufficient length at the back to cover it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks for the advice!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Argh argh argh I built my Arthas helmet with space left in for the wig but I must have squeezed it in just a hair too much while heating it and now it's uncomfortable with the wig, wahhhh. So that's something to figure out. But it looks good, I think.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

McPantserton posted:

Argh argh argh I built my Arthas helmet with space left in for the wig but I must have squeezed it in just a hair too much while heating it and now it's uncomfortable with the wig, wahhhh. So that's something to figure out. But it looks good, I think.

Does the helmet ever need to come off for photos? If not, why not just build the wig into the sides of the helmet near the bottom. I know how I would do it, I just can't think of how to describe how I would do it....

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I think that's basically what I'm going to do, except I suppose I might want to wear just the wig so I'm thinking I'll pick up some long wefts and Velcro them in the back or something. It's only tight in the temples, I should have the space for hair lower.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I have a fake armor question. I decided to make a couple armor pieces out of craft foam--the thin kind you would find at Michael's or a similar craft store. I'm sealing the bigger piece with regular Elmer's school glue and then I'm going to paint it and try to make it look like metal; the smaller piece I'm going to try and make look like leather. I was looking at spraypaint at Home Depot and was wondering if Rustoleum would work or if there's a better paint. I've never done this before and I don't want it to look horribly fake but I feel a little directionless at the moment.

1. Is sealing it with glue going to be okay? I'm doing this because otherwise it'll take forever to paint it, right?
2. What paint should I use?
3. How do I distress it to make it look like metal? I'm also hoping to have an insignia in the center made out of wire and I have no idea how to attach it.
4. I still haven't decided how I'm going to have the armor piece attached. As I envision it, it's going to be a wide fat V shape going over my chest, and I don't want to just hang it around my neck like a sign.

It's not really cosplay, but I'm aiming for something inspired by Mad Max Fury Road, and I figure starting now will give me plenty of time to mess up before Halloween.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

my cat is norris posted:

Kind of a silly, general costuming question. I have hair that's a few inches longer than shoulder length. Am I going to be able to cram this convincingly under a bald cap if I confine it all under a wig cap, or is the combination going to look lumpy and weird?

Do French braid like a crown and tuck the ends under the braid. Then use a wig cap. This is how people do it in the theater.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I will find someone who braids. :smith:

Hair management is not a skill I'm known to possess.

Thank you for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

my cat is norris posted:

I will find someone who braids. :smith:

Hair management is not a skill I'm known to possess.

Thank you for the tip!

You tube has many tutorials. It doesn't have to be pretty .