Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

All I said was that I could care less that Jews are the majority, what I want is their fear and obedience. Its a pretty simple request.

You cannot have a Jewish state without a Jewish majority; what you are saying is that you could care less about the existance of a Jewish state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

You cannot have a Jewish state without a Jewish majority; what you are saying is that you could care less about the existance of a Jewish state.

I do, in the sense that its continuing existence is based on if they accept American hegemony. But then I could also care less if their is a British state because likewise their existence comes with their obedience.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes or no, is ISIL inspired by Palestine?

No.

ISIL is a caliphate, Palestine is not. ISIL demands all muslims adhere to their laws, Palestine is a multi-cultural state without Sharia law. Most importantly, ISIL's propaganda stream largely consists of anti-Western, anti-non-muslim messages combined with beheadings of prisoners of war, which is something closely related to their allies at their inception, Al Qaeda.

Unless you have proof that Palestine has pioneered a specific type of smear campaign that ISIL and Al Qaeda both used which involves publicly beheading prisoners of war, what else does ISIL possibly have in common with specifically Palestine that is not a vague parallel you could draw with any resistance group?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Moreover, why does that matter? What point are you dragging from this comparison which justifies the ineffectual Israeli response to Palestinian military actions? Are you implying Palestine deserves to be eradicated because ISIL has allegedly adopted a propaganda technique of some kind? Is Palestine's very existence and continued resistance the reason you believe ISIL, Al Qaeda, and similar groups ever existed?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
For those unfamiliar to the thread, MIGF is a deeply committed troll/mentally ill person who has openly called for the genocide of Muslims because they (all of them, because 9/11 and ISIS) are a threat to America, while simultaneously conflating any criticism of Israel with anti-Semitism. Crowsbeak is countertrolling him by taking his insincere "America number one" persona to its logical conclusion. It's all quite droll.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kajeesus posted:

For those unfamiliar to the thread, MIGF is a deeply committed troll/mentally ill person who has openly called for the genocide of Muslims because they (all of them, because 9/11 and ISIS) are a threat to America, while simultaneously conflating any criticism of Israel with anti-Semitism. Crowsbeak is countertrolling him by taking his insincere "America number one" persona to its logical conclusion. It's all quite droll.

Yeah, I did this before but after a while MIGF espousing insane positions like ("The Jewish State should have Constitutional protection" and "Suitcases of money to politicians are legitimate forms of inducement.") just ends up being boring.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Those dastardly Arabs are at it again! Luckily, our heroic Jewish defenders foiled their clever scheme!

quote:

PA Arabs Use a Snake to Attack Police and IDF

Alert police and IDF soldiers avoided falling into a potential death trap set by Palestinian Authority Arabs who placed a snake on a barricade the security forces use to protect themselves from rioters.

Cement barricades are in place in dozens of locations in Judea and Samaria to protect soldiers and Border Police from Arabs, who tied a snake to one of them near a Ramallah area village on Friday.

Alert soldiers from the Hareidi Netzach Yehuda unit of the IDF noticed the snake before they approached the barrier.

The snake was captured and tested. It turns it was not poisonous.

“We are witness to different attempts to injure and kill soldiers, who this time also prevented harm,” said IDF Company Commander Aaron Moyal.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Not even any arrests? Is this like that Palestinian acid attack thing last year where it turned out a woman tripped walking out of a grocery store and dropped a bottle of vinegar near someone's car but the car owner reported it as a madwoman splashing acid onto her children's faces?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I suspect some soldiers found a snake on a fence and had a laugh at the expense of a journalist. This will expand to the point where snakes and all possible food or nutrients that could be used to keep snakes alive will be embargoed from Palestinian areas. The soldiers will feel kind of embarassed things got so out of hand but shrug and carry on with their lives.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm currently posting on facebook about reading and translating old satire - stuff like the excerpts I've previously posted here, or this. This country consigns satire (and all matter of other things) to the memory hole incredibly fast. Talking to fairly well educated people about the origins of "shooting and crying" (translated above) and they don't have a clue (nor do they really care). Could be because the popular expression "Israeli realities are too insane for satire to remain effective" has a bit of a point - while elsewhere, the song above would serve as a popular warning for decades on end, over here no one even finds it funny at this point - it just describes a rather obvious and permanent state of affairs in which a decorated army service is more than enough qualification for at least a back-bench MK. Then again, the Israeli internet doesn't really retain anything of value. You can go on youtube and find a dozen clips of Senior Bush's "read my lips" within seconds. On the other hand, even though "A New Middle East" might well be Peres' biggest contribution to pop-politics lexicon, a clip of that is near impossible to find.

