Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Eric the Mauve posted:

Eh. They're too drat common. I mean they're kinda cool and dangerous and different but in practice what happens is you can never ever safely jump anywhere near a marble biome, you can only use your hook to get around or every jump is risking instant unavoidable death. Once the novelty's worn off it gets to feeling kind of bullshit.

Fakeedit: should have started this post with "1.3 is SO FREAKING COOL, but..."

I wish their gaze was an actual projectile or something because it loving sucks to be turned to stone under water by something that's off screen when you don't even know you're near a marble biome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
The only one that I'd say is really essential are the vampire knives.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Zemyla posted:

For some dumb reason I don't know how to fix, I can't swing a weapon while jumping anymore. I click and click but nothing registers. If I'm swinging something with autoswing, though, it continues to swing. I can't place items while jumping, either. Is anyone else having this problem?

Requoting myself. Does no one else really have this problem?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

President Ark posted:

unfortunately you cannot get those if you have corruption instead of crimson

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xenaero posted:

WHAT

I'm constantly being amazed by stuff you can pull off in this. I mean, I'm building a skycastle after the endgame and I'm still finding new stuff.

Well, might have to say goodbye to my doors on the edges.

My skycastle has no doors. It's all teleporters if you want to get in or out.

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

President Ark posted:

The Rainbow Gun is very good during invasions, put one behind you and it'll keep your back safe.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So since certain ores are equivalent to each other, like iron and lead, does each map only pick 1 of each tier? Since I have been playing I don't think I have seen any of the other type of ore on each map I have explored.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So since certain ores are equivalent to each other, like iron and lead, does each map only pick 1 of each tier?

Yes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So since certain ores are equivalent to each other, like iron and lead, does each map only pick 1 of each tier? Since I have been playing I don't think I have seen any of the other type of ore on each map I have explored.

Yes but you can get the other type from the extractinator or chests.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Yes but you can get the other type from the extractinator or chests.

As well as fishing crates and certain slimes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Zemyla posted:

Requoting myself. Does no one else really have this problem?

Sorry man but I've never heard of it. Probably need to do the standard verify game cache, uninstall and reinstall thing :negative:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

neurotech posted:

How do you build automatic doors? Is it just two pressure plates, one either side of a door wired up?

Supremezero posted:

Looks like he's just using actuators with pressure plates. They aren't doors, they're walls that disappear.

Yep, the pressure plates you recover from the random traps (brown and gray) will only trigger on players stepping on them. (You can also buy them from the mechanic.) Set them next to the "door", and put actuators from the mechanic on the "door" tiles, then wire them all together.

With and without wires showing.

And you've got doors that aren't actually doors, so friendly NPCs can't open them, and bad NPCs can't break them down. They work fast enough that even Shield of Cthulhu dashing from a block away passes through the "door" without slowing down, and the door closes right behind you.

v1 did use pressure plates and doors, but friendly NPCs could still open them, and enemies could still bash them down.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 6, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The weird thing is despite my world being dominated by tungsten, I found a tiny vein of silver near my spawn area. Do the alternate ores spawn in small amounts or was this some world generation glitch?

VVV It was literally right at the start and I remember mining it up. Haven't done any sifting stuff.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 6, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've never seen alternate ores spawn ever. Did you accidentally place the silver yourself somehow? You could have gotten some from sifting silt or something.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
sometimes slimes can drop alternate versions of ore. I've gotten a few tungsten pieces from them in my tin/lead/silver/platinum one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samopsa posted:

http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/ This is an online inventory editor. Upload your .plr file and edit it, download and put it back. Works like a charm. I used to to cut out some grinding (i.e. biome keys, chlorophyte ore, souls of night/light. boss summoning items, buffing potions you get for fishing).

