Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bloomington posted:

Medusa petrifying you from offscreen while you're in midair and dying instantly.

Marble and granite biomes are rough. Started a new expert mode world with a friend and oh boy we were exploring this huge cave system that has overlapping granite, spider and marble biomes and while fending off a bunch of spiders a lone medusa just shows up and murders us both. Expert mode is fun if you don't mind dying a lot, if you're playing a medium character who drops all your items, it's just insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So you only get crimson or corruption in a single map, yes? So you can only have EoW or BoC in a single map?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So you only get crimson or corruption in a single map, yes? So you can only have EoW or BoC in a single map?

Correct. You can't spawn them with the relevant spawning item unless you're in the correct biome, either.

e: Actually if for some strange reason you want to do all the work involved, transplanting a Corruption biome into a Crimson world and then summoning Eater of Worlds there SHOULD work, far as I know.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Expert mode is fun if you don't mind dying a lot, if you're playing a medium character who drops all your items, it's just insanity.

Pffft, it's fun to do mediumcore on expert but it helps to have friends for a while so if you die the option of wormhole potioning to your friend when you revive is an option. After a while it's easy enough to run in and grab your stuff and mirror home when you die later.

But be prepared to go very slowly, it's really tough.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I have everything I need for the phone except for the angler and traveling merchant stuff... I really wish there was a non-RNG way to rock this.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I died at the edge of hell in my Mediumcore game and ragequit and then immediately realized that my stuff is going to disappear.

I don't know if I can start again

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

No Safe Word posted:

Pffft, it's fun to do mediumcore on expert but it helps to have friends for a while so if you die the option of wormhole potioning to your friend when you revive is an option. After a while it's easy enough to run in and grab your stuff and mirror home when you die later.

What's the point of playing with that option if you're just gonna work around it though? I like death carrying the penalty of dropping cash since I feel bad dieing but its not tedious as hell trying to get all my gear back.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

No Safe Word posted:

If you didn't ALSO drop the stuff you had equipped I might play medium. But since you do, running back to get your stuff is even more of a pain in the rear end. It just makes it really not fun in my opinion. Even if you potion back there's a fairly good chance of getting one shot by a slime or something because now you have no armor and no weapon to defend yourself. At least I miss my gold when I lose it but if I want it back I don't have to go through an even worse run.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

So I have everything I need for the phone except for the angler and traveling merchant stuff... I really wish there was a non-RNG way to rock this.

Screw that, edit them. waiting for that would take ages, luckily I've the materials needed if you want them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So my cat hit some keys that turned on a frame-rate display on the lower left. How do I turn it off again?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vargs posted:

Gonna play through this game again with a couple buddies due to the new update. Now that it's been live for a little while, what's the verdict on expert mode? We're interested in some of the new features it brings, but if the extra difficulty just feels like dumb bullshit where that isn't worth doing then maybe we'll pass.

I'd recommend making an expert world after beating Plantera or thereabouts just to kill the Wall of Flesh and get the extra accessory slot.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zereth posted:

I was aware, but not of what Skeletron's was, so i was guessing. Is his charge move not actually different from the normal mode one? I guess the answer for that person's problem is "run away better".

why aren't you using pots/planters?

I suppose because it looks better that way.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

The Moon Monster posted:

I'd recommend making an expert world after beating Plantera or thereabouts just to kill the Wall of Flesh and get the extra accessory slot.

Does that one work when you take it to a not-expert world?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

So my cat hit some keys that turned on a frame-rate display on the lower left. How do I turn it off again?

Start pressing F keys. I think it's F9.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Lakitu7 posted:

The extra alot does not work on a normal world. You can't even change the item in the slot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lakitu7 posted:

No, the slot will be grayed out and whatever accessory is in it won't work on non-expert worlds.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Lakitu7 posted:

Nope!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Ugh, I forgot how burned out I get trying to contain the corruption/crimson after the wall. I should probably just stop being attached to my worlds and just loot them for what I can before moving onto the next. Using bombs to dig 4 wide tunnels to hell is easy enough but everything else gets overrun and there isn't poo poo I can do about it. By the time I have it all contained, my world will be practically empty from all the digging.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

DarthJeebus posted:

Ugh, I forgot how burned out I get trying to contain the corruption/crimson after the wall. I should probably just stop being attached to my worlds and just loot them for what I can before moving onto the next. Using bombs to dig 4 wide tunnels to hell is easy enough but everything else gets overrun and there isn't poo poo I can do about it. By the time I have it all contained, my world will be practically empty from all the digging.

Don't sweat it until you get a super crazy drill later on that makes it trivial.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

DarthJeebus posted:

For what it's worth, I've been playing on a multiplayer server that's been running 24/7 and nobody killed any mech bosses for 3 days and there was still plenty of grassland left over and the jungle was fine. People are waaaaay too afraid of those eating the world.

I mean, other than the jungle there really isn't much you lose, and the jungle takes so long to convert that you'd have to leave it on for weeks before you lost most of it, and I have to imagine you'd kill a mech boss and stop it before then.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DarthJeebus posted:

If you kill Plantera, the corruption/crimson and hallow spread rates will slow down to what it was before you started hardmode. At that point, you don't have to worry about containing them anymore. And if things really get bad, you can use the Clentaminator to help fix things.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Good call, I ended up editing the phone in, because holy cow.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Lakitu7 posted:

Wow they really buffed Destroyer since last time I played. I really thought well fed, ironskin, regen, magic power buffs + spooky armor set + magnet sphere + paladin hammer would be enough to win without a whole lot of prep but apparently not! Those things just pound me with damage even though I'm using equipment from my old character that's a few tiers above what I'm supposed to have. Does it basically require an arena now? What's the go-to strategy?

