Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

builds character posted:

Does this include trikes? Also, that is a nice picture. How was the whole ride?

Have you seen him with the helmet off?

more like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

KARMA! posted:

more like

Where have Sampson's glorious locks gone?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

builds character posted:

They were out there, but not many.

It was quite the adventure. Rained pretty much the whole time, so we couldn't rail the roads like we wanted. We pulled out of the resort to ride the dragon, and the first bunch of miles was literally a big oil slick on our side of the road.

We rode a 4 hr loop that included Cherahola, which was the highlight for me. The road was completely empty, alternating between pouring rain, blinding fog, and brutally chilly wind. I was diving in and out of fog banks atop the mountain with no one else around, barely able to see, soaking wet (waterproof my rear end, astars jacket and fieldsheer pants :argh:) and freezing cold, and it was loving awesome!!

bonus: the view from our campsite

I had a fantastic time. I'm pretty sure all my stuff is still damp.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Which GoPro do you have?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

2 and a 3+ black.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yikes

I'm a Knoxville native and your pictures are making me homesick.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

M42 posted:

bonus: the view from our campsite

Dear M -

I routinely schlepped a heavy rear end large format camera through the wilderness and waited for days to get the lighting and composition just right before committing. Then I schlepped it all back home and painstakingly processed the negatives and prints using techniques it took me decades to refine.

So...I'm now going to reanimate for 24 hours just to come kick your rear end.

- Ansel Adams

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marv Hushman posted:

Dear M -

I routinely schlepped a heavy rear end large format camera through the wilderness and waited for days to get the lighting and composition just right before committing. Then I schlepped it all back home and painstakingly processed the negatives and prints using techniques it took me decades to refine.

So...I'm now going to reanimate for 24 hours just to come kick your rear end.

- Ansel Adams

I am terrified that eventually motorcycling will be as safe and simple as photography has become. :ohdear:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I am terrified that eventually motorcycling will be as safe and simple as photography driving has become. :ohdear:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

builds character posted:

Have you seen him with the helmet off?

M42s pictures with her double go pros reminded me about my gap videos so I went back to them. Turns out premiere makes it real easy to do multi cam editing. I quit after I ran into the other bikes at like 8 minutes or something but I swapped between views up until then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3O6-FKQ21Q

Flowing brown locks as promised.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hold on there! Driving is still pretty dangerous, spend enough time in the car and you might run over a motorcyclist.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

nsaP posted:

M42s pictures with her double go pros reminded me about my gap videos so I went back to them. Turns out premiere makes it real easy to do multi cam editing. I quit after I ran into the other bikes at like 8 minutes or something but I swapped between views up until then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3O6-FKQ21Q

Flowing brown locks as promised.

I'm not sure what made you think we wanted the butt cam?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Backov posted:

If I've learned anything from life, it's that you should never turn down a buttcam from a longhair.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Backov posted:

What makes you think the rest of us don't want butt cam?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

I've spent the last two weeks on craigslist looking at these three bikes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Haha, I spotted my old bike on ADVrider. It's red now.

Brief review from new owner pretty much lines up with my experiences:

quote:

Came with gutted muffler, EFI retune (ERB race ECM) and extra ECM. Cable and tuning software. opened up airbox. Bike is all I had hoped it would be and more. Handling and suspension are unreal. Motor is very good and powerful just a little obnoxious under 30 mph. The heat coming off the right side and stupid turn radius are my only two real complaints. Rear brake needs some pads or something, has zero feel. Got the bike last thursday and have already put 650 miles on it. First real ride was 462 miles and I still wanted more. Fun bike.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 8, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Being put to good use I'd say

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah, guy put over 600 miles on it since he got it a week ago. I hope it rolls 100k.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

M42 posted:

We rode a 4 hr loop that included Cherahola, which was the highlight for me. The road was completely empty, alternating between pouring rain, blinding fog, and brutally chilly wind. I was diving in and out of fog banks atop the mountain with no one else around, barely able to see, soaking wet (waterproof my rear end, astars jacket and fieldsheer pants :argh:) and freezing cold, and it was loving awesome!!

