Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

They don't even mention New Vegas in that article.

Yeah I was expecting them to contrast it with New Vegas toward the end of the article, but I don't imagine it was any better received.

Maxwellsdemon posted:

Anyone who does not base their entire exsistance around my favorite 20 year old game "Is part of the joke". I just beat fallout 3 and now it is time to play New Vegas again.

It's pretty much whining about how kids don't know what actual fun is anymore its really sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Most NMA posters actually really love New Vegas--the basic idea is "shame about the engine but this is an actual, real sequel, with everything we liked about the old games in tact and a lot of what we were excited for in Van Buren implemented".

Just to be a little bit positive, I would've loved FO4 in spite of its issues and not have waded into the painful ownage cycle itt if they'd just improved the shooting and animations and added weapon crafting and settlement building, but the focus on story and forcing me to play as Sgt. John Fallout, 54th Regiment Laser Musketeer is some ol' poo poo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Most NMA posters actually really love New Vegas--the basic idea is "shame about the engine but this is an actual, real sequel, with everything we liked about the old games in tact and a lot of what we were excited for in Van Buren implemented".

Just to be a little bit positive, I would've loved FO4 in spite of its issues and not have waded into the painful ownage cycle itt if they'd just improved the shooting and animations and added weapon crafting and settlement building, but the focus on story and forcing me to play as Sgt. John Fallout, 54th Regiment Laser Musketeer is some ol' poo poo

Did Fallout 4 already come out or something?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yup, and just like the failures of Fallout 3 and Skyrim, Fallout 4 is a terrible game

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Postal 4 was pretty awesome, I dunno what you jerks are going on about :colbert:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I mean "would have" like when you're talking about an alternate universe, not when you're talking about the past tense. And I'm only talking about stuff they've demoed!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

frajaq posted:

Yup, and just like the failures of Fallout 3 and Skyrim, Fallout 4 is a terrible game

dont act like new vegas didnt play like a wheelchair with a bent wheel

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Blue Raider posted:

it had turbo engines so you rolled forward and hit your face every 30 meters

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
New leaked screenshots of actual in game footage from the game:

drat, look at those sweet next gen graphics. Thank god this game is going to be super story rich.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

drat, look at those sweet next gen graphics. Thank god this game is going to be super story rich.

Can't tell if trolling...

ImmovableSquid
May 1, 2011
Floss Finder

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Uh. Yeah. Wow. Those are just a ton of reused assets from the last two games. My money is on fan reproduction in the old engine.

It loving better be!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psychotic Weasel posted:

:golfclap:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

chitoryu12 posted:

Can't tell if trolling...

ImmovableSquid posted:

Uh. Yeah. Wow. Those are just a ton of reused assets from the last two games. My money is on fan reproduction in the old engine.

It loving better be!

Nope, this is 100% authentic, just like all the other leaks. Can't believe you guys don't believe me. It's not like this thread is full of misleading or outright wrong information with goons going for each other's necks over a loving video game.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Psychotic Weasel posted:

like even for a troll pic, that pic had to be taken with the game running in the lowest detail possible mode. i feel like it's so lovely that it gives the joke away

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Not really, the 3D Fallout games look that bad.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This reminds me that Obsidian teased us with the Railway Rifle model in Mick and Ralph's but didn't actually put the gun in the game :negative:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Blue Raider posted:

How Fallout 4 Will Be Better Because of Skyrim's Technical Issues

quote:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim launched in 2011 to critical acclaim, but players sometimes encountered bugs during their playthroughs. Developer Bethesda had trouble working with the PlayStation 3, specifically, having to deal with issues in the game that delayed DLC for the PS3 version for months. Bethesda has learned from the rough state of Skyrim, however, and is aiming to apply those lessons to the upcoming release of Fallout 4.

"I'd never seen architecture like [the Playstation 3] before," Bethesda Production Director Ashley Cheng reflected. "I mean...these were my people...and most of the problems we encountered made me feel like we were deciphering an alien language. It was truly astounding."

