Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Unmature posted:

The cut in that will always piss me off. That movie has the terriblest editing.
This actually reminded me of a small bit from The Sound of Music. There's a scene where the Captain pulls the Nazi party's flag from the side of his house and tears it in half. After he pulls it from the pole we can see him fiddling around the edge for the tear they made for him. I have never been able to unsee that after my dad pointed it out twelve years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

kinmik posted:

This actually reminded me of a small bit from The Sound of Music. There's a scene where the Captain pulls the Nazi party's flag from the side of his house and tears it in half. After he pulls it from the pole we can see him fiddling around the edge for the tear they made for him. I have never been able to unsee that after my dad pointed it out twelve years ago.

For me it's the patch of obviously breakable glass on the medical tube Lilu is trapped inside in the 5th element. It's like a jaggidy patch of thin sugar glass smack in the middle of an ordinary glass wall.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

This video (featuring Jackie Chan talking about how to direct action, 100% pro click) describes everything about why I despise modern Hollywood action movies, chief of all being the Bourne series. :mediocre:

Meanwhile on the entirely opposite spectrum you have Mad Max which I loving loved.

http://io9.com/the-secret-of-mad-max-fury-roads-brilliance-its-all-i-1708039841

Hollywood somehow not only forgot how to edit action movies, they decided the way to edit action movies is to do everything in the worst manner possible. It drives me loving crazy. They cut in the MIDDLE of the action, so you never see it! Character swings arm, cut to other character reeling backwards from being hit. Its the laziest bullshit directing that means you can skip doing proper choreography entirely. Meanwhile the proper, Jackie Chan way, is not just to hold the shot and show the hit, but then actually rewind time after you cut and show the hit TWICE.

And don't even get me started on shakeycam! I hate it so loving much. Then you see something like Mad Max which is all center-framed and your eyes can actually follow the loving action and its a drat revelation.

Thank god for George Miller. (And Jackie Chan) :perfect:

Alright you convinced me. Time to watch some hong kong jackie chan movies. I wish canistream.it let you search by actors. Sometimes you just want to watch a richard pryor movie and don't want to type in every single one (I can't find a single richard pryor movie that is streamable and gave up). So far I found drunken master is on netflix. Others to follow?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krinkle posted:

Alright you convinced me. Time to watch some hong kong jackie chan movies. I wish canistream.it let you search by actors. Sometimes you just want to watch a richard pryor movie and don't want to type in every single one (I can't find a single richard pryor movie that is streamable and gave up). So far I found drunken master is on netflix. Others to follow?

With Jackie you honestly can't go wrong. Literally his entire filmography is exceptionally good cinema. A few of them like drunken master have pacing problems and can be a little snoozy at times, but its still classic filmmaking compared to Hollywood action movies, and has amazing fight scenes with unreal levels of choreography.

But if you just want a list of the best Jackie Chan action movies, just look for the movies he's credited as "director" in IMDB. Those are the good ones.

Police Story, Who Am I?, Armor of God, Operation Condor, Supercop, Wheels on Meals, Rumble in the Bronx,

Rush Hour is okay.
Shanghai Knights is bad and is what happens when you don't let Jackie Chan control the cinematography.

"I never move my camera. Always steady, wide shot."

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Jul 6, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Unless someone surpassed him, Jackie also holds the record for most takes at somewhere north of 1000 for a single shot - fighting a bunch of dudes and kicking a tennis ball up off the ground and into a light switch.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, watching Jackie Chan's outtakes is a revelation in terms of how much effort he puts in and how much he physically suffers for his craft.

And how funny he is in speech as well as as a physical comedian.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Everything Jackie Chan made in the 80s and 90s is worth watching. Then you can work your way outward from there. He's also made some good stuff in the past 15 years, but I would avoid most of his American filmography.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Zaphod42 posted:

In real life only like 5% of gunshots are fatal, and even if its fatal very few kill you instantly. Even if you're shot in the heart you're going to bleed out for like 40 seconds. But in almost every single movie and television show, its just "bang.... dead". You'd have to get a headshot for that to be true, right through the brains or brain stem. But who needs science? This is fiction! :v:

I'm ok with this one, because gunfights would be a ludicrous exercise if people didn't die immediately after being shot. Either you'd have to wait for every single mook to bleed to death, or the 'hero' would have to execute all the wounded with a headshot, which isn't exactly a nice thing to do.

