Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

DeusExMachinima posted:

Has there ever been a band that stayed 'relevant' in terms of their new releases for 30+ years in metal? Honest question.

The only band that has been good for that long is Manilla Road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Unleashed had some really, really lovely albums in the middle of their career and their last few have been pretty uninspiring.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Judas Priest should reasonably count.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Judas Priest should reasonably count.
Halford sounded like he was singing through a feeding tube on the last one

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Napalm Death have stayed pretty drat consistent.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Bolt Thrower

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Zodijackylite posted:

The only band that has been good for that long is Manilla Road.

Yeahhh should've thought of MR.

Turk February posted:

Bolt Thrower

Unironically hoping they do more 40K concept albums.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Turk February posted:

Bolt Thrower

They've stayed more relevant than Slayer simply by having a degree of self awareness and refusing to release anything they weren't 100% happy with so yeah. Those Once Loyal was sick.

HelmutVonSchmeller
Nov 23, 2007
Oooh, it's a jellyfish!

Holy poo poo, this is going to be excellent.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DeusExMachinima posted:

Has there ever been a band that stayed 'relevant' in terms of their new releases for 30+ years in metal? Honest question.

Motörhead :colbert:

I get your point though. It's just that the whole "old fuddy-duddy from once-great band doesn't like new band's sound" is so typical and played out by now.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Motörhead :colbert:

I get your point though. It's just that the whole "old fuddy-duddy from once-great band doesn't like new band's sound" is so typical and played out by now.

Yeah, Motörhead is basically my vote for this as well.

Comedy Metallica option.

edit: actually, what about Darkthrone?

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 7, 2015

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Darkthrone is probably the best answer. Maiden too - especially when it comes to live stuff. Blind Guardian could have been included except the last couple of albums are not so good.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Turk February posted:

Where have you been for the last two decades?

Attending Slayer concerts where they played only tracks from their first 10 years. :colbert:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
It always sounds so snobbish when a band is described as 'not relevant'. What the hell does that even mean? Why not just say 'they got poo poo' or something like that.

As for Slayer, they do pretty much sound the same all the time but at least they seem consistent.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Y'all forgetting Tankard exists.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

This is probably old news to most of you, but holy poo poo, Goatwhore slays live. Saw them last night for the first time with Black Breath, Ringworm, and Theories. Every band was on loving point.

They added a second date tonight and if I didn't have to get up at the asscrack of dawn tomorrow morning, I would probably be going.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Shakenbaker posted:

Y'all forgetting Tankard exists.

Also Kreator maybe? I never disliked anything they did..

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Darkthrone has stayed relevant by constantly evolving and shifting their music style while remaining loyal to their metal roots.

Death Metal > Black Metal > Blackened Thrash > Crust Punk > Traditional Classic Metal

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
You can stream the new BTBAM album here http://www.spin.com/2015/07/stream-between-the-buried-and-me-coma-ecliptic/

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Turk February posted:

Bolt Thrower
I thought this, but it's kind of cheating to name a band that hasn't actually released an album in almost 10 years.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone who's been to/lives in Norway or Sweden have a good site to look up shows? I think I'll be there in August.

Here's one for Norway : http://www.eternal-terror.com/gigolog/

Other than that, try Bandsintown and Last.fm.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd love another Bolt Thrower album. Especially if it was all muddy like Realm of Chaos.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

ElectricWizard posted:

Here's one for Norway : http://www.eternal-terror.com/gigolog/

Other than that, try Bandsintown and Last.fm.

Thanks. Haha Metallica is in Bergen the first night I could be there. Never seen them but I'd prefer something more local.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks. Haha Metallica is in Bergen the first night I could be there. Never seen them but I'd prefer something more local.

This happens in Bergen on August 27th, in case you are still there and if you're into black and death metal (and Angel Witch!):

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Cool those are most likely the days I'll be there, leaving Saturday afternoon though so that day wouldn't work.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

ElectricWizard posted:

This happens in Bergen on August 27th, in case you are still there and if you're into black and death metal (and Angel Witch!):

God damnit gently caress living in a different country.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Turk February posted:

Bolt Thrower

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Metal thread I don't keep up anywhere near as much as I should but I was recommended Alkaloid's debut album and incidentally it loving owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ4YCs9fzmY

edit - also

Vintersorg posted:

Napalm Death have stayed pretty drat consistent.

should be quoted because it's true

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 8, 2015

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Omnikin posted:

Metal thread I don't keep up anywhere near as much as I should but I was recommended Alkaloid's debut album and incidentally it loving owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ4YCs9fzmY

edit - also

should be quoted because it's true

This is some guitar wankery I can get behind. I was wondering what the Obscura guys were doing, Omnivium was real good, and so is this.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Has anyone taken a structured approach to introduce a friend to extreme metal? I imagine it starts with something heavy-ish with clean vocals and slowly works in heavier music before moving into partially clean and then death before black.

