Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

That's not Ouchi -- whoever that poor bastard is, his feet have been amputated, and Ouchi's never were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

godamn, why keep him alive...

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HonorableTB posted:

Wyntyr, I was born and raised in LaGrange and I never heard about any of that. We did have our own spooky stuff though, like notorious psychic/"seer" Mayhayley Lancaster just north of us. I can do a write up about her if anyone's interested. She was a very old woman who was involved in a police investigation and despite not being involved in any way, told the detectives exactly where to find the bodies of murder victims. The whole story is very creepy because she knew about things she couldn't possibly have known.

So... we are definitely not getting this write-up?

Frostwerks has a new favorite as of 12:10 on Jul 6, 2015

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Imagined posted:

I wonder if he's a big fan of Titannica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmNApZRy3wk

"He looks like a wet cigar!"

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Frostwerks posted:

I find it unnerving when posters in this thread promise us a story and then we don't get one. Where's our :ghost: Ghost Planes :ghost: post Kermit?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

I hadn't played Fallout in a couple of years, until I fired up New Vegas last week. It is uncanny how much like the wasteland ghouls that guy looks. I always figured the artists for those games just made up poo poo, but nope. That is actually how radiation zombies look.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

Seconding the desire for a write up of this!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

nockturne posted:

I find it unnerving when posters in this thread promise us a story and then we don't get one. Where's our :ghost: Ghost Planes :ghost: post Kermit?

No one posted for a while after I posted ghost planes so I feared at most my ghost plane post made you all toast :ohdear:

I'll have part two of Helios 522 done tomorrow!

edit: Wait, I forgot the whole Far Side derail, so what happened was I got bored and wandered away. :v:

Post still stands, more hypoxia tales tomorrow!

Literally Kermit has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Jul 8, 2015

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
And here it is! Normally I like to do more links and pictures, but this installment covers a lot of what should be familar ground by now.

So, anyways, :ghost: flights.

On our last adventure, an engineer working for Helios Airways accidently left the pressurize systems of Flight 522 on manual mode. The jet, nicknamed “Olympia” was put back into service and even after the routine pre-flight, after-start, and after-takeoff checks, its flight crew did not detect a problem. It’s past 9 AM in Cyprus on August 14th of 2005, the wheels are already up in the air. In less than twenty minutes, this jet would be flying out of control, its crew disabled - a ghost flight, if you will.

The engineer’s error had been a simple oversight. I can not stress this enough - this could have happened to anyone. They had been troubleshooting a reported leak that was causing door seals to freeze. Switching the pressurize system from “auto” to “manual” was done as only as part of a routine check, and only then because the test was being performed with the engines off. It was the safety check, not the repaired leak, that doomed Flight 522 (but we will be getting back to the “leaky” part, eventually).

Even so, how could the crew miss the alert three times? Here’s where we start doing some detective work, but the short answer is “they never got one” mixed in with “bad loving luck”. Fail-safes are a thing jets do not skimp on, and there’s literal miles of wire and sensors leading right into a cockpit full of warning lights and alarms should any one of them fucks up.

So first, let’s take a tour of the 737-300 - take your filthy dick-beaters off their usual place for a moment and copy-paste this into your browser, and watch this 7 minute walk around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvhC02jD6Fc

Investigators later discovered that back in 2003 another 737-300 had a pressurization fault that required an immediate emergency descent. Fortunately, the crew had noticed discomfort in their ears and were able to react in time before the plane climbed too high. It was later discovered that in this plane, the failure of the pressurization control system was traced to burnt electrical wiring in the area behind the aft cargo hold. The cause of the burning was most likely a clip or strap on this loom of wires that slowly wore down coatings and led to short circuits and the wires getting hot.

And that is all that it takes to turn the beautiful bubble you are using to flip the bird at the sky gods into a goddamn deathtrap.

The Olympia itself had an incident in 2004 where damage to an aft service door allowed a hand-sized break in the seal. Investigators at Cyprus couldn’t determine the cause between an outflow valve (another possible electrical problem) or the door opening when it shouldn’t have. This particular problem was repaired and there’s no reason to believe it contributed to the eventual crash, other than additional evidence of electrical problems. In the weeks leading up to its final flight, crew and passengers complained about the aircraft getting cold and the overall air conditioning. Within ten weeks, the Environmental Control Systems were inspected and/or repaired 7 times.

