Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MikeC posted:

Quick witcher universe lore question.

Are Succubus inherently evil in any way? I don't remember if we ran into one in W1 but the ones in Kings and Wild Hunt seem to be like benign for the most part. They just seem to lure men, seduce them, and basically trade "energy" for mind blowing sex. It also appears they don't kill unless they have to as they like to build a stable client base.

Is there anything in the books to suggest that Geralt should actually just kill all succubus he meets or is the letting them go options that are presented in the game the non dick choice for Geralt?

Succubi in the Witcherverse are totally benign, sapient beings who just really, really like to get their bone on. They don't even drain life energy or anything like that, it's all to sate their libido.

The Beastiary states that their only "victims" are mainly people trying to kill them, or people who keep coming back to them again and again until they just die from the exertion. And even then, succubi feel like poo poo if their partners die on their account just like any normal human would; several even try to arrange proper burials and funerals for the deceased. They're mainly a threat because they tend to incite lynch mobs by people who'd rather see them as evil devils corrupting brave and innocent people with their sexy hoofbeast wiles.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What bothers me about succubi is how the hell anyone could have not noticed a woman with beast legs walking around town. Can succubi disguise themselves with illusions?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Baron Bifford posted:

What bothers me about succubi is how the hell anyone could have not noticed a woman with beast legs walking around town. Can succubi disguise themselves with illusions?

A long skirt and a hat like Sile de Tansarville's would probably work too. Or a Broche turban, maybe Roche is a male succubus and he's hiding his horns under it.

On a more serious note I wanted to ask Comte another favour!
Can anything be done so that you can choose which alcohol gets used when you meditate? Alcohest is a lot rarer to loot now and quite a few enhanced potions have it in the crafting recipe. I'm having to drop any alcohest whenever I meditate as it'll default to using that if you have it and I want to keep them to make my enhanced potions when I've collected the other ingredients. I have a load of dwarven spirit and I'd like to be able to set that as my meditation alcohol of choice.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I shouldn't have expected a woman who allegedly loves me very much to subject me to one of the few things I hate, and in reality probably fear, because I wouldn't let her have her way and win an argument just because.

"Just agree with me that I'm right and you're wrong!" Getting involved with magic users is bad dumb and dangerous.

but like don't you see that you both have a valid viewpoint and she reasonably asks you to just leave it alone? if you act like an adult and leave it alone she gets over it. there's no 'letting her have her way' lol she's allowed to have feelings.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So I more or less just finished the Bloody Baron Questline (Now I'm level 9, almost 10).

What I think about the game so far:

Storytelling is excellent, the Baron especially really seemed like a real person. In another game he would have been a snidely whiplash evilly twirling his mustache, but here he's got excellent motivations you can really appreciate and feel for.

The game world is really fantastically rendered. Despite pretty much everything I've seen so far being a horrible swamp it looks fantastic. The sound is brilliant and with a good pair of headphones on and the lights off it can really draw you into the experience.

Melee combat feels really fantastic, but the crossbow feels really underwhelming. Especially when you consider the fact that there's a whole skill tree dedicated to it. What a waste of points that would be.

When you pick up a book/note/paper it should really bring it up immediately to read. I don't like picking stuff up and then having to hunt through my inventory to find it.

There needs to be a way to see all the stats on a weapon before you buy the blueprints for it. I have no idea if I'm buying something that's 15 levels too high for me or not.

I've played exactly three games of gwent and lost every one. Don't really see the point in it. It seems like every game is going to be everyone blowing their load on the first round, and whoever has the most damaging cards in their deck will nearly always win, which in my case, because I haven't invested in a bunch of cards, will be the NPCs.

Should have a way to respec points, don't like it when games don't have that.

Holy poo poo those Crones.

Overall, I've really, really enjoyed the game. How far along am I roughly? Seems like I'm approaching the end of the first act here.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Overall, I've really, really enjoyed the game. How far along am I roughly? Seems like I'm approaching the end of the first act here.

you're nowhere yet. the main quests in the 3 big regions are probably just over half the game's story

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Conversely, how anybody can take the line that Yennefer is just an independent and assertive woman that nerdlings can't stand the idea of is beyond me. She's a gigantic rear end in a top hat. That's 100% clear and very much not virginal gamers reading a strong woman as threatening. She is grade-A fuckhead from tip to toe and completely by design.

