Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Akett posted:

Wow, so either the terramap thing can only find strange plants as the inventory item after you harvest one and put it in a chest but not the growing plants themselves, or there has only been one goddamn strange plant that has grown on all my worlds since this patch.

I can believe it. I've only seen two in the entire time my friend and I have been doing our particular Expert Medium world, and I haven't seen any in the throwaway Normal Small worlds I've created, nor has he returned from any of his worlds (including the one Normal Large world he has) with any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Apparently you can farm Strange Plants with a Skybridge made entirely of dirt. Nothing but them grows on plain dirt, so they grow.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

That's kind of wrong because blinkroot can grow on plain dirt. But it's still a higher chance of them growing, so I think I'll build some dirty skybridges.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

RatHat posted:

There's no way to save corrupted worlds if the backup is corrupted too right?

Are they 1.1 worlds? To fix it, you have to load them with 1.2 somehow. I acquired the GOG version of 1.2, loaded the worlds, quit, then they loaded ok in 1.3.

Make backups!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Why so extravagant? Behold the foundations to my glorious empire!

I allow them the sight of the sun as it reminds them they were once free.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Terraria 1.3 - This Old NPC Gulag

You guys are monsters

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

No Safe Word posted:

Terraria 1.3 - This Old NPC Gulag

You guys are monsters

No, we're people who played Terraria before 1.3~!

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Yeah, I don't understand why space is at such a premium that people feel the need to shove their NPCs into tiny boxes.

The new NPC mechanics are part of why I decided to put stairs in my base this time:

If you look closely, you can see the NPCs clustered together and mingling.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

E. Holy poo poo, got beaten bad. That's what I get for not refreshing.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 6, 2015

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!

Wyvernil posted:

Yeah, I don't understand why space is at such a premium that people feel the need to shove their NPCs into tiny boxes.

I think that it's mostly because early in the game it's :effort: to set up actual base with rooms and stuff - easier to stuff them into tiny hugboxes so they don't get violently murdered by wandering slimes and/or zombies.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Wyvernil posted:

I care less about the NPC mechanics and more about shooting floating cthulus

One of my favorite things with the 1.3 patch has to be the random minecart tracks scattered throughout the world. It's fun to discover them and just zoom around.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

King Doom posted:

They'll prolly do what they usually do and nerf the spectre set again.
Please no, it's hard enough already to run the Hood in multiplayer.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The game now has a shitload of content even before hardmode. I'm enjoying the new world and character I made so much that I haven't even gotten to Skeletron and there is just so much fun stuff to do!

That sad I think I might keep my Starfury for a good while even after I get better weaponry, the star is just too useful revealing caves when underground.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Mortvert posted:

I think that it's mostly because early in the game it's :effort: to set up actual base with rooms and stuff - easier to stuff them into tiny hugboxes so they don't get violently murdered by wandering slimes and/or zombies.

It helps that you don't have to babysit the NPCs as much now that they can actually fight back - they can deal with aforementioned wandering slimes and zombies by themselves now.

I'm guessing, though, that actual bosses will still be too much for them, so you should build your boss arena some distance away.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Man, the golden key requirement for sky chests was removed in 1.2? Why the heck did I think I needed them still? Like, I found a floating island and even saw the chest inside with no lock on it but it just didn't process. I only found it so I could build my own Sky Lake for Angler fishing quests, but when my multiplayer co-op buddy came to the island he was like "oh what was in the chest?" "We haven't done the Dungeon yet, so I can't check yet?" :doh:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
It's too bad that by the time you can make the Drill Containment Unit you already have pretty much all the ore you'll ever need because :sbahj:

I guess if you want to clear underground space for things it's handy! or get ALL the dungeon bricks.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Blackheart posted:

The game now has a shitload of content even before hardmode. I'm enjoying the new world and character I made so much that I haven't even gotten to Skeletron and there is just so much fun stuff to do!

That sad I think I might keep my Starfury for a good while even after I get better weaponry, the star is just too useful revealing caves when underground.

I keep Starfury on my hotbar for cave-diving even now I'm into Hardmode.

Also I clocked around 25 hours on this character before beating the Wall of Flesh. This game is awesome.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any benefit to using a trap door instead of wood platforms?

By the way, how difficult is the Martian invasion event compared to the Pumpkin and Frost moon ones? It looks much easier to me but the downside is you can't start the event whenever you want.

EDIT: Man this feels like a whole different game with grappling hooks. Makes rope almost useless though.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 6, 2015

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

kazil posted:

One of my favorite things with the 1.3 patch has to be the random minecart tracks scattered throughout the world. It's fun to discover them and just zoom around. into lava pools

Fixed.

RatHat posted:

Any benefit to using a trap door instead of wood platforms?

I never saw enemies open trap doors, but they can drop through platforms.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
The Martian Invasion didn't seem that hard to me assuming you cheese the UFOs. Just make sure you've got some kind of weapon that can pierce through solid blocks (or go around them, like a yoyo) and then just hole up in a house and you should be fine.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The laser drill from the martians is so poo poo.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Pax Goblina

"there will be peace in our goblin time" - neville goblinlain

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

pon alien posted:

The laser drill from the martians is so poo poo.

