Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Sephiroth could beat goku, since he can reconstitute himself infinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

GulagDolls posted:

Oh FF7 expanded universe, you are so silly. :allears:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

GulagDolls posted:

i'll fight you

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

wat if goku blows up the planet

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

GulagDolls posted:

so could cell

so yeah he could beat goku but not gohan

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Roobanguy posted:

Sephiroth blows up the entire solar system multiple times, sooooooooo.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

so could cell

we talkin' raging hormone teen gohan or baby bitch adult gohan here?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

so could cell

cell regernates himself as long as there is one cell of his body remaining. sephiroth comes back as long as darkness exists in the universe, or in cloud, or something idk

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

Sephiroth gets catapulted into space and Jenovas another planet?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

goku can instant transmission tho so he could just punt sephiroth across the galaxy or something, and then punt him to another place in the galaxy if he gets close to a planet.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
goku can spirit bomb wi the darkness or whatever the hell too

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

goku can instant transmission tho so he could just punt sephiroth across the galaxy or something, and then punt him to another place in the galaxy if he gets close to a planet.

sephiroth has shown himself to be capable of teleportation as well. (kingdom hearts. don't tell me this isn't canon, rear end in a top hat)

given the fact that he is indestructible as long as undefined negativity exists, as long as there is a non 0 chance of goku being killed by him, sephiroth can win. unless they both die of old age first. idk who wins then.

but it is documented that you can wound/kill a superbeing in dbz if you attack while their guard is down. krillin bruises a perfect super saiyan goku while he is sleeping by gently tossing a rock at his face and vegeta purposely lowers his guard so krillin can blast him in the stomach. given sephiroth's ability to teleport, a scenario where sephiroth teleports into goku's room while he sleeps and then stabs him is not out of the question.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
That got as necessarily stupid as needed in quick fashion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

could shiki kill genomes

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Roobanguy posted:

that means Chie would win because she Galactic Punts at will

Chie is the devourer of worlds

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

closeted republican posted:

I was bored enough to watch cutscenes from Crisis Core on YouTube a while back and lost count of how many times Gackt's self-insert character strolls onto the screen quoting Anime Shakespeare for no reason.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

closeted republican posted:

It's not so funny now that they're going to actually remake FFVII. They aren't stuck writing around completely-different personalities on characters anymore :ohdear:.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Dubious posted:

that means Chie would win because she Galactic Punts at will

Chie is the devourer of worlds

what happens when 2 ppl try to galactic punt each other?

they create earth, or should i say... aerith!?!//

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I beat Atelier Ayesha yesterday - managed to get every ending except two the bad ending and the bullshit Treasure Hunter ending - I only lost the FIRST competition damnit. I still can't get over how good the soundtrack is. It's pretty much perfect. The only problem is that they sometimes switch between three songs in the same scene which spoils it somewhat. Fortunately you can play the songs from the main menu.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 7, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mill Village posted:

Didn't LISA switch to a different engine after a couple updates?

For the Linux port they used an open source implementation of RPG Maker's Ruby scripting system. It's the same game, same scripts, but now they can implement Steam API.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Finally beat Xillia 2, at least with the normal ending. I'm saving the true ending for my last trophy.

Honestly, a lot of fun. There's a lot of grinding for money / trophies, but the first game had a lot of grinding on that front, too. I was kinda surprised how hard it was, actually. Starting with Volt in the first few chapters, the game has some pretty tough bosses. I couldn't imagine beating half of the later game bosses without Power Charge 1, 2, and 3, which just so happens to be the best skills in the game. It's especially great with Gaius because of his Conqueror's Blade, meaning you can get a 7 hit power combo going in just a few seconds (and if you switch to his Darkness sword in the middle of the combo, you can get everything except Gun with just Gaius). Of course, now it only feels right to have Gaius in his Xillia 1 final boss costume. He is also my favorite character to play as, simply because he's a very no-frills fighter.

But, now it's time for the bonus dungeon, and just from the short part I played (just one of the dungeon's branches), it's going to be be quite difficult. It's also nice to be able to remove Ludger from the party in the post-game, even if he is still extremely useful, for his Chromatus ability and as long as you have a power combo going, you can just spam Falling Snow and get 150-200,000 damage on a single Chromatus use.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Power Charge 3 is basically required to get any combos on any lategame boss because they all basically have no weaknesses..

Also yeah the bonus dungeon is kinda a pain and god help you when face any of the bosses with Light element attacks.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i highly recommend not bothering with the bonus dungeon and just googling the endings

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Davincie posted:

i highly recommend not bothering with the bonus dungeon and just googling the endings

playing through the game replacing Ludger with Elle kinda makes going through it kinda worth it.

quote:

I did beat Shadow Jiao, but only barely (completely ran out of Life Bottles, and I kept forgetting Ludger needed to be linked with someone to do more than 1 damage with the Chromatus. My stupidity was 50% of the reason for me almost losing that fight). I expect all of the bonus dungeon bosses to at most two-shot any party member, even with 9999 HP (Alvin, my character with the most HP, only has about 7500 max HP, but no one in my party is past level 95 or so).

it's worth noting that the post game dungeon doesn't start getting reasonable to finish until level 140+ or something

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 7, 2015

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I did beat Shadow Jiao, but only barely (completely ran out of Life Bottles, and I kept forgetting Ludger needed to be linked with someone to do more than 1 damage with the Chromatus. My stupidity was 50% of the reason for me almost losing that fight). I expect all of the bonus dungeon bosses to at most two-shot any party member, even with 9999 HP (Alvin, my character with the most HP, only has about 7500 max HP, but no one in my party is past level 95 or so).

When I lost to a random encounter a little later, I was happy to find out the game just throws you out of the dungeon and tells you to come back later if you lose a fight. Nice to know my 40 minutes of fighting wasn't wasted.