:allears: (not even a shred of sarcasm)

ZearothK posted:

Slightly? It is a medic card, it is a hell of a lot more useful! Triss is the weakest hero card in the game.

Haven't gotten Triss' yet but I'm inclined to believe you. Basically it would probably have to have built in scorch to be the same level. Even at 10+ power, it's not as good as a 7 power medic.

cams posted:

you should all be ashamed of yourself for the last however many pages this has been going on

Nah waifu wars were the ultimate endpoint of this thread anyway. It just means the posting will probably die out fairly soon.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

If you had to split the main questline into acts it would look like

Prologue: Opening Cinematic + Tutorial Dream + White Orchard

Act I: Velen and Novigrad
Act II: Skellige
Act III: Ugliest Man Alive + Isle of Mists
Act IV: Defense of Kaer Morhen + Revenge against The Hunt and Crones
Act V: Confronting Imlerith's final attack and facing the White Frost

Ugato posted:

Haven't gotten Triss' yet but I'm inclined to believe you. Basically it would probably have to have built in scorch to be the same level. Even at 10+ power, it's not as good as a 7 power medic.

Triss is just a plain 7 melee hero card, worse than any other hero in the game, I don't even like Triss and I felt more embarrassed for her when I saw her Gwent card than when her fingernails got ripped off by some punk witch hunter.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 6, 2015

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Nitrousoxide posted:

Should have a way to respec points, don't like it when games don't have that.

There are vendors who sell potions of clearance for 1000 gold. Kiera Metz is the first person you'll come across who'll sell one. There's a guy in Novigrad and an alchemist in Skellige who also sell them but unless you've finished Kiera's storyline she'll be your best bet this early on.

Nitrousoxide posted:

You've a long way to go yet. Act 1 is all the main questlines in Velen, Novigrad and Skellige. Act 2 doesn't start until you do the Ugly Baby quest.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I mean part of the reason why Yen and Geralt are the more entertaining couple is because there's seriously not enough Triss content in comparison so the deck was stacked against her but that's out of our hands.

Wasn't there some talk about adding more Triss content to even things out a bit? But yeah, as it is now, the game goes out of its way to show you that you were supposed to pick Yen, and gently caress you if you didn't.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

if people must talk about waifus, i must say that i am DEEPLY disappointed how abruptly and anti-climatically my encounters with rosa var attre, the rich fencing girl, went

i felt like she and geralt really had something :(

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I'd rather go with Shani tbh, and they should bring her back in one of the expansions. At least give her a medic Gwent card or something.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The respec potion is one of the many things the game doesn't tell you about and it's something CD Projekt should work on for the Enhanced Edition. Given all the alchemy ingredients in various flasks and bottles I'm sure there are people who never learn about the existence of those if they don't visit forums etc. Other things like that is holding the attack button when on a horse to slow down time near enemies for easy targeting, the boat's turbo mode with double shift, crossbow working underwater, the whole potion and bomb regeneration thing while meditating etc. I'm sure there are tons more.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'd love if the game set first mutagen from a creature aside as a quest item, I think I've combined leshen mutagen sometime before I've noticed I can use it for a decoction..

I'd also like to have a power (either default or unlocked via potion tree) to "sniff" the ingredient I'm looking for. Also alcohol recipes. Making white gull was needlessly unfun thanks to having to visit any tavern possible hunting those 3 kinds of alcohol required.

And another thing - if an alchemist has an ingredient I need to make something just prompt me about buy, don't require me to go to shop tab.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You can guess at the level for crafting diagrams just by looking at the armor/damage rating.

It is pretty lame that there are named swords, but most of them appear repeatedly with different levels. There are a few unique/plot swords but they stay useful for 3-4 levels at most before being outclassed by the next either gear upgrade. I feel video game guilty about getting some previous family heirloom and then finding that it's useless an hour later.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Palpek posted:

The respec potion is one of the many things the game doesn't tell you about and it's something CD Projekt should work on for the Enhanced Edition. Given all the alchemy ingredients in various flasks and bottles I'm sure there are people who never learn about the existence of those if they don't visit forums etc. Other things like that is holding the attack button when on a horse to slow down time near enemies for easy targeting, the boat's turbo mode with double shift, crossbow working underwater, the whole potion and bomb regeneration thing while meditating etc. I'm sure there are tons more.

