Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

thehomemaster posted:

I'm very uncomfortable about the persecution of bigots, it's just their opinion/belief.

Please, Wright has no idea what actual persecution feels like. Persecution like that which he wants to visit upon people like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

occamsnailfile posted:

Please, Wright has no idea what actual persecution feels like. Persecution like that which he wants to visit upon people like me.

Persecution is relative. Like, I'm sure Boko Haram is bad, but jesus, the Starbucks guy never loving gets my name right on the side of my vanilla latte cup.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

A couple of chapters into Annihilation Score and Stross cites Excession by Banks.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I read the whole thing yesterday, and... welp. Nice masquerade you had there, be a shame if something happened to it. It was going to happen eventually, and things will only be getting worse, but I wasn't quite expecting that.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I agree with Wright. Kill all homos.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Finished The Widow's House, the fourth Dagger and Coin book. Hopefully the next one will close out the series before it starts to become bloated.

Loved Cithrin's monetary invention, the economic aspect of the series remains strong. On the other hand I find myself often rooting against the "good guys" because the nobles, especially the Kalliams, are so unbearable. However I would like to read a series of Kit and Marcus and Geder just exploring uncharted lands, those have been my favorite parts.

RndmCnflct
Oct 27, 2004

If Hitler were still alive and wrote as well as Alastair Reynolds or insert good author here I would preorder all his books.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

thehomemaster posted:

I'm very uncomfortable about the persecution of bigots, it's just their opinion/belief.
I've been throwing around feelings and ideas and poo poo with friends, and have started to wonder if we should just treat strongly-held beliefs (in terms of employment, equality, etc, etc) like disabilities - if you must be given a role you're unfit to physically/mentally/theologically perform, then you get an assigned caregiver, just like the quadriplegic and autistic guy who used to pick up the recycling bins at my old office. I mean a ton of the peolpe who've been whining about affirmative action want to be considered as special snowflakes so sure, stamp them specialdisabled like someone with Tourette's who insists on trying to sell phones at the mall kiosk.

I'm not going to judge your bigotry and decide if it's nature or nurture, but if you are a bigot, then I'll treat you like someone in a wheelchair or with a learning disability - you've got an inherent problem which we all must be polite about, and work around, even if you're a dick about it.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 4, 2015

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

RndmCnflct posted:

If Hitler were still alive and wrote as well as Alastair Reynolds or insert good author here I would preorder all his books.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Iron-Dream-Norman-Spinrad/dp/1490439455

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

withak posted:

Change the address in your kindle settings to a UK address (I suggest 10 Downing Street), buy the book, download it, then change your address back.

This has never worked for me. Billing info seems to make Amazon go "nope you're in the US gently caress off" and says I can't buy the UK things. :(

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

It has the best cover :allears:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

FastestGunAlive posted:

Finished The Widow's House, the fourth Dagger and Coin book. Hopefully the next one will close out the series before it starts to become bloated.
If I remember the blurb for The Spider's War right, it's going to be the last book in the series. Coming out towards the end of the year.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dammit Goodreads told me the new Rollins book was coming out on the 2nd but they are dirty dirty liars and it's coming out in december sometime. Bastards.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

coyo7e posted:

I've been throwing around feelings and ideas and poo poo with friends, and have started to wonder if we should just treat strongly-held beliefs (in terms of employment, equality, etc, etc) like disabilities - if you must be given a role you're unfit to physically/mentally/theologically perform, then you get an assigned caregiver, just like the quadriplegic and autistic guy who used to pick up the recycling bins at my old office. I mean a ton of the peolpe who've been whining about affirmative action want to be considered as special snowflakes so sure, stamp them specialdisabled like someone with Tourette's who insists on trying to sell phones at the mall kiosk.

I'm not going to judge your bigotry and decide if it's nature or nurture, but if you are a bigot, then I'll treat you like someone in a wheelchair or with a learning disability - you've got an inherent problem which we all must be polite about, and work around, even if you're a dick about it.

