Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

You should have vote kicked him for being afk after the first boss. Your dumb group that vote kicked you probably would have hit yes.

Wrong. Should have votekicked just before the last boss. Might as well use their fairy while she's around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Velveteen posted:

These allagan tomestone of poetics you get from dungeons and beast dailies are used only for getting some gear right? Would the main quest give me equivalent power gear or should I go ahead and buy a piece or two. I've only recently hit 50.

Spend it on gear.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Halatali NM, me levelling my BLM for The Professional title. SCH healer put themselves on follow on me, and told me to keep up behind the tank, so they could AFK. Because they were doing us all a favor by being there.

/angrynerdmode on

Cue me doing my level best to DPS at the very limits of my range, using the leash distance of SCH and SCH's fairy to leave fairy just outside of range for healing. And to lock fairy and SCH outside of the first boss's door. Got kicked, sent a report.

Have a screenshot for funsies:

("friend" doesn't make any sense in this context, this was a DF group, I didn't know any of them. Except you, Zyra Zephyr. Now I know you. gently caress you.)

Oh hey, I'm the white mage in that screenshot :v:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nobody gives a gently caress you goddamn primadonna.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Why is the new crafting jewelry made by loving carpenters

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Zerilan posted:

Had my first failed run at Bismarck EX and I think it's convinced me to install ACT. Our dps seemed a lot worse than it should have been for everyone's gear, and I'm not sure how much of it was me not doing as much damage as I should be.

http://ffxiv-app.com/

I vastly prefer it, and it finally updated for Heavensward. No DX11 support yet, I think, but the developer is working on it. Same functionality as ACT pretty much, but in a modern package and not designed for everquest. :v: Maybe someone here can vouch for it not being as accurate as ACT or some other problems.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Do any of these apps work in fullscreen? I can't play in windowed cause my performance tanks due to ancient gpu.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I somehow managed to fly through a hole in West Coerthas' invisible barrier while afk with autorun on.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Halatali NM, me levelling my BLM for The Professional title. SCH healer put themselves on follow on me, and told me to keep up behind the tank, so they could AFK. Because they were doing us all a favor by being there.

/angrynerdmode on

Cue me doing my level best to DPS at the very limits of my range, using the leash distance of SCH and SCH's fairy to leave fairy just outside of range for healing. And to lock fairy and SCH outside of the first boss's door. Got kicked, sent a report.

Have a screenshot for funsies:

("friend" doesn't make any sense in this context, this was a DF group, I didn't know any of them. Except you, Zyra Zephyr. Now I know you. gently caress you.)

So... you were being a dick on purpose and got vote kicked for it? Looks like it's working as intended.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

cheetah7071 posted:

Why is the new crafting jewelry made by loving carpenters

Because carpenters got gently caress all to do with the high end crafting gear last time, so thank goodness we have something important to do this time?

Not to betray my ignorance or anything, but has anyone here done the fancy math on just how Whistle and the associated skills are useful? I was playing with it last night and had trouble feeling out how those skills improved over the standard "hasty touch forever" rotation.

(For instance, how large the "large increase" is when you expire your whistle stack, and whether or not something like Wheel counts for that?)

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Fister Roboto posted:

Get 600 GP first of all, shouldn't be hard with the first tier of gathering jewelry and some light melding. Also don't use toil, it's a huge waste of GP for little payoff. The most reliable method is usually going to be 3x methodical with a discerning eye on each, and two collections. At 57 you'll be able to substitute a discerning eye for single mind, which will allow you an extra collection. If you can't hit the min rarity with that method, get more perception.

Thanks for this, much appreciated!

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

If you guys can't get onto Excal, you should roll on Sarg and join GoonTroop LS. Send a tell or Moogle Mail to Valicious Crisu

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Alt image for Alex gearsets

Ninja came out looking fantastic imho

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
holy gently caress those fists

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
It's about time Bard got an armor set with a big stupid hood.

e: So is 3.01 going up tomorrow? I know that's when Alex normal is due to go out but the announcement for tonight's maintenance doesn't mention anything about an update.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 6, 2015

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm shocked they haven't snuck in a keyblade-ish weapon with some of the gear designs they've got going on

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I had kind of a lovely experience doing keeper of the lake for the first time last night. I'm pretty inexperienced in this game so I didn't know I had to keep heavy thrust on at all times. I know there is a poo poo ton I don't know and I'm totally open to constructive criticism but there's no need to be a big dick about stuff.

