Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Scholastic is what kept me alive as a child and they will forever be the wind beneath my wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I went and re-read some of the Animorphs books several years ago.

After reading them as an adult, I had to stop and ask myself: How the gently caress did these books not cause some kind of controversy or upset a lot of parents or something? I had forgotten just how dark and violent they were at times. :stare:

Charles Martel posted:

Please tell me you're hinting at the snorlax video.

gently caress, he's not Snorlax, his name's BORLAX, you fuckin' dipshit!

EDIT: They got Marco's animal wrong. His main animal was a gorilla, not a rhino. :argh:

Vandar fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 6, 2015

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Personally, I liked his crazy rant against Scholastic books.

"THEY'RE A SCAM!" :allears:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Woolie has the most, but all of the Zaibatsu guys have really weird things that irrationally irritate them to a massive degree. And they're always loving hilarious.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I read every single Animorphs book when it came out, and literally the only thing I remember about it is that if someone offers to change you into a termite, you loving say no.

edit: This is Woolie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHyMU7fWVwk

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 7, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Andrast posted:

How does Woolie manage to be this salty about Animorphs
It's so good though!

"I died, your turn woolie!"
"Whoops I immediately fell in a pit take the controller back"

Him getting even saltier because the game isn't even bad is slaying me

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I watched an Animorphs episode for that "review a random series you never watched before" thread TVIV had, and it was bad, but it wasn't that bad, Woolz. C'mon.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Have you guys ever been to Israel/Palestine? It's beautiful, but one place you have to go us the Dead Sea. It's one of the weirdest feelings, being in the water so full of Woolie-playing-Animorphs juice, you can't stand.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Have you guys ever been to Israel/Palestine? It's beautiful, but one place you have to go us the Dead Sea. It's one of the weirdest feelings, being in the water so full of Woolie-playing-Animorphs juice, you can't stand.

Bray-vo! Enn-core!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

FauxGateau posted:

Just the beat of him going "I'm done" as soon as the title popped up basically killed me.

Same here. Just fired up the video.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Did Woolie get really salty when basically Animorphs started showing up in the third Harry Potter book too?

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Did Woolie get really salty when basically Animorphs started showing up in the third Harry Potter book too?

I think he would've hated it on principle because of Scholastic~

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If Woolie was salty from just the idea of animorphs, he'd be real mad if he actually read them.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I wonder how Woolie thinks Scholastic is a scam. Because what he said in the video just sounds like marketing and merchandising a license - something all of the Zaibatsu consume in spades. I mean, poo poo, we just had two weeks devoted to it this past month!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Tae posted:

If Woolie was salty from just the idea of animorphs, he'd be real mad if he actually read them.

The fact that neither of them knew the books had aliens in them showed how little they know. Boy oh boy do those books go places....

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Genetic Toaster posted:

"THEY'RE A SCAM!" :allears:

Woolie uses UBER. He is the LAST person who ought to complain about scams.

Remember, if it's convenient, it ain't a scam! :p

maybeflan
May 15, 2014
Happy 100th Podcast and a belated birthday to Liam.

Link: http://superbestfriendsplay.com/podcast/sbfc-100-goosebumps-god-arrange/
Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ9YHx5o7mk

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also, the mimic thing that they were talking about

http://oblivionsedge.tumblr.com/post/116975650466/by-vempirick-because-some-people-just-havent

It's a repost but it's so good

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Maybe it was different in Canada, but Scholastic books were available everywhere regularly here in the states, and it was only occasional "fairs" at the schools which was probably the only time a lot of kids were going to get the chance to get more books since most parents weren't going to be heading out to a bookstore. Like gently caress Woolie just deciding his random whims are fact, Scholastic wasn't a scam they were an actual publisher.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

At some point maybe someone should just make a game where the enemies are nothing but mimics.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Congratulations to 100 podcasts to all of you guys! :toot:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Woolie praising Gate, Gangsta, and Gungrave as Liam shits on Majin Buu

This is a nightmare

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I can't wait for Woolie's reaction to gate's "only the us has black people in their special forces!" thing

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Gate is utter utter trash and woolie praising it makes me want to think twice about his recommendations. It's really utter trash of a manga.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well Woolie just watched the only current episode of the new anime, which as I understand it is just the fight in Ginza. I could understand that fooling someone into thinking Gate is cool.

