Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

symbolic posted:

You aren't alone. I've tried to use an inventory editor to give myself the Last Prism (I'm sorry but the Moon Lord is too much of an rear end in a top hat for me to handle) and every time I leave it in a chest, leave the world, and come back, it's gone. This has happened several times.

I've got a spare one. It's got crap stats though, you'll need to reforge it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Wyvernil posted:

Yeah, I don't understand why space is at such a premium that people feel the need to shove their NPCs into tiny boxes.

Unless you hang a lot of stuff on walls, big rooms look empty and ugly.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

symbolic posted:

You aren't alone. I've tried to use an inventory editor to give myself the Last Prism (I'm sorry but the Moon Lord is too much of an rear end in a top hat for me to handle) and every time I leave it in a chest, leave the world, and come back, it's gone. This has happened several times.

This was actually stuff I had gotten legitimately, I've never used an inventory editor or anything.

quote:

Did you use the autosort button? I was loosing stuff as well, till I realised it was sorting items into nearby chests as well, as long as there was one of the item in there already.

Not intentionally, and I did check in nearby chests.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

This was actually stuff I had gotten legitimately, I've never used an inventory editor or anything.

I've had stuff disappear off the ground before but not out of chests that I've noticed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

King Doom posted:

Turn it into a giant armoured land train.

Now there's a suggestion. All I need is some kind of reference.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
what's the best mechanical boss to first fight against on Expert? I'm currently about to make mythril tier armor and was originally planning on going the magic route but was able to finish up a yo-yo bag and might just go melee. I have a railway across my entire map so I can kite pretty easily; haven't built a proper arena yet

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

RareAcumen posted:

Now there's a suggestion. All I need is some kind of reference.

The Convoy map from Unreal Tournament

EDIT: Or Snowpiercer I guess.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Have any of you got the Seedler yet? I fished it a few days ago and you can pretty much forget yo-yos, that thing loving wrecks everything on that point of the game (just killed the Twins with it).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tamayachi posted:

The Convoy map from Unreal Tournament

EDIT: Or Snowpiercer I guess.

I appreciate the attempt to help but I mean like a 2-d example because I'm absolute poo poo at building. I mean, I'm so bad that I can't take that picture and turn it into a base by looking at it bad. :downs:

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

All aboard for NPC prisons!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Played some more today with my brother. Right when I started to build more of my base, it started raining slimes. Annoying, weird, but not really a big deal...until king slime fell out of the sky which I was not expecting. My brother went crazy because he didn't even know bosses were in the game. He also got squashed into a fine paste because his gear is still garbage, which is fine by me since it meant I got first dibs on the loot. Super excited to get the slime hook since I thought I would have to wait all the way until the jungle to get a triple hook.

On base chat; you guys who say you're terrible at building pretty bases? I want one of you to take that theme and run with it. Make your base a hideous, ugly pile of junk. All sorts of blocks mashed together into massive heaps. Literal trash prisons the NPCs are forced to live inside. Decorations clashing together in hideous and nonsensical ways. Make a base so hideous that it wraps around into being beautiful.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I've had stuff vanish using the "Deposit All" button. It acts like it's being deposited into slots that aren't there and it's gone forever.

Internet Kraken posted:

On base chat; you guys who say you're terrible at building pretty bases? I want one of you to take that theme and run with it. Make your base a hideous, ugly pile of junk. All sorts of blocks mashed together into massive heaps. Literal trash prisons the NPCs are forced to live inside. Decorations clashing together in hideous and nonsensical ways. Make a base so hideous that it wraps around into being beautiful.

This is what me and my friend are doing on the world we play together on. Just building rooms randomly connected together however out of whatever. I just recently learned that you can turn platforms into stairs so I don't have to build a screwy network of block stairs and underground tunnels to make every room accessible anymore.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 7, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

You don't want me to build wooden beams passing through platforms.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

poxin posted:

All aboard for NPC prisons!

yesss yessssssss :unsmigghh:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

I appreciate the attempt to help but I mean like a 2-d example because I'm absolute poo poo at building. I mean, I'm so bad that I can't take that picture and turn it into a base by looking at it bad. :downs:

http://i.imgur.com/gFQqP5z.png

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I spent a lot of time on my friends' and my 1.3 world building an actual little village for our NPCs to live in instead of just a lovely series of tiny boxes in a prison tower. Then we lost every NPC to eclipses/blood moons/martian madness a couple times because someone would be AFK in the spawn so stuff would spawn around them and I ended up roofing/walling the entire village up because it was a huge pain in the rear end to have to wait for the arms dealer to come back to buy ammo.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
The real purpose of the Drill Containment Unit is so that you can build grinders.

Because I'm going to get a Nazar if it kills me

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I've had stuff vanish using the "Deposit All" button. It acts like it's being deposited into slots that aren't there and it's gone forever.

This is what me and my friend are doing on the world we play together on. Just building rooms randomly connected together however out of whatever. I just recently learned that you can turn platforms into stairs so I don't have to build a screwy network of block stairs and underground tunnels to make every room accessible anymore.

I'm convinced I'm somehow triggering an anti-cheating program or something. I just had my moon lord prism summoning staff disappear less then a minute after starting the game and doing nothing but rearranging my accessory slots. I was able to get it back by alt-f4ing since I actually noticed it happen this time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are the early yoyos worth crafting?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

RatHat posted:

Are the early yoyos worth crafting?

