Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I stand corrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Judakel posted:

Her face is child-like and her demeanor is too soft to play a woman who has been preparing for war since was a child.

They should've altered the character to suit her demeanor more because she is very charismatic.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
I have no problem giving more money to Arnie since I adored the guy ever since I was a child, but after watching T1 and T2 back to back just now (and getting blown away by both films STILL) I really am not sure I wanna see Genesys. Game of thrones lady looks super baby-faced and her acting looks dumb in the trailers, and Jai courtney sucks generally all the time. I just wanna see if there's any positives in this movie since i'm hearing such dour things about it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

polish sausage posted:

I have no problem giving more money to Arnie since I adored the guy ever since I was a child, but after watching T1 and T2 back to back just now (and getting blown away by both films STILL) I really am not sure I wanna see Genesys. Game of thrones lady looks super baby-faced and her acting looks dumb in the trailers, and Jai courtney sucks generally all the time. I just wanna see if there's any positives in this movie since i'm hearing such dour things about it.

The action is pretty great, Arnold is awesome in it, the CGI work on the Terminators is pretty great. I think RLM really summed it up well with 'it's like a Terminator fanfilm showing you everything you liked but done with 2015 CGI'.

Emilia Clarke and Jai Courtney are the worst parts about the film.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Milky Moor posted:

The action is pretty great, Arnold is awesome in it, the CGI work on the Terminators is pretty great. I think RLM really summed it up well with 'it's like a Terminator fanfilm showing you everything you liked but done with 2015 CGI'.

Emilia Clarke and Jai Courtney are the worst parts about the film.

Jai Courtney is worse than Emilia Clarke. I thought Clarke did fine but Courtney is bland as all hell.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Yeah i saw The RLM review too. i'm glad arnold is great, but it really sucks that sarah is "okay"(and she's probably going to be bad for me because I really don't like the look of that actress they picked for her) and jai courtney as reese is a thing that really gets under my skin. Also does all the bullshit in this movie mean that T2 never happens? anyway, I absolutely despised T3 and Terminator salvation, but I actually like that dude who played chekov's version of reese in salvation. At least I kinda could see that dude growing into kyle reese. I guess I'll just see this tonight then and get it out of my system, and just say the same thing that I always do: that the franchise is done after T2 and everything else is fanfiction garbage bullshit.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Popcorn posted:

The lasting icon of the terminator is still the scary endoskeleton, so it's kind of weird it only meaningfully appears in T1. Arnie's been a loveable doofus in every Terminator appearance since.

Here's my question based on the last time I watched T2. Why does Arnie give the thumbs up when he's descending into the lava? I mean the boring explanation is he's saying "everything's OK!!", but really, why? What does it have to do with anything?

It would make sense if it were one of the human gestures John teaches him, but it isn't. It isn't even in the special extended edition. And then I checked the script out of curiosity, and hey! there it is. But the fact that it isn't in the extended cut suggests they didn't even shoot it. I wonder why not.

I like how the finale has Arnold say that he's incapable of showing he cares about John by crying, so he shows it by slowly burning alive (or, well, sort of) in front of his surrogate son while giving a thumb's up. That's not gonna mess the kid up later. Sarah Connor may be a great guerrilla warfare instructor but she's kind of a lovely parent. Send him out of the room before you hit the button at least, the kid's had a rough enough day today.

Edit: Jai Courtney was definitely the weak link in the cast. His being jacked while eking out survival in the apocalypse was kind of funny but not a big deal, but he's just sort of lost and clueless for most of the film. Granted I got that he was the surrogate for fans of the first film who are having their expectations subverted but he just felt like a useless lug, as opposed to Beihn's opportunistic and almost feral portrayal of a dude who shows up in a strange new world, evades a police manhunt and steals enough poo poo to blend in all within one scene.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 7, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wild T posted:

Edit: Jai Courtney was definitely the weak link in the cast. His being jacked while eking out survival in the apocalypse was kind of funny but not a big deal, but he's just sort of lost and clueless for most of the film. Granted I got that he was the surrogate for fans of the first film who are having their expectations subverted but he just felt like a useless lug, as opposed to Beihn's opportunistic and almost feral portrayal of a dude who shows up in a strange new world, evades a police manhunt and steals enough poo poo to blend in all within one scene.

Although on the other hand, ultra-buff Kyle Reese starts to explain how humanity apparently keeps getting fooled by gigantic austrian bodybuilder robots. :v:

Actually Reese starting off incredibly confused when the plot goes off the rails reminded me of the most recent Riddick, where Riddick tries to guess the plot of the movie based on the first one only to get it wrong past the first half.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RBA Starblade posted:

where Riddick tries to guess the plot of the movie based on the first one only to get it wrong past the first half.