:yikes:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

coyo7e posted:

so who gets to be the one who decides which persons thoughts mark them as defective? Because I know this guy named O'Brien who might be good at it, I can pass along his CV.

Full disclosure, he is my big brother.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just finished Slow Bullets (novella) by Alastair Reynolds. Crossposted opinions from "What did you just finish?" thread:

A nifty story full of the usual Reynolds staples: mysteries in space, dangerous sociopaths, gruesome moments (Crowl's trip to the med-bay is a memorable scene), and unknowable alien horrors.

It's a good tale, kind of a fresh angle on the people-waking-on-a-generation-ship trope. There are some thoughtful moments about the preservation of culture. The arc about Scur's need for revenge against Orvin plays out well, with a surprising and satisfying resolution.

Some disappointments, though. Murash is an interesting character who needed to be featured more. I'm still not entirely sure on the ship's purpose or why some people were included in its complement, and I want to know more about the places it goes at the story's end. Most egregious: the Sickening are one of Reynold's creepier creations, so it's disappointing that they get described once and then barely feature again in the story.

The length suits the story well. It moves at a great pace, with no dull bits. But the way it was published was just a bit disappointing — it could have been the star attraction in a new (and long-overdue) collection of Reynolds' stories and novellas. Instead it's kind of an overpriced chapbook: readers pay full novel price for just 40,000 words.

Nonetheless, it's a must-read for Reynolds' fans.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I was really disappointed by Slow Bullets, for several reasons. If you haven't read it and you want to don't bother reading further, its mostly spoilers and unadulterated whining in any case.

First of all, I know its a novella, but for the most part it seems like Reynolds had one semi-interesting idea and decided to run with it (knowledge represented by the ship's computer slowly dying, and the passengers fighting to save what's left in various ways). He explored that idea for an extremely large portion of the book, and everyone on the ship, instead of acting like actual humans, simply go along with everything so that he can explore this idea. At one point they even force everyone on the ship to work incising passages onto the ship's walls. Apparently in the future hundreds upon hundreds of felons and soldiers are totally okay with being forcibly put to work on a ridiculous task.

The technology was very strange. For the sake of plot, they're on an enormous FTL ship and there somehow isn't enough storage anywhere to save history's greatest texts. So a starship has less hard drive space than a mobile phone?

I thought Scur's struggle for control of the ship was going to be interesting and perhaps even approach some realism. Instead, it was just scur running around solving problems with occasional interjections from her sort-of concillors, characters so bland I immediately forgot which one was which and it didn't matter anyways. In fact, there are only three characters one would remember. Scur, although to me she didn't feel authentic in the slightest, her nemesis, who for a sadistic war criminal was actually quite dull as well, and Murash, whose part of the story was by a MILE the most interesting.

In fact, there would be a much better book there if he just scrapped this one and wrote a new book from Murash's perspective.

Reynolds is not super-strong at characterization, but he has never had duller and less realistic characters than here.

I'm a huge Reynolds fan, my favorite (and first) of his I read was the standalone Pushing Ice, and it remains my favorite although at this point I've read them all. Better characters, better ideas, better execution, more interesting plotline, etc. I highly recommend it to everyone, but especially people who like Reynolds but haven't checked that one out.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

On the other hand, I just finished The Liar's Key and it was so so good. I did like Prince of Fools but wasn't totally crazy about it for some reason. The locations were cool and the characters okay, although both Jalan and Snorri are WAY better in this one. Jalan is finally starting to show some hints of self-awareness and conscience and realize that the reason people don't respect him isn't because they're ignorant savages but because he sucks a lot of the time. The balance in this second book between him sucking and not sucking is much better this time, he's finally learning from all his adventures.