On the other hand, the ufo mount is the best thing ever. I cannot imagine fighting the cultist or some of those pillars without being able to fly around randomly with my swarm of killer ufo minions murdering everything. And the ufo mount goes just slightly faster than the moon lord so I just kited him over my base repeatedly with mirror trips to the nurse. I haven't used wings or spectre boots since I got that mount. Got the Celestial shell for water.

Edit:
Just a relaxing day fishing in the underground Crimson.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 6, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So, the Sponge has been advertised to me as being an "infinite bucket".

This is a highly disappointing advertisement.

Not only can it not absorb lava, thus ruining the most amazing function of the bucket, you can't even output what you absorb, as far as I can tell.

Back to the bucket-mobile. At least there's an infinite water bucket, but sadly no infinite lava bucket.

1.3.0.4 infinite lava bucket please Redigit!

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 6, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rather than agonize over what to do and never be satisfied, I'm gonna post my base and ask if anyone here has any suggestions.

I just took out the doors on the first two floors and I'm just gonna use the trap doors because the NPCs don't get stronger once you activate hardmode.

I've got to make room for another four NPCs and that'll be it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Supremezero posted:

So, the Sponge has been advertised to me as being an "infinite bucket".

This is a highly disappointing advertisement.

Not only can it not absorb lava, thus ruining the most amazing function of the bucket, you can't even output what you absorb, as far as I can tell.

Back to the bucket-mobile. At least there's an infinite water bucket, but sadly no infinite lava bucket.

1.3.0.4 infinite lava bucket please Redigit!

you mean some people walk around with less than 198 buckets on them at a time

smh

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Well at least buckets stack now, that's a big plus.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

Rather than agonize over what to do and never be satisfied, I'm gonna post my base and ask if anyone here has any suggestions.

I just took out the doors on the first two floors and I'm just gonna use the trap doors because the NPCs don't get stronger once you activate hardmode.

I recommend building a giant horrible monument out of flesh and bones blocks in that empty space.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone else noticed items randomly vanishing from existence on them? I've had 4 items, including a summoning staff from the Moon Lord just up and vanish on me in under an hour today. I'd say I'm just being clumsy and losing stuff but I was working on a a building project so if I had dropped it I would have been able to find it. I also never remember just straight up losing poo poo like this before in Terraria. Does hard mode have some sort of item degradation or something? My inventory was full at the time, if that makes a difference. On an unrelated note, is there some sort of cheating program that will let me give my character items?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ugly-rear end ice castle I'm making:

There's definitely room for more NPCs but figuring out a decent spatial arrangement is work. :effort:

Also, does corruption overwrite other biomes it spreads over for purposes of angler quests? Because I swear there's a giant ice lake that just won't give up the underwater tundra quest fish.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

RareAcumen posted:

Turn it into a giant armoured land train.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Blackheart posted:

Well at least buckets stack now, that's a big plus.

It does make your liquid generators a bit more interesting though because when you fill a bucket that bucket essentially leaves your inventory and then comes back as a new item. So if you have a stack of 99 empty buckets on hotbar key 9 and then fill one, you now have a stack of 98 empty buckets on hotbar key 9 and then your filled bucket goes into the first empty spot. So if you want to do the infinite liquid trick with rapidly filling/emptying a single bucket you have to drop all but one bucket so that it goes back into the same inventory slot when it gets emptied/filled. Practically not a real problem unless you're doing it in a hostile area, which ... well since I've been fishing like crazy on a single world, I've had to make makeshift lakes in many biomes and so .. I've done the "fill a dozen buckets, empty them, drop all but one, generate more liquid" trick a bit. In retrospect I probably should have literally just made 99+ buckets at base and carried them there but there was a bit of fun in doing that dance.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone else noticed items randomly vanishing from existence on them? I've had 4 items, including a summoning staff from the Moon Lord just up and vanish on me in under an hour today. I'd say I'm just being clumsy and losing stuff but I was working on a a building project so if I had dropped it I would have been able to find it. I also never remember just straight up losing poo poo like this before in Terraria. Does hard mode have some sort of item degradation or something? My inventory was full at the time, if that makes a difference. On an unrelated note, is there some sort of cheating program that will let me give my character items?
You aren't alone. I've tried to use an inventory editor to give myself the Last Prism (I'm sorry but the Moon Lord is too much of an rear end in a top hat for me to handle) and every time I leave it in a chest, leave the world, and come back, it's gone. This has happened several times.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

and for all of those who feel bad when others post their awesome, creative house designs.. you're not alone, meet the Sky Bunker :

unimaginative, gaudy, efficient.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Do I need to place a background down my trench, or is open air fine?

Along with that, do I need to clear out the antlion den background, or is leaving that fine?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Excelzior posted:

and for all of those who feel bad when others post their awesome, creative house designs.. you're not alone, meet the Sky Bunker :

This is the most beautiful base ever.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

The Moon Monster posted:

Did you use the autosort button? I was loosing stuff as well, till I realised it was sorting items into nearby chests as well, as long as there was one of the item in there already.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Excelzior posted:

you mean some people walk around with less than 198 buckets on them at a time

smh

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

me fail English? that's unpossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Excelzior posted:

The opulent room of gold is a great touch.