Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I use colliquy plus ZNC, plus the colloquy plugin for ZNC to get push notifications and to sign in from multiple devices at once.

Though I've yet to see anyone else get push working, mine never worked and mysteriously started working one day, and I've tried helping a few people get it set up and theirs never works. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

ICHIBAHN posted:

loving hell. the new update / new Music app has changed a bunch of my album covers. loving shite. anyone else experiencing this? is there a fix? I'm guessing subscribing to Apple music caused it...

It's iCloud music drive. The fix is to disable that immediately and just use it in a streaming capacity, unfortunately. Lots of reports of hosed up metadata.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
done so. a sync in iTunes fixed it. thanks.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

My book group has troubles picking what to read next, and we have a pretty long running list of suggestions we're adding to each meeting so usually it devolves into writing on slips of paper and drawing from a hat. Are there any decent apps that can do this for us? I'm having problems finding any that can save a list between sessions (saving to dropbox would be even better) and most of the random picking apps I've found so far are ancient and haven't been updated in ages.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

slomomofo posted:

My book group has troubles picking what to read next, and we have a pretty long running list of suggestions we're adding to each meeting so usually it devolves into writing on slips of paper and drawing from a hat. Are there any decent apps that can do this for us? I'm having problems finding any that can save a list between sessions (saving to dropbox would be even better) and most of the random picking apps I've found so far are ancient and haven't been updated in ages.

If it were me, I'd have people add books to a google spreadsheet, number the cells, and then make a bounded random number with random.org or a sheet function and select that way.

The hat idea is pretty good though and I don't think my way is any better.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've got my parents iPad (I think it's an iPad 2, how the hell can I tell?) and I'm trying to put a TV series on it so they can watch it on their TV (stream it to their Apple TV) and I'm having a hell of a time.

Are there any apps out there that can play .mkv files with AC3 audio? None of them seem to work anymore. I've read around and have seen Fusion Pro mentioned, does anyone have any words to say on that app? I'd prefer something free, but if I have to pay, so be it, I just want to make sure I'm paying for a good App.

For a device that is marketed as simple to use, where "everything works", it's been a pretty bad experience. It should be "everything works if you only do what we say you can do". Surely watching video files that aren't purchased on iTunes isn't some niche "you need to jailbrake your device and install a bunch of dodgy poo poo" requirement for users.

Also, whats the refund policy on iTunes? Can I buy an app and return it in X amount of hours if it doesn't do what I want it to do?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

xcore posted:

I've got my parents iPad (I think it's an iPad 2, how the hell can I tell?) and I'm trying to put a TV series on it so they can watch it on their TV (stream it to their Apple TV) and I'm having a hell of a time.

Are there any apps out there that can play .mkv files with AC3 audio? None of them seem to work anymore. I've read around and have seen Fusion Pro mentioned, does anyone have any words to say on that app? I'd prefer something free, but if I have to pay, so be it, I just want to make sure I'm paying for a good App.

For a device that is marketed as simple to use, where "everything works", it's been a pretty bad experience. It should be "everything works if you only do what we say you can do". Surely watching video files that aren't purchased on iTunes isn't some niche "you need to jailbrake your device and install a bunch of dodgy poo poo" requirement for users.

Also, whats the refund policy on iTunes? Can I buy an app and return it in X amount of hours if it doesn't do what I want it to do?

lol "Ugh, I just want to play my pirated media. I also don't want to pay for an app that can do this. loving Apple."

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

tuyop posted:

If it were me, I'd have people add books to a google spreadsheet, number the cells, and then make a bounded random number with random.org or a sheet function and select that way.

Thanks tuyop, I'll give that a try if nothing else comes up.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Last Chance posted:

lol "Ugh, I just want to play my pirated media. I also don't want to pay for an app that can do this. loving Apple."

oh hey android syndrome

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

I actually said i would pay if there wasn't a free one that did it. I just wanted a recommendation.

Edit: And apologies for venting my frustration. I shouldn't said that expecting it not to be received as whiny threadshitting.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 7, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

I was gonna say something pretty similar, make a spreadsheet in Numbers and use the random function to pick from the range. There's also the form thing (in both now that I think about it) to add more entries without mucking in the main spreadsheet table.

