Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Since the NPCs attack now I've been thinking about using them as turrets. Main problem is figuring out an effective way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Eh. They're too drat common. I mean they're kinda cool and dangerous and different but in practice what happens is you can never ever safely jump anywhere near a marble biome, you can only use your hook to get around or every jump is risking instant unavoidable death. Once the novelty's worn off it gets to feeling kind of bullshit.

Fakeedit: should have started this post with "1.3 is SO FREAKING COOL, but..."

The hook doesn't even help, you will fall from wherever you're hooked if you get petrified.

I have the triple Whammy of a Marble and Granite biome being right next to each other, inside of my underground Ice biome. So I get Granite Elementals, Hoplites, Medusas and Spiked Ice Slimes all in the same area.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
About 15 hours into this world, I am now a bunny-riding, hornet and slime summoning bee-man with a brain for a head. Decided to start a second, slightly less boxy base to celebrate getting this far for the first time.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I've started to expand my lovely grass apartments, beginning with 3 themed houses for the pirate, the dryad and the truffle man.

All a work in progress! I like that my mushroom looks a lot like a blue turd with two dicks on top. :allears:

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So a friend of mine got a Scourge of The Corruptor by killing a random corruption enemy in Hardmode. Can dungeon chest items drop off of enemies in expert mode or something?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Accidentally breaking the Larvae open while you're in the process of mining out the hive so you can turn it into an arena is an interesting experience. :stare:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I know if there's one thing this thread isn't tired of it's "why isn't this housing valid" screenshots, so:

It's the ice house/igloo thing here. This one is particularly puzzling because it was valid housing previously, and nothing has changed as far as I can tell. You can see the stylist is still in there, even. Only thing I can think of is that it became corrupted, but it doesn't give that message when I check it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Accidentally breaking the Larvae open while you're in the process of mining out the hive so you can turn it into an arena is an interesting experience. :stare:
I had my clorophyte armor trigger two Queen Bees while I was fighting Plantera.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Cicadalek posted:

I know if there's one thing this thread isn't tired of it's "why isn't this housing valid" screenshots, so:

It's the ice house/igloo thing here. This one is particularly puzzling because it was valid housing previously, and nothing has changed as far as I can tell. You can see the stylist is still in there, even. Only thing I can think of is that it became corrupted, but it doesn't give that message when I check it.

Hmm. It looks like the bottom section should be valid and the top section, uh, should not (since it's closed off and has no doors). Which just raises even more questions, because the stylist is in the top section. :raise:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Hmm. It looks like the bottom section should be valid and the top section, uh, should not (since it's closed off and has no doors). Which just raises even more questions, because the stylist is in the top section. :raise:

Wooden platforms count as doors.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My favorite part of any Terraria thread is the basechat :allears:

Some really great stuff here, especially with the new screencapture function. I love every weird castle, town, and subterranean bunker.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Samopsa posted:

Wooden platforms count as doors.

Are you telling me I can put all of my NPCs in attic rooms with no exterior doors, just platform hatches down into the main living area? :stare:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Are you telling me I can put all of my NPCs in attic rooms with no exterior doors, just platform hatches down into the main living area? :stare:

well...

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 6, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Angry Diplomat posted:

Sadly, it won't save them from the Destroyer

*just lost half his NPCs because the Destroyer was wandering around rather than fighting him*

Good for pretty much everything else, though.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
If you're like me and roll a lot of worlds to search for poo poo AND hate wasting torches then, when you're underground, press Tab to get the transparent map overlay and use the + key to max it out. The max size is 1:1 with the game so you can see all the cave walls even though it's pitch black. Just use shift to hold a light while you move.

It's like X-ray vision or some poo poo.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

This changes everything. I was just considering how to lay out my foreboding citadel of polished granite, and this makes things a lot easier. I never considered making a run beneath so I could just walk under the NPCs and access them from below, either.

In other news, Hades Dye looks loving awesome, especially in conjunction with that Blue Acid Dye. My character's aesthetic has gone from "Shadowrun cyberpunk" to "literally the blazing icy lord of the damned."

I think I'll set my fortress of doom into a floating chunk of ice and snow. I'll have to get some wall skeletons from the Dungeon to spruce up its frigid, forsaken depths. No, wait, I'll chain them to the underside :unsmigghh:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Now it's saying the housing is corrupted, so I guess it was that all along? Weird that it didn't say straight away.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
But if you isolate your npcs into rooms w/o doors you won't get to see them talk to each other

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

But if you isolate your npcs into rooms w/o doors you won't get to see them talk to each other

This is a valid point. Counterpoint: use those NPC teleporting statues (King and Queen I think?) to teleport everyone into a big feast hall and let them all just hang out partying and shooting the poo poo all day, and you can design their dumb rooms however you want and still let them socialize. I like that idea and I am going to do it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's no way to save corrupted worlds if the backup is corrupted too right?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RatHat posted:

There's no way to save corrupted worlds if the backup is corrupted too right?

Get a Clentaminator :smuggo:.

And by Clentaminator, I mean phenomenal cosmic fixing skills.

Which is to say, usually no.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Anyone had trouble getting a Megaphone to drop? I've killed over 200 dark mummies and almost 400 pixies and I have yet to see one drop. I know the wiki says it's a 1% drop but I think I should have had at least one drop so far...

