Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Wintering Stinkbug posted:

So if yospos is building some forum software, that means we have to use mongo right?

redis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Mongosteen db

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
CEO Ellen Pao revolutionizes Reddit with new database system

MongolDB

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
yosthreads.php will use the sql front-end for tab-delimited text files.

tabs will be forbidden in posts

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

I had sex with a 32-year old at 16. SA is run by SJWs. Liking 16-year olds is not pedophilia. I hate your pronoun. I like young boys. I donate to the NAACP and probably NAMBLA too.

The Management posted:

yosthreads.php will use the sql front-end for tab-delimited text files.

tabs will be forbidden in posts

Maybe we can use blockchain technology to facilitate a cost to posts to ensure higher quality and distributed moderation. I'll start the wiki.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

reddit is a bare-text-and-image site with a dev budget prob comparable to the gdp of several nations, yet has a mobile site that brings an iphone 4 to a grinding halt

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

So if yospos is building some forum software, that means we have to use mongo right?

i hope we do so it loses your posts

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

and node.js for that bare-metal performance

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Breakfast All Day posted:

reddit is a bare-text-and-image site with a dev budget prob comparable to the gdp of several nations, yet has a mobile site that brings an iphone 4 to a grinding halt

remember when reddit hired some guy to "research cryptocurrencies" and he collected a salary for 6 months for producing a half-assed javascript bitcoin miner in a few weeks and then jerking off alone until someone noticed he didn't actually do anything and he got fired

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

shaggar will write it from the ground up using java enterprise beans and sql server

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I would use mvc and host it on azure

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

same

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Mongosteen db

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
get tbc to write it. php and plaintext passwords never hurt nobody.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Shaggar posted:

what would you name it?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
postr

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

shitpostr

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Luigi Thirty posted:

remember when reddit hired some guy to "research cryptocurrencies" and he collected a salary for 6 months for producing a half-assed javascript bitcoin miner in a few weeks and then jerking off alone until someone noticed he didn't actually do anything and he got fired

the 'bighead' strategy

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://www.redditblog.com/2014/12/announcing-reddit-notes.html

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i'm everything in this post

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

/r/legaladvice (or /r/bestoflegaladvice) is legit the most hilarious thing on reddit.

Like for example the dude that was told to call every divorce lawyer in town for a free consult so that his wife would be unable to divorce him because all of the lawyers in town would have a conflict of interest. That didn't really go how he expected it to.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
that guy has got to be trolling or he's just the dumbest person ever

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

/r/legaladvice (or /r/bestoflegaladvice) is legit the most hilarious thing on reddit.

Like for example the dude that was told to call every divorce lawyer in town for a free consult so that his wife would be unable to divorce him because all of the lawyers in town would have a conflict of interest. That didn't really go how he expected it to.

what happened

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

indigi posted:

what happened

quote:

A while back I asked for advice on a good divorce attorney in another sub. Someone said:

"You don't have to hire the best or most expensive attorney. You need to consult with the top family attorneys in town. The lawyer cannot represent your ex to be if you've discussed your marriage with them. It's a conflict of interest. Read up on it, there are a few tricks you can pull to help even the playing field"

Based on the advice I got I spent the next few weeks talking with like 30 divorce attorneys in town, so that my wife and her dad would not be able to hire one. I never hired an attorney myself because I could not afford one but my wife found one anyway.

Apparently they found out what I did, probably because it was so hard for her to get an attorney, and today I just got hit with a motion for attorneys fees saying that what I did was abuse of process, an attempt to deprive and interfere with justice, bad faith, and a bunch of other stuff. And that I have to pay part of her attorney fees because I made it more expensive for her.

Is there something I can do to stop this? This is in Utah.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

still amazing. the system works

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

This is why you don't base your legal strategy on episodes of the sopranos.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tbf he said he got it from some "other subreddit," probably theredpill

also re:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

that guy has got to be trolling or he's just the dumbest person ever

check his post history https://www.reddit.com/user/Riorank/submitted/

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

As a Millennial I posted:

tbf he said he got it from some "other subreddit," probably theredpill

I think it was exmormon

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

he sold bitcoins via paypal and the guy chargebacked him and now he owes paypal $5k.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I think it was exmormon

oh yeah lol

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah my friends and I all had livejournals back before Facebook was a thing, it was cool

Yeah I think I kept livejournal until myspace? Anyway my favorite things about livejournal (unironically) were:

1. good fat client so I could save draft posts
2. easily filter default friends list feed
3. communities/groups were easy
4. no alglolrithms
5. I was a mini livejournal super star
6. surprisingly made irl friends because of livejournal
7. lj pal bought me my forums account :allears:
8. current mood + current music

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lmao

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

reddit is good

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

how can anyone say reddit is not a gift to the Internet after this

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I read and post on reddit regularly and this is one of the reasons

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Every video I watch, every snippet I see and every interview I read about Ellen Pao induces a hatred I haven't felt for someone in a long time.