As movie short-hand goes, 'this guy is out of the fight now' is pretty critical for filming any kind of action.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vulpes posted:

I'm ok with this one, because gunfights would be a ludicrous exercise if people didn't die immediately after being shot. Either you'd have to wait for every single mook to bleed to death, or the 'hero' would have to execute all the wounded with a headshot, which isn't exactly a nice thing to do.

As movie short-hand goes, 'this guy is out of the fight now' is pretty critical for filming any kind of action.

But look at Daredevil which we were just gushing over not long ago. They do it RIGHT. The fight scenes have impact and the characters that get smashed hard get back up and keep fighting because duh, they're not just instantly dead. Eventually everybody gets loving exhausted and just stops fighting back, which is about as realistic as you can have it short of having the main character just execute everybody, yeah.

But... that's kinda the point? The whole point is that being a bad guy is easier. That's why people really do it. Not because they like twirling their evil-moustache and just being super evil evil evil (unless you're like the joker) but because its easy. Its easy to kill people and steal money rather than working, so long as you can get away with it and you don't care about morals.

The whole struggle of being a good guy is that you have to play by rules that your opponent doesn't have to. That's a burden. But struggling against that burden makes a hero actually honorable.

It can be done you just have to write the plot around it. Its just a crutch that everybody uses and gets away with so they don't even try to avoid it. There are action movies that don't though.

Look at The Raid: Redemption. People all die slowly, painfully, and realistically. And it makes you care about the good guys more because of it.
Its mostly a Hollywood thing.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Does Connery's death in The Untouchables count? It was one of the most memorable parts of the movie for me. It really drug the audience into the suffering.

Sinister Rabbit
May 23, 2010

Vulpes posted:

John Wick is basically "Headshot: The Movie," and most people here seem to love it, so it can work just fine for the right "hero".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

poonchasta posted:

Everything Jackie Chan made in the 80s and 90s is worth watching. Then you can work your way outward from there. He's also made some good stuff in the past 15 years, but I would avoid most of his American filmography.

Even Around the World in 80 Days.

Kurtofan has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Jul 7, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Sinister Rabbit posted:

John Wick is basically "Headshot: The Movie," and most people here seem to love it, so it can work just fine for the right "hero".

To be fair, I have yet to meet anyone who's seen the movie and gone, "Eh, it's just a dog; steady on, dude."

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

Does Connery's death in The Untouchables count? It was one of the most memorable parts of the movie for me. It really drug the audience into the suffering.
I beg to differ. I thought that was really over the top. I've said this before but when I watched The Untouchables in class, everyone was laughing at that scene and saying things like "Okay, this time he'll be dead for s-no he's still alive!"

While I'm on serious scenes in movies that made my classmates and I laugh, we had to watch the original Bridge To Terebithia movie in grade 4. The kid who played Jess was a horrible actor. I know Canadian productions, especially back then, don't have much of a budget but literally any other kid could have done a better job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIj4ekcONqg

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Celery Face posted:

While I'm on serious scenes in movies that made my classmates and I laugh, we had to watch the original Bridge To Terebithia movie in grade 4. The kid who played Jess was a horrible actor. I know Canadian productions, especially back then, don't have much of a budget but literally any other kid could have done a better job.

:lol: That's hilarious

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Celery Face posted:

I beg to differ. I thought that was really over the top. I've said this before but when I watched The Untouchables in class, everyone was laughing at that scene and saying things like "Okay, this time he'll be dead for s-no he's still alive!"

You lie!