I did something similar a while back for pizza toppings when I was bored, the caveat I saw with the random function is that it only changes picks on changes I think. It was a pretty simple workaround though, I think I just hit the text style or alignment buttons to toggle new random selections. If you want to retain some theatrics (well, as much as you can get out of a spreadsheet) you could split up the selection over another sheet or two. Like have a main sheet with everything, then the next narrowing it down to 5-10 picks, then the last one with the one true book. With a picture of your hat :v:

xcore posted:

I actually said i would pay if there wasn't a free one that did it. I just wanted a recommendation.

Edit: And apologies for venting my frustration. I shouldn't said that expecting it not to be received as whiny threadshitting.
If I knew for sure which had AC3 support I'd suggest something concrete, but if you want to research a little try looking up nPlayer, It's Playing, and AV Player HD. I think the latter two have free demo versions, and I think the last has some knockoff to watch out for (or all of them at one point actually). There's probably a shitload more, I guess try VLC if it's there, Infuse is another off the top of my head.

Oh and if it's an iPad 2 you might be screwed just cause it's slow and might not be able to handle what you throw at it (like HD stuff if it can't hardware decode it). If it's an iPad Air 2 you are a good son/daughter and it can probably play whatever. iPad 2 has the old wide iPod dock connector, iPad Air 2 has the little lightning plug that's reversible.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Cheers. I think nPlayer will have AC3 support in their next version which is coming out "soon" but doesn't currently. VLC was my first attempt but no dice. I'll check out the others though, thanks.

Oh, it looks like they have an iPad2 so they might boned anyway. Sadface.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

xcore posted:

Cheers. I think nPlayer will have AC3 support in their next version which is coming out "soon" but doesn't currently. VLC was my first attempt but no dice. I'll check out the others though, thanks.

Oh, it looks like they have an iPad2 so they might boned anyway. Sadface.

CineXplayer has handled everything I've tossed at it; also Plex, set up a media server and don't live like a savage storing media on the device.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

xcore posted:

If you/they have a Mac (or other computer, I guess) handy, I would just suggest using Plex. If the machine in question can't handle real-time transcoding, convert all your Linux ISOs to .m4v using iFlicks, which tags them properly and puts them in iTunes, and then point Plex at the iTunes video directories - best of both worlds.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Are there any viable iOS apps for managing risk mitigation plans for personal issues? I guess it's sort of like a to-do list but it's all laid out in discrete actionable steps to address known risks in a given system (RE: MY LIFE) and incrementally reduce the likelihood and consequence of that risk. Right now I'm using excel which is fine on my laptop and desktop but is terrible on my phone.

I don't know if any of this makes sense. I'm learning Risk/Issues/Opportunities management at work right now and I'm trying to see if it's something I can apply to my personal life to fix various identified behavioral issues I have. I want to become a robot man.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Are there any viable iOS apps for managing risk mitigation plans for personal issues? I guess it's sort of like a to-do list but it's all laid out in discrete actionable steps to address known risks in a given system (RE: MY LIFE) and incrementally reduce the likelihood and consequence of that risk. Right now I'm using excel which is fine on my laptop and desktop but is terrible on my phone.

I don't know if any of this makes sense. I'm learning Risk/Issues/Opportunities management at work right now and I'm trying to see if it's something I can apply to my personal life to fix various identified behavioral issues I have. I want to become a robot man.

Just use this direct store link on your device, it should have everything you're looking for.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

porktree posted:

CineXplayer has handled everything I've tossed at it; also Plex, set up a media server and don't live like a savage storing media on the device.
Yeah depending on the usage (like around the house primarily) one of the live transcoding apps could be good. I could never get into Plex but used AirVideo and StreamToMe. Course they depend on a decent enough computer to transcode live to begin with, but anything even remotely recent will work. When I first used them I had a 2ghz C2D for example.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

porktree posted:

SMB/network access has been around for oh, I don't know, forever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HEY NONG MAN posted:

You need therapy, not an app.

And I mean that in a nice way.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I'm not sure I fully understand, but do you basically mean like a checklist of things to do in a certain situation? I can't recommend a specific one, but I know that the default Notes app is going to feature checklist support in iOS 9 when it launches, and that Numbers (Apple's Excel equivalent) has some kind of checklist functionality.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I'd like to see this spreadsheet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Endless Mike posted:

You need therapy, not an app.

And I mean that in a nice way.

Yeah I know. Trust me I know.

So is there like a therapy app or?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah I know. Trust me I know.