(The thread collectively erupts into "what the poo poo is your point, and are you ever going to get to it?")

My point is, that a lot of Israelis basically accept and don't really think about, much less question, some hosed up realities not even related to the I/P conflict. So introducing those to people who are sure that Israel is basically a liberal democracy in the Middle East may help change their minds. Point out that the army basically controls the government, that the country is closer to being ruled by Sharia law than something like Turkey... for the other side of the political spectrum, mention the total gun control and socialized medicine :devil:

Anything else that really surprised you and didn't jive with the ostensible image of the only democracy in the Middle East?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 6, 2015

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Did I really just read 3 pages of someone being trolled by MIGF I don't even

Xander77 posted:

Anything else that really surprised you and didn't jive with the ostensible image of the only democracy in the Middle East?

I don't think most right-wing Americans (the target audience that buys the "only democracy in the Middle East" cant) would be terribly uncomfortable with the problematic aspects of Israeli life (military service/contacts pretty much required for business/political success, state-supported religion interfering with laws and daily life regularly) and wish America was more like Israel in those respects.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lum_ posted:

Nah, I was just calmly letting him express his opinions on I/P and mostly pointing him back toward a single point to either refute or acknowledge, but he couldn't even do that

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lum_ posted:

I don't think most right-wing Americans (the target audience that buys the "only democracy in the Middle East" cant) would be terribly uncomfortable with the problematic aspects of Israeli life (military service/contacts pretty much required for business/political success, state-supported religion interfering with laws and daily life regularly) and wish America was more like Israel in those respects.

No it was more of a troll off. I was using Roman logic to argue for Israel being forced to aknowlege the hegemony of America.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Who cares what you two thought you were doing, MIGF is one of the most malodorous posters on D&D and baiting him into giving us more goddamn posts is not a productive use of any thread's time.

Is there any actual news out of Israel and Palestine worth discussing, besides a snake-based prank? How's Netanyahu's volatile government coalition holding together? I saw some headlines suggesting he's taking flack for not having influence (read: sinking) the Iran nuclear deal, so I'm guessing criticism is mostly from his right?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In light of that, they might see Frank Luntz's latest polling results as cause for concern. The headline is "Israel losing Democrats, ‘can’t claim bipartisan US support,’ top pollster warns", and I find the following paragraphs particularly interesting (discussing the use of language in messaging, Luntz's specialty):
---
“They don’t care about the ‘Start-Up Nation,'” he said flatly of American opinion elites in general. “It’s tragic that so much effort has been devoted to selling an image of Israel that many aren’t interested in buying.”

Still more drastically, Luntz said the word “Zionism” could play no part in messaging designed to repair relations with US Democrats. There has to be an “end to the [use of the] word Zionism,” he said. “You can’t make the case if you use that word. If you are at Berkeley or Brown and start outlining a Zionist vision, you don’t get to make a case for Israel because they’ve already switched off.”

He also predicted that Israel is in for “a lot more trouble” from the BDS (Boycott, Divestment & Sanctions) campaign. Once they had been informed about the BDS campaign, 19% of respondents supported it — 31% of Democrats and 3% of Republicans. And, stressed Luntz, 60% of America’s opinion elites said they were not familiar with BDS. “Israel is already having trouble with BDS, and Americans don’t even know what it means. Can you imagine how bad it will get?”