Since this already exists, does anyone know of a map viewer already done? I've only just now discovered where my caves were and I'm in hardmode.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RareAcumen posted:

Since this already exists, does anyone know of a map viewer already done? I've only just now discovered where my caves were and I'm in hardmode.

https://terramap.codeplex.com/ Despite the fact that it says it's up to date with 1.3.0.1, it'll work with 1.3.0.3, though there might be some oddities.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I had an insane run of luck where I found a Godly Code 1 on a travelling merchant, a Superior Slime Staff and a Murderous Harpoon all dropping within an hour on my solo world, so I took advantage and proceeded to murder Brain of Cthulhu and the Queen Bee enough times to have a full set of Bee Wax and Crimtane stuff.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No doubt a big nerf to them is coming soon, but for now I for one am enjoying the hell out of my grotesquely overpowered yo-yo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

No doubt a big nerf to them is coming soon, but for now I for one am enjoying the hell out of my grotesquely overpowered yo-yo.

What could you even do to them without absolutely destroying them though?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Tried taking on the Dungeon boss with some friends earlier. Two of us in full crimson gear and another in meteorite with the gun. I had a gun from the crimson orbs with +damage on it and I think I did 1-2 damage per hit against the boss. Crimson cloud did about 1-3 per hit and we didn't even do 1k damage before we died. What the ever loving gently caress? We had minor issues with the Eye of Cthulhu (mainly due to bad armor) and we pretty badly destroyed the Brain (several times) but the dungeon boss is just total poo poo, unless the hands die pretty quickly. I guess it's on to hell instead to collect Hellstone to make the gear from there so we can retry the dungeon later. Or maybe the Jungle. Is the Queen Bee worse than Skeletron? I was able to make an imp staff from my trip to hell and the little guy seems promising and if the bee armor set lets me summon even more imps that'd be awesome.

How low is the Medusa Head drop rate on normal? I'm sorely tempted to farm one because they sound kinda amazing.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Autoswing is in the game, but only for some swords. Things like picks and hammers always have autoswing, though.

I know it's in for some swords, which makes it even more idiotic that they still do this. Yes Redigit, please make me click repeatedly to attack if I don't want to fight using a mining pick, or get lucky enough to fish up a Falcon Blade.

As much poo poo as Chucklefish get for Starbound issues Tiy's at least smart enough to add that QoL aspect. That 1.3 didn't include such a change is serious bullshit.

Trasson posted:

I can't speak for other bosses, but Expert Eye of Cthulu was actually really fun.

Except he's almost impossible to dodge.

Omi no Kami posted:

...so I spent 20 minutes excavating a huge empty space around my grinder to ensure nobody spawned where my minecart couldn't reach, and when I finished, I found like five metal detectors sitting among all the mined blocks and gel 0_0

I think I missed this in past pages but what's a grinder in Terraria?

The Duggler posted:

I died at the edge of hell in my Mediumcore game and ragequit and then immediately realized that my stuff is going to disappear.

I don't know if I can start again

Soft/medium/hard core should be renamed to "sane," "dumb," and "you're loving retarded" to more accurately describe them. I tried mediumcore once when it was new and after losing half my gear in a cave I gave up on it forever.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Nuebot posted:

What could you even do to them without absolutely destroying them though?

The glove seems insanely overpowered

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Holy poo poo Duke Fishron does a lot of damage. I was advised to try outrunning him, but even lightning boots on ashphalt isn't fast enough to get out of his charge, and he kills me in about 4 hits.

I was hoping for the Tsunami but I don't think that's going to be happening at this point. Not sure what to grind to get up to him since I'm pretty sure lunar event stuff is after him. Guess I'll grind turtle shells and make beetle armour, see if that's enough.

kazil posted:

Now make it into a bag

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

kazil posted:

As over powered as this neat little trick I just found out?

I can do it pretty consistently now. Yoyo's will just slide straight through one brick walls if you move them fast enough and you can just freely flail it around and kill anything outside while it can't get in.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

On Expert Mode his head has super high defense while the arms are still alive, you pretty much HAVE to kill them first. I'd also recommend a proper arena and lightning boots or similar for his phase 2, since his headspin is now VERY quick. Also, if the world you're playing on is Crimson, I'd recommend making a secondary Corruption world just to get the Expert EoW item, which is pretty much super essential in Expert.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I've just finished laying minecart track all the way from one side of the underworld to the other. I'm almost ready to fight the Wall of Flesh.