So is there like a therapy app or?
There's CBT and DBT apps, though it would behoove you to see a therapist to get some help on which you might need and how to properly make use of them.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Pissflaps posted:

I'd like to see this spreadsheet.

Yes please! Me as well.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm not sure I fully understand, but do you basically mean like a checklist of things to do in a certain situation? I can't recommend a specific one, but I know that the default Notes app is going to feature checklist support in iOS 9 when it launches, and that Numbers (Apple's Excel equivalent) has some kind of checklist functionality.
UI wise though it still won't be ideal I think, unless he uses the form function maybe? Otherwise maybe a DB app would work similarly but keep things more organized.

Or actual therapy and those other apps apparently.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Which of the popularly suggested password managers (Lastpass/1pass/Dashlane) works best for someone that bounces between Windows, iOS, and Linux? I know Linux support is pretty light for all 3 and I've heard rumblings that 1password is lovely outside the Apple ecosystem, should I just stop being a baby and choose one? Sorry, I know password managers come up a lot here, at least I'm set for weather and podcasts.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dashlane? What's that?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Sheriff posted:

Which of the popularly suggested password managers (Lastpass/1pass/Dashlane) works best for someone that bounces between Windows, iOS, and Linux? I know Linux support is pretty light for all 3 and I've heard rumblings that 1password is lovely outside the Apple ecosystem, should I just stop being a baby and choose one? Sorry, I know password managers come up a lot here, at least I'm set for weather and podcasts.

I think that as long as you stick with one browser across Windows and Linux, either LastPass or 1Password would be fine? Both have iOS integration and Chrome/Firefox widgets, and I think 1Password even has offline support if you sync via dropbox and store your vaultfile locally - could be incorrectly remembering though, been a while since I tried using a password manager.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Sheriff posted:

I've heard rumblings that 1password is lovely outside the Apple ecosystem.

I use it on Windows as well as OSX and have used it on an android phone and an iPhone and I've not seen much/any difference between those platforms. It works well and I love the browser extensions on computers. For Mobile I just copy the password from the app.

I never use Linux so cant help with that

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Biggz posted:

I use it on Windows as well as OSX and have used it on an android phone and an iPhone and I've not seen much/any difference between those platforms. It works well and I love the browser extensions on computers. For Mobile I just copy the password from the app.

I never use Linux so cant help with that

Going to echo this. I use 1password across multiple platforms and it's worked perfectly well on every system that I've installed it on.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
There's this new app Dashlane

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just remember your passwords drat

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Love the google calendar app, but is there anyway to get it to show at-the-glance date and/or change the app name (so it doesn't show tacky as Google Cal... on the home screen)?

If not, what are some other good calendar apps?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
/\/\ Fantastical is the best.

I like Lastpass. The WebUI and browser integration is very good. The app is also awesome. I haven't used 1Pass. I think breakdown in payment scheme is also important. 1Pass is a single purchase license per device, which can get fairly expensive. LP is a subscription model at $2/month.

I've heard good things about Dashlane though.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just remember your passwords drat

I think you're the weirdo who can remember 75 16-character hexadecimal passwords perfectly or something, but really password strength is kind of irrelevant if you're concerned with SE attacks, which you kind of should be. Just use MFA as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Donald Kimball posted:

Love the google calendar app, but is there anyway to get it to show at-the-glance date and/or change the app name (so it doesn't show tacky as Google Cal... on the home screen)?

If not, what are some other good calendar apps?

I've tried them all and I just use stock Calendar, it's the only one Apple will allow to use the date in the icon.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've tried them all and I just use stock Calendar, it's the only one Apple will allow to use the date in the icon.

I use fantastical and don't really have an issue with there being no date shown on the icon given that the date is shown on the lock screen.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It has an option to use the notification badge as the date, ugly but it kinda works if you want that.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

tuyop posted:

/\/\ Fantastical is the best.

I like Lastpass. The WebUI and browser integration is very good. The app is also awesome. I haven't used 1Pass. I think breakdown in payment scheme is also important. 1Pass is a single purchase license per device, which can get fairly expensive. LP is a subscription model at $2/month.

nah, 1password is only per-platform, with a bundling discount for a combined mac/windows licence. you pay once for iOS, once for PC/Mac, and you're done forever and don't have to be concerned about how secure they are because you choose how it syncs.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Sunrise is fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Still prefer Calvetica because it is still the fastest, easiest way to punch in an appointment.