Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

jony ive aces posted:

someone post that poe's law one that was in the secfuck thread or wherever a while back about the guy doing a break and enter in his friend's workplace to hack the computers

I would consider myself to be rather skilled when it comes to programming, so I thought it would be a good way to make money. I wrote a couple of scripts to show adverts when people browsed with internet explorer. When they clicked on these ads I'd be paid.

Note: this doesn't harm their PCs in any way.

I couldn't think of the best way to get a lot of people to use this software so I began looking at the offices of several medium sized companies. A friend of mine mentioned his office never lock their maintenance door because it is used too often. He was in no way complicit or new what I was going to do.

I made sure to drive past the office quite regularly, and decided that Sunday morning would be the best time. So about 2 months ago on a Sunday morning I went inside. I DID NOT BREAK IN, THEIR DOOR WAS UNLOCKED, I SIMPLY OPENED IT AND WALKED IN.

I booted up a PC with a live OS from my USB drive and copied the file to the local hard drive, and arranged for a company wide email to be sent out at 10am on Monday with the title "Office Party" and had the software in an attachment called "Party ideas". When someone opened this file it would bring up a new txt file with a hashmap drawing of a party hat, and underneath it says "Who's up for a party?" It would also install the software I wrote in the background. I thought some people might suspect a .exe file attachment was a virus, but if word got around that i brought up a silly picture more people might open it.

Anyway, this brought in a lot more money than I thought it would, there are roughly 500 - 600 employees based at that office, with another smaller office of 200ish people. So the email I sent either went to more than the whole office or people have been spreading it around. Not that I mind of course.

I spoke to my friend again this past Saturday and he said that they've had company wide email about the attachment and that how it's a virus and is being investigated. The poor girl whose PC the emails came from is distraught apparently, and is being accused of going on NSFW websites.

I don't think it can be traced back to me, and even if it can I don't think i've actually done anything illegal! Their office was free for me to walk into, there was no keep out signs, and it wasn't even locked! Secondly I've not done any damage to their PCs, it purely shows ads and can be removed by using "add / remove programs". It is NOT malicious, it does not copy itself, or try to hide AT ALL.

Do I need a lawyer?

Can I eve get in trouble if I'm caught?

Thanks,

EDIT: Again, I did not break in. I simply walked in. There was no force involved in my entry at all.

EDIT 2: Yes you're all very funny. But no-one has provided a valid reason why I could get into trouble for this? It's not like i stole anything, unless you count the air I breathed when I was in the office for fucks sake! Ads aren't evil, it's Google's whole business model!

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/38ihf2/installed_software_on_several_pcs_to_make_me_a/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I’m in highschool and money was stolen from my bank account. I need help NOW posted:

I'm in highschool (just finished my frosh yr) and I’m supposed to go on a big trip this summer. I didnt have any way to get money and my parents didnt want me to have a lot of cash so they set me up with my first bank account and put $1000 in! It came with a atm card and some checks.

The checks were really cool, I never had anything like them before. But I was kind of sad because I didn’t have anything to use them for. I had a lot of friends over last week and I showed them the checks and they all thought they were really cool too. I got the idea that I could give my friends some souvenir checks. I TOLD them these were ONLY SOUVENIRS. We had a blast that day, I was acting like a billionaire and making jokes asking people how much money they needed and then writing them a fake check. I kept telling them it was all FAKE and they couldn’t cash the checks.

Because some of my friends are idiots I got a txt today from one guy saying he tried to cash a check and the bank wouldnt give him money. I told him what the f*** are you doing trying to cash the check after I TOLD you not to.

I went to the bank this afternoon to sort it out and I asked how much money was in the account. They said there was NOTHING in the account and that I owed THEM money for fees. I felt like I was going to faint or throw up so I got out of there as fast as I could (didn’t explain the situation to them).