My friend listens to punk and loves Propaghandi who I think sounds fairly heavy for a punk band.

Any recommendations? Doesn't necessarily need to be chronological since I know some people will say listen to Maiden, but I think that could potentially lead someone to think it sounds outdated.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe see if you can get him into crusty metallic hardcore like Trap Them.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
In my experience the easiest metal to get non-metal listeners to listen to are things like Mastodon and Protest the Hero to start

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Exmortus is touring with Marty Friedman this year..

9/9 Baltimore, MD - Soundstage
9/10 NYC, NY - Gramercy Theatre
9/11 Pittsburgh, PA - Altar Bar
9/12 Philadelphia, PA - Northstar Bar
9/13 Boston, MA - Brighton Music Hall
9/15 Cleveland, OH - Beachland Ballroom
9/16 Toronto, ON - Virgin Mobile Mod Club
9/17 Detroit, MI - Token Lounge
9/18 Chicago, IL - Reggie's Rock Club
9/19 St. Louis, MO - Fubar
9/20 Kansas City, MO - Riot Room
9/22 Denver, CO - Marquis
9/23 Salt Lake City, UT - Liquid Joes
9/25 Seattle, WA - El Corazon
9/26 Vancouver, BC - Rickshaw
9/27 Portland, OR - Aladdin
9/29 San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall
9/30 Hollywood, CA - Whisky-a-Go-Go
10/1 Anaheim, CA - House of Blues
10/2 Las Vegas, NV - Backstage Bar
10/3 Ramona, CA - Mainstage

should be pretty awesome

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

My rap junkie friend is really into Amon Amarth and Mastodon, so there's a good start.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My coworkers consider anything with even slightly yelled vocals as having Cookie Monster vocals. I got one guy to listen to Sleeps Holy Mountain which went over well, I guess bluesy stoner stuff isn't too much of a stretch so it's a start.

Most of the complaints I hear about metal are about the vocals, but I guess that's fair enough because that's the most common deal breaker for me too :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

How about Mastodon? Especially if you take their albums in reverse order, you go from hard prog to sludge and from clean vocals to shouty growly vocals.

And then move on to harder/more dissonant stuff from there.

Personally, I found Behemoth to be one of the easier extreme metal bands to get into, probably because they actually know how to write great songs and don't sound like they record on a worn-out Fisher Price tape recorder in an empty oil drum.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 8, 2015

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Snowy posted:

My coworkers consider anything with even slightly yelled vocals as having Cookie Monster vocals. I got one guy to listen to Sleeps Holy Mountain which went over well, I guess bluesy stoner stuff isn't too much of a stretch so it's a start.

Most of the complaints I hear about metal are about the vocals, but I guess that's fair enough because that's the most common deal breaker for me too :v:

Me too except it's the awfulness of so many clean-vocal singers :v:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ChickenArise posted:

Me too except it's the awfulness of so many clean-vocal singers :v:

Holy poo poo yes this, I usually hate when there's clean vocals on metal songs like nevermore.

However I did trick my coworker into liking black metal through krallice because they don't usually have vocals in a lot of songs.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I like Nevermore's vocals a lot. I should use that as an example. I know I've played him some of that before and he's been to a Mastodon show with me. He's obsessed with Moby Dick so that was easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

Has anyone taken a structured approach to introduce a friend to extreme metal? I imagine it starts with something heavy-ish with clean vocals and slowly works in heavier music before moving into partially clean and then death before black.

My friend listens to punk and loves Propaghandi who I think sounds fairly heavy for a punk band.

Any recommendations? Doesn't necessarily need to be chronological since I know some people will say listen to Maiden, but I think that could potentially lead someone to think it sounds outdated.

I started off by listening to Burzum and Bathory(mainly Blood Fire Death).