Last time I played Golden Shower would just murder it but I read that it was nerfed into the ground. Is that still better than the above?

My surefire strategy is just build a rope 200 blocks or higher above ground, and the destroyer can't reach you. Stay perched up there and shoot down with whatever you got. Climb up and down to avoid the lasers. When you're running low on health climb down and heal back to full from all the dead probes. It's even easier if you have the nimbus rod, just shoot it twice right above you and all the multihits will wreck it.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I got burned out on Terraria last time because I thought the whole "corruption continuously spreads making GBS threads up your world" thing was a bad mechanic I had no fun engaging with; does 1.3 do anything to change this?

Russian Remoulade fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 6, 2015

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

The Crooked Warden posted:

I got burned out on Terraria last time because I though the whole "corruption continuously spreads making GBS threads up your world" thing was a bad mechanic I had no fun engaging with; does 1.3 do anything to change this?

From 1.2, killing hardmode bosses slows the spread and you can buy an item that instantly changes a large portion of any biome into another.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

jetz0r posted:

That's my main problem with the bigger maps. The underground is so empty. I started out fresh after this patch in a medium expect world, and finding any ores was a huge pain. So i switched over to a small world and found more iron in an hour than I had been able to collect in the two days of exploring the first world. A good ore haul for a trip was 2 or 3 bars, making tools was hard, and finding enough of the higher ores to make armor would have taken forever.

So I switched over to a small expect world, grabbed some mobility items from another save, and continued on.

Here's my :effort: base. The main neat things are my super-market style automated glass doors to keep NPCs from falling into the death pit below the base, while letting me run through without pausing.

How do you build automatic doors? Is it just two pressure plates, one either side of a door wired up?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

neurotech posted:

How do you build automatic doors? Is it just two pressure plates, one either side of a door wired up?

Looks like he's just using actuators with pressure plates. They aren't doors, they're walls that disappear.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Okay, is there a trick to catching a truffle worm? I just want to fight Fishron and sitting around in a mushroom biome for ages just isn't working.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

legoman727 posted:

Okay, is there a trick to catching a truffle worm? I just want to fight Fishron and sitting around in a mushroom biome for ages just isn't working.

First off it needs to be an underground mushroom biome, second off you should make sure you at least have a lifeform analyzer to help you know if one is around. One of those teleport rods that drop from chaos elementals will help immensely because you need to be quick to get a truffle worm, but the things can take a while to drop.

E: Oh yeah, you will want a whole drat lot of mushroom biome. Clentaminating a bunch of the jungle biome will help, but you could alternately make a long rear end group of bridges out of mud to run along so there's room for the worms to spawn.

Akett fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 6, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I wish fishing for quest fish wasn't such a poo poo. I had a fishing pond right next to my house for a surface forest quest fish. Sat down and spent the whole in-game day fishing. I got several gold crates and rare equipment fish. Not a single quest fish.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Samopsa posted:

http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/ This is an online inventory editor. Upload your .plr file and edit it, download and put it back. Works like a charm. I used to to cut out some grinding (i.e. biome keys, chlorophyte ore, souls of night/light. boss summoning items, buffing potions you get for fishing).

Thanks for this, this is freakin amazing.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

King Doom posted:

Just build a decent sized box big enough to be inside and still have enough room to avoid his body - the drones are kept out by the walls, and they do the bulk of the damage.

This worked and wasn't a lot of effort at all. Thanks!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I wish fishing for quest fish wasn't such a poo poo. I had a fishing pond right next to my house for a surface forest quest fish. Sat down and spent the whole in-game day fishing. I got several gold crates and rare equipment fish. Not a single quest fish.

Is your house high up? Surface means *surface* (found this the hard way).

With the fiberglass rod and enchanted worm bait I usually catch the fish within a couple of minutes. If I don't it means I'm in the wrong biome.

What's the IP for the Goon server? I tried the one posted early in the thread and couldn't get it to work.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I keep being amazed by how much cool poo poo has been added to this game completely for free since I last played. I just found out about paint and I'm amazed. I thought I would have to tear up every crappy grey brick my house is made out of to make it not boring, but instead I can just paint them! There's so many options for decorating and building in this game, its great.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Greece biome is pretty terrifying, the Medusas are a real bitch to fight.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Xenaero posted:

Don't sweat it until you get a super crazy drill later on that makes it trivial.

Or hold out for the drill rig mount that trivializes all digging forever :getin:

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Supremezero posted:

Looks like he's just using actuators with pressure plates. They aren't doors, they're walls that disappear.

WHAT

I'm constantly being amazed by stuff you can pull off in this. I mean, I'm building a skycastle after the endgame and I'm still finding new stuff.

Well, might have to say goodbye to my doors on the edges.

edit: How do you get keys for the themed chests? I haven't seen one drop anywhere yet.

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 6, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hunter Noventa posted:

Greece biome is pretty terrifying, the Medusas are a real bitch to fight.

Eh. They're too drat common. I mean they're kinda cool and dangerous and different but in practice what happens is you can never ever safely jump anywhere near a marble biome, you can only use your hook to get around or every jump is risking instant unavoidable death. Once the novelty's worn off it gets to feeling kind of bullshit.

Fakeedit: should have started this post with "1.3 is SO FREAKING COOL, but..."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Xenaero posted:

WHAT

I'm constantly being amazed by stuff you can pull off in this. I mean, I'm building a skycastle after the endgame and I'm still finding new stuff.

Well, might have to say goodbye to my doors on the edges.

edit: How do you get keys for the themed chests? I haven't seen one drop anywhere yet.

Once you get into Hardmode, they all have a 1/2500 chance of dropping from any enemy from the specified biome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Except meteorheads.

Meetyourdemize showed a neat way to collect them afk using the ocean biome but it requires traps mined from the lizhard temple.