All these things (except the boat thing, I'm still not sure that's actually faster) are explained in tutorials or loading tips.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Crigit posted:

The plague that the mage who owned that tower was working on had nothing to do with the one the pesta conjures up. There's no reason to think his notes on curing an actual real illness would be in any way helpful in dealing with a magical illness conjured up by an evil ghost

When Kiera gets impaled on the stake in Novigrad you find out that she was going to sell Alexander's notes to Radovid to build him a germ warfare superweapon.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

GrossMurpel posted:

All these things (except the boat thing, I'm still not sure that's actually faster) are explained in tutorials or loading tips.

Except I just learned about the horseback attacking thing right now.. Thanks Palpek!

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Palpek posted:

Found the guy with SSD
At least half of those are on loading screens

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Slugnoid posted:

When Kiera gets impaled on the stake in Novigrad you find out that she was going to sell Alexander's notes to Radovid to build him a germ warfare superweapon.

Keira's quest: it means Witcher's dick is one of few things that make sorceress act good..

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Pyromancer posted:

Found the guy with SSD
At least half of those are on loading screens
Yeah, the loading screen tips are just a flash to me and even when I do catch something it's usually something obvious and not the super secret useful thing.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've found an IT magazine about polish IT companies market, and it seems that in 2014 GOG was responsible for 2/3 of CD Projekt Group profits. Anyone interested in more details?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Definitely matches Valve's experience; Steam is the vast vast majority of Valve's revenue. They don't need to ever release another game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

alex314 posted:

I've found an IT magazine about polish IT companies market, and it seems that in 2014 GOG was responsible for 2/3 of CD Projekt Group profits. Anyone interested in more details?
It's not that surprising considering that The Witcher 2 was released in 2011 and the only game they released in 2014 was The Witcher Adventure Game which was just a side project. Now if at the end of the year this was true for 2015 then it would be a different situation.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm just about ready to move on to Skellige...

:cripes:

One thing I REALLY appreciate about this game: The quest and character logs are really well done, so you can actually take long breaks, come back and find/read your way back into things. Most of these long RPGs I just drop after the first burnout.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

if you use a potion of clearance, do you still have to unlock higher level skills, or do they stay open after you use the potion?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

GhostDog posted:

I'm just about ready to move on to Skellige...

:cripes:

One thing I REALLY appreciate about this game: The quest and character logs are really well done, so you can actually take long breaks, come back and find/read your way back into things. Most of these long RPGs I just drop after the first burnout.

I still had some "who?" moments with some of the characters in Skellige later.

Attitude Indicator posted:

if you use a potion of clearance, do you still have to unlock higher level skills, or do they stay open after you use the potion?

You need to unlock them again.

E: vvvvvvv It actually makes perfect sense though? Would be kinda silly if all you needed to do to unlock every skill was put enough points into that skill tree and reset. Running with only tier 4 skills isn't the point of the skill system.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 6, 2015

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

bah! polish design!

E: Oh, isn't one of the devs in this thread? When are you going to patch that pig quest? wanna examine that pig

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel like I have a ton of crafting plans that could be awesome but I have to wait 10+ levels to use them. Maybe I'm being too thorough? I'm not gonna let that level 15 monster get in my way of that treasure chest and leave empty-handed, do you even know who I am?!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I feel like there should be an achievement for decapitating 3 pirates with a single swing on horseback.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Attitude Indicator posted:

bah! polish design!