Beyond consider the source, this remains me of a Pew survey from a few months back that people freaked out about for no good reason. There was a huge difference in Republican and Democratic support for Israel, only Democratic support has pretty much been flat for 15 years while Republican support has massively increased.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

death .cab for qt posted:

Nah, I was just calmly letting him express his opinions on I/P and mostly pointing him back toward a single point to either refute or acknowledge, but he couldn't even do that

:iceburn:

Seriously though after a week of nothing in the I/p thread I saw 54 new posts and it turned out to be 54 posts of that

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Hiliary has announced she is anti BDS

It isn't exactly surprising but I'd have hoped she'd at least steer clear of the issue unless pressed on it, not dive straight into it without any prompting.

While stating her commitment to a two state solution, it defends Israel as a "vibrant democracy" and points out how Hilary has defended Israel in the UN and the Humans Rights Council, condemned the Goldstone report and blocked attempts at the UN to declare Palestinian statehood. Furthermore, she promises to 'speak out' on that issue in weeks to come.

Looks like as Clinton has sensed the strained relationship between Obama and Netanyahu and is looking to cover herself and garner support.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

team overhead smash posted:

It isn't exactly surprising but I'd have hoped she'd at least steer clear of the issue unless pressed on it, not dive straight into it without any prompting.

While stating her commitment to a two state solution, it defends Israel as a "vibrant democracy" and points out how Hilary has defended Israel in the UN and the Humans Rights Council, condemned the Goldstone report and blocked attempts at the UN to declare Palestinian statehood. Furthermore, she promises to 'speak out' on that issue in weeks to come.

Looks like as Clinton has sensed the strained relationship between Obama and Netanyahu and is looking to cover herself and garner support.

This is whatever, but she's also privately telling big donors that she'll be way better for Israel than Obama was.

edit: this letter wasn't without prompting, it was in exchange for the $2m he just gave her PAC.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Dangit, just when we were making a little progress.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
All the more reason to succumb to BERNIEMANIA! WOOOOOOOO GET EM TIGER

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Xandu posted:

This is whatever, but she's also privately telling big donors that she'll be way better for Israel than Obama was.

edit: this letter wasn't without prompting, it was in exchange for the $2m he just gave her PAC.

Yeah it's prime donation season. There was also a big politico article on this, never mind the fact that she gave a huge interview to Jeffrey Goldberg a few months ago calling the Gaza War justified.

She'd obviously prefer a Labor government and Sanders would prefer Meretz, but you have two committed Zionists leading the Democratic primary, and support a given on the other side. That's 8 years of a blank check for Israel minimum in the can. What'll really be interesting is if Hillary starts tangling with Europe over BDS.

edit: typed this without seeing the post above, Bernie supports groups like Meretz but is still definitively pro-Israel.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

edit: typed this without seeing the post above, Bernie supports groups like Meretz but is still definitively pro-Israel.

Yeah, I wasn't being serious, just felt like something was needed to break up elections sadchat.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Goddamnit, it's frustrating to know Obama's minor kerfuffle with Netanyahu based mostly on personal dislike is probably going to be the high point of American intransigence regarding Israel from now until the Palestinians are a distant memory.

I'm not sure what even more of a blank check could accomplish that hasn't already been done. Increased settlement in the West Bank? Annexation of Area C? Expulsion of Palestinians from East Jerusalem? I don't think Israel's restrained itself in any recent military venture due to America, so I guess the semi-annual Gaza bombardments will continue on schedule.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dolash posted:

Goddamnit, it's frustrating to know Obama's minor kerfuffle with Netanyahu based mostly on personal dislike is probably going to be the high point of American intransigence regarding Israel from now until the Palestinians are a distant memory.

I'm not sure what even more of a blank check could accomplish that hasn't already been done. Increased settlement in the West Bank? Annexation of Area C? Expulsion of Palestinians from East Jerusalem? I don't think Israel's restrained itself in any recent military venture due to America, so I guess the semi-annual Gaza bombardments will continue on schedule.