But what may really have hosed the crew over was the burnt out indicator that would have shown the cabin was unpressurized, and coupled with misunderstanding the cabin altitude warning siren as a takeoff configuration warning (which only sounds on the ground that a plane is unready for takeoff, and the plane was up in the air, so it was ignored). Shortly after this warning sounded, the captain reported it to the ground:

quote:

... the captain radioed the Helios operations centre and reported "the take-off configuration warning on" and "cooling equipment normal and alternate off line".[3] He then spoke to the ground engineer and repeatedly stated that the "cooling ventilation fan lights were off".[3] The engineer (the one who had conducted the pressurization leak check) asked "Can you confirm that the pressurization panel is set to AUTO?" The captain, possibly experiencing the onset of the initial effects of hypoxia,[16] disregarded the question and instead asked in reply, "Where are my equipment cooling circuit breakers?".[15] This was the last communication with the aircraft.[17]

One can imagine the sheer amount of dread the pit of that engineer's stomach that manifested in that instant. Only twenty minutes had passed since takeoff. Three minutes later, the plane leveled off at 34,000 feet as the autopilot kicked in.

It quickly became clear something was seriously wrong with Helios 522. The ground repeatedly attempted contact, with no success. Within ten minutes, the jet had passed into the domain of Athens' air traffic control and did not make contact. Nineteen attempts were made by Athens to contact the ghost flight, with no success. The autopilot entered the plane into a holding pattern for the Athens airport, where it remained for 70 minutes. 10:45, the time Olympia was scheduled to arrive at the airport, came and went.

Meanwhile, Athens Joint Rescue Coordination Centre sprung into action, and 5 after 11 saw two their F-16s wheels up. They intercepted 522 within twenty minutes and confirmed the worst - co-pilot slumped over in the cockpit, captain seat empty, and oxygen masks dangling in the passenger cabin. The wing relayed this to Athens and also confirmed there was no sign of terrorism that they could see. The F-16s proceeded to keep pace with the ghost flight, there being very little else they could do.

Almost half an hour after they caught up with Olympia, however, there was movement in the cockpit - a flight attendant was conscious! They must have used a portable air supply! And they were at the controls! Could there be hope yet for Helios 522?

NEXT TIME: NOPE.

Literally Kermit has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Jul 9, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

These posts are informative and appreciated. Please keep them going.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

NEXT TIME: NOPE.

Call me morbid but I laughed.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
The Mayday episode on this case is pretty good too.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
These write-ups are great: thanks Kermit! I also laughed at NOPE

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
You're the best, Kermit. :allears:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Thanks, I admit I enjoy writing them.

I have two more parts of Helios 522, then I am going to do something less depressing, like a murder.

Have we covered Leob and Leopald in a while?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Literally Kermit posted:

No, but can we do something a little more obscure? That story feels like it's been done to death.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
I've got the rest of Stocking Strangler coming up soon (I've been working 80+ hours weeks, or I'd be done already) and after that I'm likely getting into a military murder that had an excellent movie made about it... that no one watched. :shrug: I like the level of effort posting that goes into the better parts of this thread. :shobon:

Ninja edit: also possibly the time that martial law was declared on a small town in Alabama that beat Vegas to the name Sin City, and for good reason.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Literally Kermit posted:

Thanks, I admit I enjoy writing them.

I have two more parts of Helios 522, then I am going to do something less depressing, like a murder.

Just... just a murder? How about 27 to 60 murders? Marcel Petiot was also known as 'Docteur Satan'. He was an serial killer active during the worst times for police to notice a serial killer: world war two, when people were fleeing europe at less than a moment's notice, and neighbors abruptly vanishing was common in that day and age. I think Death in the City of Light was the book I read on him, an enjoyable read despite the material.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

wyntyr posted:

Call me morbid but I laughed.

