Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Magmarashi posted:

They eventually got it working!

They even did re-balancing patches as well, that's more than you can say about Beth on FO3

Re-balancing a terrible game still leaves you with a terrible game.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You are speaking to someone who thinks people will keep the same culture for hundreds of years and probably unironically thinks Rome is still full of legionaries, I'm not sure bugs are high on the list of priorities of concern to him considering Fallout 3's last build is buggier than New Vegas' first patch

And here we have someone who's never seen a ranch before, or do you think that no one farms anymore because it happened 200 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You are speaking to someone who thinks people will keep the same culture for hundreds of years and probably unironically thinks Rome is still full of legionaries

I'm sorry, but what are you talking about?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm sorry, but what are you talking about?

Just a discussion a few pages back where a few people thought that there was no way anyone in the Fallout universe would know anything about the world before the war. It's not worth starting back up.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

JackBadass posted:

And here we have someone who's never seen a ranch before, or do you think that no one farms anymore because it happened 200 years ago?
Are you talking about yourself here?

JackBadass posted:

Just a discussion a few pages back where a few people thought that there was no way anyone in the Fallout universe would know anything about the world before the war. It's not worth starting back up.
I'm not quite sure that's what the discussion was about but okay :downs:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Bicyclops posted:

I like that for all the black baseball bats it says

Modifications:
  • Black

Unfortunately, this modification is only available if you preordered Destiny.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Delsaber posted:

with the Red Bull Monster Brew pack

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Delsaber posted:

You can buy the season pass for only $80 to get the black bat and an in game live strong bracelet.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

JackBadass posted:

Re-balancing a terrible game still leaves you with a terrible game.

What is it like to be wrong all the time? Surely it must get frustrating after a while.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What is it like to be wrong all the time? Surely it must get frustrating after a while.
tbf it is a valid reason to enjoy Fallout 3 over New Vegas for the more gradual difficulty curve, the amount of shoot and loot dungeons it has, and the more bombed-out atmosphere which are all valid personal taste things, unfortunately those were not the arguments he presented

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 8, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

with the Red Bull Monster Brew pack

The limited-edition Monster Brew DLC causes your character to occasionally hear developer commentary in his or her head. Transitioning between interior and exterior cells might cause a clip of T. Howard stammering about "honestly, there are some realistic limitations of a 'true sandbox environment' on the Creation engine that we all need to realize." Trying to remove an item from your inventory that has suddenly became a immovable quest item may trigger a "we felt that the chance of a player throwing away a quest item was too high so here...well, here I guess you could say we used a little developer Magic to glue these items into their inventory for safekeeping." Falling through the worldspace into the impossible grey void below possibly causes T. Howard to talk about how Valve's QA program involves sitting functioning-retards and invalids in front of their games until they figure out how to make them impossible to break or fail, and how that has "robbed games of their wild animal spirits that have come to define gaming vérité."

Also, the DLC gives you a permanent and periodic "concussion" effect.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

JOHN FALLOUT: Eat lead, raider scum! This is for Jane, my wife!

TODD HOWARD [in V.O.]: We felt this combat bark would really bring home that the main character was going to shoot a raider and that it was for his wife.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

New Leaf posted:

Can't wait to be Wasteland Charlie Kelly with my Rat Stick!

I honestly hope this will end up being a unique weapon. Though you can make it with the modular system.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The limited-edition Monster Brew DLC causes your character to occasionally hear developer commentary in his or her head. Transitioning between interior and exterior cells might cause a clip of T. Howard stammering about "honestly, there are some realistic limitations of a 'true sandbox environment' on the Creation engine that we all need to realize." Trying to remove an item from your inventory that has suddenly became a immovable quest item may trigger a "we felt that the chance of a player throwing away a quest item was too high so here...well, here I guess you could say we used a little developer Magic to glue these items into their inventory for safekeeping." Falling through the worldspace into the impossible grey void below possibly causes T. Howard to talk about how Valve's QA program involves sitting functioning-retards and invalids in front of their games until they figure out how to make them impossible to break or fail, and how that has "robbed games of their wild animal spirits that have come to define gaming vérité."

I really enjoy these looks behind the scenes. That one earlier about the controller getting hot and burning your hands was pretty interesting too, they're trying some cutting edge stuff.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think those assault rifles look fine as home-made lovely guns; hopefully there'll be conventional pre-apocalypse weapons as well. It would make no sense for them to replace every rifle with that weird Browning design.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

steinrokkan posted:

I think those assault rifles look fine as home-made lovely guns; hopefully there'll be conventional pre-apocalypse weapons as well. It would make no sense for them to replace every rifle with that weird Browning design.