It's not an implicit hatred like I would have for a murderer, psychopath or a bully. No, it's a lot more nuanced than that.

It's the same type of hatred that you get when someone cuts you in line at the supermarket. That type of anger that induces a little whence in the back of your neck and a shiver of anger echoing through the vestiges of your body.

That anger stems from my feeling that she's the personification of all the ills of society. She represents the corporate greed corroding the foundations of the things I love, the person looking for a handout, the one who's always looking to blame others instead of their own ineptitude, the person quick to use lawyers and sue instead of having a personal conversation. She's an adulterer and a liar and she's abused the goodwill of our society for her own personal gain.

In short, she's the type to cut her piece of the pie from the middle and still get mad when you eat the crust. And it's these very things about her that represents the moral decay I despise.

I honestly can say this with a straight face. I despise her. I don't wish her any physical harm because I'm not that type of person, but I just wish she would disappear from this website and by proxy my life in general.

She needs to be fired; since she's held the position of CEO bad things have happened here. Negative things. It's time Reddit shed her and move on.

Go away Pao.

EDIT:
Thanks for the gold (I guess?). At the end of the day Reddit is just a website, but for me and many others we've spent a lot of time here and have a lot invested in the culture. If things don't work out then I will eventually go to another website. Not a terribly big deal.

But I guess metaphorically speaking, it would be the same thing if the CEO of NASCAR decided to enact rules that went against the culture of the fans. They'd be pissed right?

And the only people who would be trivializing their emotions would be those that weren't big NASCAR fans to begin with.

So I get that many people wouldn't understand. But to the dude who's been wearing the same Dale Earnhardt Jr T-shirt to the Daytona 500 for the last 15 years he's gonna be pissed and I guess in some ways that's me. I'm flawed, I shouldn't be this invested, but that's just me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's like they can almost see that the problem is "ivy league shitbags" but they miss and land on misogyny and casual racism instead

e: also laughing at dude being mad because she "quick to use a lawyer" when she actually is a lawyer whoa big surprise she participates in lawsuits there

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

As a Millennial I posted:

Every video I watch, every snippet I see and every interview I read about Ellen Pao induces a hatred I haven't felt for someone in a long time.

It's not an implicit hatred like I would have for a murderer, psychopath or a bully. No, it's a lot more nuanced than that.

It's the same type of hatred that you get when someone cuts you in line at the supermarket. That type of anger that induces a little whence in the back of your neck and a shiver of anger echoing through the vestiges of your body.

That anger stems from my feeling that she's the personification of all the ills of society. She represents the corporate greed corroding the foundations of the things I love, the person looking for a handout, the one who's always looking to blame others instead of their own ineptitude, the person quick to use lawyers and sue instead of having a personal conversation. She's an adulterer and a liar and she's abused the goodwill of our society for her own personal gain.

In short, she's the type to cut her piece of the pie from the middle and still get mad when you eat the crust. And it's these very things about her that represents the moral decay I despise.

I honestly can say this with a straight face. I despise her. I don't wish her any physical harm because I'm not that type of person, but I just wish she would disappear from this website and by proxy my life in general.

She needs to be fired; since she's held the position of CEO bad things have happened here. Negative things. It's time Reddit shed her and move on.

Go away Pao.

EDIT:
Thanks for the gold (I guess?). At the end of the day Reddit is just a website, but for me and many others we've spent a lot of time here and have a lot invested in the culture. If things don't work out then I will eventually go to another website. Not a terribly big deal.

But I guess metaphorically speaking, it would be the same thing if the CEO of NASCAR decided to enact rules that went against the culture of the fans. They'd be pissed right?

And the only people who would be trivializing their emotions would be those that weren't big NASCAR fans to begin with.

So I get that many people wouldn't understand. But to the dude who's been wearing the same Dale Earnhardt Jr T-shirt to the Daytona 500 for the last 15 years he's gonna be pissed and I guess in some ways that's me. I'm flawed, I shouldn't be this invested, but that's just me.

so basically "loving bitch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Last Chance posted:

so basically "loving bitch"

• Locked thread