How do you figure?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How do you figure?

Partway through the movie he starts telling the mercenaries how it's going to go, and for a while it seems like it's going like how Pitch Black did, but it falls apart when they don't abandon each other (for the most part) and come back for him, among other things (I really need to watch it again). Kyle Reese getting increasingly confused about how it's not going how it's supposed to brought that to mind.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I just saw an interview with Michael Beihn. He's had plastic surgery and doesn't look like himself anymore. Bummer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I just saw an interview with Michael Beihn. He's had plastic surgery and doesn't look like himself anymore. Bummer.

Pretty rude, you know he went through some bad stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Vintersorg posted:

What is this? Old Reese? Hicks, if Alien 3 hadn't happened?

Edit: Ok an actual Old Reese who never went back in time as a young man and never fell in love with Connor showing up as a Terminator-style character in his old age would be pretty cool.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 7, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

Is this from the new Alien movie?

EDIT: It's not. I don't know if that's a shop or something he did for fun.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

polish sausage posted:

Yeah i saw The RLM review too. i'm glad arnold is great, but it really sucks that sarah is "okay"(and she's probably going to be bad for me because I really don't like the look of that actress they picked for her) and jai courtney as reese is a thing that really gets under my skin. Also does all the bullshit in this movie mean that T2 never happens? anyway, I absolutely despised T3 and Terminator salvation, but I actually like that dude who played chekov's version of reese in salvation. At least I kinda could see that dude growing into kyle reese. I guess I'll just see this tonight then and get it out of my system, and just say the same thing that I always do: that the franchise is done after T2 and everything else is fanfiction garbage bullshit.
Not sure how it's meant to be but in my head it's both a sequel and reboot cause the time travel fuckery...and technically it reboots from before T1, it's just that I'm not sure all the stuff in Genesys would happen without the events of T1/2 happening in the first place. Like I dunno, Skynet somehow finds out it failed (twice!), whelp let's try going further back this time.

As far as enjoyment I think the main thing is to go in with an open mind (or just incredibly low expectations, but still open!) cause how much is changed (and again, just general questionable time travel fuckery). Like with Reese in particular you have a kind of nature vs nurture thing going on once he goes back in time, cause in this timeline things are all "wrong" which fucks with his character for a while. It might be the same person but he's thrown into a completely different situation that changes his development.

RBA Starblade posted:

Although on the other hand, ultra-buff Kyle Reese starts to explain how humanity apparently keeps getting fooled by gigantic austrian bodybuilder robots. :v:

Actually Reese starting off incredibly confused when the plot goes off the rails reminded me of the most recent Riddick, where Riddick tries to guess the plot of the movie based on the first one only to get it wrong past the first half.
I was thinking about that the other day, all the acting/script/whatever wouldn't change the visual that he could just as well be another T800 physically. Like part of made Arnold work so well as a terminator was simply how physically imposing he was compared to Connor and Reese and any other normal person, making Reese a jacked up super soldier takes away that basic contrast and lessens both him and the terminator. Or alternatively makes the terminator more human/relatable...but still takes away from Reese cause he's just as much a physical freak vs normal guy overcoming everything.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

polish sausage posted:

Yeah i saw The RLM review too. i'm glad arnold is great, but it really sucks that sarah is "okay"(and she's probably going to be bad for me because I really don't like the look of that actress they picked for her) and jai courtney as reese is a thing that really gets under my skin. Also does all the bullshit in this movie mean that T2 never happens?
T2 happens, just not in the particular timeline you see in Genisys.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

japtor posted:

I was thinking about that the other day, all the acting/script/whatever wouldn't change the visual that he could just as well be another T800 physically.

Yeah, you have Reese being hulked out like a Terminator, you have the resistance using their own infiltration unit (the remote-controlled endoskeleton) to get access to an enemy base, it's almost building up to some theme of the resistance becoming more like Skynet in this new timeline, but does that actually go anywhere?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, you have Reese being hulked out like a Terminator, you have the resistance using their own infiltration unit (the remote-controlled endoskeleton) to get access to an enemy base, it's almost building up to some theme of the resistance becoming more like Skynet in this new timeline, but does that actually go anywhere?