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Sinister Rabbit posted:

It helps that Wick would be the implacable villain in basically any other movie.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Another thing we had to watch in grade 4 was the BBC adaption of The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe. It's definitely got a lot of charm to it but there were a lot of stifled giggles at the really fake looking costumes and special effects. Oh, and every time The White Witch opened her mouth. She screamed half her lines at the top of her lungs and popped her eyes at everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT74Q1GW1ns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0y-DEbMZ6M&t=13m40s

Shortly afterwards, the Disney version came out and seeing Tilda Swinton's subtle (but awesome, she was the perfect person to cast) performance was so jarring for me.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Celery Face posted:

Hardest I ever laughed at a school movie was the sword fight in Macbeth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr6VrmOQY1M

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Dr_Amazing posted:

Jokes on you, that fight is probably the most accurate depiction of medieval sword fighting ever put to film.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Celery Face posted:

Another thing we had to watch in grade 4 was the BBC adaption of The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe. It's definitely got a lot of charm to it but there were a lot of stifled giggles at the really fake looking costumes and special effects. Oh, and every time The White Witch opened her mouth. She screamed half her lines at the top of her lungs and popped her eyes at everything.

Shortly afterwards, the Disney version came out and seeing Tilda Swinton's subtle (but awesome, she was the perfect person to cast) performance was so jarring for me.

Am interested, got halfway thorough, d'ye'feel the hav-ta-watch-poo poo gets in the way of all the other poo poo or only part-way?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Polaron posted:

It helps that Wick would be the implacable villain in basically any other movie.

Yeah, he was less "hero" and more "anti-hero".

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

I wanted the teacher to show that movie when we read Macbeth. Instead we got the version from 1998 with the Mad Max-ish setting, Matrix costumes, frosted tips, techno music and Sean Pertwee. Can't complain of course, because I wouldn't have heard of it otherwise.

As for irritating/hilarious moments, the CGI was really bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO0L5AWDACQ&t=55m45s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

That was actually pretty legit though? Plate armor is a motherfucker, and fighting in full plate can look pretty dang silly if it doesn't go right.

I guess it doesn't make for the best cinema but it is pretty realistic and I think its entertaining. But at times its like in UFC when they start clenching.

Celery Face posted:

I wanted the teacher to show that movie when we read Macbeth. Instead we got the version from 1998 with the Mad Max-ish setting, Matrix costumes, frosted tips, techno music and Sean Pertwee. Can't complain of course, because I wouldn't have heard of it otherwise.

As for irritating/hilarious moments, the CGI was really bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO0L5AWDACQ&t=55m45s

The WHAT? :wtc:

E: Ahahahaha this is amazing. Delivering lines of The Bard while strapping on a flak jest and holding rifles, then a guy in a kilt is talking to a guy wearing neo sunglasses out in front of a manicured lawn.

At 1:21:00 the director just doesn't know what to do while the lines go on and on. "Just keep circling them with the camera!" "again sir?" "Yeah yeah"

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 05:34 on Jul 7, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

The WHAT? :wtc:
My English teacher seriously treated that film as a cinematic masterpiece and looked hurt whenever he noticed people giggling at it.

In senior year, he showed us a London Police adaption of Othello. That one is actually really good although I was rooting for Iago the whole time. Partly because he was the best part of the movie (Christopher Ecceleston is great in villain roles) and also because Othello is an idiot. If my coworker gave me kisses and backrubs while whispering in my ear about how women are overrated, I'd be more than a little creeped out. Not Othello though.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess it doesn't make for the best cinema

Polanksi is a piece of poo poo and needs to be imprisoned but his Macbeth is the best version ever filmed. I'd rather watch it than see it performed on stage because it can't be done improved upon, something I wouldn't say for most of Shakespeare's other plays.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Celery Face posted:

Apparently the girl who played the Waterbender chick in the Live Action Last Airbender movie was the daughter of some bigwig executive/producer/executive producer and nepotism is a thing, that might explain the kid in Bridge? "Oh sure we'll let you use our house for filming but young Thomas here always wanted to be a star..."

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Apparently the girl who played the Waterbender chick in the Live Action Last Airbender movie was the daughter of some bigwig executive/producer/executive producer and nepotism is a thing, that might explain the kid in Bridge? "Oh sure we'll let you use our house for filming but young Thomas here always wanted to be a star..."
I looked up the kid who played Jess. His mom was a Canadian voice coach and his dad is Jeffrey Jones. :stonk:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phanatic posted:

And by contrast, knocking someone out with a casual blow to the head is trivially easy to accomplish, and doesn't result in serious injury.

