Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I hope Trump sticks to his rhetoric and his poll numbers remain steady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Miltank posted:

Same tbqh

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

He's going to go there personally, film himself firing them and put it in an ad. He will surge to the lead.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Even Polk wasn't this anti-Mexican.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Does anyone even pay attention? Not all Mexican's crossing the border are rapists, SOME of them are good people...who do you think Trump hired? Cut the man some slack.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

he assumes.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Joementum posted:

Sorry. Looks like Gaga's spoken for too.

Curses!

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
Yaaaaas

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

It is pretty funny reading all the posts about how Bernie has no chance at all, while the bible of Very Seriousness the New York Times is publishing articles about Hillary possibly losing Iowa six months before the caucus.

I read it was around 4,500.

you should bet one of the worst of the bernie faithless like i did

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Miltank posted:

Here in the midwest it looks like his xenophobic and racist ranting has really found a cachet with suburbanites around St. Louis

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Sorry. Looks like Gaga's spoken for too.

Is that a fake smile she throws on for all the photo ops and she has a more convincing sincere smile, or is the rictus her sincere smile? I don't like harping on how candidates look, but Hillary always looks like she's trying to bluff her way away from Jehova's Witnesses while simultaneously noticing one of them has poo poo on their face.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Weltlich posted:

Is that a fake smile she throws on for all the photo ops and she has a more convincing sincere smile, or is the rictus her sincere smile? I don't like harping on how candidates look, but Hillary always looks like she's trying to bluff her way away from Jehova's Witnesses while simultaneously noticing one of them has poo poo on their face.
With Hillary (and most people really) you can identify a fake smile if her eyes are wide open.

Fake:

Real:

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 7, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Weltlich posted:

Of all things you nitpick a smile. It's a drat photo-op everyone has a fake smile.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zwabu posted:

This rollout campaign for the Walker logo reminds me of the old Simpsons episode where "Gabbo" was relentlessly hyped, and turned out to be a ventriliquist dummy act.

Sounds about right.

In fairness, Walker would be somewhat electable if he could do the Hully-Gully

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

Better than the candidate promising to burn everything down.

It is better to appropriate the right's concept of 'creative destruction' - but making the process public and democratic instead of private and commercial. For example merging all federal healthcare programs into a single payer option.

As for Nixon-Eisenhower - they are two men who epitomize the presidency as a modern institution - 70% good 30% bad.

Nixon at the end was what happens when you live too long in that world - you forget life as a human outside the bubble.

Bernie is the only candidate talking about multiple part time jobs and being vibrant human beings. We have the technology - I just hope Mr. Sanders gets over the rush of whipping up crowds with slogans and does more talks like that gun control video.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 7, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
All of my smiles are fake smiles.

quite the fucker
Apr 13, 2014

01100110 01110101 01100011 01101011 01100101 01110010

JT Jag posted:

Calling them angry freakouts is a mite excessive. A lot of people in this thread are going to vote for Bernie in the primary and hope he does well. Some of those same people are irked by "Bernie or No One" sentiment.

most pro-bernie comments i see follow the same tack as his campaign where they don't even mention hillary, just how great he is

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Come watch the Daily Show stream with us in the Month of Zen thread and I promise you'll see things my way. Now watch this drive.

I wasn't implying that Bush 43 was smart, it seems like his brother might be even dumber.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

computer parts posted:

I have yet to see evidence that PA is a real swing state. I'm going off of this map:

Which from what I can see just requires Florida to win.

This is a more realistic map to me:

Including all lean blues and reds as won.

Not a bad position to start from. Basically her job will be to just not gently caress up too badly over the next 15 months.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

baw posted:

I wasn't implying that Bush 43 was smart, it seems like his brother might be even dumber.

I know what you were trying to say. As a former Floridian forced to suffer through JEB! I disagree. Jeb! isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but no one in the family can hold a candle to the sheer magnitude of W's blissful, willful ignorance.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Not a bad position to start from. Basically her job will be to just not gently caress up too badly over the next 15 months.
Pretty much. The Rs have to sweep every quasi-swing state AND pick off one or more "safe" Democrat states to win, which is effectively impossible unless the Democrat fucks up his/her campaign (or an outside event like a rerun of the 2008 economic collapse or ISIS overrunning Baghdad and executing captured US soldiers on live TV or something of that ridiculous magnitude).