I need to fix this without my parents finding out. do I talk to the police first or do I talk to the bank first about the stolen money? Im in MI.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i never thought id say this but i gotta start reading reddit this is hilarious

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
this must be a fake story

it's like 4chan greentext except really sad instead of funny

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MeruFM posted:

They're all so sad and pathetic that I'm really not entirely sure.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

this one's gotta be fake

the virus one I believe to be real and hilarious

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

theflyingexecutive posted:

renting to own furniture is a clear loving sign you can't be trusted to make good decisions

piece of poo poo sofa made from the finest reused pallet wood. only $199 (or $59 down and $19/month for 480 months)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

please post more of them tia

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

MeruFM posted:

weepypasta

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

LastInLine posted:

please post more of them tia

Lots of them are really just sad and horrible.

http://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3cd64k/i_got_hit_by_a_car_and_the_persons_insurance/ posted:

I was hit by a car when I had the "walk" crosswalk symbol and they had a red light, which they ran, and originally they drove away but they went around the block and came back, I am told. I was unconscious. Someone called an ambulance which transported me to the hospital. At the hospital they did a number of scans to look for broken bones and internal bleeding and other problems from what the doctors say. In the end I was incredibly very lucky to have no very serious injuries. I had bruises and cuts pretty much everywhere but my insides and bones were okay. Now the insurance says they don't want to pay for some aspects of my care because they say an ambulance was not needed if nothing was wrong with me since I was up and walking before the ambulance got there, and that all the scans were unnecessary because they found nothing. The total of charges they don't want to pay are about $7000.

I cannot afford the portion of the bill and don't know what to do other than sue. But who do I even sue, the insurance or the driver? And can I sue them alone or do I have to hire a lawyer? I know there are some lawyers who will take your case before the case and then if they win they take money from the winnings but obviously in this case the winnings are for medical bills so paying for a lawyer would just mean I have to pay some hospital bills anyway which I can't afford so I am looking for advice. Thanks.

"hey guys I have a slam dunk personal injury lawsuit how can I handle this myself without a lawyer who does this for a living? ps the opposing party is going to be a brigade of lawyers that do nothing but try and deny claims however possible"

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
reddit = gently caress

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Lots of them are really just sad and horrible.

"hey guys I have a slam dunk personal injury lawsuit how can I handle this myself without a lawyer who does this for a living? ps the opposing party is going to be a brigade of lawyers that do nothing but try and deny claims however possible"

i have to wonder why insurance companies try to gently caress people this when it has to run the risk of the person deciding to call a lawyer and suddenly the payout goes up 3-10x.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shifty Pony posted:

i have to wonder why insurance companies try to gently caress people this when it has to run the risk of the person deciding to call a lawyer and suddenly the payout goes up 3-10x.

because people are by and large morons. ive begged and pleaded with people to get a PI lawyer anytime they get in a wreck and most people are either "too busy" "can't leave work without getting fired (which would make the settlement larger due to lost wages)" or "lawyers will take all the settlement and I'll get nothing" ignoring the fact that 2/3rds of whatever settlement the lawyer gets dwarfs 100% of the scraps you get when you try to run it solo.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
guys i'm super surprised that the ceo of a tech company is kind of an rear end in a top hat. how could this happen? in the words of Naruto: "<pretend i posted japanese characters here>"

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Ehh.... I got hit by a drunk driver who had the absolute minimum insurance in my state ($20k for personal injury)
I had a lawyer, and guess how much Geico paid out? $20k. So this isn't really true in my experience
But to be fair, if I didn't have a lawyer my health insurance company would have taken it all because actually they paid all my bills (which was way more than $20k) and my only out of pocket was the deductible.

e: to my knowledge the driver is liable for the remaining costs, but hes a broke rear end alcoholic who lives with his mom and is about to get convicted on felony charges

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it warms my heart seeing all the new believers recognizing the beauty of reddit in this thread.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

As a Millennial I posted:

it warms my heart seeing all the new believers recognizing the beauty of reddit in this thread.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

quote:

Long time lurker, first time poster.
I graduated in the Spring of 2010 with just south of 200K in Student Loan Debt (198.6K to be precise) Many of us here are battling Student Loans and i decided that my story may be helpful to some (if anything, it can give you the at least im not that guy feels)
How I Cultivated So Much Debt: I had the brilliant idea at the end of high school to follow my dreams of being an Architect and to study somewhere that was interesting and far away to impress my friends and family back home. I chose an out-of-state private school, which over the 5 years i spent earning my degree, the tuition + room and board averaged 56K per year. I worked my rear end off my freshman year and earned a half tuition scholarship for the remaining four years. Considering that the scholarship i was awarded added up to 96K i thought i was in good shape. I thought wrong and left college with 198.6K in Student Loan Debt.