Thanks to Jalan the book has some laugh-out-loud funny moments, mostly near the beginning as he travels through futurepast Scandinavia with Snorri and Tuttugu. The [insert important title here] of Thorns books had a real problem with the unrelenting darkness and angst and grim pronouncements. Jorg's whining and self-love are actually parodied in Jalan, to good effect. And in this book the action, the exposition, the dialogue, is all paced well.

Snorri is great too, a bit one-dimensional but that's who he is. Here he's a man in the grip of unbearable grief, set on a course he knows to be wrong but refuses to divert from regardless.

There's some pretty big reveals about the world itself and how it became this way and what the major players are fighting for. There's also some fantastic new locations, and the book stretches from the utter north all the way through the continent to the Italian peninsula.

In summary, if you haven't read Prince of Fools, go do that now. If you have, go read Liar's Key.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Yeah I really didn't like ${TITLE} Of Thorns but am really enjoying Prince of Fools. I'm a sucker for humor/action in my books!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Did anyone read the Great Way trilogy by Harry Connolly? I'm about halfway through the second book and not really feeling it. Does it get better? It's written in such a way that the reader always figures things out long before the characters do but instead of making me feel smart it makes me think the protagonists are dense.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

TOOT BOOT posted:

Did anyone read the Great Way trilogy by Harry Connolly? I'm about halfway through the second book and not really feeling it. Does it get better? It's written in such a way that the reader always figures things out long before the characters do but instead of making me feel smart it makes me think the protagonists are dense.

The series ending is really dumb and comes out of nowhere.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

It is pretty bad. If you ain't feeling it don't force it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Firstborn posted:

I recently started to listen to the audiobook of The Red Knight, book 1 of the Traitor Son Cycle, by Christian Cameron (styled as Miles Cameron for some reason). I am really enjoying it. It's about heroic knights battling "the wild", which is anything from giant bears to demons to wyverns. What's interesting is that because a lot of the conflict is knights interacting, they go by the laws of the chivalry of the world, so there's a lot of assholes bowing and offering phony apologies and posturing over each other with words that seem benign but are to actually get ahead. There's also what I can only describe as "anime catholic" religion, which is very much about revering saints, the cross, the Jesus analogue (I think they call him Jesu), and that sort of thing but in a metal paladin way where soldiers are carried to their caskets on spears, and holy magic burns away evil and provides protection against it. It's pretty great. Also, the author is a turbonerd re-enactor and former Navy officer, and knows his arms, armor, and tactics. When he writes his gore and battle, he knows the difference between a fauld and a pauldron and describes fighting stances and stuff.

It's almost like Warhammer fantasy with the serial filed off, but in a good way.

Yeah I'm a big fan. The sequel is also fantastic, expanding the world to a satisfying degree and adding a lot of disparate elements, one of my favorite settings being the enormous stretch of wooded wilds and the outwallers, many native american in aspect, who live there. The attention to detail in the ~16th century arms and armor is appreciated. I guess the author is one of those guys that like to dress up in armor and hit other guys with blunted swords. Whatever works.

My only complaint would be that the main character is way too much without flaw and it takes away some of the tension. Still, fantastic books with a well-realized world and strong plotting. The second is better than the first in my opinion.

thetechnoloser posted:

Closest to Dune I can think of the "The Dragon Never Sleeps", by Glen Cook. Warring Houses, gholas/clones, political intrigue. Just don't expect the book to explain everything to you. I enjoyed it, but it's not for everyone.

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Never-Sleeps-Glen-Cook/dp/1597801488

This book is amazing! It was absolutely shocking to me. I'm a Glenn Cook fan in that I more or less enjoyed the Black Company series but I never knew he could write like this. It's fast paced and frenetic and confusing and fascinating.

MrFlibble posted:

Fairly sure one of the Red Dwarf books covers it as well. Everyone should read the red dwarf books anyway, they're really funny.

