Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vibur
Apr 23, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

He also seems to enjoy laying on his belly with his rear legs kicked out like in the 2nd picture. Usually it's a result of him chewing on a toy and scooting forward. Not sure if this is a Corgi thing or if Sherlock is weird, but it makes his legs look extra small in comparison to the rest of him.
It's not just him. Gizmo does it all the time. It's his 2nd favorite sleeping position (the first being belly-up, of course).

According to the wife, tumblr refers to it as "the sploot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

vibur posted:

It's not just him. Gizmo does it all the time. It's his 2nd favorite sleeping position (the first being belly-up, of course).

According to the wife, tumblr refers to it as "the sploot".

I figured it wasn't unique to him...it always looks funny though.

Bonus conked-out-from-day-care shot:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Stomach / back laying are both textbook Corgi.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

The Dave posted:

Stomach / back laying are both textbook Corgi.

I knew about the back thing, I just didn't know the legs sticking out was a Corgi thing. I grew up with labs so that just didn't happen...not even sure it's physically possible with a lab.

catamar
May 23, 2008
Just want to make sure everyone is aware that the Best of Breed Cardigan Welsh Corgi at Crufts is named Mr. Blobby.

Mesimean
Feb 16, 2012
Hudsons family did rather well at Crufts this year. His dad was 2nd in his class and his littermate brother 3rd in his. So woo! Cardigans!

Lying proudly in the debris of whatever the heck he was destroying that day.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
My cardi Cova is 16 months old now. Her legs have moved up from looking like drumsticks to lamb chops.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

These pictures above are awesome. Blanket Corgi just keeps delivering while the last post looks like it jumped in to photobomb a picture of the cat.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Fitz figured out he can hide under the bed.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
A friend's neighbor just decided to get rid of her big Cardigan, and he's being offered to me. I feel like at this stage in my life it's not entirely responsible (and it would be a big adjustment for my tiny Pem), but also when am I ever going to get to join the Cardi Party this easily? :ohdear:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Millions posted:

A friend's neighbor just decided to get rid of her big Cardigan, and he's being offered to me. I feel like at this stage in my life it's not entirely responsible (and it would be a big adjustment for my tiny Pem), but also when am I ever going to get to join the Cardi Party this easily? :ohdear:

Hey, if you're not able to, and your friend's neighbor is looking for a Cardi-experienced adopter, I would love to give them my info. I'm in the process of talking to breeders about a second Cardigan, and a male in particular is what I'm looking for.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Millions posted:

I don't think dog size is necessarily an issue between Cardigan and Pembroke, it's more important the energy they have together with you. I have a midsize wire-haired dachshund with my much larger Pembroke and they get along just fine. They love to run around and play and the size difference doesn't seem to be an issue while wrestling and playfighting. The corgi does get a little growly when the dachshund doesn't follow whatever herding instinct the corgi thinks he should follow, but otherwise they are fine.

All that said, that's only one aspect of the problems when getting a second dog, obviously.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
Miles has been doing great! We've been working with him on his basic commands, primarily with "Wait" and "Okay". Now if you look him square in the eye when you hand him something he won't take it until you say its okay. We've even been able to get some controlled socialization in too! Some friends got a GSD, and when she was about 9 months old we introduced them. Miles now has no problem playing with bigger dogs... for the most part. Some are still big jerks, same with small dogs. He handles them great though.

I also found a very old bowtie from my 8th grade graduation, and had to put it on him.

It's his now.

He also celebrated his second birthday recently and got a nice stuffed dinosaur that he loves to snuggle with when nobody has a camera available.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Do any of your dogs ever get rug burn? Do they ever get stuck in weird places because they are so low to the ground, like this sports car I saw the other day that tried to jump a median and ended up suspended there in midair?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Do any of your dogs ever get rug burn? Do they ever get stuck in weird places because they are so low to the ground, like this sports car I saw the other day that tried to jump a median and ended up suspended there in midair?

Na, Corgis are agile. They were built for running around chasing poo poo after all.

Lucy did get stuck in the closet once. I couldn't find her anywhere until I checked a closet. She had got in it and somehow shut the the door behind her.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

thylacine posted:

Lucy did get stuck in the closet once. I couldn't find her anywhere until I checked a closet. She had got in it and somehow shut the the door behind her.