That or museum pieces and prototypes brought out of mothballs by looters thinking anything they found in pre-war saves/vaults is to be pressed into service. There's a rechargable laser musket for god's sake.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Lotish posted:

That or museum pieces and prototypes brought out of mothballs by looters thinking anything they found in pre-war saves/vaults is to be pressed into service. There's a rechargable laser musket for god's sake.

If I can't recreate Lexington and Concord against the Brotherhood of Steel in complete redcoat regalia, I'll consider this a failure.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

Presumably the "laser musket" is purely a popular designation that has nothing to do with historical muskets, except for using manual power for reload.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The commentary is customized for each environment; whether on the PC, the XBox One, or the PS4, Todd Howard will tell you that the team was focused specifically for your device, and with the control schemes of that device in the back of their minds the whole time.

Fooz posted:

I think it looks neato.

Me too, the weapons look really fun.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

steinrokkan posted:

Presumably the "laser musket" is purely a popular designation that has nothing to do with historical muskets, except for using manual power for reload.

If it's not a real 18th century musket retrofitted with laser things, I'm going to smash my computer.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Holy poo poo I would kill for there to be an ACTUAL Musket unique Laser Musket that had iron sights and hit like an elephant gun.

(I am already a history nerd, no one need tell me the fact that those muskets were inaccurate as garbage, I'm willing to suspend my belief for a fun gun.)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

im not a fan of the assault rifle design also.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sandwolf posted:

Holy poo poo I would kill for there to be an ACTUAL Musket unique Laser Musket that had iron sights and hit like an elephant gun.

(I am already a history nerd, no one need tell me the fact that those muskets were inaccurate as garbage, I'm willing to suspend my belief for a fun gun.)

There should be an actual musket that takes half a minute to reload, shoots in a random direction, and blinds you with black powder gases.

Actually it would make sense for simple communities to return to the pre-rifle, pre-non-smoke-powder state, simply due to lacking the industrial basis to support modern weapons.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A laser sighted blunderbuss with homing, spinning razor bats attached to each round that you fire. Each person you murder with it will say "But... why?" and Johnny Fallout will stamp out his cigarette and say "They don't have to taste like apple son. These are what the Monster Crew wields... today."

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Modders are already working on stuff

One fellow, Zealotlee is working on the Rail Rifle V2, and gave a link to check out: http://imgur.com/gallery/f4d4m Pics too big to post here without people complaining (like they need an excuse apparently) But it looks pretty sweet. Excerpts from the gallery..

The Rail Rifle will have multiple modifications available. Each modification will alter the gun's performance in some way. So far you will be able to choose different barrels, muzzle breaks, stocks, and soon to be grips. Optics will be available as well.

Each barrel and modifications will have some sort of effect. The long marksman barrel has a lower rate of fire but higher accuracy and damage. The medium assault barrel is middle of the road stat wise. The short CQB barrel has the highest rate of fire but lowest damage and accuracy. Weight will also be a factor.

The sights have been switched to a proper MG 42 sight for the standard iron sights. Optics will come later more than likely. I am waiting to see what kind of optics Fallout 4 has to offer before I make anything other than the iron sights. When optics are equipped the iron sights fold down.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Wow, those look pretty good. I'm glad we're getting plasma flamers (and presumably regular flamers, too) and electrifying Junk Jet mods and poo poo, that system looks like it's going to be fun as hell to mess around with. Not sure about that rifle, looks kinda steampunk-y, like it came out of a bad Bioshock ripoff, but it looks like some of the mods make it look decent and I'm psyched that you can silence it. Goddamn, actually starting to get unironically hyped for this game.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Rabidredneck posted:

Modders are already working on stuff

One fellow, Zealotlee is working on the Rail Rifle V2, and gave a link to check out: http://imgur.com/gallery/f4d4m Pics too big to post here without people complaining (like they need an excuse apparently) But it looks pretty sweet. Excerpts from the gallery..

The Rail Rifle will have multiple modifications available. Each modification will alter the gun's performance in some way. So far you will be able to choose different barrels, muzzle breaks, stocks, and soon to be grips. Optics will be available as well.