Being that Bibi will likely be in power a long time, I think we can be assured that in the long run Israel will strain its relations with the USA.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Crowsbeak posted:

Being that Bibi will likely be in power a long time, I think we can be assured that in the long run Israel will strain its relations with the USA.

His coalition right now is razor thin and he seems to have alienated a great deal of the Israeli public... but Netanyahu is nothing if not an utterly ruthless political survivor.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

New Division posted:

His coalition right now is razor thin and he seems to have alienated a great deal of the Israeli public... but Netanyahu is nothing if not an utterly ruthless political survivor.

Frankly the Palestinians salvation lies in Bibi staying in power and alienating Hillary.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Crowsbeak posted:

Frankly the Palestinians salvation lies in Bibi staying in power and alienating Hillary.

One can hope:

Bill Clinton after his first meeting with Bibi posted:

Who the gently caress does he think he is? Who's the loving superpower here?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Dolash posted:

The Americans have more influence with Israel as a friend than as an antagonist. The military aid is more of a subsidy to our defense contractors than anything, couched in a way that makes the religious base and pro-Israel donors happy. You're overlooking a lot of places where the sides have sparred, especially with regard to building in East Jerusalem. If you read the other side, it's story after story about how Obama hates Israel, so the complete other perspective does exist. (Regardless of the validity, because I think that's bullshit and this is bullshit too.)

I don't think another Gaza war will happen for a while. Hamas didn't want the last war to happen, it was started by rogue elements. They've been negotiating heavily with Israel lately per leaks in the Israeli press. Israel is weary of pissing off the Europeans for no tangible gain, and is actively trying to build on budding relationships with KSA and the Gulf States. Should be the status quo for now.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 7, 2015

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Got excited after seeing like 70+ posts in this thread then realized it was just MIGF up to his boring fuckery.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Kim Jong Il posted:

The Americans have more influence with Israel as a friend than as an antagonist. The military aid is more of a subsidy to our defense contractors than anything, couched in a way that makes the religious base and pro-Israel donors happy. You're overlooking a lot of places where the sides have sparred, especially with regard to building in East Jerusalem. If you read the other side, it's story after story about how Obama hates Israel, so the complete other perspective does exist. (Regardless of the validity, because I think that's bullshit and this is bullshit too.)

I don't think another Gaza war will happen for a while. Hamas didn't want the last war to happen, it was started by rogue elements. They've been negotiating heavily with Israel lately per leaks in the Israeli press. Israel is weary of pissing off the Europeans for no tangible gain, and is actively trying to build on budding relationships with KSA and the Gulf States. Should be the status quo for now.

If people think Obama hates Israel and the next President, Clinton or Bush, campaigns on being a better friend, wouldn't that "better friendship" be expressed as support for some ambitious move that Israel would not have been able to get away with while Obama was President? Building in East Jerusalem, for example, is something that got called counterproductive in the wishy-washy way that the current administration disagreed with Netanyahu. If Hillary continues to disapprove of that construction then she can't really contrast herself against Obama and those same accusations of being anti-Israel will carry over. If she approves, well, goodbye territorial integrity of the West Bank.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Not necessarily - in most draft agreements, the PA will be turning over parts of Jerusalem and settlement blocs near the Green Line. The Israeli government thinks there's a meaningful distinction between Ariel (which is massive and far beyond the Green Line), or the little outposts, and areas they'd keep in a draft agreement. In this sense, building in E1 is just a negotiating tactic, just like pushback against building is. Fatah launched the Second Intifada to similarly attempt to extract concessions.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When Hillary was running against Obama in the primary, I was working for a top firm on Wall Street. Firm partners would drop huge money to attend an in-person meeting at our offices in a conference room. Partners are obligated to pay (wink wink) but don't give a poo poo to show up, so Junior associates would be given the slot to meet Hillary. I learned I was supposed to meet Hillary Clinton 15 minutes beforehand; the partner was on a conference call. I hadn't slept or shaved, yay.

This was a perfunctory appearance. She shows up here for an hour, gets around 500-900k, the interests our firm represents maintain influence, badda bing badda boom.