George gets stuck in rooms and the garage a lot because while he is very low to the ground, my wife and I are giants. He has learned not to walk right under us (lots of accidental kicks), but as a result he stays far enough back that sometimes he'll wander into a room while we're not paying attention and get shut in when we leave. Luckily we've always noticed pretty much immediately because he is my wife's furry little shadow so if she goes more than five minutes without seeing him, she starts looking.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Why are corgis bred to be so low? Does it help them avoid kicks from livestock?

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

They can run UNDER the livestock.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Yes. They were originally meant to work cattle, and it's key to be below hoof-range in that case. Of course, they keep making them shorter and stockier, which doesn't exactly lend itself to herding ability. Function first.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I told my dad about that when I got a corgi and he said that, in his experience growing up on a dairy farm, a cow is quite capable of kicking over a milk bucket but maybe they can't kick as hard at that height?

Mandatory picture of my dog waiting for an important call.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

I told my dad about that when I got a corgi and he said that, in his experience growing up on a dairy farm, a cow is quite capable of kicking over a milk bucket but maybe they can't kick as hard at that height?

Mandatory picture of my dog waiting for an important call.

Milk buckets don't move

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

abaddonis posted:

Milk buckets don't move

True, but I'm assuming a normally proportioned dog is as quick/agile as a short one.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

An hour ago, Indra passed away. After days of not walking or eating and being dehydrated for ages, we put her to sleep.
I shared more than 14 years of my life with her.

She had pretty heavy health problems in the end. One year ago, we already thought it would be over, as she was confused, scared and seemed to have a stroke. Turns out she just didn't drink enough and had an infection, along with meds and a drip she somehow survived and had another year, which went surprisingly well. She was on painkillers for a long while due to arthritis and she began to be incontinent, which culminated very recently.

This is her last picture. When arriving at the vet, she got up again for the first time in days and seemed to be pretty excited about everything, but shortly after she already entered the "I don't care what happens"-mode. Her personality had changed slowly over the last year and she seemed to be different in general, I assume her brain got damaged somehow, which wouldn't be too surprising regarding the state she was in after the infection.

I posted several times about her in here and she always was watching me when doing so. This time only her memory is left to watch me doing this. She will not be forgotten.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
So sorry for your loss. I'm sure Indra appreciated the 14 years of love you gave her.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
That was many years of her being a good girl.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Aww, that's a really nice post. Glad you had so much time together.

Igby is pushing twelve years, not sure how I'll handle him dying.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I'm so sorry Nobnob. Indra looks like a Good Girl.

Sorry to change tones so abruptly, but someone earned her HCT today!

She's pretty pleased with herself, and I'm pretty pleased too, she was given the toughest group of sheep in the second leg of the test and she managed to keep them together.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
I'm so sorry to hear about Indra. I'm glad she got to spend 14 years by your side.

Beanie turned 6 yesterday and on her birthday was on a walk with my friends and was attacked by a pit bull that was running off-leash. It grabbed her by the scruff of her neck and whipped her around trying to break her neck. Luckily my friend tackled the pit and pulled her out of its jaws or she wouldn't be home with me now. She spent five hours at the vet where they flushed her wounds and installed a drain in her back because her skin was torn from her subcutaneous tissue. They're continuing to monitor for any internal or crush injuries that may not come up immediately. She's loopy from meds but is recovering. I can't believe this happened and I feel horrible that I didn't just have her with me on her birthday. Please be safe out there, corgi friends.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Sad Corgi posts. Indra looked like a good dog. She was lucky to have you. Get well soon Beanie.

Here's Panda on her 3rd Birthday last month looking like an adorable dummy as usual.

She's been going to work with me all summer and has become the office mascot.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

A.s.P. posted:

I'm so sorry to hear about Indra. I'm glad she got to spend 14 years by your side.

Beanie turned 6 yesterday and on her birthday was on a walk with my friends and was attacked by a pit bull that was running off-leash. It grabbed her by the scruff of her neck and whipped her around trying to break her neck. Luckily my friend tackled the pit and pulled her out of its jaws or she wouldn't be home with me now. She spent five hours at the vet where they flushed her wounds and installed a drain in her back because her skin was torn from her subcutaneous tissue. They're continuing to monitor for any internal or crush injuries that may not come up immediately. She's loopy from meds but is recovering. I can't believe this happened and I feel horrible that I didn't just have her with me on her birthday. Please be safe out there, corgi friends.