Each barrel and modifications will have some sort of effect. The long marksman barrel has a lower rate of fire but higher accuracy and damage. The medium assault barrel is middle of the road stat wise. The short CQB barrel has the highest rate of fire but lowest damage and accuracy. Weight will also be a factor.

The sights have been switched to a proper MG 42 sight for the standard iron sights. Optics will come later more than likely. I am waiting to see what kind of optics Fallout 4 has to offer before I make anything other than the iron sights. When optics are equipped the iron sights fold down.

:psyduck:

frajaq fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 8, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Roobanguy posted:

im not a fan of the assault rifle design also.

I think the biggest problem is that they're calling it an assault rifle-It's just too big. Heavy Machine Gun sure, since judging by its appearance it's basically a Maxim Gun with a stock, but the term "Assault Rifle" brings to mind something the average person can lift without needing the arms of a gorilla.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I hope to god they stopped being lazy and made unique weapons that look distinct from the normal weapons. If Obsidian can take the time off in their <12 month development to do that, I'm sure it's feasible for Bethesda to do it too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

steinrokkan posted:

There should be an actual musket that takes half a minute to reload, shoots in a random direction, and blinds you with black powder gases.

Yeah, there should be a plasma musket that lobs a golf ball of green jelly in the general direction of your target while detonating a radioactive flashbang in your face.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Honestly I'm really excited for modders to get their hands on this. We've already got a lot of kickass stuff for New Vegas (especially with Millenia's work). Imagine actually letting them have an expansive easy-to-use customization system to play with.

inb4 penis jokes

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

I hope to god they stopped being lazy and made unique weapons that look distinct from the normal weapons. If Obsidian can take the time off in their <12 month development to do that, I'm sure it's feasible for Bethesda to do it too.

Ubisoft estimated that putting women in their games would raise the budget upwards to a billion dollars. Bethesda added women to their games. What you are asking would put the budget up to, at minimum, ten billion dollars. Women or unique uniques. You decide!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

SunAndSpring posted:

With how insane the weapon customization seems, I actually wonder if they'll bother to add unique/named weapons...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

With how insane the weapon customization seems, I actually wonder if they'll bother to add unique/named weapons...

Maybe there'll be unique parts instead?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Maybe they can have unique *parts* and some of those parts are assembled into a unique gun, but you can take some parts and put them into other guns. Like "Razorripper Chain" and "The Bubbler Barrel."

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Maybe there'll be unique parts instead?

"Oh sweet I found an awesome unique weapon!" *mercilessly breaks it down and cannibalizes to other weapons*

Actually that sounds pretty great

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

frajaq posted:

"Oh sweet I found an awesome unique weapon!" *mercilessly breaks it down and cannibalizes to other weapons*

Actually that sounds pretty great

It reminds me a little of the 7 Days to Die weapon quality system they added in A11. Each individual weapon part has its own quality level, and I think it takes an average of the parts to determine the quality of the final weapon.

Personally I'd rather have it be broken down so each section of the gun has its own individual stat (barrel is accuracy and damage, receiver is damage, grip is iron sight sway, stock is accuracy and melee attack damage, etc.) and thus be able to kitbash your own weapon with totally unique stats, or min-max like a motherfucker.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm still curious about the ability to set up caravans between your mini-towns and turrets and other stuff you can make. This is something you don't see in a lot of games period, much less a sprawling RPG like Fallout.

Even if you can only build in designated areas it's going to be pretty interesting.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's this obscure game called Stranded II made by one guy like ten years ago. If the base building module of FO4 lives up to that standard, I'll be more than happy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

It reminds me a little of the 7 Days to Die weapon quality system they added in A11. Each individual weapon part has its own quality level, and I think it takes an average of the parts to determine the quality of the final weapon.

Personally I'd rather have it be broken down so each section of the gun has its own individual stat (barrel is accuracy and damage, receiver is damage, grip is iron sight sway, stock is accuracy and melee attack damage, etc.) and thus be able to kitbash your own weapon with totally unique stats, or min-max like a motherfucker.

I wonder if they're going to have a reaction speed/mobility stat tied to things like the size of the barrel so short barrels aren't just for "I want to make a gun with poo poo accuracy/reduced range."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lotish posted:

I wonder if they're going to have a reaction speed/mobility stat tied to things like the size of the barrel so short barrels aren't just for "I want to make a gun with poo poo accuracy/reduced range."
There's dynamic bloom so there's the possibility that it might make it go to minimum bloom quicker. Not that they'd code it that way, it'll probably be dumb bullshit like "weighs less"

• Locked thread