The Real World Got Real: I was staring down the barrel of $1458 a month towards Student Loans. I looked into all the possibilities: consolidation, IBR, ect. ect. This is when i found out that many of the options for easing your payments only apply to Federally owned Loans. (80% of mine were private) My best option was to make Interest Only Payments, which lowered my payments by roughly $600 a month for 2 years. 2010 was a dark time to graduate. I spent 4 months looking for a job. The best opportunity i was offered was a 6 month unpaid internship in NYC which may or may not become a full-time paid position. I came to the realization that even if i could find an architecture job,i would have a heck of a time keeping up with the impending student loan bills. I knew i had to get creative and get to work fast, my 6 month grace period was almost up. Sallie-Mae was on her way to my front door.

What Did I Do I was getting a little desperate, I had no safety net, the recession was crushing my parents and they couldn't help. When in high school i gave swim lessons and ran small soccer camps and I decided to go with what i learned from that. I started a business teaching kids how to play soccer. What does that have to do with my dream of becoming an architect? Nothing. My first year i made only 12K, it sucked. The next year 22K, the next 34K. By mid 2013 I had grown it enough to be approached by an interested buyer. I sold it for 108K in 2013, paid out over 5 years. I then moved to a different state and started another business doing the exact same thing. (side note: this was the most miserable and stressful thing that i have ever done in my life) While starting the new business, I picked up a job working for a steel fabrication company as a project manager. What does this have to do with my dream of becoming an architect? Almost nothing but at least its in the same industry. I work off commission at that job and i have steadily increased my earnings. In 2013 I made 45K total. 2014 I made 63K. This year the ball has started to roll and i am projected to make 130K!

Whats Next: I still owe 141K and I am currently paying the $1458 a month towards my loans. I also take 20% of my earnings before taxes and put it towards my loans as well. (This year through June, I have paid off 18K) I am paying my loans off in order of interest, snowballing if you will, and have eliminated all loans above 7.5% (thank you 2008 for the ridiculously high rates) At this pace, i will be able to pay the rest off by the end of 2020.

My Advice: From the get go I decided to focus on the bright side of my crushing debt. It kept me HUNGRY I have learned to be decisive, to take calculated risks, to believe in myself and to solidify positive habits. Without the loans, i doubt i would be as successful. Look at your loans as a challenge and rise to meet it!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

this one's gotta be fake

the virus one I believe to be real and hilarious

It's a high school freshman whose parents gave him a bank account with $1000 in it. How likely do you think he is to have paid attention or considered anything carefully in his life

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what's the lovely part

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

idgi

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh lol i get it now
the joke is that you made us read that thing you piece of poo poo. gently caress u

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Bloody posted:

what's the lovely part

life

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
the oppressive capitalist system

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/352fus/false_rape_nm/ posted:

Met this girl on a dating app. She came right out and said she would be up for a hook up only.

We go out and I take her back to my place. My roommate and three of his male friends are there but leave shortly. She is quiet the whole time. I ask her if anything is wrong while the six of us are talking. She says no and fiddles with her phone.

I ask her to watch a movie. She says ok. She starts talking about how she needs to leave when the movies starts. I joke with her about her promise. She laughs, I laugh. I move in to make out with her. She isn't into it at first. I ask her if she is ok. She says she is ok. She fiddles with her phone a bit (reception is really bad in my apartment/area). I gently take it from her and put it down. She seems ok with this. She smiles. I move in and try to start things again. She is into it.

Sex happens. After, I go to take a shower and I come out and she is gone. My back door is open. I drove so she doesn't have a car.

About 20 minutes later, the police come by and arrest me.

Apparently, she says she felt unsafe and I raped her and when I left to take a shower, she "fled" the house and went to the neighbors to call 911.
They found her underwear in my house and they said it had a bit of blood in it. I don't know how that could have happened but it could have been there before. The sex wasn't rough.

I am not sure where to go from here. They said I'd be assigned an public defender because I am so poor.

I didn't sign anything or admit to anything. I just told them it didn't happen like whatever she claimed.