What should I be focusing on doing once hardmode is activated?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Progress on the sky pagodas.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

neurotech posted:

I've just finished laying minecart track all the way from one side of the underworld to the other. I'm almost ready to fight the Wall of Flesh.

What should I be focusing on doing once hardmode is activated?

You'll want to smash some demon altars and work your way up to getting a full set of Adamantine or Titanium armour, as well as whatever weapons suit your tastes to fight the mechanical bosses.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tanith posted:

Progress on the sky pagodas.

I'm pretty jealous of people who are actually good at designing things in these games. All I can make are stacks of boxes full of crap.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Is there any sort of background like wooden beams that I can use to make tree trunks I can walk by without having to grow a drat tree? I would like to stroll through the topiary garden I'm trying to make without smashing face-first into a tree.

Nuebot posted:

I'm pretty jealous of people who are actually good at designing things in these games. All I can make are stacks of boxes full of crap.

Thank you :)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

What's the point of playing with that option if you're just gonna work around it though? I like death carrying the penalty of dropping cash since I feel bad dieing but its not tedious as hell trying to get all my gear back.

I don't always work around it. It's just nice early on because once I have a grappling hook I stop being super careful about laying out non-hook-accessible paths because it's just way more efficient. Once I have enough spare stuff for an "oh poo poo" hook and a recall potion, losing my stuff hasn't been a problem.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

https://terramap.codeplex.com/ Despite the fact that it says it's up to date with 1.3.0.1, it'll work with 1.3.0.3, though there might be some oddities.

Excellent. I just want to find my spider den so I can get a Stylist unlocked for when I eventually submit to building more ugly base to home them all in.

:negative:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's really no reason to nerf them because they're at best on par with the stupid poo poo that ranged/magic/summons can do later on. The Terrarian is an insanely powerful endgame weapon but so are all of the others(and I would contend that it's probably not as good as the options the other weapon types have available). Them being an actual good melee option as you're going through the game is something good instead of something bad, since relying on melee for most of the game was like deliberately handicapping yourself before.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Tanith posted:

Is there any sort of background like wooden beams that I can use to make tree trunks I can walk by without having to grow a drat tree? I would like to stroll through the topiary garden I'm trying to make without smashing face-first into a tree.

You can use a wood wand to place tree blocks, then use actuators from the mechanic to turn those blocks into background.

Edit: VVV- Forgot about the loom.

Ssthalar fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 6, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Living Wood Loom lets you make living wood backwalls.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
setting up a Blood Moon defensible base you can get in and out of before you have a hook or climbing gear is so tedious, the NPCs are gonna be a blood sacrifice to alleviate my boredom.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Kanos posted:

There's really no reason to nerf them because they're at best on par with the stupid poo poo that ranged/magic/summons can do later on. The Terrarian is an insanely powerful endgame weapon but so are all of the others(and I would contend that it's probably not as good as the options the other weapon types have available). Them being an actual good melee option as you're going through the game is something good instead of something bad, since relying on melee for most of the game was like deliberately handicapping yourself before.

They might lower the drop rate a little

I already have gotten like 3 eyes of cthullu and 10+ krakens out of only like three eclipses and not many more dungeon dives.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So, if I trigger the Celestial Pillars, is there a way to make them go away other than killing them all and then the moon lord if I can't handle things?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Not 100% sure if I like this wrecked ship I've started yet but one thing is for sure.

The Guide has to go. probably by force.

(I should be ready for hardmode now, though I do need to dig a trench...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Tried running the 1.3 tshock on my ubuntu VPS and it's way laggier than 1.2. Oh well, it did just come out, probably it'll improve.