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I know what you were trying to say. As a former Floridian forced to suffer through JEB! I disagree. Jeb! isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but no one in the family can hold a candle to the sheer magnitude of W's blissful, willful ignorance.
Same. Jeb is regular, everyday bit-on-the-dim-side, of the sort you encounter every day. George, however, is outright "few bricks short of a load."

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

McDowell posted:

As for Nixon-Eisenhower - they are two men who epitomize the presidency as a modern institution - 70% good 30% bad.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

I think Bush is a lot more clever than he ever gets credit for, tbh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

McDowell posted:

The gently caress you say? I'll admit not knowing enough about Eisenhower to say whether he was good or bad aside from warning all of us about the dangers of the military-industrial complex as he left office, but not doing much to halt it while he was in, but Nixon is at the very least the most evil modern president, which is an impressive achievement when the list includes Reagan and George W.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 7, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think Bush is a lot more clever than he ever gets credit for, tbh.
I think W. wasn't a really articulate guy, and was probably on the dimmer side for a President, but wouldn't actually be below average if tested.

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
My heart wants to believe that Virginia has reached a point where it leans blue, but it's hard for me to accept that things have shifted to that point already.

Granted, I live pretty well isolated in my bubble of South Florida and know little about the reality of shifting demographics elsewhere. VA feels just marginally bluer than FL, but in both states it likely comes down to which side runs the more effective get out the vote/voter suppression campaign.

Also, someone brought up 2000 in the last few pages. I know a good bunch of people that voted for Nader in 2000. Most of them are still horrified by their votes. My psychiatrist would literally shudder if you brought up that election. My mom convinced herself that she accidentally voted for Buchanan, too. No idea if she really did.

JEB's one strength in Florida was that his demeanor was so bland and inoffensive that despite largely lovely policy, the Democratic base was not motivated to turn out and kick him out of office. It's a shame our gubernatorial elections always fall during midterm elections, and so many other state elections fall in odd years.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
He isn't below average but for a president yeah he's a moron.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

I think W. wasn't a really articulate guy, and was probably on the dimmer side for a President, but wouldn't actually be below average if tested.

My impression is less outright stupid and more completely lacking any intellectual curiosity. Content to shrug and let someone else worry about facts and details. Which is kind of worse.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Skwirl posted:

The gently caress you say? I'll admit not knowing enough about Eisenhower to say whether he was good or bad aside from warning all of us about the dangers of the military-industrial complex as he left office, but not doing much to halt it while he was in, but Nixon is at the very least the most evil modern president, which is an impressive achievement when the list includes Reagan and George W.

It's a Mao reference as best I can tell.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Here are the 10 closest states from 2012, their EVs, who won them, the margin of victory, the projected demographic shift from that chart I posted earlier, and what that margin would have been in 2016 after projected demographic shifts

NC 15 R 2.04% -1.7% -> R 0.3%
FL 29 D 0.88% +1.6% -> D 2.5%
OH 18 D 2.98% +0.6% -> D 3.6%
VA 13 D 3.87% +1.6% -> D 5.5%
CO 09 D 5.37% +0.8% -> D 6.2%
PA 20 D 5.39% +1.2% -> D 6.6%
NH 04 D 5.58% +1.2% -> D 6.8%
IA 06 D 5.81% +0.7% -> D 6.5%
NV 06 D 6.68% +1.9% -> D 8.6%
WI 10 D 6.94% +1.1% -> D 8.1%

Romney got 206 EVs in 2012 including NC. Republicans need to hold NC, plus get FL, OH, VA, and CO in order to get past 270, which means outperforming their 2012 numbers by at least 6.2%. The only way I see that happening is if 1) the Republican candidate is a transcendent popular figure (really unlikely, given their candidate pool) or 2) the Democratic candidate's campaign ends up being a complete mess (always possible, I guess), or 3) some outside event (foreign policy disaster, economic meltdown, massive scandal, etc.) overrides the usual demographics-plus-turnout modeling of the election (literally unpredictable).