I did the Cherahola in the rain and fog and cold in March 2014. On a drz400. Awesome experience. I wouldn't do it again at that temperature (freezing) but I'm glad we did it. I had a blast and I'll never forget it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:perfect:

2007 Ninja 250 with 7200 miles on it.

Picked it up last night. Turned out to be about ten times better than I could have ever expected, and waaay better than any ninjette I've seen listed. The guy was selling to buy an engagement ring, and was the second owner of the bike since 1000 miles in 2008. It was clearly his baby and immaculately cared for. Forget what tires it has on it, but they are nice and so new they still have the paint strips and rubber strips hanging off all over, even the middle. He said they had 50 miles on them, and I believe him. New battery, oil, and a number of other normal things were done to it at the same time. Brakes are strong, firm, and responsive, which I was NOT expecting. Suspension is the same. Nothing is squishy or springy. In fact, it feels a lot like my SV, which had gsxr suspension and awesome brakes. I'm not sure how an ex250 can be this good. It rides like it just rolled off the lot. Switches and petcocks and clutch and everything, including the trip meter reset, feel new, yet have light cosmetic wear to show they aren't. Seat is very comfortable, as is the bike as a whole. I fit on it perfectly, with room to spare (which I didn't expect in a million years).

The paint is incredible. It is original, from everything that I can see. Some sort of bright candy apple red, with a little bit of metallic. The stupid flame stickers were removed prior to his ownership, so basically right after the bike was purchased. Headlight looks clear and shiny and new, yet everything is original. I am very happy with how bright and clear the headlight is, as prior experience has made me afraid to ride at night. The controls are all very well laid out, as well as the mirrors and cluster. It's like everything is placed exactly where you would want it as a rider, yet very cleanly. Nothing is busy or distracting.

The exhaust is stock, and I love it. It's a glorious ptwin screaming soundstage, just for me. Doesn't draw attention, and the bike is very quiet when I want it to be. I've never ridden a bike a soothing as this. That's the only word I can come back to. It's calming and soothing and fun. I love how everything sounds, at all rpm levels. I love the smooth linear power output. It's plenty for highway, street, anything, given my current riding habits. In fact, I love that when I lose my head and get in the moment, I don't stop with a guilty thought of "That was irresponsible, I could have crashed" but instead am just going a sane speed.

It's so thin and light that lanesplitting and filtering are no problem. I fit through areas I didn't think I could, with no issues. Yet had no trouble getting out of the hole well in front of anyone else.

Really, I can't get over how completely perfect this bike is on every level. I don't understand why they are universally treated like some sort of "learner penance" . I should have gotten this bike from the start. I'm in love with this ninjette. I paid 1700 for it, and couldn't be happier. Especially compared to what a shitbox the KLR was, for only 200 less.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I had that exactly same bike as my first bike, a red '07. Fun little bike, was great to learn on and gave me no trouble except for cold starts on cold days took a lot of choke fiddlin'.
I would love to get on one again after going from that to an FZ6 and now to an R1, I have no idea what a 'slow' bike feels like anymore!

It was weird redlining the thing and not even breaking the speed limit, now I can go faster in 1st than the 250 did in 6th!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Feelgood post of the week! Glad to see that your theft didn't leave you on the side of the road for long.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Awesome. Good. Well done.

Why did the pregen soldier on for so long in the US anyway?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Nobody else was selling anything to compete against it for a long time. It was literally the only decent, commonly available 250cc non-dualsport sold here for over a decade. Up until the CBR250R came over here in 2011, there wasn't anything else comparable here.

Stuff like the SR250, VTR250, GSXR250, FZX250, etc were either never sold here, or stopped being sold here in the late 80's/early 90's. Now we've got the CBR300R, the R3, the GW250, all showing up, so they had to finally give us an updated Ninjette, but there wasn't any real reason to update it between 1990 and 2011 or so.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I have fond memories of my little red 250 as well, my first bike. I sold it far too soon.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Coydog posted:

Picked it up last night. Turned out to be about ten times better than I could have ever expected, and waaay better than any ninjette I've seen listed.

Nice, congrats! I love my little Ninjette still. Ride it every day when the temp is 40 and above.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Coydog posted:

completely perfect

Concur.

For accessories, consider a Louisville Slugger, slab-side Ruger Mark III with a red dot scope, deranged pit bull, GPS tracker, and some sort of remote kill switch.