None of the Yoyos are worth crafting. The good ones are all drops.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh yeah, that's right. Terraria's an update that gives players actual sprites for sleeping in beds and sitting in chairs away from being the better Starbound.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's a certain beauty to a base that's just organically built up as needed out of whatever is to hand.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Ixjuvin posted:

Because I'm going to get a Nazar if it kills me

You could just do that in a pre-hardmode dungeon. The flying skulls are way drat more common than the enchanted weapons.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm convinced I'm somehow triggering an anti-cheating program or something. I just had my moon lord prism summoning staff disappear less then a minute after starting the game and doing nothing but rearranging my accessory slots. I was able to get it back by alt-f4ing since I actually noticed it happen this time.

I cheat out my rear end. After farming up some rainbow dye I now have 99 of every common dye and I routinely give myself 999 torches because going back to the surface for wood is for chumps and have yet to have it affect that. I think the game just shits its self sometimes.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
What are people finding compliments summoning builds well? I imagine most people are using magic to give them an active ranged attack that doesn't rely on specialized gear to keep your ammo/projectiles in stock. I've been messing around with some melee options as my multiplayer group approaches the end of normal mode.

Also, gently caress the 10min timer on the Bewitching Table. I've taken to just carrying one around with me to plop down and pick up since the buff timer is so short.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Supremezero posted:

None of the Yoyos are worth crafting. The good ones are all drops.

The jungle yoyo is absolutely worth crafting, unless your traveling merchant had a Code 1 in stock early on. Surviving the jungle long enough to get the materials isn't very hard and it's an excellent weapon all the way up to the dungeon, when you can find one that's better.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Internet Kraken posted:

Bonus mess: I have no idea what's in any of those chests so I always have to go through all of them if I'm trying to find something specific :sigh:

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

graynull posted:

What are people finding compliments summoning builds well? I imagine most people are using magic to give them an active ranged attack that doesn't rely on specialized gear to keep your ammo/projectiles in stock. I've been messing around with some melee options as my multiplayer group approaches the end of normal mode.

Also, gently caress the 10min timer on the Bewitching Table. I've taken to just carrying one around with me to plop down and pick up since the buff timer is so short.

The Vortex beater or Phantasm with infinite ammo item or the Solar Eruption make good hard-hitting weapons that aren't reliant on mana. (to which summoner gear does not give a bonus)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Tamayachi posted:

Bonus mess: I have no idea what's in any of those chests so I always have to go through all of them if I'm trying to find something specific :sigh:

It really helps to spend five minutes sorting them out and then name 'em.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

graynull posted:

The Bewitching Table and Crystal Ball are both super tedious and should just be indefinite until you die or remove the buff manually.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It really helps to spend five minutes sorting them out and then name 'em.

Definitely. It's one of those "I'll get around to it oh but first I want to fish for 3 hours" kind of deals. My 1.1 worlds were always so organized compared to this haphazard mess I've created :negative:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

It's sort of supposed to look like a collection of houses overlapping with each other, although I didn't quite succeed I think. It's not made of super expensive stuff, but I think it came together pretty well. My favorite part is how the Party Girl decided to move into the exterior Cask Of Amontillado room in the basement.

Tamayachi posted:

Too much effort: you actually bothered to flatten the terrain! Also, how on earth do you live with only having four chests. Don't you know you have to steal and hoard everything?!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Did I miss it in the OP or is there a 'newbie guide to quick starting' or something? Like a progression of what to make/get in the beginning of the game? I haven't played in forever and re-downloaded with 1.3. With approximately a billion things to get/make, it's a bit overwhelming in the beginning.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Mzbundifund posted:

Too much effort: you actually bothered to flatten the terrain! Also, how on earth do you live with only having four chests. Don't you know you have to steal and hoard everything?!

Not pictured: three more chests, a gold, a mushroom and a jungle chest just sitting out in the open to the right of the image border. Plus a gold chest on the left and 2 sky chests on the second floor.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

Did I miss it in the OP or is there a 'newbie guide to quick starting' or something? Like a progression of what to make/get in the beginning of the game? I haven't played in forever and re-downloaded with 1.3. With approximately a billion things to get/make, it's a bit overwhelming in the beginning.

The Guide gives a ton of hints as to what to do when starting out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

It's sort of supposed to look like a collection of houses overlapping with each other, although I didn't quite succeed I think. It's not made of super expensive stuff, but I think it came together pretty well. My favorite part is how the Party Girl decided to move into the exterior Cask Of Amontillado room in the basement.

I like how you walled off the Clothier with stone.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Anyone tested if the Ninja set bonuses work with the Bone Glove? That thing plows through the Dungeon so well, I need to know if I can make it even better.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

RareAcumen posted:

I like how you walled off the Clothier with stone.

It is such a dick move to do that to the poor Clothier :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

You start with a copper shortsword. The first thing you should do is cut down some trees, make a workbench, and make a wooden longsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sjonnar posted:

The Vortex beater or Phantasm with infinite ammo item or the Solar Eruption make good hard-hitting weapons that aren't reliant on mana. (to which summoner gear does not give a bonus)

Which ammo have infinite versions now?