I kinda get the impression that people are more like "loving retarded dragoons" and would rather talk poo poo than help new players improve.

Also sometimes I have a little trouble getting hit by AoEs and such because sometimes there is so much poo poo going on the screen at once that I have a hard time telling what's going on.

tl;dr guys I know I'm bad at video games, no need to be a dick about it, we're not all final fantasy pros

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

kirbysuperstar posted:

R2 or L2 plus L1/R1 will cycle left and right through them, L1+Dpad Up/Down goes through the enmity list.
Does this work the same way regardless of filters?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
http://www.garytay.net/ffxiv_macro/

this is a great site

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mo0 posted:

Because carpenters got gently caress all to do with the high end crafting gear last time, so thank goodness we have something important to do this time?

Not to betray my ignorance or anything, but has anyone here done the fancy math on just how Whistle and the associated skills are useful? I was playing with it last night and had trouble feeling out how those skills improved over the standard "hasty touch forever" rotation.

(For instance, how large the "large increase" is when you expire your whistle stack, and whether or not something like Wheel counts for that?)

The Whistle stack hitting zero naturally will never ever happen and no Nymeias Wheel doesn't count for that. Nonetheless Whistle can still be pretty good. The main draws of Whistle are:

A)The ability description does fuckall to explain this but when it says certain actions are more potent when Whistle stack is a multiple of 3 it means progress increasers are 50% stronger. If the Whistle stack is at 9 or 6 or 3 you can use two Careful Synthesis 2s to do the work of three.

B) Nymeias Wheel is a very CP efficient durability restore and is especially helpful in the new 35 durability crafts.

C) Satisfaction is a good CP restore to use if stack is a multiple of 3 and you don't need any more Careful Synthesis 2s.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

But on a happier note I'm almost through the pre-HW stuff and I'm at Chrysalis. It took me most of my 3 day weekend to get through 2.1-2.4 though. The MSQ can be a bit of a slog, but thankfully the story at least starts getting interesting around the time the Domans show up.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Gammatron 64 posted:

I had kind of a lovely experience doing keeper of the lake for the first time last night. I'm pretty inexperienced in this game so I didn't know I had to keep heavy thrust on at all times. I know there is a poo poo ton I don't know and I'm totally open to constructive criticism but there's no need to be a big dick about stuff.

I kinda get the impression that people are more like "loving retarded dragoons" and would rather talk poo poo than help new players improve.

Also sometimes I have a little trouble getting hit by AoEs and such because sometimes there is so much poo poo going on the screen at once that I have a hard time telling what's going on.

tl;dr guys I know I'm bad at video games, no need to be a dick about it, we're not all final fantasy pros

That you admit that you're not perfect makes you better than 95% of loldrgs

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
L1+ pad does, which is why I often open with an aoe even if it doesn't make sense from a dps standpoint; no clue about the other combination

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

That you admit that you're not perfect makes you better than 95% of loldrgs

I honestly think that lots of problems in the world would be solved if more people had a bit more humility and didn't think so highly of themselves

The Dunning-kruger effect is real, man.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Rei_ posted:

Real talk has anyone ever been asked to leave a dungeon? I've seen people get super salty over healers contributing to DPS but normally roulette is pretty chill

I joined an in-progress Dzemael intending to help a friend replace a tank, got a different group with a healer who wouldn't stop using fluid aura even when we asked them multiple times to stop. Ended up telling the party either they go or I go, we vote kicked them and replaced them with a healer friend of mine, and finished the run.

e: no idea why the post submitted before I finished.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

vanbags posted:

I can't seem to find the weapons for sale, only the armor from Auriana. Is there not a vendor that sells the weapons for a flat exchange of poetics?