Edit: Since I have the infinite water bucket I'm thinking about the feasibility of making a green jellyfish farm...

Edit 2: Meanwhile I've just had my fifth fast clock drop.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 6, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Ambaire posted:

Anyone had trouble getting a Megaphone to drop? I've killed over 200 dark mummies and almost 400 pixies and I have yet to see one drop. I know the wiki says it's a 1% drop but I think I should have had at least one drop so far...

Edit: Since I have the infinite water bucket I'm thinking about the feasibility of making a green jellyfish farm...

Yeah I did too, battle potion on blood moon eventually helped get it but I got three megaphones and three fast clocks (and THREE blessed apples, and TWO hallowed keys! I'm not exaggerating.) before finally getting the megaphone.

Nazar's probably the hard part though, it's a rare drop from rare enemies. Not sure how much use an ankh shield IS anyway

V All my slots have servicable items in them, lack of knockback and status effects are nice but I prefer extra damage. Besides, it won't stop you from getting stoned from Medusa.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 6, 2015

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

Not sure how much use an ankh shield IS anyway

Lol

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Moon Lord tips: he only despawns if you die, so you can kite him away from your base and then teleport back to heal.

also holy poo poo the Last Prism is pretty much my favorite magical laser artifact ever. It's so stylish :allears:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Acne Rain posted:

Yeah I did too, battle potion on blood moon eventually helped get it but I got three megaphones and three fast clocks (and THREE blessed apples, and TWO hallowed keys! I'm not exaggerating.) before finally getting the megaphone.

Nazar's probably the hard part though, it's a rare drop from rare enemies. Not sure how much use an ankh shield IS anyway

V All my slots have servicable items in them, lack of knockback and status effects are nice but I prefer extra damage. Besides, it won't stop you from getting stoned from Medusa.

Medusa aside, the Ankh Shield is the best accessory in the game and you are crazy if you think it's not worth it.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

Nazar's probably the hard part though, it's a rare drop from rare enemies.

The enemies Nazars drop from are not rare. Like at all. I also think Red's upped the drop rate on nazars at some point because I remember spending too much time trying to get nazars when I was making my shield, but in the subsequent times grinding to get holiday goodie bag things I would get three or four every haul.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Nazars just drop from skulls, enchanted swords, and enchanted hammers. Notes:
The Nazar can be difficult to obtain, as none of the enemies which drop it spawn very often.

cursed skulls spawn more often than the enchanted weapons, but they do not spawn as often as the other dungeon enemies.

In game I haven't really been farming ankh shield pieces, except the megaphone when I noticed I had all parts but that and the nazar, and I still do not have a nazar.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I ran through the dungeon with some friends last night and at least two of those dropped.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

They may not spawn as often, but if you are under the water candle effect (i.e. 90% of the dungeon) they will show up often enough that it feels like there's always one on the screen. I'd say they are uncommon at worst, not rare.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It's a random drop. Even if it's low there's a chance of that happening during one particular run, but over many runs it's expected that there will be more when it doesn't.

Still we're splitting hairs over rare vs uncommon here I think. I'll agree that it's more the latter.

It might be my fault for ditching the water candles, but I like being in total control of the spawn rate.
Different parts of the dungeon have different drops, this way you can turn up the spawn rate when you reach the part of the dungeon you don't have the drops from yet without having too difficult a retread, in theory.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 6, 2015

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

If you are on a character that needs the nazar for an ankh shield you could just make a new expert world, and farm one from the pre-hardmode dungeon. Nothing should give you trouble in there and with water candles and battle potions it shouldn't take long at all.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Tanith posted:

Progress on the sky pagodas.

What are those roofs made of?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

kazil posted:

Medusa aside, the Ankh Shield is the best accessory in the game and you are crazy if you think it's not worth it.

Megaphone was literally the last item I needed to make it. I started making a green jellyfish farm and it dropped in like 10 kills. Something's buggy with the dark mummy / pixie megaphone drops. Or I had REALLY BAD rng.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Blackheart posted:

What are those roofs made of?

Dynasty wood shingles. Sold by the travelling merchant.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Sjonnar posted:

Dynasty wood shingles. Sold by the travelling merchant.

drat, thought it was craftable. Thanks anyway!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Acne Rain posted:

Not sure how much use an ankh shield IS anyway.

There are lots of enemies in hard mode that will confuse you for 30 seconds in one touch, or curse you(no weapon usage at all!) for 10+ seconds in one touch, or break your armor and reduce your defense by approximately a million for like two minutes. Status effects are the most lethal thing in Terraria.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Nuebot posted:

What could you even do to them without absolutely destroying them though?

They'll prolly do what they usually do and nerf the spectre set again.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kanos posted:

There are lots of enemies in hard mode that will confuse you for 30 seconds in one touch, or curse you(no weapon usage at all!) for 10+ seconds in one touch, or break your armor and reduce your defense by approximately a million for like two minutes. Status effects are the most lethal thing in Terraria.

Cursed isn't just no weapon use, it's no item use. Can't mirror home, and I don't think you can potion up either. It really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Wow, so either the terramap thing can only find strange plants as the inventory item after you harvest one and put it in a chest but not the growing plants themselves, or there has only been one goddamn strange plant that has grown on all my worlds since this patch.

Akett fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 6, 2015