In this room there were seven people, two of whom were intensely interested in Israel. Hillary gave a full-throated defense of that country, asserted its central role as our ally in foreign policy, and promised that no matter what happened, no matter what she had to say in public, Israel would be our enduring and favored partner in the region.

Yeah that's a lot of words, but that's what gets said in little fundraiser meetings to people who are reliable, regular donors to dems.

Martin Random fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 7, 2015

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Kim Jong Il posted:

Fatah launched the Second Intifada to similarly attempt to extract concessions.

Wasn't this just unsupported propaganda at the time to try and lay the blame at Arafat's door while negotiations were ongoing? From the actual accounts I've seen, it was a spontaneous uprising.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hillary's handwriting is terrible. "Look forwarl to wol4ry with yo on this"

Her position was already known though. Everyone knows she's a pro-Israel hawk.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
At least Bernie has the guts to get in a shouting match with voters at a town hall meeting about I/P. Hillary just magically doesn't seem to run into anybody who argues with her, and if she does there is no footage of it because all the journalists are behind a rope cordon down the street.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
One thing that will become interesting after the election is Bill Clinton. Hillary is proclaiming complete support for Israel and Netanyahu, but Bill has previously gone on record saying that Netanyahu and Israeli radicalism are the two forces that have done the most to make Middle East peace impossible, often making reference to the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin. He's kept quiet about it over the past couple of years, likely to avoid getting dragged into the campaign, but he slipped up last year and made his views pretty clear:

quote:

Hillary’s Israel script and knocks Netanyahu

In a conversation with pro-Palestinian activists in Iowa, the former president agrees: the Israeli PM won’t make peace 'unless he’s forced to.'

Former Senator Hillary Clinton has turned into a staunch defender of Israel in recent months, standing up for its military campaign in Gaza and praising Benjamin Netanyahu for his leadership and moderation. Her husband Bill, however, appears to have a different view that he seems willing to share, at least when he thinks the microphone is off. Thus, at a widely publicized political meeting held in Iowa on Sunday, Clinton was overheard clearly agreeing with an interlocutor from the audience who said that the Israeli Prime Minister is “not the man” who would make peace and just as clearly concurring with the statement “If we don’t force him to have peace, we won’t have peace.”

Clinton’s comments were recorded by the American C-Span network at the tail end of its three-hour coverage of the Harkin Steak Fry held on Sunday in Indianola, Iowa. The annual event, organized by retiring Democratic Senator Tom Harkin, received widespread media coverage in America and was largely seen as an opening shot in Hillary Clinton’s as yet unannounced run for the presidency in 2016.

Following the speeches, both Clintons devoted over half an hour to talking and signing autographs for long lines of waiting fans. Towards the end, after Hillary had already left the scene, Bill Clinton was stopped by a group of pro-Palestinian activists who had handed Hillary a copy of the Middle East section of the Iowa Democratic party plank. But while the former senator largely ignored the group’s verbal remarks, pro-Palestinian activist Pat Minor succeeded in baiting the former president. “I know why Yasser Arafatturned you down,” she said, according to her an account she shared with a United Methodist Church discussion group. Clinton then stopped to dispute her assertion that water rights had been the main stumbling block at the failed Camp David talks that Clinton oversaw in 2000, when another participant started talking about Netanyahu’s refusal to make peace, at which point the C-SPAN recording begins.

PRO-PALESTINIAN ACTIVIST: “If we don’t force him to have peace, we won’t have peace.”

CLINTON: First of all, I agree with that. But in 2000, Ehud Barak, I got him to agree to something I’m not sure I would have gotten Rabin to agree to, and Rabin was murdered for giving land to the Palestinians.

ACTIVIST: I agree. But Netanyahu is not the guy.

CLINTON: (after pausing to absorb the remark) I agree with that, but they [the Palestinians] would have gotten 96% of the West Bank, land swaps in Gaza, appropriate water rights and East Jerusalem, something that hasn’t even been discussed since I left office. And by the way, don’t forget, both Arafat and Abbas later said they would take it “we changed our minds, we’ll take it now” but by then the Israeli government wouldn’t give it to them.

