Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've played vainglory more than all the other mobile games I've played combined.

Mind you, I don't really like mobile games in general, so vainglory feels like most like a full fledged PC game I've ever played on a phone/tablet.
I have been playing it some and it seems cool, it is keeping me tided over until I can play Heroes of the Storm on my computer. I wish there was more than 1 map though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

vulturesrow posted:

Any more general tips for Gems of War besides what has been posted already? I'm especially bad at PvP. :( Best card I've pulled is revenant which kind of blocks my main character. I also have Luther but he doesn't seem that great to me. Also is there room in the goon guild?

Some common/rare cards to consider using:
* Anything that has "Take another turn" on its active skill. Boar Rider, Goblin Shaman, Goblin, Satyr, Hobgoblin, Skeleton, War Sphinx all do this.
* Board control. You want cards that can change orbs from one color to another or kill a row so that you can set up easy 4-matches or skull matches. Alchemist, Banshee, Templar are the cheaper transformers; Centaur Scout and Boar Rider kill rows (Boar Rider thus being really good to have around.) Alternatively, removing orbs of a color can also be useful in the same way; Pegasus, Glade Warden, Night Terror, Skeleton, Revenant, Reaver, Star Gazer, Vampire Lord, Warlock are the cheaper ones.
* The random factor. There are several units that create orbs of a specific color (or skulls). These can be really great when you get good drops and they chain into extra turns that let you do it again; they can be horrible if they set up big clears for the opponent. Rock Worm is the most common example -- Burrow does damage and creates Brown orbs that you hope will refill Rock Worm's tank to do Burrow again and so on. Goblin Shaman, Valkyrie, Acolyte, Deep Borer, Dryad, Griffon Knight, Pegasus, Siren, Serpent, Skeleton, Wight are the cheaper ones; some of them do damage too.
* Other commons that you may have lying around; Golem's ability can whittle down armor quickly, though it's not very useful when they're down to hearts. Pride Hunter does damage and locks down the first enemy's skill, which can be useful if they're about to zap you with something.

There are a bunch of other synergies to consider but the above should help you get off the ground. Once you have enough gold to open new areas and explore there, do it; the end boss of each area unlocks an Epic, some of which are pretty good. Raven in Mist of Scales is quite good. Build a coherent team to PvP, use that gold to try Arena, use those souls to boost your main team to high levels, repeat.

Also: Do not spend big money (or any, really) on gems for Magic Keys. They're not worth it. They give a guaranteed ultra rare (which is nice, but they drop infrequently from regular keys as well and those are much more common) and, as noted, the UR may be something decent or it may be crappy. You get increased chances of Epic and Legendary -- but frankly, since the campaigns give you one of each Epic for free, getting an Epic from gems is not a very good thing. I've gotten three Legendaries so far from regular keys, though they're understandably quite rare from those.

delfin fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 6, 2015

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Goblin for life.

6 jewels for cheap shot that doesn't use a turn? I'll take it.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Not really a game (though it has achievements), but it turns out a Folding@Home app has popped up on Android so you can put your idle phone's unused processing power towards helping science.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Can anyone recommend a good Etrian Odyssey-style dungeon crawler? Deeper the better. I'm trying to play actual Etrian Odyssey through Drastic, but I'm finding the controls a bit awkward.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

I also have Luther but he doesn't seem that great to me. Also is there room in the goon guild?

NOT FOR YOU.

(Luther's ability is great. At max level it's a flat +5 attack to your entire team.)

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Meat Recital posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Etrian Odyssey-style dungeon crawler? Deeper the better. I'm trying to play actual Etrian Odyssey through Drastic, but I'm finding the controls a bit awkward.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=DeadlyDungeons.App

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lavalevel.questlord

But yeah, either emulating DS or DOS would probably be your best bet for those kinds of games. Wish they'd port Legends of Grimrock.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Found goon Privilege but it looks full? If you can link the thread that'd be rad

Dominations Thread

We have some inactives, can probably clear a few spots if it is full.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

mrkillboy posted:

Not really a game (though it has achievements), but it turns out a Folding@Home app has popped up on Android so you can put your idle phone's unused processing power towards helping science.