They won't tell me if the rape kit came back positive for force or not and they won't tell me all of what she said.

WTF happened? How do I not to go to jail forever because of some crazy sensitive person who read the situation wrong? If she had told me no at all I would have stopped or asked me to take her home, I would have.

tldr: guy invites girl over, takes her phone and doesn't let her leave until they have sex, is baffled when she says she was raped

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

PUGGERNAUT posted:

tldr: guy invites girl over, takes her phone and doesn't let her leave until they have sex, is baffled when she says she was raped

i hate you for making me read this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

reddit sucks and gently caress you all for reposting reddit poo poo in here

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
reddit is amazing in the way that watching a car get hit by a train is awesome or the way that clicking a povrayman link is awesome

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

has anyone said "no reddit is bad" yet?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that post is fake poo poo from a mens rights advocate, just like the guy asking /r/legaladvice how to get out of paying child support for a kid that he wanted to abort

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

As a Millennial I posted:

that post is fake poo poo from a mens rights advocate, just like the guy asking /r/legaladvice how to get out of paying child support for a kid that he wanted to abort

my name is also abort lol

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

BeOSPOS posted:

my name is also abort lol

wish i could abort ur poasts!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Last Chance posted:

reddit sucks and gently caress you all for reposting reddit poo poo in here

yes reddit sucks but please post more of it tia

im not going to go there myself but much like bitcoiners i am happy to read the kinds of things they consider problems this legal advice poo poo is top notch

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'm the guys reading a reddit thread getting mad about reposts of crazy poo poo posted to reddit

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

don't go to twoxchromosomes. all the posts are about men.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

BACKGROUND

Reddit Inc. A Califorinia company, employs a CEO named Ellen Pao who currently discriminates against men and people who lack "diverse" characteristics.1 She has brought in well-known Silicon Valley diversity consultant Freada Kapor Klein to advise the company, however Freada runs organizations whose almost entire purpose is to violate discrimination law. 2 3 4 5 She knowingly did so while at the same time pursuing and losing a discrimination case in California Superior Court in Pao v. Perkins, using a similar line of reasoning that the discrimination law requires equality of outcomes instead of equality of opportunity 6. Similarly Reddit co-founder and board of director Alexis Ohanian himself seems to pursue gender discrimination 7 8, he came back to the company along with Ellen Pao when reddit CEO Yishan Wong resigned 9, and has since accused the websites community of being misogynistic. 10 In response to the criticism that has been levied against Ellen Pao,11 the company banned speech criticizing against morbidly obese people for unhealthy lifestyles,12 in addition to banning users levying criticism of its CEO in response to company censorship.13

PLEADING

I applied at a position right before submitting this complaint 14, and have been a member of the reddit community for 2 years 15, and my posts were among the ones deleted here 16. I am seeking an immediate injunction from further targeted censorship, shaddowbanning, and hiring discrimination, and a special investigator be assigned to investigate these claims, and to have these charges be brought to before the court by the state on behalf of Reddit users and employees. I base this on a good faith belief that the accused is violating title vii of the Civil Rights Act 17 for employment discrimination, in addition to violating the Unruh Civil Rights Act by arbitrarily discriminating against a people based on "defining characteristics", 18 19 in a place of public accommodation 27that refers to itself as "the front page of the internet" 20 21 22. I believe they know or ought to know they are in violation due of the law, and that they would rather disregard what the law and the judgement of a jury of their peers 23 24. Moreover there is tangental evidence that Alexis Ohanian had undue influence in the discrimination of his competitors on a crowdfunding platform named Patreon he is an investor in. 25 26
1 2 4 3 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