Hi Morbid, I'm Ozz, and I laughed too

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hypoxia results in Cyanosis; this Condition is a darkening of the Blood caused by decreased Oxygenation (supply of Oxygen) resulting in discolouration of the Extremities; in significant cases the Entire Body may be affected by this discolouration; resulting in a Purple Person. The term of Cyanosis is derived from the word "Cyan"; Cyan is a mid way Blue with Green aspects and great Clarity; however a Cyanotic [suffering from Cyanosis] Patient is not Cyan in Colour; a Cyanotic Patient with pale skin is a mild Purple with a Blue Aspect; many parts of the Skin maintain the Original Colour of the Person resulting in an appearance of Patches; the Finger Nails and Lips express Increased Blues; they are the darkest shade. Advanced Cyanosis results in an Alarming Appearance; it is an unpleasant sight; accordingly it is a Grave Symptom; and worthy of Distress. A Purple Person must not be ignored; Emergency Services must be contacted; the Phone Number for the Ambulance in my Country is 112; I do not know what it is in other Countries; do not try to breathe into the Person's Lungs; the Oxygen that you inhale is converted to Carbon Dioxide almost immediately by your own Lungs; you will only do Harm to the Cyanotic Patient; they will not live.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Enhydra lutris posted:

Hypoxia results in Cyanosis; this Condition is a darkening of the Blood caused by decreased Oxygenation (supply of Oxygen) resulting in discolouration of the Extremities; in significant cases the Entire Body may be affected by this discolouration; resulting in a Purple Person. The term of Cyanosis is derived from the word "Cyan"; Cyan is a mid way Blue with Green aspects and great Clarity; however a Cyanotic [suffering from Cyanosis] Patient is not Cyan in Colour; a Cyanotic Patient with pale skin is a mild Purple with a Blue Aspect; many parts of the Skin maintain the Original Colour of the Person resulting in an appearance of Patches; the Finger Nails and Lips express Increased Blues; they are the darkest shade. Advanced Cyanosis results in an Alarming Appearance; it is an unpleasant sight; accordingly it is a Grave Symptom; and worthy of Distress. A Purple Person must not be ignored; Emergency Services must be contacted; the Phone Number for the Ambulance in my Country is 112; I do not know what it is in other Countries; do not try to breathe into the Person's Lungs; the Oxygen that you inhale is converted to Carbon Dioxide almost immediately by your own Lungs; you will only do Harm to the Cyanotic Patient; they will not live.

spooky

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
:ghost: Flights 3: A New Nope

We last left the doomed Helios Flight 522 in a literal holding-pattern over Athens International Airport, Greece. The plane should have landed an hour ago, but the autopilot was keeping the jet (nicknamed Olympia) up at 37,000 feet. really really high! For comparison, this is an altitude much higher than Mt. Everest, a place that happily eats the rich and spits out frozen corpse-landmarks on a regular basis.

The autopilot kicked on when the passengers and crew checked out twenty minutes in, because they were on their way to 37-loving-000 feet in an unpressurized cabin. Cypress, where 522 had originated from, was aware of the problem as it occurred and Athens scrambled two F16s to visually confirm what was going on inside the Olympia and then just sort of stare at it helplessly because there isn't much else they could do.

Meanwhile, them Duke were in a heapin' loada trouble.

But this plane wasn't going down without a fight. A half an hour after the jets intercepted 522, a pilot spotted movement in Olympia's cockpit. Someone was getting behind the controls! The old girl had life in her yet!

The black box recovered from the wreckage of the Olympia (spoilers!) helped identify this man as Andreas Prodromou, a flight attendant. Apparently he was able to recover enough to get at an emergency oxygen tank, and had either only just woken or had been trying to revive the captain for the past hour or so. He happened to be a pilot himself - a UK commercially licensed pilot, even, but unfortunately not qualified on a 737-300. Investigators would later conclude he was not experienced enough to regain control of the aircraft under the circumstances, but hosed if he wasn't going to at least try! And he was about confront what has to the top ten of all flight attendant nightmares, all at once.

Exactly one minute after Prodromou was spotted in the cockpit by the two other jets, the left engine stopped working. An hour past the time it should have landed, the plane was starved for fuel.