But it was Todd Howard, Bethesda's Executive Producer, who allegedly sought to capitalize on the Playstation 3's "obfuscations" in an effort to conceal inherent problems with Skyrim and the Creation Engine. "It was a convenient excuse, I guess you could say," Cheng said. "Every few days, Todd would come storming into our offices with another article he'd found about the Playstation 3; he'd pound his fists on the table and shout at us until his voice cracked. He always wanted to make sure we were telling people, like, 'It's the PS3. That's the problem with all of this. Even on the 360 and PC.' That we were leaking it out through social media and stuff."

Eventually Bethesda deciphered the Playstation 3's "language"--only to discover that its successor was considerably less obtuse. "I know a lot of people, their minds immediately went to, 'well this was a waste of time.' But yeah...I instantly thought, 'oh ****, now what is Todd going to blame, like, Fallout 4's problems on?"

Cheng went on to say that Howard, who is considered a "diehard" opponent of traditional QA testing, was purportedly "visibly distressed" when Bethesda first got their hands on the Playstation 4's SDK and realized how accessible it was.

"For years, it seemed natural to blame the platform for these things Todd referred to as 'mass micro-failures'. Fallout 3 wouldn't run for 45 minutes on the PS3? It was because of the cell processor. New Vegas would cause the PS3 to overheat and burn peoples' hands? It was because the platform couldn't handle 'a real RPG'. Skyrim gave people headaches? Todd pointed to some symbols on the EIB Interconnect and said, if I'm remembering it right, 'We're still trying to figure out these alien glyphs--they're causing a lot of players' issues' at the moment."

So has Bethesda learned from Skyrim and the previous generation of consoles? During a recent shareholders conference, PR & Marketing VP Pete Hines made an off-the-record comment suggesting that the executive producer plans to "take the industry at gunpoint" and made what one shareholder described as "increasingly bizarre and hostile references to Stockholm Syndrome".

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 7, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

Yeah, but then Ron throws a ton of loving shade at you in the 'ending' narration for not being willing to 'sacrifice' yourself.

Yeah well I don't care what Ron Perlman thinks of me!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

homeless poster posted:

like even for a troll pic, that pic had to be taken with the game running in the lowest detail possible mode. i feel like it's so lovely that it gives the joke away

No, that's just how New Vegas looks.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ImmovableSquid posted:

It loving better be!

Nah, Boston is gonna be taken over by the NCR. You can tell by the special forces beret. They're gonna be fighting Hannibal's Carthaginians who have stripped all of the east coast zoos for their trademark elephant calvary

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Obvious jokes are "trolls" now, and you'd have to be a total rear end in a top hat to make a joke here in the dead serious Something Awful Forums.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

computer parts posted:

No, that's just how New Vegas looks.

i guess i've been playing it with too many mods on my PC because i don't recall the game ever looking like that. maybe like a ps3 screen shot, but then there'd be no way to mod that in :shrug:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Azhais posted:

Nah, Boston is gonna be taken over by the NCR. You can tell by the special forces beret. They're gonna be fighting Hannibal's Carthaginians who have stripped all of the east coast zoos for their trademark elephant calvary

Nah - given the name of the main BOS flagship we will probably see the legend of King Arthur shoehorned into this. That and Redcoats and pirates and whatever early American history tropes you can think of.

Remember that quest to get the Deceleration of Independence in the National Archives? Expect more of that.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

homeless poster posted:

i guess i've been playing it with too many mods on my PC because i don't recall the game ever looking like that. maybe like a ps3 screen shot, but then there'd be no way to mod that in :shrug:

It definitely doesn't look *that* bad on max settings. Doesn't look great but it isn't that terrible.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Remember that quest to get the Deceleration of Independence in the National Archives? Expect more of that.

i'm really excited that you wrote deceleration of independence and not what you meant to say, because now i'm imagining some kind of metaphysical concept that slowly erodes individual agency in those who possess it, and considering how cool it would be if a concept like that was in fallout 4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just want more hilarious misunderstanding of history.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I just want more hilarious misunderstanding of history.

