Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Valeyard posted:

Wish someone would groove you, with a carving knife!!!!!!

imagine three blind mice chasing after the farmer'a wife. Microsoft works in the same way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
bing it, groove it, quick, erase it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

from the "no loving poo poo anyone with half a brain knew this years ago" department

quote:

Microsoft’s Joe Belfiore revealed on Twitter yesterday that the old brand was simply too confusing. "Lots of people were saying ‘I don't have an Xbox, why would I use Xbox Music?’" said Belfiore. That appears to be a common complaint around the service, and Microsoft also started dropping the Xbox naming from its Music and Video apps for Windows 10 back in March.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

using microsoft's new browser: Edging, or Edgeplay?

Edging for general browser usage, EdgePlay for their browser-based gaming initiative that is based on WebD3D and WebCLR.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

qirex posted:

from the "no loving poo poo anyone with half a brain knew this years ago" department

what about zune?????

pram
Jun 10, 2001
new Minecraft Music

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Wheany posted:

oh man, "let me groove that for you", "i grooved it"

i think they have a winner

people will do some dancing gestures when saying "groove" in that ad

pram
Jun 10, 2001
why would microsoft spend money establishing zune as a music brand, and then use xbox.. and then make something completely new. .. .. . .?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pram posted:

why would microsoft spend money establishing zune as a music brand, and then use xbox.. and then make something completely new. .. .. . .?

becos the name is the problem and they haven't quite found the name that will make iTunes less good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

because if your dumb music service that's exactly the same as every other music service [but doesn't work on mac, android, ios, ps4, sonos, etc.] is a failure it's obviously the fault of the branding and marketing and not because the base idea is flawed

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

pram posted:

microsoft

i noticed that groove got added to the page because i just got Groove Edge

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pram posted:

because the zune team is in a completely different part of the company than the xbox team which is a whole other division apart from their online content department and they all compete with each other for resources and attention and power and strategic importance. thats the microsoft way - redundant teams pouring most of their effort into elbowing each other out of the way

also too the way stack ranking means that the best people in a area have an incentive to stay away from each other and dominate their own teams instead of combining their efforts for the overall good of the company

pram
Jun 10, 2001
good

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Fun fact: Don't use edge browser on windows 10 phone. It has a bug with constant bandwidth use, thank god I was on WiFi, it used 30gb idling "precaching web content". Using UC Browser now, at least that works.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theultimo posted:

Fun fact: Don't use windows phone.
thanks for the update

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

theultimo posted:

Fun fact: Don't use edge browser on windows 10 phone. It has a bug with constant bandwidth use, thank god I was on WiFi, it used 30gb idling "precaching web content". Using UC Browser now, at least that works.

lmao.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im going to buy a windows 10 phone I think.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

qirex posted:

because if your dumb music service that's exactly the same as every other music service [but doesn't work on mac, android, ios, ps4, sonos, etc.] is a failure it's obviously the fault of the branding and marketing and not because the base idea is flawed

well, it works on iOS/Android/web browsers now that working on those platforms is too late to matter

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

im going to buy a windows 10 phone I think.

It seriously is great for general use,
much better performance than Android ( mine has a quad core 1.2ghz only, but it trashes the 2.53 in the android phone I had due to java)

The only downside is the lack of apps, and the terrible culling on the app store. "web browser" search brings up 100 ie11 ad skins and like 3 actual real browsers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I just setup a new traveler server which works w/ winphone so I can finally ditch my 4s w/ failos 8.

but like just trying to find information on what winphones are available is a disaster. Microsoft's site only lists like 4 out of date phones and then each carrier has their own exclusive phones. its a loving nightmare. gonna wait until winphone 10 comes out tho and hopefully stuff will make more sense.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
i thought windows 10 phones weren't out until next year? the only win 10 stuff this year is desktop

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh that's a bummer. I guess i'll wait till then

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hopefully tim doesn't flip the kill switch on my battery before then

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
there isn't anything groundbreaking in win 10 for mobile as far as i know. you could get a win phone 8 and see how terrible they are now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

but like just trying to find information on what winphones are available is a disaster. Microsoft's site only lists like 4 out of date phones and then each carrier has their own exclusive phones. its a loving nightmare. gonna wait until winphone 10 comes out tho and hopefully stuff will make more sense.
they'll announce some crapphone for developing countries and promise that a flagship is "coming soon" and by the time that one ships in late 2016 it will already be obsolete and saddled with the windows app store

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

mod sassinator posted:

i thought windows 10 phones weren't out until next year? the only win 10 stuff this year is desktop

Win 10 phone is scheduled for holiday 2015, but the preview is available to most Lumia phones. From what I've seen, it's overhauling the interface and getting rid of a lot of the crap win pho menus

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i think you mean windows mobile (can we get some branding enforcement itt)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Win 10

Win 8.1

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
nice edit

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

pram posted:

i think you mean windows mobile (can we get some branding enforcement itt)

Windows 10 Mobile (rebranded from Windows 10 for phones)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

theultimo posted:

It seriously is great for general use,
much better performance than Android ( mine has a quad core 1.2ghz only, but it trashes the 2.53 in the android phone I had due to java)

The only downside is the lack of apps, and the terrible culling on the app store. "web browser" search brings up 100 ie11 ad skins and like 3 actual real browsers.

winpho will always be better than android, performance wise.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows 10 mobile groove bing live skype w/ halo minecraft enterprise redstone edition for phone series phone devices for windows phone

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Pinterest Mom posted:

Windows 10 Mobile (rebranded from Windows 10 for phones)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Welp, RTM might be installed this week to insiders
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2944796/microsoft-windows/windows-10-release-download-rtm-microsoft-itbwcw.html

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this operating system is a motherfucking PIECE of poo poo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

this is one of the most obnoxious articles i've ever read

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Dodoman posted:

winpho will always be better than android, performance wise.

it's gonna be real funny when win phone 10 brings the full NT kernel to the phone and people realize it's kinda poo poo to have a big desktop OS kernel on a small device. win phone 8 and below are using the stripped down CE kernel

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nope only winpho7 was wince

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mod sassinator posted:

it's gonna be real funny when win phone 10 brings the full NT kernel to the phone and people realize it's kinda poo poo to have a big desktop OS kernel on a small device. win phone 8 and below are using the stripped down CE kernel

except they switched to nt for windows phone 8

• Locked thread