Yes yes a million times yes. In point of fact, though, it's really only the first two that I can recommend without reservation. Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers and Better Than Life. Both have the perfect mix of humorous and dramatic and interesting and fanciful.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Cook, any references on his Instrumentalities of the Night series? I loved his Garrett books but Black Company frankly bored me; how much of the historical aspect is in this series?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
It's the only NotEurope setting I've ever seen that includes the NotProtestant Reformation, so that's pretty cool. But stylistically, its much closer to the Black Company than the Garrett books, so if you didn't like BC than you probably won't like it.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Play posted:

Yes yes a million times yes. In point of fact, though, it's really only the first two that I can recommend without reservation. Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers and Better Than Life. Both have the perfect mix of humorous and dramatic and interesting and fanciful.

Backwards is really good if you haven't watched the tv show. I remember enjoying Grants other sci fi comedy book Colony as well.

And I wouldn't call Last Human bad. But I agree neither of the two trilogy enders are as good as the first two books.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Patrick Spens posted:

It's the only NotEurope setting I've ever seen that includes the NotProtestant Reformation, so that's pretty cool. But stylistically, its much closer to the Black Company than the Garrett books, so if you didn't like BC than you probably won't like it.
Early or Late BC? Because the first three books weren't so bad and I'm a sucker for magical history settings so that might be able to carry it.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Read The Martian this weekend and I was thoroughly disappointed. The book had the emotional depth of a Michael Bay movie, a mostly unlikeable protagonist (hurr, (.Y.) boobs), cardboard supporting characters, and absolutely zero suspense or feeling of danger.

I dunno, maybe I went in with different expectations, but it seemed like the kind of book that my friends who read maybe 2-3 books a year would have really liked. I'm not trying to be smug, just didn't get the hype.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

tonytheshoes posted:

Read The Martian this weekend and I was thoroughly disappointed. The book had the emotional depth of a Michael Bay movie, a mostly unlikeable protagonist (hurr, (.Y.) boobs), cardboard supporting characters, and absolutely zero suspense or feeling of danger.

I dunno, maybe I went in with different expectations, but it seemed like the kind of book that my friends who read maybe 2-3 books a year would have really liked. I'm not trying to be smug, just didn't get the hype.

I'm half-way through so I reserve final judgement but... you're not wrong. The science stuff is the only reason to read it. The protagonist is a touch too big of a dweeb to believe, especially once the mission psychologist claims he was the social glue that kept the crew together. The boobs part was precisely where any illusions I had were shattered and I went from "I can buy this character" to "Jesus Christ!".

I am enjoying it, but the same way I'd enjoy a Tom Clancy or a Michael Crichton novel. The older ones like Red Storm Rising and Airframe, not the newer ones where they went off the deep end.

I can't wait to see what they do with the movie because they have the chance to improve on all the flaws. The premise and the basic story are the biggest strength and you just build good characters on top of that and you have a great science fiction movie.

I do hope near future space SF makes a resurgence with The Martian and the Expanse being hits. Also cast Matt Damon in everything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tonytheshoes posted:

a mostly unlikeable protagonist (hurr, (.Y.) boobs)

man with silly sense of humor!? NO! NO!

You're mostly right but I think that's a funny example to give for "mostly unlikable".

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 6, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I would argue sometimes Watney lacks a proper grasp of... gravitas.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

man with silly sense of humor!? NO! NO!

You're mostly right but I think that's a funny example to give for "mostly unlikable".

Ok, good point... still, I'd think 2 years without human contact would knock at least some of the sense of humor out of him after a while... Then again, maybe that's why he's an astronaut and I'm not. Maybe 'unlikeable' is the wrong word. 'Unrealistic' is probably more on point.

tonytheshoes fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 6, 2015

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
It's interesting how humor can be so polarizing. In fact, I'd go so far as to say "very likable protagonist" was a strength of The Martian and one of the reasons I recommend it to people. Some people love the boob jokes (I did) and some don't.