Or just wheel the thing into your crib and sleep next to it with one eye open. No one could blame you at this point.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hey, thanks so much peeps. I really appreciate all the positive feedback and personal experiences with this bike. I'm torn between leaving the rear fender as is in all it's glory, or cutting it off and moving the signals into the tail. Amber indicators to replace the red blanks next to the brake light are cheap, and the end result looks really good.

Slavvy posted:

Well, because the bike is an excellent package. I feel fortunate to have such an 80s-tastic bike, without the wear that a 20 year old bike would come with. The styling on this thing is so good I can't get over it.

Oh yeah, and because Americans are dumb ox's that think anything less than 1000cc or FAHVE HUNERT WHORESPAWARR is an affront to the core of their very fragile ego. It's a shame, because I love the small, nimble, bikes that the rest of the world gets. At least that tide is starting to shift.

Marv Hushman posted:

Concur.

For accessories, consider a Louisville Slugger, slab-side Ruger Mark III with a red dot scope, deranged pit bull, GPS tracker, and some sort of remote kill switch.

Or just wheel the thing into your crib and sleep next to it with one eye open. No one could blame you at this point.

I'll admit, I occasionally go out to check if it's still there, late at night. Or in the daytime. It's locked to something sturdy, but they could just disassemble the rear to get it off. The alarm might not even sound. It's covered, too, which I hope helps. I'll get an alarmed rotor lock for the front, and hope that makes it good. It's nice to have a bike with a steering lock, though!

And a center stand!!!! Lubing the chain yesterday was a breeze, once I figured out how to pop it up on the center stand.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Very nice 250! What bike did you have stolen?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Coydog posted:

Hey, thanks so much peeps. I really appreciate all the positive feedback and personal experiences with this bike. I'm torn between leaving the rear fender as is in all it's glory, or cutting it off and moving the signals into the tail. Amber indicators to replace the red blanks next to the brake light are cheap, and the end result looks really good.

I ended up installing little independent turn signals next to my license plate because the blinkers next to the taillight were hard enough to see in traffic that I got beeped at a couple of times. Although it is technically possible that they were honking because they were horny.

I have the same type of minimalist-plate-no-fender setup on my Ninjette as the one in that photo and I just put a couple of L-brackets on the plate screws and wired the cheap new signals into where the old bulbs used to be.

Edit: I don't have amber lenses next to my brake-light; mine are still factory red.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
They all come with red there, with no bulbs in it, to my knowledge. You can buy the following kits (I need to check for better amber prices) that replace those red angled parts with signals. Looks really clean. I'm going to follow your L bracket example.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amber-Kawas...f795f78&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pair-Clear...2ac5a29&vxp=mtr

Dutymode posted:

Very nice 250! What bike did you have stolen?

Thanks! KLR250. It lasted about 48 hours in my possession before getting ghosted. Getting that sorted out, given that I didn't have time to register it beforehand, is an ongoing nightmare. It will be another month or more before the state will get around to sending my insurance company a special title, as they wont give me one. Because it was stolen. All the police reports and stuff is in order, so I trust it will turn out ok.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Weird, didn't know the 250 and 500 had a different tail light setup. Mine came with integrated lights+modulator.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Coydog posted:

Holy poo poo that thing was a garage queen. I'm right under 4k on my 2015 Ninja 300.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm having a hard time coming to grips with how great it's condition is. Even things like wiring are still perfectly tucked away in the fairing like they came from the factory, with only a little bit of dust maybe. Compared to your 4k in less than a year, this low mileage is nice. Granted, most people don't ride as much as we do.

Grats on your 300. Those things look sharp.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

E:nm

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

M42 posted:

white helmet gold visor 4 lyfe

ftfy. Spaceman style.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Coydog posted:

It looks way better without that lovely tail but according to my research this is illegal in California because the blinkers are not far enough from the tail light. Needs something like 4 inches I think? Mines setup like that with the stock red blanks hough and nobody has ever said anything to me so unless you get a lovely cop you'd probably be fine.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ziploc posted:

ftfy. Spaceman style.

invalid unless the rest of your gear is white :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Flat black helmet gold mirror visor end of story