Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

LionYeti posted:

Just don't ever use breath of life. Problem solved.

But I was Eden and started with it and thought I could walk over some spikes to get a key. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The invincibility doesn't kick in until the bar runs out.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Start as Eden, start with the Book of Matches so 3 bombs spawn next to me right as the game begins. They're all troll bombs. Jesus.

YGCA K3CJ if you want to try.

Edit: Seems like a lot of troll bombs this run. Got bomb-screwed pretty bad until near the endgame.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 4, 2015

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
So I'm guppy with soy milk, crazy fast fly generation. I pick up tech 2 and my fly generation immediately tanks, I guess the tech 2 laser doesn't generate flies like it did in the original?

Here's a seed I never thought I'd see in Rebirth: RS1V V9W6

Devil deal on every floor. Every devil deal has items. No krampus, no red chests.

e:

IMJack posted:

YGCA K3CJ if you want to try.
Jesus, and then it has 3 bombs and a tinted rock in 1st room up that you can't access. But getting libra is amazing most of the time.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 5, 2015

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Just got the God Head. It turns out playing The Lost as intended is way more enjoyable than start scumming for the Dead Cat or Holy Mantle.

That said, time to start scum for Super Meat Boy. I don't understand the steam page- is there an obvious way to see what you have left to do?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Each character has a list of icons on the top left of the character select screen that indicates whether they've killed Mom/Isaac/???/Satan/the Lamb/ beaten the boss rush and in which difficulty you did them, and the challenges menu will cross each one off after you complete them. Beyond that, the secrets are hidden until you complete them; the Steam achievements list has a partial set of them with usually vaguely unhelpful descriptions, and going into the global stats will reveal the names of them all, but if you want an actual description of what to do you'll need to go on the wiki or something.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Soul plus a full set of orbitals means you can just stand in the door when fighting Isaac or ??? until their third phase, and just stand in front of Mega Satan's final form and be untouched.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Sanctum posted:

So I'm guppy with soy milk, crazy fast fly generation. I pick up tech 2 and my fly generation immediately tanks, I guess the tech 2 laser doesn't generate flies like it did in the original?

With tech 2, you keep firing tears in addition to the laser. Only those tears generate flies, not the laser itself. The tech 1 laser still generates flies iirc.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Codiekitty posted:

Maybe this is his way of punishing the player base for data mining the Lost and hating him?

I still find it funny that Ed (apparently) got legitimately upset about this despite the fact that the community was already well on the way to figuring it out when it got data-mined. People had figured out the lost-poster-sacrafice-for-a-puzzle-piece thing and were in the process of putting them together. All the datamine really did was save people a week or two of busywork.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

ChibiSoma posted:

Dude's favorite character is The Lost, of course he doesn't loving get what makes the game fun.

Contra. :colbert:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

I still find it funny that Ed (apparently) got legitimately upset about this despite the fact that the community was already well on the way to figuring it out when it got data-mined. People had figured out the lost-poster-sacrafice-for-a-puzzle-piece thing and were in the process of putting them together. All the datamine really did was save people a week or two of busywork.

Yeah I think he was maybe too busy being angry to realize that it was already pretty much figured out

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Yama is currently on a 3-0 no-reset win streak with The Lost.

e: RIP

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 6, 2015

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

:raise: "They... datamined my finest piece of work?"
:geno: "Well, they already figured the puzzle so it just saved a bit of time."
:byodood: "Burn the game and salt the earth!"

Imagine the "BEES!!!" gif but with "RNG" instead of bees. Here's hoping the expansion will be good in spite of itself, I'm sure there'll be a bunch of super neat stuff even though I'm a bit worried.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some of the stuff I hear does really feel like he's going "Wait, people are... ENJOYING my game? That wasn't what I intended at all! Time to change Guppy so that when you get three Guppy pieces it permanently blindfolds you and gives you a hairball to attack instead."

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Again, the game being good despite his terrible design choices is a central theme of Isaac. Grabbing a speedrunning savefile with everything unlocked and 999 Eden tokens so I could have casual fun on Normal mode did more for my enjoyment of this game than anything else.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The thing I hate about a lot of the achievements in this game is they're grindy as hell and really require a good start. When Balls of Steel was playing Cobalt made a comment how he thought it was silly that PS4 users wanted a quick reset button because you can't speed run it or use it in BoS so who cares?

Running my PC during the summer heats my apartment up considerably so I try to use consoles only and when you're resetting a million times to look for a decent start to do <insert stupid achievement here> without quick reset you spend well over 4x the time starting a new run. It really saps the fun out of trying to 100% the game. I'm at least to the point on my personal save where all that's left is running every character and touching every item but a lot of the tasks required were completely Not Fun. I'm glad I cheesed Lost because that character is awful and by far the worst part of the game.

I definitely have a lot more fun using Isaac with the D6 and just seeing what happens in a run or using Eden than working on completing the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flyboi posted:

I definitely have a lot more fun using Isaac with the D6 and just seeing what happens in a run or using Eden than working on completing the game.

