Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

ullerrm posted:

Didn't TOG take over the failed Yogventures kickstarter as well?

No, but I can understand why you might think that. The Yogventures thing was "taken over" by Nerd Kingdom's game, by the name of TUG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1886737712/yargo-the-ultimate-pirate-battle-boardgame

These guys from Portland were too cool to use a D6 in their game.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

1 hip poo poo

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

quote:

The best deal? $5 USD gets you one of our awesome Yargo pirate coins and the print and play version of Yargo! Why coins? Because in Yargo, outcomes are determined by coin flips. You’ll love the feel of our big 1.25" (3.2cm) brass, custom-minted, flipping coins- bigger than a US Dollar Coin and perfect for any coin toss!

When I'm bored and I have a coin, I flip that coin, and that's how I know that regularly flipping anything bigger than a US Dollar Coin is really annoying. A quarter is pretty much the perfect size. Better yet, don't use three flips of a coin to resolve a flow chart that only has four outcomes. It's a little insane.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Four outcomes, but one only happens by choice, and one of them is pretty heavily weighted towards happening. They can't really use a die here because they hosed themselves out of it and need to start over to make something good.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Cheez posted:

Four outcomes, but one only happens by choice, and one of them is pretty heavily weighted towards happening. They can't really use a die here because they hosed themselves out of it and need to start over to make something good.

They totally could use a die, it just would require two rolls and a d10. First roll, 1-6 hits the ship, 7-8 misses, and 9-10 let's you either hit the crew, or roll again to see if you damage equipment or the ship. It's still clunky, but less so than 2-3 coin flips and a flow chart.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cheez posted:

Yeah you definitely can't replicate it exactly with a D6 but I don't think what they have is good enough to be worth all the coin flips.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

senrath posted:

They totally could use a die, it just would require two rolls and a d10. First roll, 1-6 hits the ship, 7-8 misses, and 9-10 let's you either hit the crew, or roll again to see if you damage equipment or the ship. It's still clunky, but less so than 2-3 coin flips and a flow chart.

Wouldn't a d8 be exactly the same as the dumb coin thing? 1 misses, 2-6 hits, and 7-8 either stop or roll for damage.

The most important thing is that flipping coins is really really not fun.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think they wanted to be thematic with a game that comes in a treasure chest with a bunch of coins, but sometimes I don't think that you should build a game around pieces (choose your pieces to match a good game instead)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
more games should come with those dice filled domes that you click down to make it roll the dice.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Fauxtool posted:

more games should come with those dice filled domes that you click down to make it roll the dice.

I wanted to do that with my 'Nids. Might still do it with my kill-team.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Fauxtool posted:

the US must close the popamatic bubble gap

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Wouldn't a d8 be exactly the same as the dumb coin thing? 1 misses, 2-6 hits, and 7-8 either stop or roll for damage.

The most important thing is that flipping coins is really really not fun.

No. That results in missing 1/8th of the time, rather than 1/5th of the time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

senrath posted:

No. That results in missing 1/8th of the time, rather than 1/5th of the time.

Excuse my ignorance, but why is it 1/5? tails-tails-tails is the only way to miss, which is 1/(2^3) = 1/8. The D8 solution seems like it would be correct.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

No, you're right. I was just counting total number of outcomes, but forgetting to take into account that some happen after 2 flips and some 3.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

stillvisions posted:

Speaking of Kickstarters, this post (now taken down) by an associate of Andrew Hussie's is going around now.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150704220422/http://ipgd.tumblr.com/post/123230861032/im-sure-that-everyone-has-noticed-by-now-that-the

tl;dr TOG took a large chunk of money for the Homestuck game (called Hivestuck), produced nothing more than a broken tech demo and used the money to work on King's Quest instead. Also there's likely a settlement that happened after TOG's contract was terminated which coincided with the game being made in-house.

No love for Homestuck personally, but I feel bad if they got screwed over, and if settled we'll probably never get the true story.

I have a friend who was hired for the in-house and without saying too much, this write-up was founded. but the in-house work has been excellent.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
[Every videogame ks ever]

Names zelda, mario, and metroid? check. Mentions the guy's been a gamer all his life? check and check

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Noyemi K posted:

Names zelda, mario, and metroid? check. Mentions the guy's been a gamer all his life? check and check

I could literally make this right now, today.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cheez posted:

I could literally make this right now, today.

Isn't that pretty much a built-in preset in some game maker apps these days? Maybe he got inspired by the latest Humble Bundle? :D

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Noyemi K posted:

e: Aw poo poo, I thought that meant 0 of his previous kickstarters were backed. Nevermind. Out of his 6 kickstarters, only one is funded, which is still pretty sad.

