Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!

Yeah, pretty much everything good is from Pittsburgh.

Jonny 290 posted:

That tesla story is amazing and I want one now.

most people think i drive bmws because i'm an rear end in a top hat but its really because the one time i was in a serious car accident my 3 series gave its life in the exact proper way to keep me safe and alive

Yeah, my 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier did too, 60mph rollover accident and I wasn't even injured. J Bodies rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Zuck, lawful good? Really??

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

for head on collision like that guy's it matters. crumple zones and safety systems are all about spreading the acceleration of an impact out over a few more microseconds instead of it arriving in one massive neck breaking burst but in a wreck between a heavier vehicle and a lighter vehicle the lighter vehicle's safety systems have to deal with much more acceleration because the momentum of the vehicles is conserved in the resulting carblob of mangled steel and bodies.

smacking into something that doesn't move like a bridge support or trying to avoid the wreck in the first place is when the extra mass is a major liability.

ok i retract my statement

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

eschaton posted:

also, why does anyone care what zuck's ideal is or treat him like some sort of guru in this space?

he just happened to launch his hacked-together sixdegrees clone at the right time, and managed to ride the iPhone wave in a way that prevented it from going out with the tide in a couple years like every other one had. remember Friendster? Orkut? they could've been Facebook, with different timing.
Ironically, Facebook's eventual uptake with boomers seems to be what's keeping it whole, because those people don't ever stop using a thing or look for something better.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
at least it's facebook and not google plus.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
g+ ftw

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
whats the social thing i should be using to stay cool now instead of facebook?
grindr?
snapchats?
yikyak??

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bobbilljim posted:

grindr?
snapchats?
yikyak??

yo

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

bobbilljim posted:

grindr?
snapchats?
yikyak??

going outside.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

jony neuemonic posted:

going outside.
what's the hashtag for today's social event

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I MUST LOOK AT THESE PHOTOS LATER

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

*nods sagely*

yes, there i am. i remember being there an hour ago. so nice. great memories

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

wow is that an #instacube? incredible

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
ello

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

jony neuemonic posted:

going outside.

i cant go outside due to my ghostly pale exterior and bright ginger hair, what with teh hole in teh ozone layer

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

ello is teh saddest website ghost town

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

bobbilljim posted:

ello is teh saddest website ghost town

with nipples

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i use the time i used to spend chasing hashtags and favstars with jerking and cumming on my feet and the feet of my rivals

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

i use the time i used to spend chasing hashtags and favstars with jerking and cumming on my feet and the feet of my rivals
who are your rivals smythe?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

who are your rivals smythe?

mostly headmates....

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

thank you tyler riggs

Dear Progressive JPEG,

It's official! You are now a Pando member. Your payment has been confirmed and, your account is all ready to go.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Smythe posted:

with or without socks :ohdear:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

mostly headmates....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vR9Gvm5lQU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Progressive JPEG posted:

Dear Progressive JPEG,

It's official! You are now a Pando member. Your payment has been confirmed and, your account is all ready to go.

:hfive:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
what is it with pando, what like, literally is it? it just seems like that thing that waves its finger at you before you read an article "This was SHARED by a MEMBER OF OUR COMMUNITY just for YOU, PLEASE PAY US"

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sniep posted:

what is it with pando, what like, literally is it? it just seems like that thing that waves its finger at you before you read an article "This was SHARED by a MEMBER OF OUR COMMUNITY just for YOU, PLEASE PAY US"

which part don't you understand?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
ok i guess thats it but every other site has had a much more discreet way of asking i guess in my mind

hisorically

either A) honest to goodness paywall so you just read 2 sentances and tell the site to gently caress off

or B) casual donate pls buttons or SUBSCRIBE FOR BENNIES

the huge wall of guilt thing is new to me and awkward as hell

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

they likely inherited it from nsfwcorp. if youre a paying member then you can generate a link to send to a friend, otherwise the article would be blocked to them. its pretty much free targeted advertising for the site -- youre referring a friend to an article that they'd likely find interesting and implying that hey if they signed up for their own account then maybe theyd find more interesting stuff

lwn has a similar system, but lwn's paid articles are unlocked after 7 days anyway so it isnt as useful

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
every time i read a pando article or other paywalled poo poo i immediately feed it to http://archive.is out of principle

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

they likely inherited it from nsfwcorp. if youre a paying member then you can generate a link to send to a friend, otherwise the article would be blocked to them.