It's not a book, but I remember having the same discussion about the video game Borderlanders 2. It's filled with humor that someone described as "internet memes". I loved the poo poo out of it, and kept cracking up as I was playing. Someone else posted how he couldn't stand the humor and ended up abandoning the game. I guess it's just interesting how it invokes strong reactions in both directions!

syphon fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 6, 2015

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

syphon posted:

It's interesting how humor can be so polarizing. In fact, I'd go so far as to say "very likable protagonist" was a strength of The Martian and one of the reasons I recommend it to people. Some people love the boob jokes (I did) and some don't.

It's not a book, but I remember having the same discussing about the video game Borderlanders 2. It's filled with humor that someone described as "internet memes". I loved the poo poo out of it, and kept cracking up as I was playing. Someone else posted how he couldn't stand the humor and ended up abandoning the game. I guess it's just interesting how it invokes strong reactions in both directions!

I did chuckle at a couple of his jokes, but I can't recall most of them, aside from 'science the poo poo out of this.'

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
To me it was that he was very relatable. I suppose a book like this won't stand the test of time very well (as pop culture and slang and whatnot evolves) but reading the book felt like reading about one of my friends. It was written in that goofy/dorky way that we talk to each other, so I was able to relate with him very well.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

tonytheshoes posted:

I did chuckle at a couple of his jokes, but I can't recall most of them, aside from 'science the poo poo out of this.'

IIRC the boobs joke was perfectly OK it its context since the guy was really upset with NASA telling him to tone down his typing "because of the children" while he was in a deadly situation.

On unrelated issues, I have finished "Absolution Gap", which closes the Inhibitor series of the Revelation Space series. And, gently caress the Clavain's death story is really grim, even if not a single drop of blood is depicted in the text. Someone posted here he found the ending of the novel a little bit rushed on, after the story drags itself by 20-30 chapters, and I quite agree with him. Anyway, AR writing is good enough to keep me interested, so I have really enjoyed the book, as well as the other ones in the same series.

I am a little bit disappointed with the conclusion of the RS universe; that stuff about von Newman machines gone astray is not really very original, and it is difficult to assume that a civilization able to push out the wolves is not able to fix his own machines (although in Galactic North AR tries to justify that). It looks like AR wanted to kill the universe and came with that Greenfly infestation thing.

The only thing I feel bad about AR and the RS series is waiting too much to read those books. If anyone has not read them, please do it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Amberskin posted:

IIRC the boobs joke was perfectly OK it its context since the guy was really upset with NASA telling him to tone down his typing "because of the children" while he was in a deadly situation.

That's what I'm thinking. This guy is stranded on a barren planet. Let him have his humor. Also this:

Andy Weir posted:

"There are a bunch of severe psychological effects that would happen to someone being isolated for almost two years. And also the anxiety and stress of being on the verge of death from various problems for so long—most people would not be able to handle that. The loneliness, the isolation, the anxiety, and stress—I mean, it would take an enormous psychological toll. And I didn’t deal with any of that. I just said like, 'Nope, that’s not how Mark Watney rolls.' So he has almost superhuman ability to deal with stress and solitude.

"And the reason I did that was because I didn’t want the book to be a deep character study of crippling loneliness and depression—that’s not what I wanted! So the biggest challenge were the psychological aspects, and I just didn’t address them and I hope the reader doesn’t notice."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Temeraire is not very good

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

anilEhilated posted:

Early or Late BC? Because the first three books weren't so bad and I'm a sucker for magical history settings so that might be able to carry it.

It does share the lack of focus that characterizes late BC, but if you really like fantasy places that are obviously based on historical areas I'd give it a shot. You don't just get NotEurope, you get NotGermany, and NotRome, and NotFatimids and NotTime displaced Vikings. Also, have you read his Dread Empire series?

corn in the bible posted:

Temeraire is not very good

Temeraire is pretty good, but later novels drop off quickly and deeply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

That's what I'm thinking. This guy is stranded on a barren planet. Let him have his humor. Also this:

Got it--so it's a summer blockbuster in book form. Just not my thing...