Macichne Leainig has a new favorite as of 17:09 on Jul 9, 2015

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

e: Aw poo poo, I thought that meant 0 of his previous kickstarters were backed. Nevermind. Out of his 6 kickstarters, only one is funded, which is still pretty sad.

60 dollars canadian.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
He just jumped from $10 to $12. Which one of you was it?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Some of those were actually the same game (Platformer 37/Square Square Chaos)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Noyemi K posted:

He mentions Zelda, Mario, and Metroid but the game is clearly based on Castlevania?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gotta get on that Bloodstained bandwagon.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
*me clicking every videogame kickstarter link*

"Wow, look at all these stolen sprites." I say in a booming, muscular voice.
*I click the link*
*I look at all the stolen sprites.*
"I'll stop saying it when it stops being true." I say in a booming, muscular voice.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure I made that game when I followed a Unity tutorial.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm pretty sure I made that game when I followed a Unity tutorial.

But how on Earth did you afford to do that? Who funded you?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

But how on Earth did you afford to do that? Who funded you?

You didn't see his KS? It was all over the news. The game turned into Final Fantasy Tactics Advance A2 eventually.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
This thing got funded recently: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1314339634/holus-the-interactive-tabletop-holographic-display

Notice the money they got and the amount of backers. Average $CAD 600 per backer.

Personally, I think this is a really cool thing, if it's real. The video never really has a long, slow shot that pans around the device in order to demonstrate an actual holographic effect. For all I know it's just a bunch of weird triangular screens that look good only when viewed from the right angle. Some similar systems are demonstrated here, and it seems that is exactly what it is, only good from specific angles: https://medium.com/@sableraph/how-to-sell-a-19th-century-parlor-trick-as-a-3d-holographic-display-c12a861cb8bf

Someone thinks it's a scam: http://joanielemercier.com/is_kickstarter_covering_up_a_scam/ and they ragequit kickstarter over it.

Most curious thing from that article though:

Did some googling, but I've not been able to confirm this.

The author did put it in a handy image for easy sharing on other websites :v:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Completely not looking at the "scam or not" part of it, I'm amused by how much of that guy's vitriol stems from the fact that they might be using the term "hologram" incorrectly, which as far as I know pretty much everyone who doesn't work with them for a living does.

As for the badge thing, yeah, I'm pretty sure that's technically correct, in that Kickstarter doesn't have a badge they give out, and anyone can trivially lie about it. But you can also go back and look to see all of the projects that Kickstarter has actually made a staff pick, so...

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

senrath posted:

Completely not looking at the "scam or not" part of it, I'm amused by how much of that guy's vitriol stems from the fact that they might be using the term "hologram" incorrectly, which as far as I know pretty much everyone who doesn't work with them for a living does.

As for the badge thing, yeah, I'm pretty sure that's technically correct, in that Kickstarter doesn't have a badge they give out, and anyone can trivially lie about it. But you can also go back and look to see all of the projects that Kickstarter has actually made a staff pick, so...

I do think that people, when they read the term hologram, expect some sort of laser rendering, and this is just a mirror trick. It's like calling something a jet pack when in reality it's just a trampoline.

... Brb, starting jet pack Kickstarter.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Non Serviam posted:

I do think that people, when they read the term hologram, expect some sort of laser rendering, and this is just a mirror trick. It's like calling something a jet pack when in reality it's just a trampoline.

... Brb, starting jet pack Kickstarter.

Just call it a "bio-mechanical jetpack" and you're set. There's no legal definition for one, right?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The height and distance limitations on the biomechanical personal flight device are simply due to its prototype status.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I think we're onto something here.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

I checked the last few pages and didn't see this posted:

Progressive Feminist Music for Children

quote:

Ms. Cacie's fun, progressive music for children: songs about consent, ableism, anxiety, non-binary gender, dinosaurs, robots, and more!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Skutter posted:

I checked the last few pages and didn't see this posted:

Progressive Feminist Music for Children

Oh boy, there's nothing very young children love more than songs about sexual consent!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
That doesn't seem so terrible. The example song in the video is the kind of thing I'd like for my kids because they learn super quickly at childcare that there's "boy stuff" and "girl stuff" and I think that sucks. It sounds like the writing will be pretty age appropriate.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

That doesn't seem so terrible. The example song in the video is the kind of thing I'd like for my kids because they learn super quickly at childcare that there's "boy stuff" and "girl stuff" and I think that sucks. It sounds like the writing will be pretty age appropriate.

And also about rape. It's something that any sane parent would talk to their infant child about.
Jesus Christ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Bubble-T posted:

The songs are also not structured well, and again, we can wait for the consent talk. It can happen, but 5 year olds singing about consent are actually sorta creepy