No, for some mysterious reason you have to buy 10 Rowena's Token of Poetics from the regular gear vendor for 130 tomes each and then exchange them with the vendor standing right next to her for a weapon. It was the same for soldiery weapons but the new law weapons are just a flat 570 tomes without any token nonsense, so I really have no idea why it's like that.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Begemot posted:

No, for some mysterious reason you have to buy 10 Rowena's Token of Poetics from the regular gear vendor for 130 tomes each and then exchange them with the vendor standing right next to her for a weapon. It was the same for soldiery weapons but the new law weapons are just a flat 570 tomes without any token nonsense, so I really have no idea why it's like that.

You also need the encrypted tomestone, don't forget!

E: which comes from either final coil or the crystal tower weekly quest (do each of the CT 'stages', Labyrinth/Syrcus/World of Darkness, and get an upgrade item for poetics gear OR a tomestone)

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I was just sitting here at work thinking about video games and realized that early access started 17 days ago and since then I've already clocked ten days of /ptime.

What the hell is wrong with me? :negative:

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I know there is a poo poo ton I don't know and I'm totally open to constructive criticism but there's no need to be a big dick about stuff.

Vitriolic players aside, it's good that you want to learn, and here's the basics of level 50 DRG:

- Keep Heavy Thrust up at all times, period ("clipping" it to re-apply with a few seconds left is fine)
- Keep Disembowel (+10% damage), Chaos Thrust (the purple DoT), and Phlebotomize (the red DoT) up at all times on all bosses
- Begin boss fights with Heavy Thrust > Chaos Thrust combo > Phlebotomize > Full Thrust combo, then pick what to do based on what buffs/debuffs are about to expire
- Use every off-GCD ability (Leg Sweep, Internal Release, Blood for Blood, etc.) on cooldown, unless you know the boss is about to become invulnerable or whatever
- Always use Life Surge on Full Thrust
- Try to use Power Surge on Jump, rather than Spineshatter Dive
- When fighting three or more mobs at once, use AOEs; Heavy Thrust > Ring of Thorns (boosted) > Doom Spike (a bunch) > repeat when HT is about to fall off
- Never use Ring of Thorns without the Heavy Thrust combo bonus
- Always try to get the bonus positional damage from Heavy Thrust (flank) and Chaos Thrust (rear)

Don't worry if it takes a while to get used to all of that. The most important bits are keeping Heavy Thrust and Disembowel active, since that's a flat +30% damage right there.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

e: beaten with more specific advice but I tried to give a general overview and wrote a lot more extraneous :words: so whatever

Gammatron 64 posted:

In a way it's kind of impressive that you managed to get all the way to Keeper of the Lake without finding out Heavy Thrust is something you want up at all times. People shouldn't be dicks about it, though. (Am I being a dick about it? I'm not trying to, honest.) Lately I've started trying to pay more attention to what the DPS players in my groups are doing and pointing out if there's something they don't know or somewhere they're dropping the ball, but I try not to be a jerk about it; I just want to help them be better at their class and help us get through the instance faster.

People can get real deep into finding the absolute optimal rotation for maximum DPS and that's all well and good but it's almost never actually necessary and there are only a couple of things you really need to know to be decent at almost any DPS class.

1. If it has a timer, you always want to keep it active 100% of the time or as close to 100% as you can get. There are some exceptions here--some debuffs are only valuable in certain situations and aren't necessarily worth keeping up (Bard's Rain of Death debuff, for example, doesn't do much in the vast majority of content where accuracy isn't really a thing) but anything that boosts your damage, lowers enemy defenses, or does damage over time you want 100% uptime on if at all possible. Any moment you don't have your buffs/debuffs/DoTs up is time when you're not doing as much damage as you could be.

2. As a corollary, while you want to make sure your timed effects always stay up, you don't want to reset the timers until they're just about to wear off. Reapplying them in the middle of their duration is a waste both of the effect itself and of the extra damage you could be doing by using a move with a higher potency. These two points together form the basic rotation for almost every DPS class (except BLM sort of). The basic flow is like this: Buff/dot/etc combo>basic damage combo until the buffs/dots/etc are about to fall off>buff combo>damage combo>etc. So, for DRG, you want to start off by applying Heavy Thrust, then do your Chaos Thrust combo and put up Phlebotomize, then do your Full Thrust combo until you need to reapply the Chaos Thrust combo, and so on. Oh also some skills have bonus damage/effects when you hit an enemy from certain angles and you want to make sure you hit those whenever you can.