Bill Clinton’s comments contrasted sharply with Hillary’s defense of Israel and praise for Netanyahu in her recent interview with Jeffrey Goldberg in the Atlantic this month. Clinton said that her husband “got Netanyahu to give up territory, which Netanyahu believes lost him the prime ministership [in his first term], but he moved in that direction, as hard as it was.”

In the interview, Clinton also downplayed her own confrontations with Netanyahu when she was Secretary of State during President Obama’s first term and lauded the Israeli leaders willingness to compromise. “I saw Netanyahu move from being against the two-state solution to announcing his support for it, to considering all kinds of Barak-like options, way far from what he is, and what he is comfortable with,” she said.

On her way to the Steak Fry, the Clinton’s may also have noticed a demonstration held by a handful of members of the American Friends Service Committee who held signs that said, "Hillary, end your complicity with Israel War crimes," and "Who profits? Who pays?"

Spokespersons for both Bill and Hillary Clinton declined to comment about this report. 

I don't expect Bill to change Hillary's mind or anything, but I do expect he'll probably be more vocal once the election season is over and he can speak out without endangering a Democratic campaign, and his perspective on Israel is a rare one among Democrats.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Martin Random posted:

When Hillary was running against Obama in the primary, I was working for a top firm on Wall Street. Firm partners would drop huge money to attend an in-person meeting at our offices in a conference room. Partners are obligated to pay (wink wink) but don't give a poo poo to show up, so Junior associates would be given the slot to meet Hillary. I learned I was supposed to meet Hillary Clinton 15 minutes beforehand; the partner was on a conference call. I hadn't slept or shaved, yay.

This was a perfunctory appearance. She shows up here for an hour, gets around 500-900k, the interests our firm represents maintain influence, badda bing badda boom.

In this room there were seven people, two of whom were intensely interested in Israel. Hillary gave a full-throated defense of that country, asserted its central role as our ally in foreign policy, and promised that no matter what happened, no matter what she had to say in public, Israel would be our enduring and favored partner in the region.

Yeah that's a lot of words, but that's what gets said in little fundraiser meetings to people who are reliable, regular donors to dems.

I've worked on the other end of this being the guy whom you give your check to, and boy, what's great about America is just how nuch freedom our communities have to organize and advocate for issues of social justice, like you saw with jews and their informal advocacy for Israel's continued existance as the Jewish state.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
At last, noted Something Awful Goon and $500,000 an hour check receiver My Imaginary GF finally speaks out.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Main Paineframe posted:

One thing that will become interesting after the election is Bill Clinton. Hillary is proclaiming complete support for Israel and Netanyahu, but Bill has previously gone on record saying that Netanyahu and Israeli radicalism are the two forces that have done the most to make Middle East peace impossible, often making reference to the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin. He's kept quiet about it over the past couple of years, likely to avoid getting dragged into the campaign, but he slipped up last year and made his views pretty clear:

I don't expect Bill to change Hillary's mind or anything, but I do expect he'll probably be more vocal once the election season is over and he can speak out without endangering a Democratic campaign, and his perspective on Israel is a rare one among Democrats.

This is more of a Presidential election discussion, but I'm actually pretty curious how vocal (or at least influential behind the scenes) Bill will be in a Hillary administration, since he wouldn't want to undermine her or give the impression that he's being President through her. Hillary was politically prominent for a First Lady during Bill's administration so there may be some precedent there where he can get away with being politically active, but I seriously doubt he'd do anything as dangerous as publicly disagree with her on Israel.

Hopefully Netanyahu just gets on her nerves the same way he did Obama's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

She would spin it as while she supports the country and people of Israel she does not necessarily agree with very certain defined things the current government does or says.

As it stands we have no idea how Netanyahu would act during Hillary's adminitration because as hes proved time and time again hes a ruthless short term political oppurtunist.

• Locked thread