Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Do monarchies try to actively dogpile revolutionary republics now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

VDay posted:

And Lithuania's going on a trip out East apparently.

That's kinda my fault, I've been bros with them and Poland all game. Poland helps me out when fighting Western Europe while Lithuania and I helped each other in the Caucasus.

Also that Russia was actually formed by Novgorod. And North African Castile will be the first to go, if you squint you can see a tiny OPM Tunis that used to be pretty big and has a bunch of cores all over the place. After conquering everything around, Castile left it alone for decades, so I vassalized it. :getin:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I haven't messed around with client states too much, but does a released client state count as a prince in the HRE? I'm thinking about releasing Sundgau and Freigrafschaft since they aren't connected with the rest of Austria.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
This is what happens when France loses 3 big wars in a row, badly, while Austria is being useless:

I haven't really doing much of anything in Europe, so the AI gets the full credit for that mess. The wars of religion haven't happened yet, should be fun...

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I haven't messed around with client states too much, but does a released client state count as a prince in the HRE? I'm thinking about releasing Sundgau and Freigrafschaft since they aren't connected with the rest of Austria.

Level 22 in Diplo tech and you haven't conquered your way over there? You bring shame on the House of Habsburg!

Apoffys posted:

This is what happens when France loses 3 big wars in a row, badly, while Austria is being useless:

I haven't really doing much of anything in Europe, so the AI gets the full credit for that mess. The wars of religion haven't happened yet, should be fun...

In my Japan game France is down to Paris and 2 other provinces, in the face of a terrifying GB.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Level 22 in Diplo tech and you haven't conquered your way over there? You bring shame on the House of Habsburg!

Well, this is my "Daddy Osterreich" playthrough--maintaining the independence of member states when I can help it, and squeezing all of the IA I can out of the member states bonus.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's so nice to see poo poo happening in Italy now, though so far I've only seen variations on "Italians get fat" and there has been little or no foreign incursion into the region. The usual suspects for blobbing are Savoy, Venice and the Pope.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How do I stay emperor if I convert to protestantism?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

How do I stay emperor if I convert to protestantism?

You can't, until you win the League Wars. Only Catholics can be Emperor by default, if the Protestant League wins then it switches to Protestant only (and you get a sweet Protestant Empire modifier).

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How hard is it to do that...I've never been a serious part of a league war.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sounds like I should give up the empire and convert as soon as available if I want to head the protestant league or I'll end up defaulting to the catholic league?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Sounds like I should give up the empire and convert as soon as available if I want to head the protestant league or I'll end up defaulting to the catholic league?

Who are you playing as? You don't need to head the League and you can join either League regardless of your religion. It's a religious but also political conflict, for example Catholic France might join the Protestant league because they hate Austria's guts.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

Who are you playing as? You don't need to head the League and you can join either League regardless of your religion. It's a religious but also political conflict, for example Catholic France might join the Protestant league because they hate Austria's guts.

I'm Brandenburg and I'm the emperor. I thought that the emperor automatically becomes head of the catholic league?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, the Emperor always heads the Catholic league.

RabidWeasel posted:

It's so nice to see poo poo happening in Italy now, though so far I've only seen variations on "Italians get fat" and there has been little or no foreign incursion into the region. The usual suspects for blobbing are Savoy, Venice and the Pope.

Yeah, I haven't seen any outside powers get involved in Italy. Austria is always too busy devouring German minors, France is quite a bit more docile and won't even recover it's English cores, and Naples keeps breaking free in my games.

The more games I play, the more I think that the rule about unions breaking on negative prestige really needs to go.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
After owning the game since launch, I finally completed a campaign rather than stop in the 1700s. All of the quality of life improvements really helped.

I guess this would be a typical ottomans game. I successfully Unified Islam by about 1740. I got very lucky in Iberia. Aragon broke out of union with Castille, then they fought very hard, Leon was released and with Great Britain's help - it supplanted Portugal on the mainland. Aragon then turned into spain. I was able to grab some land there and vassalize the remnant of castille through war and then reclaim it's cores while it build a substantial colonial empire (louisiana, canada, australia, etc) for me. I made some colonies in north america, malaysia and kamchatka.

I westernized by conquering wien in the mid 1500s with help from France, who later became my biggest rival, as defended for catholic faith, I had to wait for France to war some of my targets until I became totally dominant by the mid 1600s.

The last hundred years were basically striving for pretty borders and enjoying my Suez Canal.

In the final decades Ming exploded, though formerly it reached all the way to Novgorod/Scandinavia. I forced Japan and and many of the Ming successor states into Protectorate status and wiped out Hungary before running out of time.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
My Prussia game boiled down to France and Austria banging up on Bohemia an France becoming HRE.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

TTBF posted:

After that I finally learned my lesson and ignored the continent, bee lined for colonizing the Caribbean, and got the entire Caribbean colonial region. At which point the achievement didn't fire. I'm guessing it means the trade node, but I'm kind of burned out on that particular achievement.

I think I almost missed out on that achievement in my Dutch run because there are a couple of provinces that don't look like they are in the Caribbean but actually are. Double check the region map.

Guildencrantz posted:

I'll SHOW THEM ALL :unsmigghh:

The Union of Rome. :ussr:

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Guildencrantz posted:

Wow, Ironman Byzantium is fun as hell. The start is rough, then you eventually get some absolutely obscene bonuses, especially when it comes to manpower.