3. As a rule of thumb, anything you have that's off-GCD and has its own cooldown (i.e. Jump or Blood for Blood) you want to use whenever it's available. Try to weave those skills in between your GCDs (never miss a GCD if you can help it, though some of DRG's skills have long enough animations that you won't be able to help it) and take advantage of them whenever they're available. Every second you're not using a skill when it's off cooldown is another second before that skill resets the next time, which over the course of a fight means fewer chances to use that skill and less overall DPS. However, it's important to note that's just a rule of thumb, and while there's never a situation where you don't want to keep Heavy Thrust etc. up (technically if an enemy is going to die in less than like ten seconds and there aren't any other enemies around putting up your buffs isn't optimal but that's beside the point) there are situations where you might want to sit on a cooldown, like if certain skills synergize particularly well (Bards using Barrage with Empyreal Arrow) or if you're saving your buffs for a particular mechanic (such as Titan's heart or the buff extension vortex in the Chyrsalis). And then of course some skills have more situational/non-damage uses and you're going to want to save those for when they're useful (no point using Invigorate until you're missing 500 TP for it to restore). Knowing when exactly to use your cooldowns is one of those things you just have to figure out through experience, but the key point here is you want to use your skills rather than sitting on them in case you need them later, because just sitting on them is wasted DPS.

tl;dr: Keep your buffs up, use your cooldowns, never miss a GCD. So long as you keep those things in mind you should do just fine. It's fine if you mess up, and it's probably going to be a while before you have the timing for everything down, but so long as you try to follow those rules you'll start to get more comfortable with your rotation and become The Best Dragoon You Can Be.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 6, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

eh, I ran into a Paladin in Dusk Vigil last night who never used Flash. People can get pretty far in FFXIV doing the bare minimum, that's not so bad until you hit the EX Dungeons for the current content cycle

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

pksage posted:

Vitriolic players aside, it's good that you want to learn, and here's the basics of level 50 DRG:

- Keep Heavy Thrust up at all times, period ("clipping" it to re-apply with a few seconds left is fine)
- Keep Disembowel (+10% damage), Chaos Thrust (the purple DoT), and Phlebotomize (the red DoT) up at all times on all bosses
- Begin boss fights with Heavy Thrust > Chaos Thrust combo > Phlebotomize > Full Thrust combo, then pick what to do based on what buffs/debuffs are about to expire
- Use every off-GCD ability (Leg Sweep, Internal Release, Blood for Blood, etc.) on cooldown, unless you know the boss is about to become invulnerable or whatever
- Always use Life Surge on Full Thrust
- Try to use Power Surge on Jump, rather than Spineshatter Dive
- When fighting three or more mobs at once, use AOEs; Heavy Thrust > Ring of Thorns (boosted) > Doom Spike (a bunch) > repeat when HT is about to fall off
- Never use Ring of Thorns without the Heavy Thrust combo bonus
- Always try to get the bonus positional damage from Heavy Thrust (flank) and Chaos Thrust (rear)

Don't worry if it takes a while to get used to all of that. The most important bits are keeping Heavy Thrust and Disembowel active, since that's a flat +30% damage right there.

Thanks, that info is really helpful! It seems I've been doing a lot wrong. I've been using power surge w/ spineshatter, for instance.

When it get back from work, I'll post my hotbars for critique \ suggestions. I have it for both PS3 and PC, but I've been playing on PS3 as of late, even though it comparatively sucks, I like playing on my couch with a pad where it's comfortable. The problem with the cross hotbar though is that even with the L2+R2 shortcut thingy, my cross hotbar is totally full and some things are going to have to go once I hit 51+.

I think the hardest thing is going to be keeping my buffs up. I often forget to do them. I generally use blood for blood, internal release, life surge.

IIRC my cross-class skills are second wind, fracture, internal release and bloodbath. Is that OK?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've been using power surge w/ spineshatter, for instance.

Not a big deal, Jump is just higher potency and thus more bonus damage when doubled with Power Surge.