Gangsta though bluuuuuh

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Gangsta is decent. Not amazing, but decent.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Rodyle posted:

Well Woolie just watched the only current episode of the new anime, which as I understand it is just the fight in Ginza. I could understand that fooling someone into thinking Gate is cool.

Gangsta though bluuuuuh

gently caress, they actually made an anime out of it? even the most torrid POS fanservice loli anime makes a better case for existing than loving gate.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Extra Podcast: Matt and Woolie guest on SleepyCast.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Seriously, Woolie just declaring that Scholastic are a scam because they...sell books to schoolkids? Like, I couldn't follow his logic at all. Is it because they have book fairs in school?

"Oh no, all these kids are spending their money...on books!"

He's the only person who'd get mad about kids buying books.

I did crack up at Pat's conversation with Liam. "He said 'I'm going to play .Hack' and I said 'No you're not!' and he said 'Yeah, you're right.'"

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 7, 2015

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man I always cringe when the superbestfriends talk about spending money. "Oh I gave $500 for this kickstarter", "I just spent $400 on this figure", "oh man I saw dothack for $65 what a steal", "the show was $50 so it was practically nothing".

I'm in college and I can't handle it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I dunno, I kinda get where Woolie is coming from. I recall there being bookfairs, which would visit your school, and also order catalogue/forms you'd get periodically. Scam might be a strong word but it certainly had an air of siphoning money out of kids.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Oxyclean posted:

I dunno, I kinda get where Woolie is coming from. I recall there being bookfairs, which would visit your school, and also order catalogue/forms you'd get periodically. Scam might be a strong word but it certainly had an air of siphoning money out of kids.

I remember it from school, and I think the "scam" part he was talking about was basically a rewards program. Where you ordered books and got rewards like little licensed trinkets for reading/ordering so many books. Plus of course, us kids couldn't afford them so we hit our parents with level 3 guilt supers. Not as much for the books, but for the rewards.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I spoke to Woolie on twitter about why he thinks that, and he replied with this.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's a scam NOW, but back then we didn't get video games in our scholastic menus :mad:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea 'scam' is much but the Scholastic poo poo has almost always been a way to drain money as hard as possible away from children with POKEMON THE BOOK while getting support and protection as an 'educational service'.

They're as much an educational service as soda machine contracts are a nutritional service for schools, and really the only reason people don't call it out more is because yea a lot of us were like Pat and just bought a couple Goosebumps books.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I remember some games in the catalogue back when I was in elementary. Granted it was mostly edutainment stuff. I regretfully made my parents buy some really lame/crappy math game that i barely ever played.

e: Also, I think there's a certain aspect of peer-pressure/kids not being smart with money aspect to the book fairs. I always remember feeling like I didn't want to leave with nothing / hated the times where I didn't get to bring money or was the one kid who didn't get some neat pencil, pencil topper eraser, etc.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 7, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

To change the subject, oh my god Tormentum is just GORGEOUS.

"See this little line? Thanks to polygonal aliasing this COULDN'T EXIST!"

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I spoke to Woolie on twitter about why he thinks that, and he replied with this.

Ahahah, what a nerd.

Scholastic poo poo has always had bullshit that wasn't books or were thinly veiled as books. When your kid comes to you asking for the SUPER JOHN CENA SCHOLASTIC STICKER SET you smack em' upside the back of the head and make them get something with some meat on it instead. I mean yeah they could be more on the up and up for pushing books to kids but it's no more seedy than anything else you'll run into as a parent.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I think we can all see that Woolie wasn't exactly wrong, but was being hyperbolic, and as no Zaibatsu member has ever before used hyperbole to express themselves before, this is very remarkable.

cmykjester posted:

Man I always cringe when the superbestfriends talk about spending money. "Oh I gave $500 for this kickstarter", "I just spent $400 on this figure", "oh man I saw dothack for $65 what a steal", "the show was $50 so it was practically nothing".

I'm in college and I can't handle it.

I know the feeling they have, you make decent money and your friends all make decent money, so you forget that some people have way less than you. Even when you were that person 4 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

That sure is a nice excerpt that Woolie looked up and in no way was ever actually informed about before he made the comment he did.

hoobajoo posted:

I think we can all see that Woolie wasn't exactly wrong, but was being hyperbolic, and as no Zaibatsu member has ever before used hyperbole to express themselves before, this is very remarkable.

When Woolie is hyperbolic it is annoying and saying that people are committing actually crimes against humanity, when Pat is being hyperbolic it is endearing and hilarious because he's loving insane.