(1) http://www.wsj.com/articles/ellen-pao-says-gender-issues-wont-go-away-after-kleiner-trial-1428292861
(2) http://www.lpfi.org/smash-eligibility-requirements#eligibility
(4) https://medium.com/@TheRealFreada/ellen-pao-and-the-myth-of-meritocracy-2a4966bc9cbd
(3) http://www.lpfi.org/join-our-team#op-28487-physics-instructor
(5) http://www.kaporcenter.org/areas-of-work/diversifying-tech/
(6) http://www.plainsite.org/dockets/xs...yers-llc-et-al/
(7) http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2277826945001/reddit-founder-we-need-more-women-in-tech/#sp=show-clips
(8) censored from reddit
(9) http://fortune.com/2014/11/13/reddits-new-ceo-may-not-be-interim-for-long/
(10) http://motherboard.vice.com/read/reddit-cofounder-says-women-haters-on-reddit-are-deplorable
(11) censored by reddit
(12) censored by reddit
(13) censored from reddit
(14) https://jobs.lever.co/reddit/e91f0f57-4aeb-42fb-a933-1c9a6b446259/thanks
(15) censored from reddit
(16) censored from reddit
(17) http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/statutes/titlevii.cfm
(18) https://www.justia.com/trials-litigation/docs/caci/3000/3021.html
(19) http://shawvalenza.com/publications.php?id=78
(20) https://cmcplegalnews.wordpress.com...iness-websites/
(21) https://archive.is/dlYeG
(22) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reddit
(23) https://twitter.com/ekp/status/607372984756543488
(24) https://twitter.com/alexisohanian/status/388325800887349248
(25) censored from reddit
(26) http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-tn-patreon-alexis-ohanian-20140627-premiumvideo.html
(27) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruneyard_Shopping_Center_v._Robins

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'm the multiple "censored from reddit" links

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I've been following the "Fattening" developments closely since it happened, and I'm certain you'll be hearing a lot more about the legal aspects of the matter in the coming weeks.

Sadly, I don't think people denied posting status can be considered a "protected class," so I doubt this will go anywhere.

But this is not to say there are no avenues to pursue here.

There are several different kinds of cases possible when it comes to a situation like this. Here's a breakdown of the legal avenues that could be pursued, as I see it. (Obviously, this is informational, and none of the below constitutes legal advice!)

FRAUD

Fraud proceedings against Reddit and Ellen Pao herself (as an accessory) seem inevitable to me.

As should be obvious, profiting from a website you've said is in favor of free speech and then banning that speech is a clear example of financial advantage by deception, and if there isn't a law firm already working on a case this strong, I would be very surprised.

Just a prediction of how the case might go: The brunt of the legal burden will probably be borne by Reddit itself. The corporation facilitated the fraud, and it has no doubt been brought to their attention by now, so by not reinstating the banned subs, they are knowingly allowing the use of their site for fraudulent activities.

By making false promises to users (IE: "Your ideas will not be censored") and then profiting from selling ad space based on their traffic numbers, they've opened themselves to some potentially large judgements.. That's the avenue I would personally pursue, as Reddit likely has much deeper pockets than Pao herself...and we lawyers gotta go for the money! :)

The potential for punitive damages in a case like this is huge.

ANTITRUST

This is my personal area of practice, so this is where I'm most certain.

I can't say too much about the specific case my firm may (or may not) be working on when it comes to FatPeopleHate and bans on reddit, but in broad strokes, it doesn't take a genius to see how anti-trust laws are being ignored wholesale by this website.

They call themselves "The Front Page of the Internet," and due to its traffic numbers, Reddit essentially holds a monopoly on a certain kind of discourse. To not allow other kinds of discourse it to essentially profit from your monopoly status by making competition impossible. Anyone with a background in anti-trust and collusion law could look at the relevant legislation and caselaw and deduce what avenues we would likely be pursuing.

LIBEL AND DEFAMATION

I don't think I've ever seen a group as maligned and libeled as Fatpeoplehate by reddit as a corporation, and the evidence is right there in front of anyone's face.

While membership in a subreddit isn't a legally protected class in the US, that doesn't mean there's no protection at all. In broad terms, if "print, writing, pictures, signs, effigies, or any communication embodied in physical form" is injurious to a person's reputation, "exposes a person to public hatred, contempt or ridicule, or injures a person in his/her business or profession," there's a case.

It should be obvious how FPH and its members have been defamed. The only thing to do now is to seek redress. I wonder if any of you have been contacted about participating in a class action lawsuit of this nature?

As I said, my firm mainly deals with antitrust and cross border merger cases, but I'd be curious to hear from anyone pursuing (or planning to pursue) any of the other legal aspects of this matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Wild EEPROM posted:

reddit is amazing in the way that watching a lexus suv try to skip a train crossing and get hit by a train is awesome

• Locked thread