Also, I was going to play the game again anyway, so I at least want to get the cool costumes and model changes for New Game+ (I assume those carry over). I know who the final boss of the bonus dungeon is, and I must say I'm quite looking forward to it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

OneDeadman posted:

playing through the game replacing Ludger with Elle kinda makes going through it kinda worth it.

Yeah that was a fun mechanic, shame they limited unlocking it till post-game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

to be fair it's so goofy that it'd kinda ruin the mood of the actual game

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Also, the fact that the last song that plays over the final boss is a remix of the opening theme is really good. Definitely the kind of music that gets me pumped for a big fight.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Davincie posted:

I wouldn't mind at all if it was postgame but what actually grinds my gears is that the costumes are unlocked by very slowly grinding currency in the postgame superhard dungeon that also requires tons of grinding to even access! Luckily, we live in the age of free save data so I just downloaded a save with the drat things unlocked and started a new game with them.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

I finally started playing Brave Fencer Musashi again. I say this knowing full well it's going to get my lynched, but this game is a cute idea buried under some incredibly awkward programming.

I freed the guy in the stocks and he told me to climb a mountain and bring four logs with me. Fair enough, and when I got to the top of the mountain he sent me on a raft down a waterfall. It took me four or five attempts to do this, and each time played out with me losing all but one log during the first third.

As soon as I got the bracelet I got at the end appraised the mayor came running up and told me to go talk to somebody on a cliff. I did so, and it started the timer to fix the reactor.

I failed too many times either trying to figure out the paths around the steam or falling off the platforms, so I just sat there and let the reactor explode...

... and whereas the rafting game let me restart it as many times as I wanted, this time the game kicked me all the way back to my last save, which was before I scaled the mountain.

And come on, when you're designing a game based around platforming, not letting us control the camera is just cruel.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Nah, even people who love Musashi (like me) admit it's flawed as all hell. It's cute, it's got a lot of heart and a good OST but the game part is mediocore at best and totally painful at worst.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is the phone port of dq4 worth getting. I want something to play when I'm bored at work but don't want to lug my 3ds around.

Peculiarly, all the mobile Dragon Quest ports are good.

Edit: With the exception of 8, which did not retain the content added in the US release of the PS2 version, the mobile port is either the best version available or at least as good as any other version. With 4 in particular, it's exactly the same as the DS version except they translated the party chat instead of just removing it.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 8, 2015

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
You know, coming from Megami Tensei, I kinda see Persona as the red-headed bastard child of the franchise:

- The plot in 3/4 is badly paced and you only got to it at the beginning or the end. In addition to that, the combat feels dumbed down. Raidou Kuzunoha had much better gameplay anyways.

- The social links flesh out the world a lot, but you could always go to Devil Survivor 2 for that kind of stuff, especially since the Fate system actually has a plot point on the last couple of days in the game.

- It doesn't have the moral choices that Megami Tensei had.

- The endings aren't really ambiguous.

Persona just doesn't appeal to me. Except for Adachi. Everyone loves Adachi.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Variant_Eris posted:

- The social links flesh out the world a lot, but you could always go to Devil Survivor 2 for that kind of stuff, especially since the Fate system actually has a plot point on the last couple of days in the game.

you don't kiss in the Devil Suvivor ones so they are inherently worse

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Yeah I'm pretty lukewarm about Persona too (although in my case it's mostly because it has severely restricted degrees of customization compared to mainline games and Devil Survivor) but apparently Persona 4 is a money printer or somesuch so although I'm not a big fan of Atlus milking it forever, I can't blame them for it.

Also it's a small quibble but good god someone spare me from P4's bright piss-yellow color theme; my poor eyes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

persona is popular because it actually has a cast of characters instead of vague philosophical ciphers like most SMT games, especially the ones before P3

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah I'm pretty lukewarm about Persona too (although in my case it's mostly because it has severely restricted degrees of customization compared to mainline games and Devil Survivor) but apparently Persona 4 is a money printer or somesuch so although I'm not a big fan of Atlus milking it forever, I can't blame them for it.

Also it's a small quibble but good god someone spare me from P4's bright piss-yellow color theme; my poor eyes.

Milking Persona 4's a good idea for them, because it gives them a bit of a warchest to bankroll their other SMT games. Plus, y'know, Persona 5.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Well maybe I'm completely off-base but it looks more like they're milking Persona 3/4 in order to bankroll more Persona 3/4 ports, remakes and spinoffs. That said, if waiting a couple years through a storm of Persona is necessary to get games like SMTIV and Devil Survivor, I'm okay with that.

It's not like I dislike Persona in the first place; in fact its worst sin in my eyes is that it created the unholy abomination that is the Something Awful forums' SMT megathread.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Endorph posted:

persona is popular because it actually has a cast of characters instead of vague philosophical ciphers like most SMT games, especially the ones before P3

Also the ones after. All of the core SMT games, and Strange Journey, have ridiculous characters that you can identify the allegiances of even before they start going crazy. Even if you didn't meet them in dreams before the game proper starts. That's one thing I dislike about the series, I see these characters and I think "Oh these guys are cool, but welp I guess I'm going to end up hating and then killing them before the end of the game when they go batshit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Persona and the main SMT franchise are different sorts of games, even if you look at pre-P3 games where they didn't have a dating sim spackled onto them. Persona has always been more character driven with simplified mechanics, whereas SMT games are deep mechanically and heavy on plot but feature characters that aren't as fully realized. Both series have a lot of dungeon crawler DNA, but SMT wears it more openly, I think.

I like them both, Persona a little more, but they're different enough that I wouldn't be surprised if most fans only play one or the other.

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 8, 2015