E: Oh, isn't one of the devs in this thread? When are you going to patch that pig quest? wanna examine that pig

Speaking of bugs, I ran into one this morning during the quest with Triss where you're clearing a path through the sewers to help the mages flee Novigrad, you come to a room full of rats and if you don't run right through that door the instant you see it, Triss will stand in the door way and there's no way around her. It's a good thing there's a checkpoint right before that gets triggered, I had to reload from it 4 times this morning before I managed to make it through that door first.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

I feel like there should be an achievement for decapitating 3 pirates with a single swing on horseback.

and another for a six-for-one rotfiend chain explosion

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

So I'm trying to get every bit of performance I can, but it's not quite enough. I can get a stable 22fps in most situations but I'm eager to get more if I can. I'm thinking my video card isn't quite good enough, or my cpu. I'm not sure.

I'm running with a gtx 750, i5 3750k 3.4ghz, clocking it to 3.9. I'm using msi afterburner to overclock the gpu a bit, but this is a budget card that wasn't built with that in mind, the performance gains before it starts over heating are negligible. I've put physx on the CPU and I have a balanced profile in the nvidia control panel. In the witcher 3, I'm running all minimum except textures at medium. Postprocessing is set on the low end profile. I've given the witcher 3 real-time cpu priority in the task manager. Both the OS and TW3 are loaded on a solid state drive. I have 8gb of ram. From what I can tell, the main problem seems to be my video card, as it's using 100% of available resources according to afterburner. Again, I top out at 22fps during gameplay.

Other discussions talking about specs indicate I should be doing better for performance. Anyone got a clue what the problem is? My cpu doesn't seem overly burdened and nothing but the gpu seems to be chugging, but it's really chugging. Its brand new and above the minimum specs from what I can tell yet I'm wondering if i made a mistake in buying it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

hemophilia posted:

So I'm trying to get every bit of performance I can, but it's not quite enough. I can get a stable 22fps in most situations but I'm eager to get more if I can. I'm thinking my video card isn't quite good enough, or my cpu. I'm not sure.

I'm running with a gtx 750, i5 3750k 3.4ghz, clocking it to 3.9. I'm using msi afterburner to overclock the gpu a bit, but this is a budget card that wasn't built with that in mind, the performance gains before it starts over heating are negligible. I've put physx on the CPU and I have a balanced profile in the nvidia control panel. In the witcher 3, I'm running all minimum except textures at medium. Postprocessing is set on the low end profile. I've given the witcher 3 real-time cpu priority in the task manager. Both the OS and TW3 are loaded on a solid state drive. I have 8gb of ram. From what I can tell, the main problem seems to be my video card, as it's using 100% of available resources according to afterburner. Again, I top out at 22fps during gameplay.

Other discussions talking about specs indicate I should be doing better for performance. Anyone got a clue what the problem is? My cpu doesn't seem overly burdened and nothing but the gpu seems to be chugging, but it's really chugging. Its brand new and above the minimum specs from what I can tell yet I'm wondering if i made a mistake in buying it.

I had excellent results going into the ini and turning the foliage density radius down a bit (and, I think I fiddled with particle density). It does mean you get a bit of grass pop-up in Velen, but otherwise I didn't notice too much of a difference.

Also running it in 720p helped.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

GrossMurpel posted:

E: vvvvvvv It actually makes perfect sense though? Would be kinda silly if all you needed to do to unlock every skill was put enough points into that skill tree and reset. Running with only tier 4 skills isn't the point of the skill system.

Higher levels are unlocked by points being put into the skill tree on the left, so of course if it resets to 0 points in the tree you only have the root level skills available.
However, if Attitude Indicator means the amount of skills you can activate on the right side, that doesn't reset of course.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I had excellent results going into the ini and turning the foliage density radius down a bit (and, I think I fiddled with particle density). It does mean you get a bit of grass pop-up in Velen, but otherwise I didn't notice too much of a difference.

Also running it in 720p helped.

I think I'd rather run at 20fps than play 720p, but I might power my resolution to 1600x900. Do you have those in ini settings?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

hemophilia posted:

I think I'd rather run at 20fps than play 720p, but I might power my resolution to 1600x900. Do you have those in ini settings?

Hey man, don't knock my silky smooth low res framerate. I mean sure the game looks like this:

but it's buttery as hell

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

^^^ that looks like an unique experience. How does witcher sense look?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Hey man, don't knock my silky smooth low res framerate. I mean sure the game looks like this:

but it's buttery as hell

morrowind mods lookin good