I love that there are reviews whining about the points they've earned. Sure I helped advance medical science, but other people are on top of the leaderboard and I'm jealous!!!! THREE STARS

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So does Desktop Dungeons continue to live up to the hype?

I enjoyed Sproggiwood but starting to get a bit bored with it. What's next?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lowness 72 posted:

So does Desktop Dungeons continue to live up to the hype?

It had a development cycle that included being in "backer beta" so long that it predates the Kickstarter trend. When they finally finished it, it was clear all that time was well spent. Most companies would have released any of the dozens of stable, balanced versions they had in the meantime, but these guys are insane and stayed in beta way too long which resulted in a ridiculously feature-full and slick game.

Add to that the fact that it's been out on PC for 2 years before the tablet version and, yeah. It's way good.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Wendell posted:

I love that there are reviews whining about the points they've earned. Sure I helped advance medical science, but other people are on top of the leaderboard and I'm jealous!!!! THREE STARS

Awesome, I can drain my battery *even faster than normal*

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

tentish klown posted:

Awesome, I can drain my battery *even faster than normal*

No, it only runs when you are full, on Wi-Fi on charge cable. So you can't eat up your battery or data

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Lifeline is on sale right now.

It's a real time interactive story where you are in radio contact with a stranded astronaut who crashlanded on an alien moon. You choose responses to his questions and suggest what actions he takes (check out those mountains or try to get back to the wreckage of the ship for example). He then sets off to carry out the action and tells you he'll be in touch when he is done. You get a notifcation when something interesting happens or he simply updates his feelings (my legs feel like jell-o, oh great, now all i can think about is eating jell-o!).

I've only been playing for the first 3 or 4 hours but it's a really nice way of telling a story that you can catch up on during a poop / smoke break.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting concept, for a buck why not?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

dpack_1 posted:

Lifeline is on sale right now.

It's a real time interactive story where you are in radio contact with a stranded astronaut who crashlanded on an alien moon. You choose responses to his questions and suggest what actions he takes (check out those mountains or try to get back to the wreckage of the ship for example). He then sets off to carry out the action and tells you he'll be in touch when he is done. You get a notifcation when something interesting happens or he simply updates his feelings (my legs feel like jell-o, oh great, now all i can think about is eating jell-o!).

I've only been playing for the first 3 or 4 hours but it's a really nice way of telling a story that you can catch up on during a poop / smoke break.

That sounds like a great use for my Google Play/Home Depot Fun Bux!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

tater_salad posted:

No, it only runs when you are full, on Wi-Fi on charge cable. So you can't eat up your battery or data

My problem is that my phone doesn't charge when it's at 100% and plugged into a computer...like, it stays charged, but isn't in 'charging' status, so I can't do Folding while at work :(. Wish this was something you could toggle in the app, since I know it would stay well-enough charged if I left it plugged into the comp.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cryohazard posted:

NOT FOR YOU.

(Luther's ability is great. At max level it's a flat +5 attack to your entire team.)

What is max level?

I got Luther, but don't use him. Most of my damage comes from abilities.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Morpheus posted:

My problem is that my phone doesn't charge when it's at 100% and plugged into a computer...like, it stays charged, but isn't in 'charging' status, so I can't do Folding while at work :(. Wish this was something you could toggle in the app, since I know it would stay well-enough charged if I left it plugged into the comp.

I hear ya.. like id like to toggle the wifi requirement unless its constantly communicating with the servers Im okay with it downloading chunka and processing and then uploading.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is there a better top-down Raiden-esque shooter than Sky Force? I've been enjoying Sky Force but wouldn't mind trying something different, and there's too many bad, spam-filled clones on the Market.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is there a better top-down Raiden-esque shooter than Sky Force? I've been enjoying Sky Force but wouldn't mind trying something different, and there's too many bad, spam-filled clones on the Market.