P.S. Just for laughs, here are the states that the Dems could pick off (besides NC) if they have an uncommonly good night in November 2016

GA 16 R 7.82% -2.5% -> R 5.3%
AZ 11 R 9.06% -2.3% -> R 6.8%
MO 10 R 9.38% -1.1% -> R 8.3%
IN 11 R 10.2% no shift published because drat that's a big margin

Outside of NC, there's just not much low-hanging fruit out there for the Dems, even with the steady grind grind grind of demographic change.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 7, 2015

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

spacing in vienna posted:

My impression is less outright stupid and more completely lacking any intellectual curiosity. Content to shrug and let someone else worry about facts and details. Which is kind of worse.
That was always my sense of the man. Not dumb, just not willing to put my intellectual effort into anything and preferring to rely on his gut instinct.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
It still perplexes me that Obama won IN in 2008 but it wasn't even really in play come 2012 and it's not in play now.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Daniel Bryan posted:

It still perplexes me that Obama won IN in 2008 but it wasn't even really in play come 2012 and it's not in play now.
I'm more surprised it has 11 EVs. Indianapolis must be a bigger city than I realized.

I figure Obama did some early polling in 2012, saw the numbers, and committed exactly 0 dollars and 0 staffers to it for the rest of the campaign.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

Evidence of fraud, clearly

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

FMguru posted:

I'm more surprised it has 11 EVs. Indianapolis must be a bigger city than I realized.

I figure Obama did some early polling in 2012, saw the numbers, and committed exactly 0 dollars and 0 staffers to it for the rest of the campaign.

Second largest state capital. Plus NW Indiana is part of the Chicago Metro area.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Daniel Bryan posted:

2008 was kind of a perfect storm of things that worked in Obama's favor as well as the D party at large. You had a terrifically unpopular president leaving office and his party's record of deregulation and fiscal incompetence was being blamed whole-handedly by all honest Americans. Then out comes Obama, pretty much the best orator since Clinton if not as good or better. You had a lot of people who were just hitting voting age in 2008, so they were born in 89-90 and saw their early childhood turn to poo poo under Bush and the R party's control from 2002 on, and Obama capitalized on that in earnest. His campaign used volunteers, tech, and data in ways that remain miraculous.

Basically a LOT of people who weren't the typical D voter went for Obama in 2008, and there were quite a few of those split-ticket scenarios (see NE-02).

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Skwirl posted:

The Clothes Have No Emperor is a pretty funny take down on Reagan, and speaking as someone born in 84 I think it gave me a pretty good insight into what American culture was like in the 80s.

Catching up on this thread; from the sample chapter posted the general theme seems to be "Regan and the 80's :wtc:". Any suggestions for something that explores why the right practically worships this guy? Being born in the 80's doesn't mean I remember them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Catching up on this thread; from the sample chapter posted the general theme seems to be "Regan and the 80's :wtc:". Any suggestions for something that explores why the right practically worships this guy? Being born in the 80's doesn't mean I remember them.

He was a senile old yes-man for the racist, jingoist id of the conservative movement. Reagan was stage-managed from the top of his empty head to the toes of the shoes he forgot each morning. They love him because he campaigned on telling America that none of the poo poo Carter said about America needing to adapt to a post-industrial world was true and that he'd make sure we'd bomb and space our way to owning the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TasogareNoKagi posted:

He simultaneously distanced the GOP from Nixon (who was the only Republican elected in nearly 25 years) and set the tone for Republican Presidents (and arguably political culture in general) for the next 30+ years.

His closest parallel is Andrew Jackson, and I don't just mean in the "lol he's racist" sense. Rather, Jackson also set the tone for the next few decades in America, and had people comparing themselves to him. More importantly, he did this without waging a war, which sets him apart from FDR and Lincoln (the other two "massively influential" Presidents).

• Locked thread