Gammatron 64 posted:

IIRC my cross-class skills are second wind, fracture, internal release and bloodbath. Is that OK?

The really important ones are Internal Release and Mercy Stroke (Marauder 26). Second Wind is also very good. The other two slots are whatever you want, more or less. Make sure you get Mercy Stroke in there, though, it's a ton of free damage.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

pksage posted:

Not a big deal, Jump is just higher potency and thus more bonus damage when doubled with Power Surge.

The really important ones are Internal Release and Mercy Stroke (Marauder 26). Second Wind is also very good. The other two slots are whatever you want, more or less. Make sure you get Mercy Stroke in there, though, it's a ton of free damage.

I checked what Mercy Stroke does and it sounds pretty good. I just need to get MRD up to 26.

The thing is though, when it comes to tank jobs, I'd much rather play PLD and I think that's going to be my next job. Always wanted to play Pally in XI, but when people told me I shouldn't bother without an Aegis or ochan I was like "gently caress that noise." However tanking looks like it's pretty difficult in this game so I dunno. In XI you would use provoke and flash a lot on a single mob and you'd be smooth sailing.

I also have MNK at 47 because I got DRG to 50 in 1.0 and used MNK to get through the MSQ in 2.0 but in retrospect having the move around a lot isn't very fun and having 2 melee DPS jobs is kind of a lovely idea even though punching people is cool.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Edit: I'm dumb, need to finish one quest :v:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Meldonox posted:

I was just sitting here at work thinking about video games and realized that early access started 17 days ago and since then I've already clocked ten days of /ptime.

What the hell is wrong with me? :negative:

I know, right? Like, what the hell did you waste those other seven days on?

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Annath posted:

So I wanted to do Halatali to kill things for my GC Log, but its not listed in my Duty Finder.

I'm level 23, so it should be there, no?

It's unlocked by a sidequest from Nedrick Ironheart in Vesper Bay.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

When it get back from work, I'll post my hotbars for critique \ suggestions. I have it for both PS3 and PC, but I've been playing on PS3 as of late, even though it comparatively sucks, I like playing on my couch with a pad where it's comfortable. The problem with the cross hotbar though is that even with the L2+R2 shortcut thingy, my cross hotbar is totally full and some things are going to have to go once I hit 51+.

Between all four controller hotbars (8 per bar, 32 slots total) you should have exactly enough space for all of your combat skills once you hit 60, minus maybe one or two of the less useful cross-class skills depending on your class. The big downside is you're probably going to need to set up a second bar you can switch to for stuff you want relatively easy access to but don't necessarily need in the heat of combat; before Heavensward I managed to fit Spint, Teleport, Return, Limit Break, and Mount Roulette onto each of my class bars, but since those five spaces are exactly what I needed for Heavensward skills I've had to shove all of them off to another bar.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 6, 2015

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

Begemot posted:

It's so that people can store them up until they can access the special tomestone required to actually purchase the weapon itself. For example, I had like 20 of those tokens saved up from dumping excess tomestones, until CT started giving the resource required to actually purchase the Ironworks weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
No Lalafells Allowed is looking for a cool and good Ninja or Monk to be our main backup, with the opportunity to move to a main slot after trialing; we'll be having multiple applicants trying for the main slot. We're a group that will be hitting Alexander content asap, and we're looking for that last person for Alex Normal now and Alex Savage in a few weeks. While we're not raiding every night, we are still committed to pushing ourselves on the hardest content; so applicants are advised to know their class and rotations as best as possible, as well as maintain good situational awareness.

I should also mention that although we are committed to doing well, having a good attitude is paramount. You could pull the greatest numbers in the game, and we'd still not take you if you're an rear end in a top hat or a defeatist. We do fun things from time to time and would not be adverse to running older content (Bahamut, EX primals for mounts, PvP even though i feel i'm the only one that likes pvp in the group) on off days or if current content is cleared.

Raid Times are Tuesday and Wednesday from 9pm EST until 12am EST. Additional raid days are on a by-case basis (if we're close to a kill, for example).

Interested parties can go here, message me in-game (Rafzakael Talket), or message me here on the SA forums!

now back to the alexander hype and dragoon chat

• Locked thread