they only recently switched to this system, which is a lot like the NSFWCORP way

they had been posting everything for free but had also been posting a lot more "regurgitated press release" poo poo and a lot more advertisements. this is intended to let them focus on investigative journalism more. I hope it works out for them, somebody needs to be doing that.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sniep posted:

to be real that qualcom facility in la jolla or del mar or wherever that is up there in that spot far west mira mesa blvd, that area is fuckin beautiful

a nice campus is good but the thing that a summer intern at a company like qualcom gets is a goddamn paycheck that's probably actually pretty good

i know people in entertainment and publishing and advertising and they all talk about internships as times where they had to also work at taco bell or borrow more student loans because they don't get paid and that poo poo is nuts, who in their right mind charges up a credit card for "work experience"?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my firm was picked by the silicon valley innovation center to be the engineer of record for high tech civil infrastructure design and implementation

among other things, we are going to be responsible for installing radar detectors for traffic signals in the bay area

this is an improvement over the older induction loop detectors b/c they're more accurate, cheaper to maintain, and are able to make traffic measurements available to the traffic control center in realtime

traffic measurements are things like determining the speed of vehicles traveling through the intersection, vehicle counts which include type, and automatic tracking of each vehicle as they travel through the camera network via their unique radar silhouettes

that's so cool

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

kwinkles posted:

a nice campus is good but the thing that a summer intern at a company like qualcom gets is a goddamn paycheck that's probably actually pretty good

i know people in entertainment and publishing and advertising and they all talk about internships as times where they had to also work at taco bell or borrow more student loans because they don't get paid and that poo poo is nuts, who in their right mind charges up a credit card for "work experience"?

filters out the poor people. if you don't have rich parents, excess credit, a trust fund, or total faith, you don't get to work in those industries, because basically everyone (except the ones with connections) has to spend some time as an unpaid intern in those industries. if youre a minority or your parents are janitors or something you can't afford the unpaid internship so you can't get into the field

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

kwinkles posted:

i guess if there's 50 people standing beside you willing to do it and you're the only one out saying "no pay me" you might not be as attractive to an employer looking to trade experience for cheap labor

mmm i remember there was an indian tandoor place in the corner of the cafeteria type building at tthat corner far west mira mesa

that place was pretty good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Main Paineframe posted:

filters out the poor people. if you don't have rich parents, excess credit, a trust fund, or total faith, you don't get to work in those industries, because basically everyone (except the ones with connections) has to spend some time as an unpaid intern in those industries. if youre a minority or your parents are janitors or something you can't afford the unpaid internship so you can't get into the field
and thats why showbiz and fashion and government and journalism and the arts (and increasingly law and finance) are dominated by white ivy league grads from families with money

note also that most of these desirable industries require you to intern for free in cities like NYC/DC/LA/SF where the cost of living is stratospheric

the intern hustle is a terrible thing

heres the baffler laying it all out in 1997: http://www.thebaffler.com/salvos/internment-camp

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Housing bubble Update:

Remember a while ago I said I lived in a townhouse complex. An (exact replica, lol architects) complex had the model we're renting go on sale:

While they listed it as 3 bedroom it's really 2 bedrooms with a 'family room' and an 'office' that is tiny, might fit a kids bed and a dresser but nothing else if you convert it to your 'third bedroom'.

quote:

DESIRABLE TREASURE ISLE COMPLEX! 2 bedroom plus office (or optional 3rd bedroom), 2 1/2 bath! Completely remodeled kitchen in 2014 with maple cabinetry, granite counter tops, premium stainless steel appliances and tile flooring. Laminate wood flooring in living area and carpeting upstairs. New double-pane Milgard windows throughout. Private backyard and 2 car garage. Rear of home faces west with loads of natural light in kitchen/family room area and master bedroom! Brewer Island School! (buyer to confirm enrollment space). Fantastic location for young families. Don't miss it! Won't last!

some notes:

lol 'Cash Buyers only'
Brewer Island is already overcrowded and they don't guarantee a spot anymore, even if you live walking distance to the school (which this unit does) you might end up in a lottery.
notice that they bought the place in 2013 for 300,000 less than what they're asking now. 2 years, 50% appreciation in value, what bubble?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
instead of a house i'm going to buy an expensive car

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my buddy who just moved to sf wants to live on a boat now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
get a baller camper and park it in walmart forever

• Locked thread