I really want to enjoy these characters, but with Eden I have the worst luck and the fact that it uses tokens stresses me out and with Isaac I always feel the urge to min-max using the D6 and as such it becomes more of a chore than something fun. Instead of being "yay, I can reroll an item" it's "oh no, if I did this in a slightly different order I could have gotten another reroll.. Run ruined" :(

That said, my favorite character in this game is by far Judas. The extra damage goes a long way and it's probably the easiest character besides Azazel which is nice when you want to steamroll everything but not steamroll too much. I also have the most ridiculous luck with him and I don't think I've had a run in the last 30+ runs that didn't involve Max's Head, Magic Mushroom, Rubber Cement, The Parasite, Guppy or Brimstone. v:v:v

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Funny hearing about Eden. You guys knew that rolling Brimstone and Tammy's Head in your fuckin' starting loadout kinda makes the game an afterthought? Getting Spirit of The Night and Dark Bum probably helped too.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Cheekio posted:

Just got the God Head. It turns out playing The Lost as intended is way more enjoyable than start scumming for the Dead Cat or Holy Mantle.

That said, time to start scum for Super Meat Boy. I don't understand the steam page- is there an obvious way to see what you have left to do?

Steam Achievement Manager also shows you what you have left.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Mystery Machine posted:

Again, the game being good despite his terrible design choices is a central theme of Isaac. Grabbing a speedrunning savefile with everything unlocked and 999 Eden tokens so I could have casual fun on Normal mode did more for my enjoyment of this game than anything else.

Thats what I'm gonna do after I get regular platinum god. I want to do everything else myself but screw the lost.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
BoI Rebirth will be released for XBone on July 23

Also this is a new store item

It forces double treasure rooms, but without it there's still a small chance to get a double treasure room.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Neat. Is that a corn stalk on the right?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Breaking this game with Afterbirth seems like it will be all too easy unless the game really screws with charging item rarity.

I find it interesting how he says "some you may have to work for in the game"

I wonder if the More Options! also has a chance to spawn whatever these gently caress you rooms will be.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Waffle! posted:

It must be pretty poo poo if he went with the Bucket of Lard instead.

(Okay, okay, I imagine he went with the lard so as not to spoil whatever the item on the right is. Although that raises the question of why he used an Afterbirth item in the first place.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To tease that it exists and make people speculate on what it is!

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Well, given the direction Edmund is taking things right now, I hypothesize that it's a passive item that turns all poops into corny poops.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LionYeti posted:

Just don't ever use breath of life. Problem solved.

Breath of Life is Crack the Sky in original BoI levels of useless, I haven't picked it up in like 200 game hours

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Waffle! posted:

Looks like a White Lotus to me, maybe.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Power of Pecota posted:

Breath of Life is Crack the Sky in original BoI levels of useless, I haven't picked it up in like 200 game hours

Crack the sky was good in WotL, they hosed it in rebirth though.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IMJack posted:

BoI Rebirth will be released for XBone on July 23

Also this is a new store item

It forces double treasure rooms, but without it there's still a small chance to get a double treasure room.

Are those a new addition or have there always been double treasure rooms? I've never seen one in all my hours of playing .

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Are those a new addition or have there always been double treasure rooms? I've never seen one in all my hours of playing .

new

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

IMJack posted:

looks kinda like a white Venus Fly Trap to me, but my eyesight is garbage.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.
Looks like a white tulip to me

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I just fought ultra pride, but instead of the the little UP, there was one of those angel babies that shoot three tears. Anyone else ever seen this? I killed it before my brain had processed what was happening, so I didn't get a screen shot.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You very rarely get an Angelic Baby instead of Florian. No idea if it's intended or a bug. It could be like Buttless Chub where it was a bug carried over from WotL because people got a kick out of it, but who knows for certain?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

quote:

there is always a tiny chance that the treasure room may become a double treasure room, luck will also play a role in this.
but not all treasure rooms will be like the one in the gif.. some you may need to work for, but ill let you see for yourself when you actually find one in game.

The 'a' in treasure links to a picture of an OWS protester holding a sign that says GREED KILLS.

Could it possibly be ULTRA GREED?

:stonk:

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Anyone looking to breathe some life into Isaac in these (hopefully) few short weeks until Afterbirth, I would recommend trying out the Godmode mod on https://www.moddingofisaac.com. It changes the game in some really interesting ways, the biggest change is the pacing of the game. The mod throws a ton of items at you early game, but a lot of the super overpowered items have had their drop rates decreased (Abbadon, Brimstone, Judas' Shadow). This means a lot of planning and strategy needs to go into beating the final 2 floors of the game because the difficulty spikes through the roof.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Personally, I enjoy the Heretic mod (http://www.moddingofisaac.com./mod/413/hereticmod) more than Godmode. Godmode goes a little too far over the top for my tastes. Both/Either are worth checking out for a change of pace, though.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It looks good, but it crashes to desktop whenever I try to start a new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I have actually considered getting into the modding stuff for Rebirth, but... meh. Lazy.

I even downloaded the "original music" mod because I loved Daniel's themes, but then never installed it. Nor did I install the "hats and hair for Eden" mod that supposedly gives you like 200 hair styles.