I've been trying out Space Galaga recently and it's been holding my attention well enough. A Space Dandy themed Galaga isn't exactly Raiden I understand, but you may still like it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

flashy_mcflash posted:

That was basically my first post in this thread. Haven't found one that's worthwhile and has an upgrade tree that persists across levels yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lifeline is really cool, just be aware it needs an Internet connection to validate the license, so don't install it and then forget to play it until you're out on call in the middle of nowhere like I did.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Lifeline is pretty neat. Really get the feeling that someone is out there stranded and really relying on my help to guide them along. I like it. I find myself randomly checking my phone to see if they've checked back in.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Me too and the fucker has gone to sleep

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It makes me wish I knew anything about Android programming, because I would totally be down for writing a bunch of games like Lifeline. Sadly it would almost certainly pay better than writing novels. :(

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lifeline is great so far. A really nice idea for a game.

precision posted:

It makes me wish I knew anything about Android programming, because I would totally be down for writing a bunch of games like Lifeline. Sadly it would almost certainly pay better than writing novels. :(

You can try playing around with Choice of Games engine.
https://www.choiceofgames.com/make-your-own-games/choicescript-intro/
https://www.choiceofgames.com/looking-for-writers/

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 7, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

precision posted:

As with the poster above, check this out: http://www.inklestudios.com/inklewriter/

It's from the studio who made 80 Days, so you could write your own "Choose Your Own Adventure" adventure.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Haha, Lifeline just threw me an Upright Citizens' Brigade reference. I'm enjoying it so far, you don't even have to open the app; you can make all the decisions straight from the notifications.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Anyone else getting false notifications? It'll say he's waiting on me but he's "busy" when I open the app.

Overall though.. really clever, I'm digging it. Wonder how long the story goes or if it's kind of a repeating loop depending on if he survives or dies.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Glad you guys are enjoying it.

Im looking forward to finishing the story just to start it over and choose some alternative options and see how much difference it makes.

It took the immersion out of the game for me a bit ago asking me to research safe levels of radiation he could be exposed to which is a real nice touch.

Im wondering if there are any 'wrong' choices or if it will ultimately play out to just a few fixed endings.

Stay safe Taylor!

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

precision posted:

Ach, if you'd be interested, I'd be interested in working on something like this. I'm a developer, not a writer/storyteller, so I'd like to collaborate on something. You can reach me via skype at rvdleun.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I killed Taylor

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

precision posted:

Perhaps something in today's new Humble Game Making Bundle would interest you.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I killed Taylor

I did this with my very next decision after i just posted.

So rewound time and started over.

This will be my new idle game for a few days by the looks of it.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

hooah posted:

That was basically my first post in this thread. Haven't found one that's worthwhile and has an upgrade tree that persists across levels yet.

How about AirAttack?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ArtInGames.AirAttackHD

(lite: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ArtInGames.AirAttackHDLite )

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I tried that one, but there's no persistent upgrades, and the in-level ones aren't that great. I am kind of getting a kick out of Space Galaga, but I hope the waves get more varied soon.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I got Lifeline the other day and just uninstalled it. I loved the whole concept, but Taylor was just insufferable. She was constantly making snarky remarks, right from when she had just crashed on the deserted moon or even right after finding most of the crew dead. I was completely willing to meet the game halfway, but that completely took me out of it. I played for a while, accidentally killed her a few times, and just didn't find it that compelling.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

apokaladle posted:

I got Lifeline the other day and just uninstalled it. I loved the whole concept, but Taylor was just insufferable. She was constantly making snarky remarks, right from when she had just crashed on the deserted moon or even right after finding most of the crew dead. I was completely willing to meet the game halfway, but that completely took me out of it. I played for a while, accidentally killed her a few times, and just didn't find it that compelling.

She? I mean, I guess it is a unisex name with Taylor Swift, but I was just assuming it was a guy..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

She? I mean, I guess it is a unisex name with Taylor Swift, but I was just assuming it was a guy..

Hm. Now you mention it, I don't think that it's specified, at least not in the paths I saw. I got a sort of Buffy the Vampire Slayer vibe, maybe that's why.