Jaysus. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have pets - there was a story on the local news some time back about how some woman's chihuahua was killed by a G-shep mix that was running free. She was jogging, saw the dog and its owner coming up went to pick up her dog and the shepherd's owner said 'she's a nice dog, she won't hurt him'. she thought it'd be nice to socialize them and didn't pick up the 'hua. A moment later the shepherd takes one look at the chihuahua, grabs it, and shakes it until its neck breaks. Turns out the offending dog had a history of attacking other dogs, too.

Sorry for the derail. I just hate to see animals hurt because people are loving stupid. Hope Beanie gets better soon!

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Drake_263 posted:

the shepherd's owner said 'she's a nice dog, she won't hurt him'.

The offending dog had a history of attacking other dogs, too.

That is downright evil.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
loving irresponsible, is what it is.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Should show her the same kindness that poor 'hua got in the end.

PegLegActual
Sep 11, 2001

Real Pirate. Real Amputee. Limping Through Life.

Meet Deuce. Nobody in the neighborhood remembers my name anymore. They greet me with "Hey..where's Deuce?".

This drat dog.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Hey guys, my sister has been wanting to get a dog since she moved, and she's decided on a Cardi, and she's going to a dog show next month to meet with some breeders from around Texas. She wants a young adult/adult, and is looking into a retired show bitch. There are some issues, though:

- She lives in a 3rd floor apartment. Top floor, so the dog wouldn't be screaming at upstairs neighbors, at least, but she does share one wall with another apartment.
- She's never really spent much time around dogs. First-time dog owner, herding breed doesn't seem like a great idea.
- She's at work all day. Comes home for lunch, though, but goes out after work and on weekends a lot.
- Her cat, Arcee, is just under a year old, and is a bitey little rageball. I'd be afraid to leave a dog alone with that.

Should I make an attempt to talk her out of it - into getting another breed, or not getting a dog at all? If I've got that day off, I may go with her to the show, make sure she's asking the right questions and all.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Drum posted:

Hey guys, my sister has been wanting to get a dog since she moved, and she's decided on a Cardi, and she's going to a dog show next month to meet with some breeders from around Texas. She wants a young adult/adult, and is looking into a retired show bitch. There are some issues, though:

- She lives in a 3rd floor apartment. Top floor, so the dog wouldn't be screaming at upstairs neighbors, at least, but she does share one wall with another apartment.
- She's never really spent much time around dogs. First-time dog owner, herding breed doesn't seem like a great idea.
- She's at work all day. Comes home for lunch, though, but goes out after work and on weekends a lot.
- Her cat, Arcee, is just under a year old, and is a bitey little rageball. I'd be afraid to leave a dog alone with that.

Should I make an attempt to talk her out of it - into getting another breed, or not getting a dog at all? If I've got that day off, I may go with her to the show, make sure she's asking the right questions and all.

Try to arrange for her to borrow someone's dog for a few days so she has a more realistic understanding of what is involved. At the very least talk her into also getting a Roomba so she doesn't have to vacuum (manually) every day.

Her situation sounds like the equivalent of jumping into the deep end to learn how to swim. She may be capable of doing it, but the learning curve is going to be steeper due to apartment, schedule, lovely cat etc.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

Drum posted:

I don't think it's an ideal situation if the dog is going to be left alone a lot. They're not like cats that you can feel comfortable leaving to their own devices for hours on end. Cardis especially require a ton a physical and mental stimulation, and if they aren't occupied they can get themselves into trouble. We've been training our girl since the day we got her and we still crate her even if we're taking a 15 minute trip to the grocery store. Even an older, well-trained bitch will probably have energy that she needs to burn off- our girl's mother had just given birth to her sixth and final litter and was still playing endless fetch and herding the puppies and adult dogs.

The impression that I've got about the breed from this thread, our breeders, and our own Cardi is that they aren't couch potato loners and are happiest when they are doing an activity with other dogs or their humans. If your sister isn't going to be able or willing to adjust her lifestyle for more together time with the dog I strongly would advise against getting a Cardigan.

Also, for the record, our cat absolutely hates our dog and we constantly supervise them because he will go after her, and crate her in her own room so that we can shut the door and keep the cat out when we aren't home. And another consideration is that corgis are super vocal and barky, which might not be ideal for your sister's neighbors.

If you go with her to the show just encourage her to be honest about her lifestyle and expectations with the breeders and they will be honest about their own assessment for her dog ownership. We had to fill out a screening survey before we got our girl and it covered things like living arrangement, lifestyle, and the expected hours per day the dog would be crated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah sounds like a really bad idea. She's either going to get rid of the dog quickly or the dog is going to hate it's life.

• Locked thread