Down to John Connor literally giving birth to Skynet and you're asking if it actually goes anywhere?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Or he might have just aged 30 years.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
A youngish baby face Sarah does kind of work. She may have been trained by Arnold but she's still young in 1984. It's basically T1 Linda Hamilton only a bit more fit vs having the crazy drive and experience to mold her into Sarah of T2. This Sarah has Pops so her youth kind of works imo to show how at this point she's trying to shoulder a burden she may not have been quite ready for compares to her experience that lead to T2. Linda in T2 wouldn't need Pops. Instead she sees the T800 more as a peer or equal.

I'm also coming around to some of what SMG is saying. I do like Skynet growing with each loop and other timelines and adapting itself.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

Down to John Connor literally giving birth to Skynet and you're asking if it actually goes anywhere?

;)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

AlternateAccount posted:

Or he might have just aged 30 years.

Maybe you can't tell "bad plastic surgery" from "aging" but I can.

Left - Beihn from 8 years ago in Grindhouse. Right - Beihn from interview this year. Did "aging" do that to his brow and forehead?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ruby idiot railed posted:

Somehow the image of John as the Alien Queen in Aliens 4 came to my head giving literal birth to Skynet and I'm horrified I had this thought.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Left - Beihn from 8 years ago in Grindhouse. Right - Beihn from interview this year. Did "aging" do that to his brow and forehead?

He looks like he aged eight years.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

He looks like he aged eight years.

Not to mention one shot is during a film shoot where every measure is taken to make him look as good as possible. The other is just a candid shot from an interview taken at some random moment where he was in the middle of a sentence.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gatts posted:

Somehow the image of John as the Alien Queen in Aliens 4 came to my head giving literal birth to Skynet and I'm horrified I had this thought.

Matt Smith does look a little like The Newborn now that you mention it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Apparently not.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

polish sausage posted:

Blah blah only James Cameron matters blah blah.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think its cause his forehead is silky smooth.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Bad lighting or bad botox, goons decide!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Immortan posted:

Blah blah only James Cameron matters blah blah.

At this point, I would pass on a James Cameron directed Terminator.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

In one shot he's doing a typical actor-face where he's furrowing his brow to look as badass as possible. In the other shot he has a completely neutral expression so there's no reason for his forehead to look the same it does in the other shot. Its pointless to compare the two.

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
I thought liquid metal terminators were already made of nanobots...?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

crusader_complex posted:

Sure, but they seem to be a different type of nanobots, or at least designed for a different function.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

crusader_complex posted:

T-1000 is just liquid metal that's programmed to reshape itself. Whatever nonsense words T2 used to explain it.

And the T-X I don't THINK was stated to have nanobots, in theory she has the endo skeleton of a regular Terminator with a liquid metal covering for better disguises.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mimetic poly-alloy is not nano-bots. Like, not at all. Lets try to think things through a little bit before we post tia.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Burkion posted:

T-1000 is just liquid metal that's programmed to reshape itself. Whatever nonsense words T2 used to explain it.

And the T-X I don't THINK was stated to have nanobots, in theory she has the endo skeleton of a regular Terminator with a liquid metal covering for better disguises.

In a sense I think Arnold is like a TX now. Unless he did completely upgrade to a T1000 by removing his chip and leaving his frame behind. I don't think so because of how iconic the endoskeleton is though it'd make some sense to leave behind a failing body.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I kind of hope not if he's going to be in the two sequels, as it would allow for him to stay distinct from whatever they're fighting in those. If we were in an age where all information about a movie's story wasn't leaked long before the movie is released it would make for a great moment where some other character in a movie turns out to be Arnold out of nowhere while still being able to have some weight from the skeleton frame during action scenes. Like everyone has said about the action, in general, Arnold being heavy was like the only thing the movie kind of got right, be a shame to lose even that. Plus like everyone says, the two things that ARE the Terminator franchise are Arnold and the endoskeleton design.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 7, 2015

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Gatts posted:

In a sense I think Arnold is like a TX now. Unless he did completely upgrade to a T1000 by removing his chip and leaving his frame behind. I don't think so because of how iconic the endoskeleton is though it'd make some sense to leave behind a failing body.

Yeah, I think he kept it all too. When he breaks into the bunker using a blade, it's only the missing arm that has transformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The liquid metal needing a Terminator CPU to work was weird to me, unless it's a shortcut to some process that was used to program them in the future. Robert Patrick got frozen and shattered into thousands of tiny pieces and melted back down into small, shallow puddles, and we see both him and the T-1000 in this movie go wafer thin to hide on surfaces. I don't think there was enough room to hide a big chunky CPU the size of the ones we see in the movies. Maybe the CPUs are forwards-compatible or something, or I'm other thinking a prop that was set up solely to for Arnie to get robobaptized and be born again.

• Locked thread