But Fallout takes place in the future?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

homeless poster posted:

i'm really excited that you wrote deceleration of independence and not what you meant to say, because now i'm imagining some kind of metaphysical concept that slowly erodes individual agency in those who possess it, and considering how cool it would be if a concept like that was in fallout 4
I think we would first need to establish what it would mean for independence to have a constant velocity, before we can understand the deceleration of independence.

Rutibex posted:

I'm sure that's what he means, future people misunderstanding the past and present. Like this pbf comic, or the classic Motel of the Mysteries.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 7, 2015

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Obvious jokes are "trolls" now, and you'd have to be a total rear end in a top hat to make a joke here in the dead serious Something Awful Forums.

It is better to assume that everyone is stupid rather than spend effort parsing out who is only being stupid ironically.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Yes and my favorite part of fallout is reading about what the people in the game think happened in the past. That and all the horrible things robco did.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Fooz posted:

I don't even care about the writing so much in FO3 and New Vegas as much as how hideous they look and how dull so much of the actual mechanics are. The shooting is bottom-barrel, melee is worse, the walk speed is so slow, and everything is so big and empty and npcs are floaty and stiff and dead looking. Walking from the fast-travel spot to the strip in NV, or having to walk around giant buildings with nothing interesting around like in Primm was such a chore. The engine just stunk and everything had to run on a PS3 with its wierd double 256mb ram thing.

That's why I'm excited for FO4, they have the opportunity to improve on just about everything. Just for the sake of having a new console generation, bethesda games have the opportunity to be much better.

Gamebryo is so loving bad. I'm glad they at least went to Bungie for help this time around.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

ImmovableSquid posted:

It loving better be!

lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

big mean giraffe posted:

It definitely doesn't look *that* bad on max settings. Doesn't look great but it isn't that terrible.

Install texture replacements, makes it far more visually appealing

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Gamebryo is so loving bad. I'm glad they at least went to Bungie for help this time around.

What's Bungie's hand in this?

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Fooz posted:

I don't even care about the writing so much in FO3 and New Vegas as much as how hideous they look and how dull so much of the actual mechanics are. The shooting is bottom-barrel, melee is worse, the walk speed is so slow, and everything is so big and empty and npcs are floaty and stiff and dead looking. Walking from the fast-travel spot to the strip in NV, or having to walk around giant buildings with nothing interesting around like in Primm was such a chore. The engine just stunk and everything had to run on a PS3 with its wierd double 256mb ram thing.

That's why I'm excited for FO4, they have the opportunity to improve on just about everything. Just for the sake of having a new console generation, bethesda games have the opportunity to be much better.

I will be thrilled if they (Fallout, Skyrim, pretty much any 1st person RPG) manage realistic movements for anything. Watching drat raiders or bandits or whatever running towards you in a serpentine or random pattern irrespective of their leg movements makes aiming a pain in the rear end (thanks VATS!). I find it hard to anticipate their movements if their movement patterns have nothing to do with their body/limb movements.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JackBadass posted:

What's Bungie's hand in this?

They were consulted for redoing the combat.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

chitoryu12 posted:

They were consulted for redoing the combat.

Wasn't it some unspecified ex-Bungie people? And also some input from id, IIRC. The good news is that the shooting could hardly be worse than Fallout 3's.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Kaincypher posted:

I will be thrilled if they (Fallout, Skyrim, pretty much any 1st person RPG) manage realistic movements for anything. Watching drat raiders or bandits or whatever running towards you in a serpentine or random pattern irrespective of their leg movements makes aiming a pain in the rear end (thanks VATS!). I find it hard to anticipate their movements if their movement patterns have nothing to do with their body/limb movements.

Watching some of the third person animations they showed off at E3 has me pretty hopeful.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Walrus Pete posted:

Wasn't it some unspecified ex-Bungie people? And also some input from id, IIRC. The good news is that the shooting could hardly be worse than Fallout 3's.

Yeah. Shooting outside of VATS in 3 and NV sucked rear end. As long as enemies in 4 don't act like bullet sponges that don't feel pain, that could be a great improvement. Destiny, despite sucking in every other conceivable way, at least didn't seem to suffer from that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

If my dog can't come in on a vertibird manning a minigun I sure as gently caress am going to be looking for a mod that lets it.

• Locked thread