Prodromou used the radio to send out a total of five "MAYDAY" distress call that no one actually received (because the radio was still set for Cypress and not Athens) but nonetheless was dutifully recorded by the black box. The flight attendant became aware of the two jets outside and waved to them. The record doesn't show if he followed by throwing up devil horns, breathing on the cockpit window, and writing "YOLO" backwards on the fogged up glass, but he probably did not due to more immediately pressing concerns. You see, as soon as the left engine quit, the plane broke off its holding pattern over the airport, in a direction between "towards the mountains" and "down".

Ten minutes after he got into the pilot's seat, the right engine also sputtered out. The plane was headed towards the ground near the mountain town of Grammatiko, Greece, and there was nothing Prodromou could do about it. In what had to be an incredibly lovely four minutes, the Olympia crashed. Of the 121 aboard, there were no survivors. Another minor spoiler, I am afraid - autopsies on the bodies they could recover showed they all were most likely alive at the time of impact (there's no way of knowing who, if any, were conscious, save for our heroic flight attendant. He still did his best, though. :unsmith:

Back in Cyprus, the final casualty of Flight 522 was about to be tallied up - because Helios Airlines had some 'splainin' to do.

NEXT: CLEAN UP, ISLE επτά

Edit: unit conversion disaster relief

Literally Kermit has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Jul 11, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

:ghost: Flights 3: A New Nope
He still did his best, though. :unsmith:

For such a grim topic, coming across this made me laugh inappropriately. Well done.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Tone down the monkeycheese a bit, and those flight stories would be great posts.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Tone down the monkeycheese a bit, and those flight stories would be great posts.

Ghost Flights 3

There was a flight attendant who tried to regain control of Flight 522.

He failed.

He died screaming. No one knows if he screamed alone.

NEXT: AN AIRLINE GOES OUT OF BUSINESS, MASS LAYOFFS ABOUND

it was the "YOLO" line that pushed it over, wasn't it?

Literally Kermit has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Jul 11, 2015

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I'm enjoying the effort posts as-is. Thanks for the write-ups!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Wiggy Marie posted:

I'm enjoying the effort posts as-is. Thanks for the write-ups!

Samesies.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Cool writeup!
Sidenote: According to the Mayday episode, his fiancee was also a flight attendant aboard the plane and they speculate he may have been also trying to revive her/giving her oxygen during the mystery hour.
Supposedly one of the F-16 pilots has also later testified he saw two people enter the cockpit so he may not have died alone. :unsmith:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
^^^ :unsmith:

Thanks, I can tone the silliness down some if it is distracting.

I make absolutely no apologies about them Duke boys however. :colbert:

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Honestly I like the silliness because otherwise this is a way super depressing topic. It's such a hopeless conclusion that it's nice to laugh at something around it.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
I'm digging them as written, though I can see how some of the silliness might be a little distracting for such serious topics.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Literally Kermit posted:

^^^ :unsmith:

Thanks, I can tone the silliness down some if it is distracting.

I make absolutely no apologies about them Duke boys however. :colbert:

Tone nothing down. That post ruled.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Heaven forfend! Joking around on a comedy forum? Not on Mr. Gibbycrumbles watch!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Eh, I don't find constructive criticism unnerving.

But yeah, part 4 is brutal so far. Cleaning up after a crash is very not fun. :unsmith:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Literally Kermit posted:

Eh, I don't find constructive criticism unnerving.

Well if it isn't unnerving then it doesn't belong in this thread! :v:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I think you're doing a great job exactly the way you're writing it now. Keep up the good work and thank you!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
In what world is 37,000 feet 4 times the height of Everest?

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

Frostwerks posted:

In what world is 37,000 feet 4 times the height of Everest?

I'm guessing the world where you google "Mt. Everest elevation" and don't pay attention to the "m" following "8,848" :v:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Alain Perdrix posted:

I'm guessing the world where you google "Mt. Everest elevation" and don't pay attention to the "m" following "8,848" :v:

Yeah, well this is the world where America won the cold war, so get those Commie measurements the gently caress off my internet.:patriot:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So because Everest is 8,848 **METERS** high, that means 37,000 feet suddenly becomes four times that height?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

RCarr posted:

So because Everest is 8,848 **METERS** high, that means 37,000 feet suddenly becomes four times that height?

It does if you missed that the m was not an f. Calm down dude.