In real life, if you smack someone in the skull with a blunt object hard enough to knock them out, that guy's going to the hospital, and he's going to be there for a while.
There's an episode of Archer that makes that point:

quote:

ARCHER: Ray? If it’s any consolation, you were right. Oh, and try not to be unconscious too long. It’s super bad for you.

MALORY: He did what?!
GILLETTE: Well for starters, this. That’s a broken zygomatic bone, plus I was unconscious for an hour!
LANA: Ooh, really?
GILLETTE: Which is super bad for you!
LANA: Super bad, have you seen a neurologist?
GILLETTE: Have a cat-scan tomorrow.

Celery Face posted:

I love Barbara Kellerman as the witch in this. She is by far the best part of the show, and absolutely makes this the superior adaptation.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

rejutka posted:

Unless someone surpassed him, Jackie also holds the record for most takes at somewhere north of 1000 for a single shot - fighting a bunch of dudes and kicking a tennis ball up off the ground and into a light switch.

Can you imagine if Kubrick had ever adirected a Jackie Chan movie? 1000 takes would be nothing.

Another movie myth that people seem to believe is real but isn't is that you have to wait 24 - 48 hours before the police can declare someone missing and start investigating. You can declare someone missing immediately and the police will start to look for them. They only say that in movies so the characters have to go and investigate for themselves instead of just having the police do it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The Hitcher remake from 2007 is by no means a great movie, but it has its moments. These moments it has are either fun or terribly annoying. Fun moments happen whenever the protagonists try to use a phone after Sean Bean broke theirs at the start of the movie, and generally Sean Bean being a total dick to them because why not? It gets annoying though whenever they drive, which they do a lot. Why can't these people just keep their eyes on the loving road for a minute?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mind the walrus posted:

On the other hand, Christian Slater.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

flosofl posted:

Yeah, he was less "hero" and more "anti-hero".

Yeah but man the Russian kid killed his dog. Totally worth a north of 40 body count 30+ of them from headshots.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

Yeah but man the Russian kid killed his dog. Totally worth a north of 40 body count 30+ of them from headshots.

Somebody did a count, it was 75 kills and I think all but four had a headshot in there somewhere.

John Wick likes his headshots.

There's so many parts of that movie that are things I hate in other movies but it somehow pulls off really well. They spend a shitload of time talking him up before he even does anything, but it's framed as "drat kid, you done hosed up" instead of "John Wick is the greatest dude ever".

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Celery Face posted:

Nice

"You lie!"

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Somebody did a count, it was 75 kills and I think all but four had a headshot in there somewhere.

John Wick likes his headshots.

There's so many parts of that movie that are things I hate in other movies but it somehow pulls off really well. They spend a shitload of time talking him up before he even does anything, but it's framed as "drat kid, you done hosed up" instead of "John Wick is the greatest dude ever".

I think my favorite part was when John Leguizamo punches Theon in the face and gets the call from his dad.

Dad/Scary Crime Boss: You punched my son, you're in trouble
John Leguizamo: Your son stole John Wicks Car
Dad: Oh poo poo, you're good then.

It really helped to set up that he really set a bad thing in motion just by being an idiot. I also liked how they didn't explain everything about how the underworld worked such as why the gold coins, etc... you're just put into the world.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Jul 7, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think my favorite part was when John Leguizamo punches Theon in the face and gets the call from his dad.

It really helped to set up that he really set a bad thing in motion just by being an idiot. I also liked how they didn't explain everything about how the underworld worked such as why the gold coins, etc... you're just put into the world.

Yeah, that movie is a great example of "show, not tell".

They show everyone making GBS threads bricks about John Wick. Then they show you why.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jedit posted:

On the other hand, Christian Slater.

And Nick Cage, and arguably Jason Schwartzman, and Robert Downey Jr., and many many others. Nepotism can work out for everyone involved.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

And Nick Cage, and arguably Jason Schwartzman, and Robert Downey Jr., and many many others. Nepotism can work out for everyone involved.

Jason Schwartzman is terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Yeah, the Scary Russian Mafia Dad actually pauses, and you can see his face kind of sink while he's considering what Leguizamo says. In the end, he literally just says "Oh," pauses another second, then kind of meekly hangs up. It's a cool little scene in a movie chock full of cool little scenes that set up John Wick as the uber badass.