Unfortunately, as I entered the lategame, my attempts to recklessly blob into Europe ~recreate the Roman Empire~ have increasingly been thwarted. Whenever I expand, all of Western Europe, including Mega-France, dogpiles me with a massive coalition. The last one thoroughly kicked my rear end and I had to let go of Hungary and Vienna.

But the war exhaustion and the negative prestige had a side effect. Now I'll show them.

I never knew revolutionary governments got such amazing buffs!!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Shayu posted:

I never knew revolutionary governments got such amazing buffs!!

Yeah, wow. What's required to get a revolution?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tsyni posted:

Yeah, wow. What's required to get a revolution?

IIRC you have to take a shitload of loans and then lose a rebellion. You need a capital in Europe too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah, high War Exhaustion, loans, and lose a war or rebellion I think.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

IIRC you have to take a shitload of loans and then lose a rebellion. You need a capital in Europe too.

Yeah, you need negative stability after 1750 for the disaster to be available, and having 25 loans out (or being bankrupt) will accelerate it. Then, you just need to lose your capital to the rebel scum.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Guildencrantz posted:

Wow, Ironman Byzantium is fun as hell. The start is rough, then you eventually get some absolutely obscene bonuses, especially when it comes to manpower.

Unfortunately, as I entered the lategame, my attempts to recklessly blob into Europe ~recreate the Roman Empire~ have increasingly been thwarted. Whenever I expand, all of Western Europe, including Mega-France, dogpiles me with a massive coalition. The last one thoroughly kicked my rear end and I had to let go of Hungary and Vienna.

But the war exhaustion and the negative prestige had a side effect. Now I'll show them.

you let lithuania take the caucasus :negative:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I can't remember the last time I saw the Revolution happen in a game. I might occasionally see some rebels pop up but the ai never goes through with it.

Though to be fair I finish my games before the 1700s a lot of times.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
How dumb of an idea is it to try to leave the HRE? I finally got enough development as the Palatinate to upgrade to Kingdom, only to find out that regular HRE members can't actually do that (and since I'm Protestant and lost the league war I can't be anything except a regular member). Obviously the emperor will loving hate it, but does it affect relations with other HRE members? Most of my survivability is coming from alliances with other mega-princes.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Been playing some of the beta patch, and the changes to development are better, but maybe too easy now, However I don't think a multiplier of adding more monarch points would fix it. Maybe they could add a cooldown to development that lasts say 10 years? and decreases with high end tech in admin?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

How dumb of an idea is it to try to leave the HRE? I finally got enough development as the Palatinate to upgrade to Kingdom, only to find out that regular HRE members can't actually do that (and since I'm Protestant and lost the league war I can't be anything except a regular member). Obviously the emperor will loving hate it, but does it affect relations with other HRE members? Most of my survivability is coming from alliances with other mega-princes.

After leaving you won't have many avenues for expansion. It's usually best to stay in the HRE until you can dismantle it.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

If you're smack-dab in the middle of the HRE, leaving means you have to fight the Emperor every time you go to war with your neighbors. If you want to expand any more this game, then that's a lot of fighting Austria or whoever. I don't think that's worth a diplomat and a slightly faster cooldown on National Focus, but it's up to you.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

If you peace out with a country and it tag-switches, it can be called in again. :smith:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

It's really dumb that a protectorate starting/finishing Westernization doesn't get a popup by default.

Also I think I found a bug: The "Land Reclamation in Holland" decision doesn't seem to stick. I select it, development costs go down in Holland, but then if I go back a couple minutes later costs are back up and the decision can be taken again.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 6, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

It's really dumb that a protectorate starting/finishing Westernization doesn't get a popup by default.

Also I think I found a bug: The "Land Reclamation in Holland" decision doesn't seem to stick. I select it, development costs go down in Holland, but then if I go back a couple minutes later costs are back up and the decision can be taken again.

Yeah that decision is bugged. It also causes the AI to never have any admin once that decision unlocks for them. It's funny to look at the tech of a lategame Ai netherlands.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

I bet there's a "1" instead of "-1" for the modifier duration so it lasts for a month

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Beamed posted:

If you peace out with a country and it tag-switches, it can be called in again. :smith:
One weird trick diplomats do not want you to know!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A Buttery Pastry posted:

One weird trick diplomats do not want you to know!

Another trick for countries that change your government type when you form them (like Italy). Nothing can change you out of a republican dictatorship, not even forming new countries with their own associated government types.

So if you want to keep that trade republic or ambrosia republic when you form Italy just get your R-Trad down to below 40 watch as you become immune to the gov switch.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 6, 2015

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Potooweet posted:

I think I almost missed out on that achievement in my Dutch run because there are a couple of provinces that don't look like they are in the Caribbean but actually are. Double check the region map.

I missed a single island and now have the achievement. Thanks for that. I don't know why I assumed colonial region when every other region based achievement used map region.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Is the HRE supposed to lose Imperial Authority if there are heretics in the empire after Westphalia?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Beamed posted:

Is the HRE supposed to lose Imperial Authority if there are heretics in the empire after Westphalia?

Yes. Westphalia is not supposed to good for the Emperor.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I'm gonna do a Byzantium run in honor of Varoufakis.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Would there be benefit to doing a new learning LP for EU4? I feel like so much has changed since the original release, even without DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jackson Taus posted:

Would there be benefit to doing a new learning LP for EU4? I feel like so much has changed since the original release, even without DLC.
I don't think anyone would say no to that.

• Locked thread